: Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread

nfavor
11-15-12, 01:32 PM
I'm kind of surprised there isn't a sticky for this but here's my initial go at it. (I hope the board moderators can have a sticky post with the current Cue version, what changed, when it was released, etc.) Cue is OK but it has rough edges for sure. I encourage others to submit their suggestions.

* iPhone via USB - Cover art for same song but different band doesn't update / stays same
* Doesn't return to navigation - when I have navigation up, take a call with the hands free button (and don't touch anything else) Cue screen never returns to navigation, even after call ends. Agh!
* Voice prompts not short enough - On other new Chevy's I could start talking before the beep (if quick enough) and issue a command before (and it would accept it). Even with Short Prompts, I have to hear the lady ask me to issue a command EVERY SINGLE TIME. /cry
* If there is just one match for *anything* just go ahead and do it. I don't need to confirm it. If it's "wrong" it's still quicker to hit the cancel button and start a new command vs. waiting for the car to speak the command and speak a reply to it. Yeah I know the 5 way can help with this some, but seriously, why confirm if there just one match??? I know this may not be for everyone, but please give me option so I can enable this behavior.
* Voice input for Navigation to Address - sort of same as above, but if I confirm it on the smaller display, why do I need to hit "Go" on the Cue display? I know these are somewhat separate systems, but the additional "Go" confirmation seems redundant.
* Prompt length zero / errors only - only have the car talk if I make a mistake, if I take too long to reply, etc. Even with "Short Prompts" the car talks WAY too much. I've had the car for two weeks. I know most of the menu's and don't need the unsolicited prompts/"help" all the time.

danscrim
11-15-12, 02:51 PM
* If i pick a song with the steering wheel controls... and then later navigate to the music search section it will bring me back to the playlist or album I selected the current song from. Perfect. However if I click the album icon (or browse button) on the 8" display it won't bring me to that album or playlist I selected the current song from. It will bring me back to the last album/playlist I selected from that 8" display. (or just to the main browse page if i haven't done this since starting the car). Basically, the last browsing location needs to be shared across the 8" display and the Driver Information Center (DIC).

* When I click browse it always seems to default to "Genre" which is pretty useless for me. Maybe it should be customizable?

* Sometimes, the DIC locks up on me. It has happened in two instances... one was when it was indexing my SD card... It just showed the yellow circle (animating) but the 5-way controller was seemingly disabled. Couldn't go back or scroll up/down to other sections. Couldn't even highlight one of the side panels. The other time happens (sometimes) when I swipe directions from the 8" display over to the DIC. It may be when the navigation panel is already selected in the main screen on the DIC and then you swipe. The directions work fine but I cannot use the 5-way controller to highlight anything other than navigation... can't get to phone, audio, etc.

* When cruise control is enabled it automatically takes up the right side on my DIC. That's fine. But when it is turned off... it should reset the view I had before I enabled cruise. So I usually have the average MPG there. Once cruise control is turned off (not just disengaged) It should go back to average MPG. Right now it just stays at "Cruise Set to OFF" and i have to change it back to average MPG.

* I have a favorite to call a contact in my phonebook. When my phone is not in the car or not connected to bluetooth it will disable that favorite. Great. However sometimes when I get in the car and my phone connects it doesn't re-enable that favorite.

* Allow us to disable certain "media" sources. I will almost never use a CD so I'd rather not scroll through it every time. Same for AUX in.

* When I mute the system, it should pause the song I'm playing (if it's an iPod, SD, etc). Restart once I unmute.

* Support for reading/sending texts and emails? That is also in my CUE manual but isn't supported yet.

* Sometimes I get the same weather alert multiple times without even moving. Other times it occurs every few minutes when I'm driving. Other times it works perfectly.

* Not necessarily CUE related... but what happened with "adaptive remote start?" It has options for "auto defog" and "auto rear defrost" but why not "auto heated seats" or "auto heated steering wheel" ?

I love CUE, but the original poster is right... it's a bit rough around the edges. Hopefully people at Cadillac will look for reviews such as these for direction on future improvement.

----------

* Voice prompts not short enough - On other new Chevy's I could start talking before the beep (if quick enough) and issue a command before (and it would accept it). Even with Short Prompts, I have to hear the lady ask me to issue a command EVERY SINGLE TIME. /cry

You can interrupt her and get straight to the beep by hitting the voice command while she's talking I believe. You can also change the prompt length in the settings. I set mine to short and it definitely helps.

jamboarder
11-15-12, 04:03 PM
* Voice input for Navigation to Address - sort of same as above, but if I confirm it on the smaller display, why do I need to hit "Go" on the Cue display? I know these are somewhat separate systems, but the additional "Go" confirmation seems redundant.

They're not supposed to be separate. In fact they're connected on the same bus and share the same core data. So yes, what nfavor said plus:

* In shuffle mode, remember the previously played songs so that I can use the previous button to replay the song I just heard instead of selecting another random song.
* MTP support called out in ATS manual but not in CUE manual. My android phone (GNex) uses MTP support for access to its music library, but it doesn't appear to work (I just use bluetooth streaming which works really well including track changes).

Don't get me wrong. A LOT of what CUE does, it does really well. But here's us trying to make Caddy even better. :-)

nfavor
11-15-12, 05:33 PM
* Allow us to disable certain "media" sources. I will almost never use a CD so I'd rather not scroll through it every time. Same for AUX in.

* Support for reading/sending texts and emails? That is also in my CUE manual but isn't supported yet.

I love CUE, but the original poster is right... it's a bit rough around the edges. Hopefully people at Cadillac will look for reviews such as these for direction on future improvement.

----------

You can interrupt her and get straight to the beep by hitting the voice command while she's talking I believe. You can also change the prompt length in the settings. I set mine to short and it definitely helps.

The media sources is a good suggestion. Furthermore, I wish I could save an input as a favorite. (Say USB in one click. Shortest route currently seems to be voice "Input USB". I can touch through Media on the Cue display, but like you said, I have to skip over inputs that I'll never use. (line in, CD, etc.)

The sending and reading email/texts is something that had me wondering too. I just figured it was something related to the XTS that we didn't get. The passenger TV displays in the headrests are mentioned somewhere too in the manual and figured those were XTS related as well. However, it never says its specific to certain models!

I'll admit it's not a common address but "48 East North Broadway, Columbus, Ohio" seems to be impossible for Cue to accurately understand. Cue broke it down into sections and still didn't come very close. Eventually, I had to call an OnStar Operator and Store it as a favorite. (I've since had other people try as well, female and male both, and Cue doesn't come even close)

I have the prompts already set to short and they are already entirely too long for me. Cue really needs an expert mode. At this rate, the Handsfree Call button, Call Cancel button and the 5-way navigator will be worn out in my car in under a year by me just trying to get Cue to do what I want faster. The iPad Cue app has an expert skill level, can I get same on the Cue in my car please? Listening and responding to voice prompts is soooooo slooooowwww. Then if it misunderstands you...

AZCADATS
11-15-12, 08:52 PM
I agree with all of the ideas stated above, and hopefully Cadillac will be able to implement some of them in the near future with an update.

I found that by saving a playlist on each device as a favorite, I can switch to that media source by just tapping on the playlist. So perhaps a temporary solution would be to create a playlist with the name of the device and store one song (if that is even necessary), then mark that playlist as favorite. It beats switching through all them media sources that are not used. The only downside is that it takes awhile for the media playlists to cue up.

Has anyone had their ipod freeze after just a few songs being played once starting up the car? It's happened several times with me and I'm not sure if it's because of an issue with the newest 160gb ipod classic.

Denchikd
12-14-12, 11:00 PM
bugs: brand new '13 XTS picked up Dec 1st 2012 (dealer confirmed latest cue updates are installed)

-when in phone call using nokia symbian OS, Blackberry and Iphone5 IOS6 the Cue main display shows battery and signal. the DIC shows battery as empty.
-phone contacts come through as caller ID via Bluetooth. There is a section for the callers photo (if stored in your phone) this is always blank.
-caller ID names do not come through, only get the number on Cue and DIC on incoming calls. outgoing calls this seems to work.
-on some sources, such as pandora the up/down track keys located on the steering wheel actually switches presets and in turn calls up whatever is preset like a destination for the NAV or XM radio station. however when used with ipod these same buttons change tracks. make them consistent across all sources (eg. ipod=trackup/track down, pandora=thumbs up/thumbs down, cd=track+/track-, radio=next preset/previous preset) or allow the user to program what these do for each source.
-not able to turn down the beeps below 20 on CUE which is still too loud.
-cue (like old CTS) should be able to store its settings for the two driver positions including radio presets, radio station, EQ settings, cabin temp settings.
-driver exit seat position is just 1 position it seems. should be 2 exist seat positions stored independently for the two driver memories.
-Cue does not save seat settings sometimes. dealer says you have to do it several times (so I guess this is a known prob).
-if mirrors are auto tilted when reversing, and you manipulate them whilst in reverse, then:
--they do not return to the normal driving position when you switch to drive.
--their normal driving position and reverse position is screwed up and you have to reset the mirror and store them again using the seat memory buttons.
--If you reverse again they tilt down even further beyond the motors limits.
-heated stearing does not turn on as part of adaptive start, this same feature functions correctly as part of adaptive start on other vehicles such as the escalade
-when car is locked at night, certain dash lights remain lit beyond the exterior AND interior lighting timer and only turn off after 10min. this includes the backlight for the HVAC controls on the dash. during this time the passenger side rear door handle bar light stays on lit very dimmly.
-CUE weather Radar uses a color coding to indicate rain/snow on a map. the colors for rain and snow seem to be mixed up. for example when the feather forecast shows lots of rain right now (and in fact that is what we have, so its accurate) the weather map is indicating lots of snow.

nice to have features:

-allow owners of CUE systems to update firmware and maps at home on their own without going to dealer.
-The only statistics available in the DIC is "instantaneous" fuel economy and trip odometers. It would be good to be able to get the following like most of other GM's starting with my 06 Aurora for example:
--Average fuel economy
--oil pressure
--battery voltage
--trans temp
--engine temp
--other sensory information like vehicle diagnostics data perhaps, time last started, time/date of last position report sent to onstar, etc.
--It would be nice to see some advanced performance and mechanical data on such an advanced system, eg's of this would be as ft/lb torque while accelerating, max RPM's reached, average speed, average RPM, average acceleration, status of suspension mode, etc.
--it would be nice if the CUE main screen had "car" menu to bring up info which is only available on the DIC such as the items listed above.

-other things which would be a huge improvement is to allow direct access to stereo Sources rather than having to toggle through them.
-option to turn off haptic feedback
-option to lock the cue touch and other controls (had an issue with stereo volume turning itself up by itself)
-would nice to be able to bring up the cameras on the cue display on demand like in a BMW
-set your own background picture
-use cue display to bring up photos from media
-ability to enable disable other advanced features from CUE such as traction control, stabil track, auto venting and which functions are enabled/disabled for adaptive remote start.
-ability to brighten/dim display (both cue and DIC) beyond "day, night, auto" independant of ambient lighting in the car. Currently CUE too bright at night.
-rear seat controls should include lockout from the CUE for HVAC and heated rear seat functions (to prevent children from messing with the controls in the back) standard feature on the SUV's currently.
-allow you to close windows/sunroof from remote control and onstar remote link.

rustybear3
12-16-12, 05:15 AM
* Doesn't return to navigation - when I have navigation up, take a call with the hands free button (and don't touch anything else) Cue screen never returns to navigation, even after call ends. Agh!

This has GOT to be a software issue....this does this to me also; just stays on call screen........should automatically go back to Navigation.....any Caddy or GM experts care to comment? :hmm:

Yplus
12-16-12, 06:50 PM
Aside from those already mentioned, my main issues...

Siri through CUE just isn't working for me over Bluetooth. Either is iOS navigation apps (any one I've tried, apple maps, tomtom app, etc.) voice directions don't make it through the sound system when it's Bluetooth, which for me is 95% of the time. I have a 4S with iOS 6...

Auto rear defogger does not remember its setting and therefore can never be set to true.

Media indexing takes longer than my commute and appears to start from scratch each time. When I've take longer drives, it does complete, but the next time I drive it, it has to reindex again. Either leave some files on the media card that speeds this up, or allow a USB flash device to be used as a system drive to remember indexing. Each first time I hit the voice button when i get in the car it tells me about this indexing and it's totally annoying.

Why can't I index more than one device connected?

Various random shortcuts work or get greyed out for days and then magically come back.

bungee91
12-17-12, 07:54 AM
Some of these have been mentioned, but I'm going to list my main gripes so far and also say that CUE is more frustrating than useful IMHO.

*Support SDXC cards natively! (Being a new system it's surprising to say the least)
*Index the card/usb once and be done with it! There is NO reason to check it every time, nothing has changed!
*While indexing don't try and play and then of course pause, skip, and lag. It would speed up indexing to have the device unavailable until it's finished.
*Option to disable media sources (I won't use CD ever)
*When you click "media" list the options, it is so frustrating to have to toggle through them.
*Road construction advisories repeated over and over! (Seriously I hear it 4 times 1 way every day on the way to work in the same location, "caution road construction", "road construction", repeat...) Once would be just fine by me.
*Voice prompts are way too long even when set to short
*Voice commands for an artist cannot play everything with a given artist if it has another artist it "features". For instance if I want to hear artist "Drake" and I have "Drake" but also "Drake feat Rihanna" these are treated completed different. So if I want it to play EVERYTHING with artist Drake it can't figure this out and gives some sort of error.
*Random play should remember what it's played so that if you randomize 20 songs, you don't hear song 4 (as an example) 10 times before hearing all 20 songs.
*File folder view for USB/SD card under some advanced view. I know that CUE is trying to make it easy and iTunes like and group everything together. I also know playlists could kind of do what I want, however I'd really like to see the files so that if I have a folder of songs that I want to play, I can just choose that folder.
*Overall CUE is laggy!

(edited: Most bluetooth issues are more than likely related to Android 4.2/4.2.1 which is Google's fault, not GM's)

NJRonbo
12-18-12, 08:42 AM
These problems I have mentioned before but allow me to repeat...

* Large iPod libraries cause indexing problems where you select one song, it plays another. This is currently a huge issue I am addressing with Cadillac and not getting much support on.

* Select a playlist with multiple artists, select a song. When song is over, instead of returning you to the master list in that playlist it only lists related (same) artists in that playlist. Very annoying.

* Playing iPod music. Suddenly decide to switch over to a radio station using my preset favorites. CUE plays radio station but display screen still remains on iPod mode, thus not allowing you to view radio station content.

Glad we have become beta testers for Cadillac while they fix these bugs for future vehicles.

nfavor
12-18-12, 09:46 AM
Is there an alternative input method for Nav? Cue normally does well with the adresses, but occasionally, it simply can't get it right. I've used OnStar, but I have no intention of renewing after 6 months. It would be nice if there was a keypad to manually enter an address if Que can't get it right.

slepr
12-18-12, 07:11 PM
Early on I heard of the possiblity of apps for CUE. If so I would love a fuel app. When you pull in to fill up, app could fill in data for you such as odometer reading, miles since last fill up, gas station name and location from Nav data. Screen would come up with fields to enter total gallons, total cost. Data could be recalled and graphing of historic data could be available.

st4422
12-18-12, 11:36 PM
Is there an alternative input method for Nav? Cue normally does well with the adresses, but occasionally, it simply can't get it right. I've used OnStar, but I have no intention of renewing after 6 months. It would be nice if there was a keypad to manually enter an address if Que can't get it right.

There is a keyboard available on the CUE screen to manually enter addresses. Destinations can also be entered from your contacts, points of interest and voice recognition.

CDN XTS
12-25-12, 09:18 PM
bugs: brand new '13 XTS picked up Dec 1st 2012 (dealer confirmed latest cue updates are installed)-if mirrors are auto tilted when reversing, and you manipulate them whilst in reverse, then:
--they do not return to the normal driving position when you switch to drive.
--their normal driving position and reverse position is screwed up and you have to reset the mirror and store them again using the seat memory buttons.
--If you reverse again they tilt down even further beyond the motors limits.
-heated stearing does not turn on as part of adaptive start, this same feature functions correctly as part of adaptive start on other vehicles such as the escalade

As to Outside Mirrors. Also, while the option to set one or the other or both to show the "curb" is great for parallel parking, I would like an "override" button/or voice command as when backing out in a parking lot or the garage, I like to see what's behind/close to (garage frame) me (other than just the camera view and inside mirror), rather than the asphalt. Once ripped off my outside mirror on my 03 STS
As to heated stearing wheel: To me that's even more important in cold weather than the automatic turning on the heated seats. An unbelievable big oversight, particularly since it is said (*) to take some 3 minutes go get warm. (*) still waiting for my car so only have the manual to guide me.

codeman71
01-02-13, 12:19 PM
Hello folks. I am an engineer working on the Cadillac CUE system and I apologize for the trouble that you all are experiencing. A lot of the issues listed here are known and we have fixes on the way. I work in the navigation and phone areas and will talk to the audio folks about the other issues listed here.

nfavor, do you have any example addresses that you have found that do not work when entered into the CUE system? We are always making improvements to the address entry algorithm and if I can look up that specific address we will try to resolve that issue. For the media device sourcing issue, that is something we're working on to skip non-connected sources when pressing the Media button. That should make things a little bit easier. I'll take a look at that address to see why it isn't working by voice. About the screen not returning to navigation, that is something we are working on and should be fixed soon in a coming update. For the voice prompts, try pushing the speech recognition button while she is speaking to skip ahead to the beep so you can say your command quicker. For the confirmation of a single match, that is something that we've gone back and forth on and we wanted to lean more toward making sure it was correct if we aren't sure we understood correctly. We are looking at a feature of allowing you to customize if the system would confirm those types of commands or not, so stay tuned. For having to hit Go on the second screen, this was also another choice made by our team because someone may just be looking at a map of the location, or what time they might get there, or how far away it is without actually wanting to start route guidance. We are looking at ways at improving this flow to satisfy both types of usages, but thanks for the feedback. It's good to know what people are expecting.

NJRonbo, all of those issues look to be ones that have also been identified and have fixes on the way, so please be patient with us while we get that corrected. I know those are really annoying as I've experienced them myself as well.

bungee91, we are working on skipping audio sources that you don't have anything connected to, so that should simplify things a bit. The road construction advisories is also on the list of things for us to fix very soon. Sorry about that annoyance. For the voice commands, you can also skip ahead any prompt by pushing the speech recognition button on the steering wheel. This will interrupt her speaking and will play the beep. I have come to use this quite a bit when I want to speed things up as well and it works nicely once you know that feature is there.

Yplus, Siri integration is something we're working on tighter integration for the future. It should work much better once that software update is available.

Denchikd, the phone issues you've listed I haven't noticed. I'll take a look into these further. The photo for a contact only works if the phone supports transferring this image over Bluetooth. As far as I know, Android may be the only device that supports this currently. The Pandora up/down steering wheel buttons are being worked on. It looks like Pandora was inadvertently classified as a Radio source, so it is being treated like a radio preset, but it really should be more like a media source where it would skip to the next song when you press it. That fix is coming. I'm a bit curious about the weather radar comment you made. We tried to use the same colors that many websites use such as weather.com for their radar where Green, Yellow, Red are for different levels of rain, pink is a rain/snow mix, and blue is for snow. So if there was rain forecast for your area, it should have showed up green, yellow, or red depending on the severity of rain. For the additional information in the DIC, many of those should be available to you, but have been turned off by default. If you go into the Settings in the DIC, select Info Pages, and then check the ones you would like to see or uncheck the ones you would like to hide. We found that many customers only used a few of those info pages so we tried to simplify it for most people but wanted to allow users to access the information if they wanted to. For the suggestions, I'll see if we have a chance to incorporate some in our future software updates. Thanks for the suggestions!

danscrim, the issue you described was an intentional decision made by our team because we wanted to allow for a driver and a passenger to not be forced to be looking at the same information when a music selection was made from one display. However, I can see the scenario you describe and I will bring it up to see if this is something we might change in a future update. I will check into the cruise control observation. I haven't seen that happen in the vehicle that I have been driving so this may have already been fixed in a software update that will be released soon. I also think the phone favorites are more reliably working in the next update so hopefully that gets resolved as well.

Thanks everyone for the posts! I will try to check back on here when I get time to see what additional comments are posted. Please know that we are working very hard to improve CUE and take this feedback very seriously to prioritize our work and to make this the best system out there.

CDN XTS
01-02-13, 03:51 PM
@ codeman71 Thanks for your post, it's great to hear that those who design and work on the system read this forum. I'm sure it is not easy to "please everyone". Never mind having to deal with an ever changing technical environment on an ongoing basis.

You may wish to also read my request (rather long post) for some technical documentation in the threat http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-xts-forum/274566-new-cue-problems.html which, while not easy in every case, would assist both customers and GM personnel, be it at dealers or at Customer Support, as I found out that when asking questions at CDN Customer Support and at my dealer, regarding SD cards they didn't even know the various types available, never mind being able to tell me what is supported by the XTS. And based on various threats people had problems and there should be no need for "trial and error" by customers. The same when I asked about some phone issues. (don't have my XTS Platinum yet - tentative built date Jan 11, nor do I presently own a mobile phone but am in the process of buying one - of course I like a new model but one which works with CUE correctly)

NJRonbo
01-02-13, 08:29 PM
Codeman,

I am very happy to see you here, and on behalf of everyone that owns a CUE system, it is my utmost hope that you will continue to stay here with us.

I was having problems conversing with CUE representatives, but found out that it was due to a communication error involving a wrong email address. Recently I have been contacted by a Cue Supervisor and put back in touch with a rep that I had initially dealing with. So, I can say that it is possible to communicate.

That being said, really need someone here first-hand to continue giving us updates and answering questions.

I am very happy to see that the problems concerning iPod song limits is being addressed. I had no idea that CUE did not support iPods that had more than 4,000 songs on them. This is something that a CUE rep told me over the phone. That is unfortunate. While I realize there is only a small sect of the CUE customer base that have iPods with 7,000 songs on them, I still hope that a fix is truly on the way so that all my songs will be identified.

Also, something very simple I would like to suggest....

How difficult would it be for favorite radio stations that are put in the bookmarks to have the station ID automatically attached to them? I don't want XM 10 showing up in my favorites. Would rather have THE PULSE. Don't want 92.3 showing up. Would rather have K-ROCK (NYC area). I don't see why the station ID can't be pulled from the information that is already there into the favorites tab. What would be even cooler is to have the actual Sirius/XM station logos show up when you save them to favorites -- but I suppose that would be too much to ask.

It just gets to be a pain-in-the-butt manually having to rename all my saved favorites.

kevinr
01-03-13, 12:35 AM
As to Outside Mirrors. Also, while the option to set one or the other or both to show the "curb" is great for parallel parking, I would like an "override" button/or voice command as when backing out in a parking lot or the garage, I like to see what's behind/close to (garage frame (*)) me (other than just the camera view and inside mirror), rather than the asphalt.

Completely agree. In fact, I think MB and Audi have the right answer to this issue: the mirror only moves when in reverse *and* the mirror adjustment selector switch is switched to either left or right -- and the mirror that moves is the side that the switch is set to. Leave it in the 'off' position and neither mirror moves. Usually only one side of my car is near a curb; on the other side I need to see traffic. Not liking the 'both mirrors move' default.

----------

* When cruise control is enabled it automatically takes up the right side on my DIC. That's fine. But when it is turned off... it should reset the view I had before I enabled cruise. So I usually have the average MPG there. Once cruise control is turned off (not just disengaged) It should go back to average MPG. Right now it just stays at "Cruise Set to OFF" and i have to change it back to average MPG.

+1. Same behavior on my ATS. Annoying. If one *really* wanted to be elegant, the system would check to see if there is a blank screen on either side of the DIC, and put the cruise control info there; else put it in the right side. In either case driver pref state should be stored and restored.

Also wish list of mine: give me different iconography preferences. The GM UI design team is in a no win situation -- I prefer very understated, preferably monochrome icons; others may like them as they are. To me some of the icons (fuel range, i'm talking to you) are unbecoming a luxury car. A nit, for sure -- but in this category, it's the details that count. Also, the understated simple icons tend to 'age' well; I'm betting most of these will look pretty dated in five years.

Another wish list: give me an all-in-one trip panel (elapsed time, trip odometer, mpg and, say, clock time) all in one panel, I'll live with a smaller font than normal.

LovemyATS
01-03-13, 07:51 AM
Thanks for your participation on this board, codeman71. We really appreciate that you are taking the time to investigate our requests.

You can add me to the list of those asking for an auto heated steering wheel to be paired with the remote start feature.

codeman71
01-03-13, 09:02 AM
Hi NJRonbo,

I love interacting with customers so I will try to participate here as much as my work schedule allows. I was involved on the Camaro forums after that launched and really enjoying helping customers out (and continue to do so when possible). So I will do my best to be here to answer questions and try to resolve any issues that you guys find.

As for the 4,000 song limit, that is not entirely correct. There is a limitation with speech when you connect an iPod with more than 4,000 songs on it, and the system tells you this when you try to start a speech session. When you have fewer than 4,000 songs, you can simply say the song name after pressing the speech button and it will play it for you, but when you get more than 4,000 you first have to tell it that you want to play a song. Then it will come back and ask you what the song name is. It's a way to manage the memory load so the system is able to manage that many songs, contacts from your phone book, and so on. You can still ask for an artist or album at the first level, but for songs you just have to first tell it you want to listen to a song. But if you are not using speech, this should not be an issue.

You may have posted this on another thread, but what is the problem that you are experiencing with not seeing all of your songs on your iPod? I'll try to check and see if there is some sort of other known issue that I'm not aware of (I am on the interface design team so I don't always know all of the technical details that are handled by other folks within GM).

As far as the radio station favorite labels, this is something we had initially, but had to remove because of the potential for cutting off a station name in an inconvenient location. Because XM can rename any station at any time, we can never be sure where the label is going to be cut off, and we wouldn't want something offensive being displayed. One example could be Willie's Roadho. While you could guess what the name is supposed to be, to some customers this would be offensive and that's not something we'd like to have, so we had to pull the feature and just display the XM station number. For FM, we have a similar thing where some radio stations will actually use their station identification RDS letters to stream artist or song title information. So whatever the current tag for the station was at the time would be displayed, and that could potentially be an inaccurate representation of the station. So, we had to back off that as well and leave it up to the customer to rename to what they would like it to be.

Thanks again for the feedback!

NJRonbo
01-03-13, 09:10 AM
You may have posted this on another thread, but what is the problem that you are experiencing with not seeing all of your songs on your iPod? I'll try to check and see if there is some sort of other known issue that I'm not aware of (I am on the interface design team so I don't always know all of the technical details that are handled by other folks within GM).

The problem has nothing to do with not seeing all the songs on my iPod. CUE sees all of them, as far as I know.

The problem is that with 7,000 songs in my library, CUE is not playing the correct song when selected. Though it properly indexes all the songs, it doesn't properly match song to the actual title.

Never had this problem in my 2010 SRX without CUE.

Another problem is the way CUE handles playlists. I could have a playlist called BEST OF THE '70s with hundreds of songs from multiple artists. Once I play a song by an artist, and return to the playlist afterwards, the playlist shrinks and only shows songs by that artist instead of showing the original list of songs by multiple artists. I don't understand why the CUE team decided to do that. Playlists are not all about artists. I want my entire playlist to be available at all times, not just a list of artists that I recently selected.

So my question is this...

Is CUE planning to fix the song matching problem with their next update? Will I be able to pick any song in my huge iPod library and expect that song to play?

I know you originally stated that they were, but the follow-up seemed to suggest that perhaps you weren't certain what the issue actually was.

Thank you for your continued assistance here.

codeman71
01-03-13, 09:23 AM
I have experienced the exact same song matching issue in the car that I have been driving and it was also driving me up the wall. I filed a report and was told that it had been corrected. I just don't know when that particular fix will be rolled out to customers, but I have been assured it has been fixed.

I haven't personally seen the playlist issue that you bring up, but I will check into that one as well to see if that has also been fixed. That is not intended behavior, so I'll check on it.

NJRonbo
01-03-13, 09:28 AM
Would be very interested to see if you have the same issue with the shrinking playlist on your end.

Please report back what you find.

codeman71
01-03-13, 09:51 AM
I'll admit it's not a common address but "48 East North Broadway, Columbus, Ohio" seems to be impossible for Cue to accurately understand. Cue broke it down into sections and still didn't come very close.

I tested this address out and I have some information that may help when you run into issues like this. For streets like this that have both a prefix (East), and a suffix (St), you need to either user both when you say the name "48 East North Broadway Street Columbus Ohio", or leave both off "48 North Broadway Columbus Ohio". When I said the first way, it found it exactly, and when I said the second, it found two matches, 48 E North Broadway St, and 48 W North Broadway St. I then also tried "48 Broadway Columbus Ohio", and it found both of those matches as well as a few others.

The way the data is entered into the system, you can say either the short or long version of a street, but doing something in between is going to give poor results. So if you happen to run into an issue like this where you can't get it to recognize a complicated street address, try just saying the core part of the street (East Broadway, or Broadway) and it should get it, or see if maybe there is a part of the street that maybe you are not saying, such as East, West, Rd, St, Ave, etc.

I know this is not ideal but is unfortunately the way speech systems work. We are trying to split up the roads better so that it can be recognized in this way, but for right now, this is the trick that you can use to hopefully help get through the times when it doesn't work.

Yplus
01-04-13, 01:11 PM
Hello folks. I am an engineer working on the Cadillac CUE system and I apologize for the trouble that you all are experiencing. A lot of the issues listed here are known and we have fixes on the way. I work in the navigation and phone areas and will talk to the audio folks about the other issues listed here.

Yplus, Siri integration is something we're working on tighter integration for the future. It should work much better once that software update is available.

Thanks everyone for the posts! I will try to check back on here when I get time to see what additional comments are posted. Please know that we are working very hard to improve CUE and take this feedback very seriously to prioritize our work and to make this the best system out there.

Codeman,

Thanks so much for posting! This makes me feel much better knowing there is some representation from the CUE team here. Just knowing that you've seen our list and have fixes coming is a relief to know about. Hopefully the Siri integration you are talking about will be sooner rather than later. I can volunteer as a beta tester! ;)

Caddy Daddy.com
01-05-13, 04:10 PM

nfavor, do you have any example addresses that you have found that do not work when entered into the CUE system? We are always making improvements to the address entry algorithm and if I can look up that specific address we will try to resolve that issue. For the media device sourcing issue, that is something we're working on to skip non-connected sources when pressing the Media button. That should make things a little bit easier. I'll take a look at that address to see why it isn't working by voice. About the screen not returning to navigation, that is something we are working on and should be fixed soon in a coming update. For the voice prompts, try pushing the speech recognition button while she is speaking to skip ahead to the beep so you can say your command quicker. For the confirmation of a single match, that is something that we've gone back and forth on and we wanted to lean more toward making sure it was correct if we aren't sure we understood correctly. We are looking at a feature of allowing you to customize if the system would confirm those types of commands or not, so stay tuned. For having to hit Go on the second screen, this was also another choice made by our team because someone may just be looking at a map of the location, or what time they might get there, or how far away it is without actually wanting to start route guidance. We are looking at ways at improving this flow to satisfy both types of usages, but thanks for the feedback. It's good to know what people are expecting.

NJRonbo, all of those issues look to be ones that have also been identified and have fixes on the way, so please be patient with us while we get that corrected. I know those are really annoying as I've experienced them myself as well.

bungee91, we are working on skipping audio sources that you don't have anything connected to, so that should simplify things a bit. The road construction advisories is also on the list of things for us to fix very soon. Sorry about that annoyance. For the voice commands, you can also skip ahead any prompt by pushing the speech recognition button on the steering wheel. This will interrupt her speaking and will play the beep. I have come to use this quite a bit when I want to speed things up as well and it works nicely once you know that feature is there.

Denchikd, the phone issues you've listed I haven't noticed. I'll take a look into these further. The photo for a contact only works if the phone supports transferring this image over Bluetooth. As far as I know, Android may be the only device that supports this currently. The Pandora up/down steering wheel buttons are being worked on. It looks like Pandora was inadvertently classified as a Radio source, so it is being treated like a radio preset, but it really should be more like a media source where it would skip to the next song when you press it. That fix is coming. I'm a bit curious about the weather radar comment you made. We tried to use the same colors that many websites use such as weather.com for their radar where Green, Yellow, Red are for different levels of rain, pink is a rain/snow mix, and blue is for snow. So if there was rain forecast for your area, it should have showed up green, yellow, or red depending on the severity of rain. For the additional information in the DIC, many of those should be available to you, but have been turned off by default. If you go into the Settings in the DIC, select Info Pages, and then check the ones you would like to see or uncheck the ones you would like to hide. We found that many customers only used a few of those info pages so we tried to simplify it for most people but wanted to allow users to access the information if they wanted to. For the suggestions, I'll see if we have a chance to incorporate some in our future software updates. Thanks for the suggestions!

danscrim, the issue you described was an intentional decision made by our team because we wanted to allow for a driver and a passenger to not be forced to be looking at the same information when a music selection was made from one display. However, I can see the scenario you describe and I will bring it up to see if this is something we might change in a future update. I will check into they cruise control observation. I haven't seen that happen in the vehicle that I have been driving so this may have already been fixed in a software update that will be released soon. I also think the phone favorites are more reliably working in the next update so hopefully that gets resolved as well.
Ed a call

Great to have you on board. I would.like the screen go back to the function It was on before I placed a call. Example: I'm listening to XM Watercolors before call then it should go back when call is done. Does the CUE have anything to do with the remote start? If so I programmed it to heat seats and that does not work. Have not tried the same for cool seats. Thank you, Caddy Daddy

Runch Machine
01-05-13, 07:19 PM
Just picked up an XTS last week. Love the CUE system but very frusterated by the long time it takes to index the SD card. I did find that if you use a faster SD card it helps a little. I was using a class 6 and switched to a class 10, but it can take 20 minutes to index and that is longer than most of my trips. As others have said, there is no reason to index each time the car is started. Index once and save the data. I have about 1800 songs on the SD Card. I'm impressed that Cadillac has a representative participating here. Can you please address the indexing concern?

Runch Machine
01-06-13, 07:46 PM
More suggestions: Some background first, my wife got a 2013 SRX about 2 months ago. After using it on weekends I decided to replace my 2003 DTS and got the XTS. Awesome car. It's fun having two cars that have the almosts the same features. Here are our suggestions:
1. There is an option to set maximum fan speed for the auto mode. Also have an option for which vents the air blows out of. Now when heat is on, it only comes out of the floor vents. Both of us like to have the air come out of the dash vents and the floor vents at the same time. Allow an option of floor vents, dash vents or both in the settings menu.

2. When you change the fan speed using the buttons under the screen, the screen changes to the climate control screen. This is nice but it only stays up for a couple of seconds. It would be nice if it stayed up for 5 seconds so one has a chance to change other settings, such as which vents air comes out of.

3. Instead of just having a media button on the screen which you press to toggel between USB, CD, Aux Input, Ipod, USB card, etc, put individual icons on the screen so one can press the audio sources one wants. That way users can put the less used inputs, such as AUX, on less used screens. I like having CD, USB and SD card access, it's time consuming to toggel though them. Also consider having separate icons for AM, FM and XM. That one is less imporant since you can mix radio stations on the favorites bar from all three bands.

codeman71
01-07-13, 09:10 AM
Caddy Daddy, we are working on that bug that the screen doesn't return to the previous screen after the call is completed. Should be fixed soon.

For remote start, CUE is not a part of what gets controlled. That is handled by other modules in the vehicle.

----------

Hi Runch, wow that's awesome that you've got two CUE vehicles in your stable. Thanks so much for your support!

The climate functions and settings are handled with a separate group within GM. However, I think you could probably get almost what you are looking for by changing the vent setting in the Climate application. When you change where the air comes out, it will disable full auto control, but the system will still manage the air temperature and fan speed automatically. So if you set this, you probably wouldn't need to adjust anything else.

That timer is a difficult one to set. Because it is a fairly large popup, it may annoy people if it is left up too long covering up other controls when they don't want to interact with that status view. But others that do want to interact with it, yes it can be a little short to make the setting you are looking for. If the climate application is something you would like to open fairly often, you may want to put that application in your application tray along the top of your screen (it should have been there by default) or else save the climate application to a favorite along the bottom of the screen so you can open it more easily than having to go to the home screen first. Just a couple of suggestions anyway.

For audio sourcing, we will eventually be skipping inputs that aren't connected, so this will cut the number of button presses down quite a bit when switching between the different sources.

lurshy
01-07-13, 12:36 PM
Ergonomically, physical buttons and screen is pretty far from the driver, and can be arranged better. Note, I am 6'3 and have my seat back a bit.

e.g. The home button is commonly used but is the button furtherst physically (top Right) from the driver. The power button (Top Left) is closer, but how often if ever do you turn off the system???

Instead of using a home button and then going to an icon, there are usually some mini-icons at the top of the center touch screen again, these are far away physically, having these icons vertically down the left side of the touch screen would bring them much closer to the driver.

Having scroll / select controls on the steering wheel or center console would be much better still. I like the controls for the DIC, having them control the main screen choices as well may be less distracting....

Also: while I understand some items like return to previous screen after phone call being are being addressed there appears to be some flakiness on some of the features.

e.g. Although I have the system set to short voice prompts, there does not appear to be a prompt length change.
Also, I have the heated seats on remote start set, but they do not turn on when remote starting (even if they had been on prior to the car being turned off). Also would love to have the heating steering wheel come on automatically with this option. Other features (like memory seat behavior and exit seat setting seemed to take a few tries before beginning to work, so could be true with the above nit picks.

I took delivery on 1/2/13 and overall love the car, the ride and its features. just pointing out some nitty / flakey items.

danscrim
01-07-13, 12:48 PM
Also, I have the heated seats on remote start set, but they do not turn on when remote starting (even if they had been on prior to the car being turned off). Also would love to have the heating steering wheel come on automatically with this option. Other features (like memory seat behavior and exit seat setting seemed to take a few tries before beginning to work, so could be true with the above nit picks.

I had the same issue with heated seats but after talking to people on this forum and the dealer... it appears that the heated seats are on even tho the light doesn't come on. They are basically getting warm ahead of time but in order to keep them on you need to hit the button when you finally turn the car on (even after remote starting it). This is the same way in the CTS.

I also noticed the seats didn't feel warm after being remote started. That is because there is no weight in the seat so the cushion isn't being pressed up against the heating coils. If you turn your passenger heated seat on with no one in it... it will feel the same way... no warmth. The only way to really test if the remote heated seat feature is working is to remote start while you're in the seat. I haven't done this yet.

I agree with the rest of your issues. I'm having some problems with my memory seat as well. Seems to not always go back to where it's supposed to.

lurshy
01-07-13, 12:53 PM
Also Possible Voice recognition parsing quirk:

I have XM and an IPOD on my ATS. Several albums from 'The Who' and 'Pink Floyd' (and many others but thats besides the point).

If I say 'Play Pink Floyd' or 'Play Pink Floyd The Wall' This works and Pink floyd will start playing.....

If I Say 'Play The Who' or 'Play The Who Quadrophenia' it will think and ask if I want to play 'XM The Groove?' It can't seem to recognize 'The Who' if I ask for 'Play Quadrophenia' It will find it (actually finds multiple matches). The Who always is not found - comes up as The Groove.

As a Who fan I am deeply offended ;-p - jk

rspitler
01-07-13, 08:57 PM
New owner of an ATS Premium. Who is responsible for updating the Nav software? Case in point, I was driving down the East coast of Florida and what should have been the Atlantic Ocean was called the Gulf of Mexico.

pever
01-07-13, 11:07 PM
Who is responsible for updating the Nav software?NavTeq ... http://mapreporter.navteq.com/support/faq shows you how you can help them fix their errors. No doubt they thank you with a free update. LOL

kevinr
01-08-13, 09:46 AM
New CUE nav bug:

In So Cal, with route programmed from Pasadena to Mark Taper Forum (downtown) via 110 freeway. Route downloaded from OnStar advisor. Drive time approx 25 minutes. Clock set to 24 hr time. Clock shows time at 18:25 (correct), ETA of 11:51 (incorrect). Correct answer should have been 18:51.

codeman71
01-08-13, 04:10 PM
New CUE nav bug:

In So Cal, with route programmed from Pasadena to Mark Taper Forum (downtown) via 110 freeway. Route downloaded from OnStar advisor. Drive time approx 25 minutes. Clock set to 24 hr time. Clock shows time at 18:25 (correct), ETA of 11:51 (incorrect). Correct answer should have been 18:51.

Yep, sounds like a definite bug. I'll check that one and see if I can reproduce it. Let me know if you see it with other navigation destinations or if it's only with maybe OnStar routes.

kevinr
01-09-13, 12:57 PM
Thanks codeman. I'm posting these to be helpful; in spite of its flaws I love CUE. I hope you guys get to do frequent updates, as the system has great possibilities and only needs some bug fixes and minor usability enhancements. And I really appreciate the presence of you and the other GM reps on the forum.

Here's another small bug in Nav that I experienced yesterday. Heading west on Exposition Blvd with a destination near LAX programmed. Map shows upcoming left turn onto Western Ave, but no other display (HUD, inset turn icon or voice directions) show upcoming turn. Inset icon seemed stuck on 'straight ahead' arrow, even though map path clearly showed left turn. Shortly after turn display recovered and behaved normally thereafter.

Here's a new feature I would like to see: a programmed display settings option to cause the screen to default (similar to a screensaver) to dark or clock display after starting or a certain period of inactivity. This option would not be enabled during turn-by-turn Nav sessions. Extra points might be showing one line for radio or phone status on the default screen. Press and hold a shortcut (at top of screen; similar to programming a preset) lockout the screen saver until a new screen is selected.

One more thing: I know GM has to take care of it's dealers, but it would be great if CUE could be updated by consumers, through the USB ports. I imagine this as a signed binary file that the system would load from a thumb drive; the binaries could only be downloaded from GM. For extra security, one could make the users login and store their system serial number; the binary's encryption could be tied to that serial number.

codeman71
01-09-13, 01:07 PM
If I Say 'Play The Who' or 'Play The Who Quadrophenia' it will think and ask if I want to play 'XM The Groove?' It can't seem to recognize 'The Who' if I ask for 'Play Quadrophenia' It will find it (actually finds multiple matches). The Who always is not found - comes up as The Groove.

Just wanted to double-check something with you to make sure we're testing the same thing as you to see if we can find a bug related to The Who. Can you verify that the device that the music is on the artist is "The Who" and not simply "Who"? I'm guessing it is, but just wanted to be sure we were testing the same condition as you.

Thanks!

EDIT: I checked this out in the car and was able to get it to play The Who, and here are some things that may help. Do you recall pushing the speech button and hearing the car respond with "Device Initializing..."? If so, then that means the music is still being indexed and the speech grammars are being built. If you ask for The Who during this time, the only thing it is going to know about are the XM channel names because the music hasn't been built yet. Once the system got past that point for me, it responded with The Who and began playing it.

One other thing that can help with things like this is to give the system some additional information to help it find what you are looking for. Because the system has natural speech recognition, you can be a bit more flexible with it like saying "Play music by The Who" or "Play Artist The Who" or "I'd like to hear songs by The Who". All those types of things tell the system that you are looking for music from your device specifically, rather than something that may also be on XM.

See if either of those things help out with the recognition and let me know your results.

bungee91
01-09-13, 02:10 PM
Since we're speaking of music again in regards to voice commands.

Can we have a "wildcard" (per say) to play everything by an artist that also includes an artist featuring other artists?

So I'd say something like "Play artist Drake" then she'll ask for me to choose one (as I have multiples)
1) "Drake" 2) "Drake feat. Beyonce" 3)"Drake feat. Nicki Minaj" etc... I then reply with "play all"?
Or for me to just be able to say "Play everything by artist Drake" and she then plays every song by artist Drake if "Drake" is found anywhere in the Artist ID3 tag?

----------

A couple more questions:

1) Will software updates be done via USB? (this has been talked about, but nothing official).

2) When listening to music on an SD card, sometimes when I restart the car Cue defaults to the USB device option, and I have no USB devices plugged in.
Example: So I was listening to a song on the SD card, stopped the car, got out, came back in and restarted the car and instead of resuming, it is now on the USB device input.
I'd assume this would have something to do with the SD card slot being on the USB bus, and Cue confusing that input at times. This doesn't happens always (it could work 4 out of 5 times even) but it does certainly happen.

3) Will an SDXC card ever be officially supported (in other words, will ExFat be supported).

4) Pandora connection issues (I know this is an app I'd assume made by Pandora, but hear me out)
I believe that I have both a problem with the Pandora app on the phone, and also with the app on Cue.
Example: If Pandora works when I first try it, it seems to stay connected to the phone pretty reliably, however the next time I get in the car it doesn't always work and I receive "check connected device". This "check connected device" will only go away if I then restart my phone, and then restart my car. It seems to me that Pandora never checks again to see if the "connected device" is working or the status of it changed.
For instance, if I get the "check connected device" and then reboot my phone Pandora still won't work until after I restart my car. I believe that the Cue Pandora app only looks for a device at the initial load of the app, and not afterwards at all.
Is there a way to have it retry again after a set period, or a way for Cue to close the app and then restart it (which would then look for my phone again, which if I restarted would work fine?)

I get that this is a bit awkward but I like Pandora, and sometimes it is such a pain to get working.
I just know that restarting my phone and Cue makes it connect pretty much every time.
I believe on the phone side (app) Pandora isn't correctly going into accessory mode, and for some reason rebooting the phone fixes that.
I may just have to kill the Pandora app on my phone as opposed to rebooting, but I haven't tried that yet.
I have a Nexus 4, Android 4.2.1. It was the same exact way for me on my previous Galaxy Nexus running 4.2.1.
I'd suspect some of the problems lie within the new Bluetooth stack introduced in Android 4.2.x as the sound quality is also really bad (not Cue's fault with that).

(You've heard this plenty now, however thanks so much for helping and listening to our concerns it really does help to know someone is listening and possibly implimenting some of our requests/bugs)

codeman71
01-09-13, 02:58 PM
Hi Bungee,

For the voice feature, that would unfortunately be very difficult to implement and would introduce a lot of complexity into the system to be able to do partial searches. Also not quite sure what that might do if it happened to mix together two different artists who happened to share the same word in their title. It's something I'll bring up with the team, and I can totally understand the rationale, but might be difficult to do it and not mess up something else.

One way to get around this would be to create a playlist for those artists that you would like to have combined. You could then ask CUE to play that playlist and should then get the same experience you're looking for.

I don't know about SDXC. That part is handled in a different group so I don't readily know an answer, but I'll see if I can track down the right person and see if there are plans for it.

For Pandora, I've also had similar issues and agree that there are probably some combination of errors that cause that problem. For me, running ancient Android on a Droid 3, it seemed to stem from like you said, the Pandora app not going into accessory mode. I have had luck by hitting the menu button and selecting exit, and then relaunching the Pandora app. To get the CUE Pandora app to connect again, I usually would have to switch away to another audio source and then switch back to the Pandora app. Usually switching into the Pandora app would cause that initial connection to take place again and start working. If you are a big fan of Pandora, make sure you put Pandora up in your app tray along the top of the screen. If you haven't done it, from the home screen push and hold on the Pandora icon. After a few seconds you'll feel a thump and it will go into Edit Mode where you can rearrange the app icons and also add icons to your app tray or remove icons you don't use. You can have between 3 and 5 apps up in that tray. Alternatively, you could also save Pandora as a Favorite. Also while on the home screen, tap on the little arrow in the lower right corner to bring up your Favorites. Push and hold on a Favorite slot and then it will ask you to tap on the application that you'd like to save. You can do this for any app.

I hope that helps!

kevinr
01-09-13, 03:44 PM
Codeman, one more bug I forgot to post in my earlier msg.

Search for 'Wally Park' near LAX on the RemoteLink app (you should find it at 9700 Bellanca Ave LA CA). Click on Send to In-Dash Nav. The in-dash Nav responded with an error (don't remember the specific wording) that the POI is not in the database.

Obviously my point is the app search returned an address -- the car shouldn't need to know about the POI to be able to route to an address found via the mobile app.

codeman71
01-09-13, 05:35 PM
You're absolutely correct that it shouldn't need to know anything about the POI. Very interesting. I'll check it out.

kimbo1
01-09-13, 11:25 PM
Excellent idea!

I've downloaded Road Trip from the iTunes App Store, but, of course, have to key in all the info on the iPhone.

A CUE app would automatically load and save the Trip mileage and odometer data, allow entry of number of gallons, fuel brand (e.g., Chevron, Shell, Costco), and compare the CUE on-board mileage calculation with the mileage calculated using the odometer readings and the amount of fuel pumped.

----------

Great to read that the CUE experts are reading this forum!

I used the BMW iDrive on my 2008 MY 535xi before trading it for the XTS. Overall, I much prefer the CUE touch screen.

How do I (or can I?) get CUE to display ALTITUDE with the current position? Had this on the iDrive and it's available on my wife's 2013 Lexus GS350. I can't believe Cadillac overlooked it intentionally!

inspectorudy
01-09-13, 11:55 PM
I experienced the nav problem of not being able to enter an address no matter how I did it. I finally had to ask OnStar to enter it for me and then it worked. It was a long address with three names in the street name and when I entered it the third street name came up as the state. This leaves us feeling helpless since there is no other way except OnStar to enter an address of more than one name.I've only had the car for two days and have spent a lot of time reading the manual and watching the Cadillac videos on how to use the CUE system. They are helpful but need to be a litle more detailed as the owners get more familiar with the system. One thing I would like to see improved is the short cuts when using the DIC selector. When you first turn them on with the sel button they will only last about two seconds and then disappear. I wish there was a way to make them last just a little longer for my wife to learn. One other issue is the manage the favorites option. It seems to me that this function should be available when a favorite is pressed so that the name or info could be changed at that time instead of having to go to settings etc. Keep up the good work and keep us informed about the updates because some of the dealers are just not that into CUE and do not seem to be aware of any issues with it.

codeman71
01-10-13, 10:23 AM
How do I (or can I?) get CUE to display ALTITUDE with the current position? Had this on the iDrive and it's available on my wife's 2013 Lexus GS350. I can't believe Cadillac overlooked it intentionally!

This was something that we consciously decided to leave out. When developing CUE, we questioned every feature and tried to remove any that we possibly could to try to keep it simple and not over-complicate the system or make it too technical. We may consider putting this back in for the future if there seems to be enough interest. Thanks for letting us know this is something you're looking for!

----------

Rudy, thanks for the feedback. If you're able to send me the address that didn't work, I'll try to see what went wrong there and get that fixed.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll keep tabs on them and see if there's something we might easily be able to change.

lurshy
01-10-13, 11:04 AM
Will double check how it is stored in the IPOD NANO. It did recognize 'PLAY WHO' when I tried on another occasion.

If I did cut it off will it was initially indexing, would indexing complete subsequently or do I need to uninstall and reinstall the device to get it reindexed?

Thanks for the Reply!

kimbo1
01-10-13, 03:50 PM
Need the option to display both outside termperature and Time on the DIC. Even nicer would be option to display outside temperature on the Head Up Display.

codeman71
01-10-13, 04:04 PM
If you tried speaking while it was indexing, it would still continue in the background. It unfortunately has to index every ignition cycle to look for any new content on the device, so there will be a short amount of time after you start the car that you may have to wait before asking for media content from the iPod.

Runch Machine
01-11-13, 08:37 AM
I've had a frusterating problem come up with CUE and the favorites buttons. I have about 1300 songs on an SD card. I store on the buttons the Genre of Pop and Rock, a Playlist and about 4 artists that I like. It's great being able to press a button marked Chicago or The Eagles and listen to songs from those groups. 3 times in the last 5 days the buttons with those items stored on them have reverted back to being blank, they show their number as before anything is saved to them. In addition after I reloaded the buttons last night and turning off the car, when I started the car again, though the buttons were still labeled they stayed grayed out even after several minutes except for the one button with the play list on it. I reloaded one of the buttons with an artist, which worked, but the other buttons with artists or Genres never become lit.

For those of you having problems with the indexing taking a long time, I used to have that problem where it would take 10-15 minutes before the favorite buttons would work with SD card items. I used to have 3 playlists on the SD card, two with about 200 songs in them and one with about 1200 songs. I found that when the playlist with 1200 songs was not on the SD card, that it would index in about a minute. I don't know why that would be, but I tested the SD card with and without 3 times and that made the difference.

Any advice on my button problem would be appreciated.

RippyPartsDept
01-11-13, 10:14 AM
the more songs on your device, the longer it will take to index the file names and tag info for voice recognition

not sure about your button issue

lurshy
01-11-13, 02:31 PM
If you tried speaking while it was indexing, it would still continue in the background. It unfortunately has to index every ignition cycle to look for any new content on the device, so there will be a short amount of time after you start the car that you may have to wait before asking for media content from the iPod.

It definetly responds to 'Play Who', does not match 'Play The Who', 'The Who' is listed within the device with 2 Albums (lol I have about >10 on vinyl that I haven't listened to in years), and 'The Who' is displayed on screen.

hmmm.

Will tool around a bit more and let you know if I spot anything else...

Overall very impressed as navigating around a 2000 album/song index manually while driving is really not an option.

Fun conversation:

'Play Yes'
'Do you want to Play Yes?'
'Yes'

redundant but gets the job done ;-0

Need to get into a who's on first conversation with the car....

kevinr
01-17-13, 02:10 AM
Need the option to display both outside termperature and Time on the DIC. Even nicer would be option to display outside temperature on the Head Up Display.

+1 on that.

----------

You're absolutely correct that it shouldn't need to know anything about the POI. Very interesting. I'll check it out.

The 'location not found' when sent from RemoteLink app happened again today. This time I used the iPhone app to search for a particular Starbucks in Glendale CA. Found it on the app and sent to car (Nav, not turn-by-turn). Car received destination and I press 'go'. Get the spinning wheel for awhile (no voice prompt to say 'route calculated). Then I get the 'location not found' error. Before I could take a picture of the screen, the system reboots itself (all the while I'm driving in stop-and-go traffic -- mostly stop).

After reboot, I try to resend the address from the phone. The phone reports 'address sent.' I can't remember if the car indicated the address was received or not, but the spinning wheel appeared and stayed on screen for the next 20 minutes. It was still on screen when I arrived at my final destination.

In a later post I'll compile a list of all the bugs/issues I've found so fat.

codeman71
01-17-13, 08:25 AM
I'm not sure if it was you who reported the Wally Park issue with the destination download or not, but I tested this one and it correctly downloaded and routed to the proper location, so it seems like it is a bug that we have already corrected in the newer software. Both issues seemed to be resolved - putting the vehicle in reverse while downloading, as well as the issue of downloading this POI.

So, you can compile a list if you like, but I have a feeling the issues are fixed already, so you could probably save your time :) Thank you!

NJRonbo
01-17-13, 08:46 AM
Codeman,

Very frustrated yesterday trying to make a phone call through CUE.

Pressed the TALK button on the steering wheel. I said "Call Tom Smith"

I got a response that the system was not initialized.

This is after being in the vehicle for 4 minutes with a confirmed pairing of my phone.

This has happened several times where I get in the car, try and make a phone call, and I get a system initialization error.

Also, is it possible when pressing the TALK button that I don't get this overly long list of instructions from CUE. That's annoying to listen to more than once.

Thanks

RippyPartsDept
01-17-13, 09:20 AM
njronbo, there is a prompt length option (long/short) in the CUE settings ... as you might assume the long prompts are default

kevinr
01-17-13, 09:29 AM
I'm not sure if it was you who reported the Wally Park issue with the destination download or not, but I tested this one and it correctly downloaded and routed to the proper location, so it seems like it is a bug that we have already corrected in the newer software. Both issues seemed to be resolved - putting the vehicle in reverse while downloading, as well as the issue of downloading this POI.

So, you can compile a list if you like, but I have a feeling the issues are fixed already, so you could probably save your time :) Thank you!

The Wally Park issue was me. Good to know you think it's fixed. Not up for extra work.

Is there a way to know the current release version? Taking the car in for service is a huge hassle; I don't mind doing it if its going to yield an update, but I can't do it just to hear 'your car is up-to-date.'

For reference my ATS was sold to me about a month ago. Don't know the build date.

NJRonbo
01-17-13, 09:39 AM
njronbo, there is a prompt length option (long/short) in the CUE settings ... as you might assume the long prompts are default

Ahhh, Rippy, did not know that. Thanks so much for pointing that out.

Guess you know the first thing I am going to do when in I get in the car.....head for settings.

codeman71
01-17-13, 10:15 AM
Codeman,

Very frustrated yesterday trying to make a phone call through CUE.

Pressed the TALK button on the steering wheel. I said "Call Tom Smith"

I got a response that the system was not initialized.

This is after being in the vehicle for 4 minutes with a confirmed pairing of my phone.

This has happened several times where I get in the car, try and make a phone call, and I get a system initialization error.

Also, is it possible when pressing the TALK button that I don't get this overly long list of instructions from CUE. That's annoying to listen to more than once.

Thanks

The "Device Initializing" prompt means that it is going through any media device currently connected to the system and creating voice tags for the content. If you just have a phone, it should take somewhere from 30 seconds to a minute. Apparently, Blackberrys take much longer and that's due to the time it takes to download the contacts list from the Blackberry. iPhone and Android are much quicker.

If you also have a music device connected to the system, it is also going to index that, and it will index whichever is connected first, first. So, that might explain why it was still initializing after 4 minutes, which would depend on the amount of music content you have.

As Chris said, in the Settings app, there is a Voice setting where you can adjust the prompt length from long to short. Also, whenever she is speaking to you, you can press the TALK button again to speed ahead and it will play the beep for you to speak. So, once you've become more familiar, you can speed it up quite a bit by pressing that button again. The only prompt you can't skip ahead is the Initializing prompt.

----------

The Wally Park issue was me. Good to know you think it's fixed. Not up for extra work.

Is there a way to know the current release version? Taking the car in for service is a huge hassle; I don't mind doing it if its going to yield an update, but I can't do it just to hear 'your car is up-to-date.'

For reference my ATS was sold to me about a month ago. Don't know the build date.

I don't think the update plan has been announced yet, but there should be communication given to you when an update is available for the system. So at this point, if you haven't heard anything, you do already have the latest software installed. I believe in another thread here (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-user-experience-cue/277435-software-version.html) someone has posted what their software part numbers are (which can be accessed by going into Settings, then selecting Software Information). As long as you've got the same info as is posted there, then you should have everything the latest.

bungee91
01-17-13, 11:33 AM
The "Device Initializing" prompt means that it is going through any media device currently connected to the system and creating voice tags for the content. If you just have a phone, it should take somewhere from 30 seconds to a minute. Apparently, Blackberrys take much longer and that's due to the time it takes to download the contacts list from the Blackberry. iPhone and Android are much quicker.
If you also have a music device connected to the system, it is also going to index that, and it will index whichever is connected first, first. So, that might explain why it was still initializing after 4 minutes, which would depend on the amount of music content you have.
As Chris said, in the Settings app, there is a Voice setting where you can adjust the prompt length from long to short. Also, whenever she is speaking to you, you can press the TALK button again to speed ahead and it will play the beep for you to speak. So, once you've become more familiar, you can speed it up quite a bit by pressing that button again. The only prompt you can't skip ahead is the Initializing prompt.[COLOR="Silver"]

This indexing every time Cue starts is just retarded!
Seriously, take a vote and tell me people want it to be this way.
I think we'd prefer for the system to work as fast as possible so we can actually use it!
I get that (from what I've read from your posts) that Cue starts off fresh every time the car is started (or door opens, etc.) so that it's a fresh start every time, however that is no reason to not cache a database locally.

Case in point an SD card, write a file to the SD card that is an index, and write a file locally in Cue for that source. At start up both files are compared if they match, go with it, if they don't then re-index it.
Now I know there is more to this, and many ways to accomplish it, but building it every time is seriously redundant and a giant waste of time. The system lags heavily on screen transitions when this is going on (disabling screen transitions would at least make Cue seem more responsive, you'd just lose the "ooh look at how that transitioned" effect which no one really cares about). So in a basic way to verify nothing has changed build an index locally and save a parameter for size currently on the SD card, cross referenced with the number of folders or files. If it matches what you've stored, all's good, let's play some tunes!
If it doesn't then go ahead and rebuild, or just add what's changed and not rebuild the entire index (which is what it sounds like's going on).

Also I didn't get any input on this problem below:
When listening to music on an SD card, sometimes when I restart the car Cue defaults to the USB device option, and I have no USB devices plugged in.
Example: So I was listening to a song on the SD card, stopped the car, got out, came back in and restarted the car and instead of resuming, it is now on the USB device input.
I'd assume this would have something to do with the SD card slot being on the USB bus, and Cue confusing that input at times. This doesn't happens always (it could work 4 out of 5 times even) but it does certainly happen

Another thing, the slide up for the favorites bar while driving and Cue lagging as it does when doing drag operations doesn't work well in the real world.
On some of the screens there's a button that brings up the favorites, and on other you have to drag up.
I even wanted to just drag up 2 rows of icons, however it seems to only allow for 1 or 3 when I do this. I believe I can set the number of rows manually, however that's counter productive.
It just doesn't seem to work well in a practical sense. How about if I tap the bottom of the screen it just comes up, instead of sliding, or again a button to press to have it come up like in other screens?.

The touch screen also seems to favor pressing lower than you've actually pressed. If I try to push the down arrow on something, more often than not it presses the media button or something not as intended.
If I do a display calibration (under settings) to fix it, it doesn't allow me to select a bit lower than the button so that it may remap the presses to be useful.
It really seems that the bottom most area of the screen doesn't have touch sensitivity to it, and it try's to make up for that by shifting what your touching down to compensate.

NJRonbo
01-17-13, 12:07 PM
I have to agree that it's a real hassle to have the database erase and then reupload itself every time you enter/exit the vehicle. For those of us with large contact lists on our phone or large music libraries on our iPod, that is an excess amount of time we have to wait to use our device.

I recently complained that within the first 4 minutes of entering my vehicle I cannot even place a phone call because the system is still initializing.

If all this information can instead be stored on the hard drive so that access to it is immediate upon entering the vehicle I think it will make many people happy.

In the meantime, I think I speak for all when I say that I am very happy that Codeman is still with us addressing concerns.

inspectorudy
01-17-13, 12:23 PM
I too have had problems with the slide up function of the favorites arrow. I routinely get just one row or the function that is just next to the up arrow at the bottom of the screen. I too would like the favorite button that is on some of the pages but not all to be programmed in to be on every page except data entry pages. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to see my smiling daughter looking at me from the DIC! I had not seen the picture transfer from my phone to the contacts because my wife's Iphone is usually the connected phone and it doesn't support the picture transfer. Keep up the wishes folks and maybe Codeman can get some of them approved for us.

codeman71
01-17-13, 01:36 PM
Bungee, It's a bit tough for me to comment on the indexing issues as that is handled by a separate team from mine. I agree that it is frustrating and it seems to be a simple solution to the problem. However, there are many use cases that have to be considered and somehow it seems that this was one choice that needed to be made in order to ensure that we weren't using an out-of-date index which would be just as frustrating if that were to happen.

For it not reverting back to the right USB source, I'll have to check that one out. I think that will inherently get fixed with the next software update where we skip sources that aren't connected, but I haven't heard of that issue specifically. I'll see if I can check on that one.

The reason you are seeing the inconsistent behavior for that reveal button sometimes bringing the Favorites up and sometimes not is due to the screen functions available on that screen. We always wanted the Favorites available on every screen. They are either connected to a row of buttons along the bottom of the screen, or if a screen doesn't have a row of buttons, then they are accessed by using that reveal button. A couple cases - the Home Screen, and Settings, for example, don't have any need for the row of buttons, so that reveal button just brings up the Favorites. Otherwise, if you are in the Audio or Navigation apps, they do have the row of buttons (no room for a reveal button), so you drag up on the bar of buttons. Now, you don't need to drag on any particular part of that row, just grab anywhere and drag up. Think of that whole row as a big grab handle. Then when you're done, just take that handle and slide it back down. We had a decision to only allow 0, 1, or 3 rows of favorites for several reasons. We designed the audio and navigation applications so that you could use the application with either 0 or 1 row of favorites visible and could still do everything. Once you got up to 2 rows of favorites, then it starts to block more of the application area above, and is difficult to accommodate. 3 rows is easy because it pretty much covers up the application you are using and you are only using your Favorites at that point. So, we made a choice to simplify it so the user could have 0 or 1 rows and be able to use the app, or just cover it up with 3 rows, and not get into the in-between state where you've got 2 rows. So, short answer is, we made a choice to exclude 2 rows of favorites.

For the touch points, you'll see some improvements with the next software update and I think you'll be pleased. We made quite a few adjustments with the touch areas for buttons particularly near the bottom of the screen to make it easier to activate.

Thanks again for the feedback and as I've said I will do everything I can to continue improving this system to its fullest.

danscrim
01-17-13, 01:50 PM
For it not reverting back to the right USB source, I'll have to check that one out. I think that will inherently get fixed with the next software update where we skip sources that aren't connected, but I haven't heard of that issue specifically. I'll see if I can check on that one.

For the touch points, you'll see some improvements with the next software update and I think you'll be pleased. We made quite a few adjustments with the touch areas for buttons particularly near the bottom of the screen to make it easier to activate.

I love when I see Cody's name on this forum because I feel like he's always dropping hints at updates and improvements they have made for the next release. I for one, CANNOT WAIT until I can get my hands on this update!!

bungee91
01-17-13, 02:01 PM
I appreciate the feedback, and look forward to the updates coming in the future.
Is it at all possible to appease the "power users" with special settings that are hidden to change different functions?
I don't have an exact list, but having the ability to see a file directory vs just seeing an indexed volume would be one example, or disable screen transitions, etc...
I get that this would be involved, but (IMHO) the aggregate everything and make it easier/"Apple" way of doing things isn't always what everyone wants, even while driving a car.

My experience with voice functions have been lackluster, and my results are hit or miss. One time it works, the next it finds a different result, which leads me to not using the system much if at all. I get that Cue uses an offline kind of voice interaction (Nuance) and Google's is all cloud bases, but Google Now has me spoiled when it comes to understanding what I'm actually saying vs giving me bad results. Also Google Maps just seems better laid out, and simpler to use and read than Navteq maps or whatever Cue decided to go with.
To be honest (and yes I'm sure I'm a minority) if I could turn off the voice features and everything would work faster and be indexed and even just have a file based music directories I'd be much happier.

----------

I love when I see Cody's name on this forum because I feel like he's always dropping hints at updates and improvements they have made for the next release. I for one, CANNOT WAIT until I can get my hands on this update!!

I agree that I do enjoy seeing a response from him, and also then wonder if he answered my specific question(s) or someone else's.
I'm not sure if I refer to him as "Cody" but I get the reference. :o Unless his real name is actually Cody, and in that case my assumed reference is wrong.

Also codeman, thanks for the Pandora tips, you're right that Cue does re-look for the device if you exit into another media source and come back. If I have the "check connected device" I can restart my phone (just killing the Pandora app on the phone doesn't seem to fix the issue) and go into some other media source, when I go back to Pandora it seems to find the phone and then work again. It's still frustrating, but very likely to be on the phone side, and not on Cue's.

danscrim
01-17-13, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure if I refer to him as "Cody" but I get the reference. :o Unless his real name is actually Cody, and in that case my assumed reference is wrong.

Haha. Yes, his real name is Cody. He posted it on one of these threads a while back.

codeman71
01-17-13, 03:37 PM
Yep, it's Cody :)

JDsCustom1
01-17-13, 09:24 PM
I would like a fix for my iPod.. I have an iPod in all of my cars plugged in through the USB.. When I am on a playlist and exit the xts turning the car off .. When I get back in the iPod will not track up or down it stays on the song it was on prior to leaving the car.. If I track up it just starts the song over same for,track back.. I can't change songs unless I reselect play list.. Pretty frustrating

kevinr
01-18-13, 01:46 AM
The indexing time is a pain for me too. I have a 120g iPod nearly always connected. When I get into the car, I often connect my 32g iPhone so that it doesn't drain battery on the way to work (and recharges on the way home).

With both of these devices, it's often still indexing 20 min in to my 25 min commute. Given this is for voice command that I virtually never use for music selection, I see a big system slow down to support a feature I don't care much about.

Even an option to disable voice command for music selection (and thereby disable indexing) would be a huge boon to me. And I would happily spot you a few megs of storage on both devices to cache an index. If my iPod never leaves the car, there's no need to re-index. And one could assert that by monitoring the USB port status until after the car is locked.

bungee91
01-18-13, 08:01 AM
More on Pandora issues: I've had this happen about 5 times, and I actually think it's a bluetooth issue with Cue and not Pandora at all.

Listening to music with Pandora on a track change the music reverts back to playing audio from my phone instead of through Cue/Pandora app.
The information on the Cue Pandora app looks correct and I can even change stations, however the audio will still continue to play on the phone, and not on Cue.
If I power cycle my phone Cue/Pandora just sits and says "acquiring Pandora radio". At this point my phone is still showing up as connected (in Cue, not in Pandora), even if I completely power off my phone.
I can go to the phone menu on Cue and the contacts are still listed, and the battery/signal are still showing up (even though the phone is off).

Now normal behavior of Cue is if I power cycle my phone Cue will give a message stating "Nexus 4 disconnected" and once the phone powers back up I then see "Nexus 4 connected" however when I have this Pandora lack of audio issue I don't see either of those messages. Which then makes me think the problem isn't necessarily related to Pandora (even though it seems to cause the issue to happen) but more related to the Bluetooth connection between the phone and Cue and that it stops responding.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side note to beat it to death: Tell the other group at GM to stop indexing EVERYTIME we start the car!..
That is all... =P

codeman71
01-18-13, 08:13 AM
Bungee, I've seen exactly what you've described and it happens when my Droid 3 freezes and locks up and I have to pull the battery. The phone could be powering back up and I can still get to my contacts list. I don't think this is necessarily an issue with CUE as we don't constantly ping the phone to make sure it is still there. Doing so would put unnecessary drain on the the battery. I have seen that eventually the phone shows up as disconnected, and I think that is a result of a periodic check we do with the phone to make sure it is still there, but we just don't do it constantly.

Now, normally when I power down my phone, I will get the Disconnected message like you said, followed by the Connected message when it comes back up. So I think that when things are operating normally, there is a handshake that occurs when the phone powers down and gracefully disconnects, rather than just no longer responding.

So if it's at all similar to how my phone acts when it freezes, it very well could be the phone where somewhere in the Bluetooth stack it is getting hung up and stops responding. I'm not a technical expert with the Bluetooth side of things, but that's my guess based on what you've described and what I've seen with my phone as well.

bungee91
01-18-13, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the response, however my situation is different than yours in that my phone hasn't frozen or locked up.
In fact I can still see the artist info, the track time counter is counting, the slide bar is updating, and I can even change stations, it's just that the A2DP side of things or whatever streaming method that it's using for the audio part of it seems to not be functioning anymore.

I think we may have a similar issue, just a bit different too.. =)
It's frustrating as it won't work again until Cue is restarted, there is nothing on the phone end that will fix this issue.

What's even worse is (as of yesterday exactly what happened) I still have a good 20 minute drive home and Pandora is broken until the next time I restart the car (and I guess wait for the 2 minutes for it to fully restart on start up), so I change media to my SD card that has been in the car (not removed) for weeks and I go to it and it says something like "no device found", so I then reach in and remove the SD card and reinsert it, and Cue then see's it and starts indexing. Of course that takes a while so I just give up and listen to the radio.. Grrrr.....

Yplus
01-18-13, 01:05 PM
I agree for SD Cards and USB flash devices where the interface is a native FAT drive, that it should be able to build a database of tags locally on that card, provided there is enough free space. I can see why this would be difficult on iPods and iPhones, but plain flash storage devices using FAT should be allowed.

kevinr
01-18-13, 10:00 PM
I agree for SD Cards and USB flash devices where the interface is a native FAT drive, that it should be able to build a database of tags locally on that card, provided there is enough free space. I can see why this would be difficult on iPods and iPhones, but plain flash storage devices using FAT should be allowed.

iPods all have an option to allow you to use the iPod's disk (or these days, solid-state memory) as a mountable volume. Of course, one would have to turn that setting on when the iPod was connected to your computer, but that's one option. I'm not an iOS expert so there may be others as well.

Also, the real need is to cache the index. If CUE can buffer 30 minutes of audio, it probably has enough memory to store a cache.

Runch Machine
01-19-13, 10:04 AM
Cody, the indexing of music each time the car is started is a huge problem for the users of the CUE system. It's necessary to come up with a solution that doesn't require indexing each time. I've had my car for 3 weeks, use either an Ipod or SD card for music almost exclusively and the current system isn't workable. Please discuss this with your peers and come up with some alternatives. Feel free to ask for feedback from the participants of this group. We all want the same thing, which is for CUE to be successful.

NJRonbo
01-22-13, 07:17 AM
It's necessary to come up with a solution that doesn't require indexing each time. I've had my car for 3 weeks, use either an Ipod or SD card for music almost exclusively and the current system isn't workable.

I am really frustrated at this point about this entire CUE debacle and torn about coming on here to continually express that frustration after the folks at GM/Cadillac have at least attempted to communicate on this forum and on the phone.

I have been fortunate to have a rep named Andrew keeping in touch with me on the phone. He's been very patient, and certainly, has shown an interest in responding to the emails that I have sent him. I have to give kudos to the CUE infotainment team for the dedication they have shown to their customers.

But here is what it boils down to....

The future of CUE, at least in the current 2013 and under vehicles, seems uncertain. At least that is the impression I got from the phone call.

The biggest problem with CUE is its indexing. I'm sorry, but having CUE re-index your phone, iPod or SD card every time you enter the vehicle was an idiotic decision on GM's part. The fact that I have to wait up to 10 minutes to use my phone when entering the vehicle, or can't listen to iPod music because it takes even longer to sync it, is just plain inexcusable. Really, who looked at that functionality and thought it was a good idea?

Yes, we are being promised some sort of fix, but I am wondering, can a fix can really be done? After talking with the CUE rep on the phone yesterday, I was told that some vehicles don't have a hard drive to store all that information. So, what would the fix be? My 2013 SRX may not have an internal drive. It's also possible that the current hardware is not fast enough to speed up the indexing process. Are we really going to see a fix where you can get in your car and have the opportunity to immediately make a phone call? Can the iPod indexing really be fixed for those of us with thousands of songs?

I am keeping faith that the CUE team will come up with something to fix these problems for current owners, but something tells me that many of the shortcomings of the current units won't be fixed until faster hardware is made available for perhaps the 2014 models. If faster hardware is the answer to the problem, the right thing to do would be for Cadillac to recall every current vehicle when that hardware is made available. But we all know that will never happen -- but it should. Anyone who bought this expensive vehicle expecting CUE to meet their expectations should have the opportunity to get a new unit should processing speed be the culprit.

It all comes down to this....

Cadillac is a premium brand. The cost of owning their vehicles doesn't come cheap. Cadillac owners expect the very best of everything in that brand. CUE does not live up to those expectations and I am highly disappointed to see that this system was even greenlit to be installed in their fleet when it has problems like these. This has been said many times before....I feel like a beta tester for GM. Furthermore, I fear that through my entire future ownership of this very expensive vehicle I am going to be faced with problems related to this system just because the manufacturer did not take the time to get all the bugs out before introducing it to the market. It's very unfair for every Cadillac owner that expected something revolutionary from this CUE system.

With apologies to Andrew and Codeman. We do appreciate you being here. Sometimes some of us feel the need to vent about this.

bungee91
01-22-13, 09:32 AM
I agree fully, I'm shocked that something of this nature got released and passed the expectations of the people connected with Cue.
To me it makes the system overall seem bad, and it ultimately seems that the overall goal is to allow voice dictation to control or select everything media based even though doing so makes usability or the index time suffer tremendously.
There is NO reason even in terms of CPU resources that the system needs to index every time at start up. How this is handled now just makes Cue seem slow, laggy, unusable, and overall kills the experience for the end user.
There is some form of memory or HDD space on Cue as it's used for time shifting radio broadcasts, and also tagging music from XM stations. I would certainly be willing to give up some time shifting space (still haven't even used the function) for a local index. Let alone all of the Nuance voice libraries, map data, Gracenote indexing, etc... are all stored on Cue somewhere.

There are many ways to accomplish this, GM if you're listening pick one!
It has been suggested (for SD/USB drives) to monitor these ports for a short time after powering down Cue or opening/closing the door. If the device that was plugged in wasn't removed once you've exited the vehicle then it hasn't changed! Leave the index the same and play music! This is merely 1 way of accomplishing this, and this way wouldn't require writing to the customers USB/SD card.

I will say this, and I mean it 100%!.. Other than a couple of unfortunate errors (power steering message, a charging/voltage problem, seat memory recall) Cue is the #1 problem with my ATS! It is the most frustrating part of the car and is seriously wrecking the overall great feel and drive-ability that the vehicle could be. It was marketed as revolutionary and had functions that I still to this day don't have (SMS being read to me, an App store, etc...) however even without the extra features the basic functionality is still flawed. Indexing is at the top of the list, followed by touch sensitivity and misplacement of touches vs on screen buttons (I'm told this is fixed), and still VERY laggy overall.

I really hope GM's listening because CUE is the #1 reason I wouldn't recommend the ATS to someone else, period!.

inspectorudy
01-22-13, 11:20 AM
Bungee, I cannot agree with you more about the frustration of CUE. I truly believe that Cadillac needs to offer what Microsoft offers on Windows 8 and that is the ability to go back to an older format if the user wants it. On W8 you can go to W7 with the click of a button and still retain most of the benefits of W8. It would seem like a simple mod to the program could offer, on the big screen, a radio button, nav, media, phone and settings but leave the A/C controls fixed on the lower panel along with the CD player and give an electronically unsophisticated person a car with immediate and instantly understandable controls. I do not see this as a big cost item since all the ingredients are already there. I cannot imagine loaning my SRX to someone who has had no experience with this kind of system out of fear for their safety. Sure the basic car is there but just the A/C system alone is complex if one doesn't realize that the silver thingys do nothing and the control is actually above them. Maybe your team can kick this around to see if it is feasible and practicable to offer a format change. I fear that Cadillac's future is in danger if this system as it now stands is their future offering. You have to realize that the people on this forum are avid fans of the CUE system and we spend a lot more time with it than most car owners do so we are not the typical owners. Thanks again Codeman for you frequent replies to our questions.

JWLaRue
01-22-13, 09:45 PM
I'm thinking that whether or not indexing can be made to work faster or store an existing index, the system should prioritize certain functions like the phone at startup and let indexing run in the background.

-Jeff

kevinr
01-23-13, 01:59 AM
I'm thinking that whether or not indexing can be made to work faster or store an existing index, the system should prioritize certain functions like the phone at startup and let indexing run in the background.

-Jeff

Or, as I posted earlier, disable it entirely. I recall Cody saying that indexing is for voice command prep. Voice command is redundant to on screen navigation. A very practical solution would be to simplify the on-screen music navigation (as would be warranted if considered the primary UI) and allow the user to turn off voice commands for music (and thereby reduce or eliminate time spent building redundant indices).

I can't foresee any reason why that solution would be technically impractical.

Denchikd
01-25-13, 07:59 AM
Codeman71... I love the fact that someone from Cadillac actually looked at this. Thank so very much. I just picked up my cadillac from the Dealer for the second time that they've had it for a week addressing various issues and small items. I will put some time in this weekend and provide more precise information with specific examples. I work in the technology integration business personally and deal with similiar things daily. Everytime I have to fight with my developers when I call something a bug and they tell me that its a feature. Anyway, my point is that I love what you guys have done with the car; and cadillac in General providing CUE is a great addition; rough on the edges at first and personally I don't mind the small issues and bugs. I want to participate to help make a better product for everyone.

Is there an submission method to report issues? or is it best to just stick to this forum?

on some items the dealer is completely useless and this is annoying as our only point of contact official is to talk to the dealer. My issues with the car are not only CUE related, but for this thread I will stick to DIC and CUE related items only. When I report an issue the dealer says "weve looked at other XTS's on the lot and they all have this same thing, so therefore its not an issue".

DAVe

codeman71
01-25-13, 08:05 AM
Hi Dave,

I'm very glad this forum is here for me to be able to interact with you guys! The CUE support phone number would be another way to report an issue, but then it has to go through a few other groups to actually get back to my team. So, this forum is the most direct way, although issues officially reported probably get higher priority and attention.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having with the vehicle itself and that the dealer isn't being very helpful. Hopefully they will become more knowledgeable about the vehicle as they see more and more of them.

Thanks again for your patience and your support of Cadillac/GM!

-Cody

kevinr
01-25-13, 12:48 PM
Anyway, my point is that I love what you guys have done with the car; and cadillac in General providing CUE is a great addition; rough on the edges at first and personally I don't mind the small issues and bugs. I want to participate to help make a better product for everyone.

DAVe

My feeling as well. I would be happy to contribute to any process we follow to give Cody and his team the grassroots support for improving CUE.

I, too deal with similar design issues professionally, and in my world, having an informed an active user base can sometimes be helpful in prioritization discussions.

jreihsen
01-30-13, 01:23 PM
Here's another indexing issue that I haven't found elsewhere in the CUE forum. I have a 4S running IOS6 and, after giving it time to index (~2 minutes) it seemed to have found all my music.
I then tried the destination contact option in the navigation system. It found about 1/3 of the contact addresses that were in my phone. I checked to make sure that the missing addresses were iCloud and were not from one of my other iPhone contact lists (Outlook or GMail). I could not find a pattern to the missing contacts. This is somewhat trivial, but please add it to your list.

Thanks
Jim

UXMinion
01-30-13, 01:36 PM
My feeling as well. I would be happy to contribute to any process we follow to give Cody and his team the grassroots support for improving CUE.

I, too deal with similar design issues professionally, and in my world, having an informed an active user base can sometimes be helpful in prioritization discussions.

Hello everyone,

+1 Person from the CUE team paying attention to the comments of the forum. Cody, got me started on the forum and its been great to read the feedback that has been created so far. Even when it is sharp critique, we can use this as ammunition to start the dialogue for a change. As kevinr said, this is why we are here, and its great.

I can promise you this; I'm not as cool as Cody. He has been apart of the CUE development since the beginning. He has a lot more of the inner working knowledge of the system and he just a wiz in general.
I will however do what I can. I am generally not much of a forum, facebook or blogging type but I will pipe up and support ideas internally at GM that I see and hear.

Thanks so much,

-Mark

RippyPartsDept
01-30-13, 01:47 PM
:welcome: :wave:

NJRonbo
01-30-13, 05:14 PM
UXMinion,

Welcome.

Perhaps you or someone from the CUE team can tell us how the update that was supposed to be available to us this month is going?

I would like the ability to actually be able to place a phone call when I get in my vehicle.

I'd also like the ability to use my iPod. Have had my vehicle for 2 months now and I can't use my iPod in the Cadillac because of the indexing issues.

All this was "supposed" to be fixed in an update this month, but the month is now over.

RippyPartsDept
01-30-13, 05:36 PM
All this was "supposed" to be fixed in an update this month, but the month is now over.

don't take this the wrong way... i'm not trying to pick on you - but the opinion you're voicing is from disappointment of a deadline missed (and i understand that)
but if codeman was never here on the forum, all we would have is owners complaining and not getting much info from their dealers (because we don't have much info)

this is why GM (and other companies) doesn't like it when employees/people with inside info let it out in public (like codeman has been doing)
it can cause this unnecessary disappointment

their internal target for the update was this month
codeman tells us to expect it
all the owners get a bit upset when the date comes and goes
but GM never had the update roll-out set in stone ... they just had an internal target
it will roll-out when it's ready, which is a good thing... you don't want any problems with a software update of this magnatude
(plus we're not talking about peoples home or work computer here)

but just FYI we got our first notification (as a dealer) of this update and how it will be rolled-out
it will roll-out slowly to make sure the dealer can provide the level of service that cadillac wants to provide and the owners expect
you will get a notification from GM and/or your dealer when they are ready to schedule you in

inspectorudy
01-30-13, 05:48 PM
I used my NAVIGATION CONTACT command today to check it out and got a mixed results. The first time I tried it after the CUE lady gave me the beep I got as far as her repeating "Say Navigation Contact" to which I replied "Home". She then went into a tutorial on how to say or enter navigation contacts including several examples. I tried once more with "Navigation Contact" to which she replied "Say contact name or address" and then I replied "Home'. She then told me to look at the screen on my right and confirm the contact was correct. I waited for the tone each time and used the exact words both times. There has to be an improvement or it will be like driving with a spouse with a bad attitude. I have learned to use the exact terms she uses to help cut down on the confusion factor. An example is when she asks "Correct"? I always say "Correct" instead of "Yes". It looks like she will teach us old folks how to speak or she'll make driving a living hell. BTW, Rippy is right about the update to our systems. If we had never known of the upcoming update then we would have just been p oed with no one to turn to. Codeman has done a good job of making us all feel that help was on the way even if the date was not certain. Our next level of angst will be AFTER the update when or if there are not the improvements we are all expecting. I am betting on somewhere in the middle of all the complaints that we have seen on this forum but nothing earth shattering.

bungee91
01-30-13, 06:21 PM
UXMinion,
Have had my vehicle for 2 months now and I can't use my iPod in the Cadillac because of the indexing issues.

I haven't read a single reply regarding indexing that says that it's going to be better or "fixed", I love your optimism, but I'm just not drinking that kool-aid at this point in time.

kevinr
01-31-13, 01:16 AM
It found about 1/3 of the contact addresses that were in my phone. I checked to make sure that the missing addresses were iCloud and were not from one of my other iPhone contact lists (Outlook or GMail). I could not find a pattern to the missing contacts. This is somewhat trivial, but please add it to your list.

Thanks
Jim

Jim, I hope I'm not stating the obvious, but did u check the Bluetooth settings on your phone? iOS lets you choose which contacts sync.

In Settings: Bluetooth, if u click on the triangle next to Cadillac CUE, you will see a Contacts sync setup screen. The bottom half of that screen allows you to set-up which Contacts *group* gets synced to your phone.

If that set-up pointed to a group that was only a partial list of your contacts, it could result in the behavior you specified.

This happened to me, in that for some reason, my phone was configured to sync with a contact group that I had started to set-up long ago, had not finished and so it had like six old contacts, none of which were useful.

NJRonbo
01-31-13, 07:45 AM
I haven't read a single reply regarding indexing that says that it's going to be better or "fixed", I love your optimism, but I'm just not drinking that kool-aid at this point in time.

Bungee,

I have been talking to a rep from the CUE team on the phone. So, there is more that I am hearing than what has been posted here.

However, even what I am hearing is conflicted.

I believe that it was Codeman that stated in this thread that he had similar problems with his iPod not playing and that there was a fix on the way.

EDIT: Here is his exact response in post #22

I have experienced the exact same song matching issue in the car that I have been driving and it was also driving me up the wall. I filed a report and was told that it had been corrected. I just don't know when that particular fix will be rolled out to customers, but I have been assured it has been fixed.

However, in the last phone call I had with a CUE rep, I was told that in order to have the information (cell phone contacts and iPod index) properly stored for faster access, there needs to be a hard drive. Not all vehicles have a hard drive in them.

So, I am being cautiously optimistic that a workaround fix has been accomplished. At the same time, without a hard drive involved, I don't know how the heck CUE will be able to permanently store its information so that everything is not being re-indexed every time the driver gets in and out of the vehicle.

I continue to be very frustrated with Cadillac overall for approving this CUE system in the state that it is in. This system does not belong in a flagship vehicle with these problems intact. I have written letters to the CEO and President of the company, but I don't expect anything out of it.

inspectorudy
01-31-13, 12:18 PM
Careful Bungee, you are treading into forbidden territory with your last comment and the monitors will come down hard on you.

bungee91
01-31-13, 01:37 PM
Careful Bungee, you are treading into forbidden territory with your last comment and the monitors will come down hard on you.
I hope that you're kidding as I said nothing wrong or against the rules.

In fact I only reflected on what's been stated in this forum, and referenced complaints from user's having issues (including myself!), and then my opinion or feeling.
Yes, I'm still not confident things will be much better, however I do applaud the techs and people responsible for fixing problems.
I apologize if optimism isn't my strong suit here, however I do strongly believe some of these things should have been fixed prior to release, however that is merely my opinion.

----------

I continue to be very frustrated with Cadillac overall for approving this CUE system in the state that it is in. This system does not belong in a flagship vehicle with these problems intact. I have written letters to the CEO and President of the company, but I don't expect anything out of it.
It's not just me who believes the same, optimism or not.

----------

I apologize for de-railing this thread.

Has there been any fix for playback from the SD card not properly resuming at times?
I've read at least one other member's comment with similar issues as myself.

codeman71
01-31-13, 03:42 PM
Has there been any fix for playback from the SD card not properly resuming at times?
I've read at least one other member's comment with similar issues as myself.

I don't know for certain at the moment if that has been improved. I've been focusing most of my attention on the indexing issues trying to see what we can do to get that resolved. I'll try to check on this one when I get a chance.

bungee91
01-31-13, 03:58 PM
I don't know for certain at the moment if that has been improved. I've been focusing most of my attention on the indexing issues trying to see what we can do to get that resolved. I'll try to check on this one when I get a chance.

Thanks for the update, and also am excited to hear about your work on the indexing side of things.
Your responses and input are much appreciated, and I honestly don't dislike you, promise... =P

codeman71
01-31-13, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the update, and also am excited to hear about your work on the indexing side of things.
Your responses and input are much appreciated, and I honestly don't dislike you, promise... =P

No, I totally understand. The product shouldn't be acting this way, and it frustrates me to no end that it does... That's why I'm trying to do everything I can to get it right.

NJRonbo
01-31-13, 05:39 PM
Codeman,

I am going to put you on the spot here and hope that you are able to answer these questions...

1. Does it look like the phone and iPod indexing problem will be totally fixed with the next update? By that I mean iPods with thousands of songs will have their content correctly accessed as soon as you get into the vehicle? Also, a phone call can be made immediately upon entering the vehicle despite the size of the contacts list?

2. If not, is it true that vehicles will need a hard drive to permanently store what is being indexed for best performance?

3. Does the 2013 SRX have an internal hard drive? If so, could that be manipulated into solving the problem with indexing?

And, for the record, I don't dislike you either. I am very happy you are here. My anger is with Cadillac for allowing this system to be placed into their flagship vehicles with the bugs that it has.

inspectorudy
01-31-13, 07:30 PM
I have a '13 SRX and no it doesn't have a HDD. My '11 did and why they took it out is beyond me. I only have about 100 songs on my Windows phone and it still takes about three of four minutes for the system to not say that "A device is being initialized and cannot be used at this time". What puzzles me is that the crew designing this system did not use their own Iphones or whatever brand they had to realize that it was not going to work until all of the contents of their phones was re-scanned each start up. Codeman is straight with us about the short comings of CUE but it does bring to mind that there should have been more real world testing with it before it was launched.

jeffpaletz
01-31-13, 09:10 PM
I really don't see a need for a hard drive due to the memory that already exists in the system and the ease of putting in a USB or SD card that holds many gigs of storage. It's very easy to load music onto an SD card from a computer and insert it into the car. As far as a place to store the index, the radio has a lot of memory in it since it can store up to 30 minutes of audio. An index of thousands of songs would take up very little space, especially compared to storing even 1 minute of audio. Perhaps that area could be used to store the index. Also, they could use space on the users USB or SD Card.

inspectorudy
02-01-13, 12:30 AM
I think someone else has offered that they could use a search after shutdown of the engine to determine if the prior plug ins were still plugged in and to not require a new scan on the next start up. This would require no big memory use just a device scan that had not changed. I personally think that the CUE people did not imagine that many people would have THOUSANDS of songs on their phones/Ipods or SD cards that had to be scanned at every start up. I think they will solve this problem but wonder about the management of the team that did not think this through.

kevinr
02-01-13, 12:45 AM
I really don't see a need for a hard drive due to the memory that already exists in the system and the ease of putting in a USB or SD card that holds many gigs of storage. It's very easy to load music onto an SD card from a computer and insert it into the car. As far as a place to store the index, the radio has a lot of memory in it since it can store up to 30 minutes of audio. An index of thousands of songs would take up very little space, especially compared to storing even 1 minute of audio.

I've been thinking about that (I earlier considered the same solution), and now I'm not sure it's true.

The cached audio is most likely compressed, and depending on bit rate and CODEC, 30 min would typically be around 30 MB or so of memory -- much less if encoded at low bit rates. Depending on what being storing in the index, the index size could be trivial or it could exceed the size of the radio cache.

Of course, there may be other memory sources available for the index, we just don't know.

Also, they could use space on the users USB or SD Card.

This seems like a more promising possibility, but again might be non-trivial. So far as I know, CUE doesn't write *any* files to USB, so the basic functionality to write a file to an attached volume might not be present in the current implementation.

Regardless of my points above, I do believe that a solution to indexing *could* be implemented, if there was sufficient motivation to do so. But it might or might not be easy.

codeman71
02-01-13, 07:52 AM
Codeman,

I am going to put you on the spot here and hope that you are able to answer these questions...

1. Does it look like the phone and iPod indexing problem will be totally fixed with the next update? By that I mean iPods with thousands of songs will have their content correctly accessed as soon as you get into the vehicle? Also, a phone call can be made immediately upon entering the vehicle despite the size of the contacts list?

2. If not, is it true that vehicles will need a hard drive to permanently store what is being indexed for best performance?

3. Does the 2013 SRX have an internal hard drive? If so, could that be manipulated into solving the problem with indexing?

And, for the record, I don't dislike you either. I am very happy you are here. My anger is with Cadillac for allowing this system to be placed into their flagship vehicles with the bugs that it has.

1. I'm sorry, but I do not know for certain. I do not believe the phone indexing issue will be fixed, so there will still be some time delay for that. I have a feeling that the iPod indexing issue will still be there as well, but that's the one I'm trying very hard to see what's going on because it shouldn't be doing this.

2. No, a hard drive is not required. There is ample flash memory embedded in the unit so an HDD is not required. It all comes down to determining what has changed (if anything) on a connected device to make sure that all the content has been indexed and that the system isn't missing something.

3. No, none of the CUE systems have hard drives. I don't know why the call center is saying this but I have gotten in touch with them to clear that up - so thanks for the heads up on that one. But like I said, there's flash memory, so storage space isn't the issue...it's the logic behind determining what's been updated, and a certain amount of file checking is required for this.

jreihsen
02-01-13, 11:27 AM
Jim, I hope I'm not stating the obvious, but did u check the Bluetooth settings on your phone? iOS lets you choose which contacts sync.

In Settings: Bluetooth, if u click on the triangle next to Cadillac CUE, you will see a Contacts sync setup screen. The bottom half of that screen allows you to set-up which Contacts *group* gets synced to your phone.

If that set-up pointed to a group that was only a partial list of your contacts, it could result in the behavior you specified.

This happened to me, in that for some reason, my phone was configured to sync with a contact group that I had started to set-up long ago, had not finished and so it had like six old contacts, none of which were useful.

Kevin
Thanks for the hint. I had not seen the Group selection in the iPhone Cadillac CUE Bluetooth options.

The "All Contacts" option had been checked default, along with some other groups. I tried selecting "All Contacts" only and restarting the car and the phone to no avail. I then tried creating duplicates of the ignored contacts, also to no avail. For some reason, it just doesn't want to go to my brother in law's house.

codeman71
02-01-13, 12:36 PM
Kevin
Thanks for the hint. I had not seen the Group selection in the iPhone Cadillac CUE Bluetooth options.

The "All Contacts" option had been checked default, along with some other groups. I tried selecting "All Contacts" only and restarting the car and the phone to no avail. I then tried creating duplicates of the ignored contacts, also to no avail. For some reason, it just doesn't want to go to my brother in law's house.

That's so strange that it's not getting them all. So you have phone numbers for everyone, but not all the addresses associated with the contacts are coming over? Just want to make sure I know exactly what you're seeing when I talk to the engineers about it.

jreihsen
02-01-13, 02:28 PM
That's so strange that it's not getting them all. So you have phone numbers for everyone, but not all the addresses associated with the contacts are coming over? Just want to make sure I know exactly what you're seeing when I talk to the engineers about it.
I hadn't thought of missing phone #s. I'll check to see if that is the commonality.
----------
Thanks Cody!
All of the missing contacts have no phone #s. Definitely an iOS issue, and one that I should have caught. Ten minutes of getting phone #s and that issue is resolved.

RippyPartsDept
02-01-13, 03:41 PM
interesting little twist

Sir CussFreq
02-01-13, 07:24 PM
Sounds like that may be an issue with CUE not accepting contacts that don't have a phone number associated... Although I can't say for sure whether that's CUE not accepting them, or if iOS simply isn't pushing them. Good to know that's a requirement, though.

Side note, I finally got around to disconnecting my ipod, and confirmed that I was finally able to use voice commands to call contacts. I'm bummed that I can't really use my ipod, though. As a temporary fix, how about an option to disable media indexing on ipods / iphones? I don't care that much about not being able to pull up media by voice commands for the time being, though that's with the assumption that the indexing issues will be resolved sooner than later.

jreihsen
02-01-13, 08:53 PM
Cody:
So, to summarize my contact issue: Contacts from an iPhone 4s with iOS 6 with no phone numbers will not be seen in the navigation's list. Even if they have a full physical address.

Now, to be entirely fair, this is probably an iOS issue. Also it seems pretty trivial, granted the fact that I have the phone with the contact's address in the car.

CDN XTS
02-03-13, 02:40 PM
On the very importing indexing issue still being addressed, anyone know whether the iTunes folder (which iTunes placed in my Music Folder on my computer which also appears to cache all music files) is needed on my SD card in my car and would deleting that folder on the SD car speed up indexing or does CUE need data from this folder? Doubt it as there are no mp3 or the like files in the folder. On the other hand could the iTunes Music Library.xml file be used by CUE to speed up indexing?. It took over 40 minutes for me to finally be able to put an artist on a favorite button and not being told that it is still indexing.

danscrim
02-04-13, 08:33 AM
Regarding this indexing issue: Maybe I'm just lucky but it seems like my car isn't re-indexing every time? I'm using a 64 GB microSD card (with adapter) formatted as NTFS with about 6k songs on it. Every time I add or delete songs it takes about 10-15 minutes to re-index. However once that happens, I leave the SD card in the car and when I start it up, all of the songs and playlists are immediately available. It usually takes the full 10-15 minutes (when it is re-indexing) to see the playlists.

So I'm not sure if I'm just lucky, or if it's the fact that I'm using an SD card, or that it's formatted as NTFS, or what not... but this appears to be working!

PS: When I originally was testing the 64 GB microSD card... it wasn't being recognized by CUE... but my 32 GB microSD card was. I ended up swapping the adapters and it worked. Not sure why, but the adapter that came with the 64 GB microSD card wasn't working in CUE... but it did work in my computer. So keep that in mind if you're having issues.

CDN XTS
02-04-13, 06:11 PM
@ danscrim

I just posted the following (see link below) which is very much related to the issue and I indicated there my brief experience and it may also explain the issue of your 64GB card experience which has to be an SDXC version as any of the others only support up to 32GB as far as I know. (Micro/mini/standard refer to physical size not space as far as I know)

The more I am trying to look into the iTunes folder the more questions I have. There is certainly a lot in it which may not be needed including video info, just noted iTunes actually also copied all my video files (in a different format - m4v) from my Video folder into the iTunes folder but I am not sure if such delays the indexing or not. e.g. is CUE simply ignoring the CACHE, movies, etc. and only looks up the data in the iTunes files which has the playlists and of course also indexes every music file.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-xts-forum/279204-music-transfer.html

From my very brief experience (only have the car for a few days), there seems to be a difference between viewing via CUE data on the SD card and selecting a song, etc. and the indexing aspect required for placing something on a favorite button etc. After putting the CD card in and selecting it, I was immediately able to search for an artist, etc. select and play music, including playing music from the card via Shuffle, but I was not able to place that artist on a favorite button because indexing was not completed.

At this stage I am only guessing as to what actions requires the time consuming indexing at every start of the car v/s playing a song from the card. Reading Cody's comments I am sure the CUE people are looking into the indexing "time problem" to provide a fix which it certainly needs.

danscrim
02-04-13, 06:21 PM
@CDN XTS

Thanks for the link. First off... if you're on Windows... click Alt. Go to View -> Show Status Bar to display the bottom bar with the number of songs.

Secondly, yes CUE does support Video. I haven't gotten it to work yet so I'm unsure if it is just in park (I assume so) or also available when the vehicle is just not in motion (kind of useless anyway). If I get that working, I'll let you know.

Thirdly, next time I update the songs on the device and I know it is indexing I will attempt to save an artist as a favorite and let you know how it goes.

Lastly, you're right... micro definitely is just the physical size (not capacity). That's why I needed the adapter to play it. My 64 GB SD Card is a SDXC card, but as someone else on another thread previously mentioned... it's generally the default format (exFAT) that is not compatible. When formatted as NTFS it usually works (which it does for me). It's just weird that it only works in one of the microSD adapters. No idea why.

Thanks for all the great info!

Sir CussFreq
02-05-13, 12:27 AM
I finally got to take CUE for a short road trip - ~3.5 hours each way. Had a couple quirks... First, since it's on topic, the ipod indexing - I plugged my ipod in about halfway through on the way there, and left it plugged in. On the way back, after 2 hours of driving pressing the voice commands button still said 'device initializing'. :(

The other annoying quirk was when we were streaming Pandora over bluetooth. We wanted to switch to my friend's phone to access his Pandora mixes, so we paired his device and that worked perfectly... After a while I wanted to reconnect my phone for some reason or another, so we went back to the phones page. With Pandora still playing through his phone, I clicked my device (previously paired) and the music stopped. His phone said the bluetooth connection was dead, but CUE still said it was connected. There was no prompt to disconnect. I tried clicking the X on his device, and the prompt to disconnect came up, but CUE never released the connection. Tried everything else we could think of, but couldn't do anything with bluetooth until I had the opportunity to shut the car down and let CUE reboot.

Did not have the opportunity to do more tests (like whether or not the same issue would have occurred if I'd clicked the X to disconnect his device before clicking my device, or if the issue is even replicable by following the same steps...)

danscrim
02-05-13, 08:30 AM
I finally got to take CUE for a short road trip - ~3.5 hours each way. Had a couple quirks... First, since it's on topic, the ipod indexing - I plugged my ipod in about halfway through on the way there, and left it plugged in. On the way back, after 2 hours of driving pressing the voice commands button still said 'device initializing'. :(

Just be careful with this. Depending upon what type of phone you have, this could be caused by a bug unrelated to indexing your iPod. For example.... I have a an SD card and iPod plugged in and even when they are fully indexed my car will ALWAYS say "Device Initializing...". I believe this bug, which causes a never ending "Device Initialization," affects Android users (only? I believe?) when connected through Bluetooth. Cody has confirmed this as a nasty bug that has been addressed in the next CUE update.

So it very well could have been your iPod, but 2 hours seems like a reallllllly long time to index a device. So I wouldn't be surprised if you were encountering this bug.

Sir CussFreq
02-05-13, 09:32 AM
True, I'm not positive what's happening in the background... But as long as I unplug the ipod prior to starting the car, the 'device initializing' prompt goes away fairly quickly. If it's plugged in when I start, even if I later unplug it, I never seem to get rid of that device initializing message.

CDN XTS
02-06-13, 03:35 AM
@CDN XTS

Thanks for the link. First off... if you're on Windows... click Alt. Go to View -> Show Status Bar to display the bottom bar with the number of songs. <Thanks have 2905 songs.>

Secondly, yes CUE does support Video. I haven't gotten it to work yet so I'm unsure if it is just in park (I assume so) or also available when the vehicle is just not in motion (kind of useless anyway). If I get that working, I'll let you know. < someone else said it works "sometimes" - Personally I don't wont video in the car, even it parked, Can alwasy use my iPad >

Thirdly, next time I update the songs on the device and I know it is indexing I will attempt to save an artist as a favorite and let you know how it goes. <tried again - only works after indexing completed - see my rather long further post in my previously posted link >

Lastly, you're right... micro definitely is just the physical size (not capacity). That's why I needed the adapter to play it. My 64 GB SD Card is a SDXC card, but as someone else on another thread previously mentioned... it's generally the default format (exFAT) that is not compatible. When formatted as NTFS it usually works (which it does for me). It's just weird that it only works in one of the microSD adapters. No idea why. < so CUE can actually use SDXC cards - just don't know why such info for both SD and USB port specification have not been documented in the manual nor advised elsewhere, say the Caddy website.>

Thanks for all the great info! < you are welcome, let's help each other, that why I like this forum >

See my reply imbedded in red in the qoute.

watstud
02-06-13, 10:32 AM
Wow this thread is awesome. Unfortunately, GM support is Canada is less than helpful with CUE issues, but I've read through the thread and its great to see a direct link to the team. I'm a software developer myself, so its awesome to have a direct line to developers.

I have two issues, that I'm hoping will be corrected:

1. No MTP support. Unfortunately, my RAZR HD with Jelly Bean no longer supports mass media mode for the internal card, and CUE doesn't recognize the phone in MTP mode. Any idea whether this will be supported? This is the way of the future for most android phones unfortunately.

2. CUE can't display album art from AAC files on USB/android phones even though it is embedded. The files are downloaded from iTunes directly, and I've confirmed with other programs that the album art is embedded in the file. CUE will not display them (though itunes files show album art if you are using an apple device).

Congrats on building an impressive system. Even with these quirks, I'm very happy with it.

codeman71
02-06-13, 01:44 PM
Wow this thread is awesome. Unfortunately, GM support is Canada is less than helpful with CUE issues, but I've read through the thread and its great to see a direct link to the team. I'm a software developer myself, so its awesome to have a direct line to developers.

I have two issues, that I'm hoping will be corrected:

1. No MTP support. Unfortunately, my RAZR HD with Jelly Bean no longer supports mass media mode for the internal card, and CUE doesn't recognize the phone in MTP mode. Any idea whether this will be supported? This is the way of the future for most android phones unfortunately.

2. CUE can't display album art from AAC files on USB/android phones even though it is embedded. The files are downloaded from iTunes directly, and I've confirmed with other programs that the album art is embedded in the file. CUE will not display them (though itunes files show album art if you are using an apple device).

Congrats on building an impressive system. Even with these quirks, I'm very happy with it.

Thanks so much for the compliment. It is really appreciated, and we hope to be able to keep improving the system to make the experience even better.

1. I do not believe MTP support is currently being worked on, but it could be. We used to have MTP in our previous systems when Windows PlaysForSure devices were prevalent, along with Zune, but with the death of both of those, we elected to drop it. But, if that's how Android phones are going, I'll try to bring it up to get it back in. Thanks for the tip!

2. I'm not sure about the album art for the AAC files. I'll also check into this one. I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work so we'll see!

Thanks again,
Cody

bungee91
02-06-13, 01:45 PM
Looks like an update in early March, good info posted at the link below.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/cadillac-cue-update-coming-soon-116177/

RippyPartsDept
02-06-13, 01:50 PM
nice, at least that's a bit more (and more accurate) info than the wired blurb that the news bot posted about yesterday
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-news-concepts-future-models-rumors/281208-cadillac-news-cadillac-rushing-update-laggy.html

bungee91
02-06-13, 01:59 PM
Informative, thank you.

I had previously read the Engadget article which also talks about future implementations of Cue having some form of knobs/buttons added as opposed to touch only inputs.

I have to say I wish some things were physical knobs/buttons, like volume & seat heaters to name a few.

Yplus
02-06-13, 03:18 PM
nice, at least that's a bit more (and more accurate) info than the wired blurb that the news bot posted about yesterday
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-news-concepts-future-models-rumors/281208-cadillac-news-cadillac-rushing-update-laggy.html

Thanks for the link. Here's my version of the article:

"Blah blah blah blah ....Siri Eye Free through steering wheel button...."
Yeeesssss!!
"...blah blah blah ....Loaner Car...."

Uhm, CTS-V Wagon maybe considering the few months I've spent relearning how to safely drive a car without Siri? :lildevil:

Still no mention of the CUE App Store or how we would get 3rd part apps on CUE??

danscrim
02-06-13, 03:25 PM
Still no mention of the CUE App Store or how we would get 3rd part apps on CUE??

Based on the documentation on developer.gm.com I can almost positively say that we will not be getting apps in this update. In-Vehicle Apps aren't going to be supported until MY 2014 vehicles in late 2013. Then they will have to update MY 2013 vehicles to support the new app store, etc. Based on the forums on that site, it seems like this is in the plans (i.e., MY 2013 vehicles will not be left out) but I don't think it's priority 1 (which is get the app store, etc working for MY 2014 vehicles).

Johnfran
02-15-13, 03:22 PM
When on a trip be nice to see just the rest areas on your ROUTE instead of all in the area.

inspectorudy
02-18-13, 12:18 AM
I am asking about some of your user experience with the favorite bars and how to get it to go up or down. Today I and my wife and my daughter all tried to swipe anywhere on the big screen to get the favorites bar to do anything. I got it to come up while swiping the left side of the screen but the only way to get it to go back to one row of favorites was by swiping directly on the down arrow head in the center of the top of the favorites bar. No matter who or where we tried it would not budge unless the actual arrow head was contacted. I was led to believe that any up or down swipe would make the favorites bar respond. This became a big issue in Downtown Atlanta while using the Nav to locate a rental hall and when the hand movement row comes into play along with a double row of favorites there is no Nav screen left to look at. We missed our turn and had to circle back because the screen was totally obstructed with unwanted crap. I tried using the HOME button and then Nav but immediately I got two rows of favorites and the hand motion row and only a one inch nav screen. Folks there has to be a solution to this madness. I have a car that fights me on almost every issue unless I change my entire way of thinking. The favorites bar that I love has to have a dedicated on/off button so that it can be activated or deleted when it is necessary. And the hand motion sensor needs an owner time limit adjustment like my cable box info setting. What I realized this weekend was that if you are doing what you do on an everyday basis then this CUE system is fine but when you are doing something that requires a new quick approach this thing needs work. One idea I had during my NAV debacle is that when there is a navigation maneuver coming up that the Nav screen should delete everything but the nav info. Try it yourself and see what happens during an intown heavy traffic maneuver and the screen has two rows of favorites and the hand motion row. There is no Nav screen left and there is no quick way to clear it that I know of. Man I hope the update has some answers.

jeffpaletz
02-18-13, 08:41 AM
I learned that you have to press harder than you might otherwise think you have to in order to get the screen to recognize you are touching it. I have an Ipad and Iphone and you have to press harder on the CUE screen than you do on an ipad. I have experienced the issue of the screen not clearing for a couple of minutes after your hand is removed from the area. I don't have any suggestions for that.

CDN XTS
02-18-13, 10:24 AM
Informative, thank you.

I had previously read the Engadget article which also talks about future implementations of Cue having some form of knobs/buttons added as opposed to touch only inputs.

I have to say I wish some things were physical knobs/buttons, like volume & seat heaters to name a few.

As to volume, a) I don't have an issue with the physical bar below the CUE screen which I can find "blind" just like the physical nob on my previous STS and b) there are still two physical buttons for volume "up" and "down" right on the steering wheel - at least on my XTS. And that bar gives my younger wife, riding in the passenger seat, the same control as the previous nob in turning down the volume, so that my "old" ears have some difficulty to hear the music. Maybe I should have said "unfortunately". LOL.

As to seat heaters, the "touch" buttons on my XTS works just a good as the more physical buttons on my STS, and I usually set the seat heater prior to putting the car into gear, so I don't have a problem. The same goes for the seat A/C which were not even available on my 03 STS, so I am looking forward to those in the summer.

But that's me and even at age 78 I have no problem to adapt to different ways - after all, it's impossible to please everyone - , but I do respect the views of others. It could also be the case that "virtual" buttons may be easier to control via changable software than hard wired buttons. But I am not an expert on such. For example, CUE could probably programmed to start the heater in low, medium or high via a user preset, rather than touching that virtual button more than once - I'm not suggesting this as a "wish", this is just an example. Another example may be the available setting for maximum start-up volume on page 98 of the CUE manual, although I am not sure if this could just as easily be implemented with a hard wired nob.

NJRonbo
02-18-13, 10:31 AM
Coming from a 2010 SRX to a 2013 I was very surprised to see a major feature missing from CUE (or at least I haven't found it)....

The ability to buffer content so that you can rewind/fast-forward radio music/content that you want to hear again.

danscrim
02-18-13, 10:46 AM
Coming from a 2010 SRX to a 2013 I was very surprised to see a major feature missing from CUE (or at least I haven't found it)....

The ability to buffer content so that you can rewind/fast-forward radio music/content that you want to hear again.

I think it's called timeshift and it's available on the ATS. I don't know why it wouldn't be on your SRX? Make sure it's enabled in the settings.

NJRonbo
02-18-13, 10:50 AM
Oh...it's something that needs to be turned on in settings?

I will look for it and report back. I don't remember seeing it, initially, and I do know that some aspects of CUE is quite different in each vehicle.

jeffpaletz
02-18-13, 07:15 PM
It's in there, my wife has an SRX and it has the timeshift feature.

inspectorudy
02-18-13, 07:33 PM
I do not have an issue with any of the "Touch" buttons but the way each is touched does not get the same results each time. I have tapped the up down arrow on the screen when a selection is required and sometimes it jumps one or two spots and other times it will not move. Volume is fine with both the wheel control and the slide control on the console. I guess my concern is that the effort to do many things on the CUE menu is not consistent and requires more attention sometimes than is necessary. I think that it would be nice to have virtual or fixed buttons for "Back", "Favorites" and the hand motion menu bar. With these buttons you could display them or eliminate them with the same button. Also, sometimes I get the haptic feedback and other times I don't but the input still works. Why?

codeman71
02-19-13, 07:47 AM
Oh...it's something that needs to be turned on in settings?

I will look for it and report back. I don't remember seeing it, initially, and I do know that some aspects of CUE is quite different in each vehicle.

Yep, when listening to the radio and in the audio application, tap the Menu button in the lower right corner of the screen. Then you can tap the Timeshift item to toggle it on. It'll then start buffering just like you were using in your 2010 SRX. Also, similar to the function in the CTS, when listening to XM or to HD Radio, if you tap the skip back or skip forward, it'll skip to the beginning of the song, or if it's regular FM or AM radio, it'll skip in 30 sec increments.

NJRonbo
02-19-13, 08:25 AM
Codeman,

That's great to hear that such an important feature has been included with CUE.

Thank You.

inspectorudy
02-20-13, 12:09 AM
Can this be the future of CUE?
http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=39089
I hope it's not voice activated or else it may go on vacation without you.

codeman71
02-20-13, 05:07 PM
When on a trip be nice to see just the rest areas on your ROUTE instead of all in the area.

That one's already in the system. When you are in the POIs menu, just tap the Search Near button near the top right corner of the screen and then select Along Route and it'll filter it down to only locations that are along the route.

Johnfran
02-21-13, 03:53 PM
Thanks codeman71. Found the command it works good.

inspectorudy
02-23-13, 03:18 PM
Some times you feel like the hydrant and some times you feel like the dog. Today, hydrant day, sitting in my drive way after a short trip to the store I decided to try and get the favorites bar to appear on the nav page. The menu would pop up as my hand approached and then I would attempt to slide the small arrow head upwards. It NEVER worked one single time. I tried above the menu bar on the screen and the screen or map moved up. I tried on the gap between destination and menu about twenty times and all I ever got was one of those two items even though I was not that close to either. There has to be something wrong with my screen. I did get the favorites bar with the favorites button and then if I put my finger exactly on the down arrow head I could get it to go down. Never up. Codeman, is this something that could be specific to my car alone? Do any others have this problem? I guess I'll wait for the recall on the CUE to get it looked at but as it is now it is unusable. How about putting the favorites button on the popup menu?

JWLaRue
02-23-13, 08:56 PM
I have the same issue with the favorites bar. I can usually get it to show up relatively easily, but getting it to go away is a *frustrating* experience. Easily the worse human-computer interface design I have ever seen.

Let's hope the CUE update has a more obvious and more easily activated means of using this.

-Jeff

ewired
02-23-13, 10:43 PM
I feel the same way about the favorites bar. It goes up pretty easy but getting it to leave the screen takes your guided attention. To be clear when I swipe it up its no problem. When I swipe it down to a single bar it's no problem. To get it get completely off the screen that's the problem. Example, if I'm on pandora and I don't want to see the favorites when I try to remove it, the channel will usually switch to the preset before I can get it to get off. And while we're on the subject of of favorites, why can't we have a favorite +\- button to go thru the presets from the screen? My wife loves to channel surf and using the favorites from the passenger side is getting old already.

inspectorudy
02-24-13, 01:44 AM
To me the favorites bar is like the Home button in that when you want it you want with no effort like the original favorites bar in the old radios of the past. They were always there and it took no thought to punch the button of your choice. CUE is like a video game that you have to play to get to the favorites bar. This is the exact opposite of the intent of the original favorites bar buttons. It was to be a mindless effort to get the desired station/access that you desired without having to make an effort to get it. I love technology that make life simpler but to make something that was designed to make things simpler more complicated is not innovation. How about a permanent favorites button on the haptic bar menu and a back button on every screen. Today my wife from the passenger's seat tried to enter a new destination and her hand caused a screen pop up on the nav screen but to get rid of it we had to use EXIT and then start all over again. If there was a back button like every computer in the world then we could have pressed it and kept going on the original screen. I'm sorry but this system does not seem to mimic the computers that we use every day of our lives. I figure that when you introduce something to the public you need to look at their daily lives and offer something that mimics what they do normally. This system neither mimics their daily lives nor offers a short cut to the same functions. What do we use everyday? A mouse, a BACK button, an ENTER button and a cut/copy/paste button. Why did they leave these out? Where is the innovation in this design? I am trying to work with it but I didn't buy a car to go to school on to be able to select my favorite radio station with three or four presses of a virtual button that may work or not and that is a step backwards in progress. I traded my 2011 SRX in for this car because of the engine and the CUE system. The engine is fine but the CUE system is so under developed that I am considering other options if the new "Update" doesn't correct some of my problems. I know some of you consider anyone who questions this system as an old fogie or a technofobe but I am neither. I have flown the nations finest jet fighters and the best airliners and they would have never allowed anything this unreliable in the cockpit of either genre. This system is like a child's game that was not developed to the point of being ready for production. It's like a collection of ideas from some real smart people but it seems like they forgot what their mission was. That mission was to create a system to HELP the driver focus more time on the job of driving and less time on the infotainment system. This system requires more eye time than watching a video movie while driving which is illegal. Today while driving my wife wanted to delete some earlier destinations from our system. She got out the manual and looked up delete destinations in the CUE manual and guess what it wasn't in there. She finally found it by going through the many menus and trial and error. Some on this forum have their biggest issue with their music playlist which I can appreciate but that is a bonus of the system not it's primary function. I cannot even get the screen to work when I crank up the car to go until I back out and put it into drive. It has no user friendly functions until you are ready to drive and then it is too late. Think about it, you have to wait on your car to get ready for you to tell it what to do so that you can make a phone call, select a destination or play music. Any desire that you have must wait on the car to be ready not you. My screen is so unreliable until I back out of my garage that it is unusable. As you all know if the back up camera is on NOTHING works. Usually most of us like to set up our car BEFORE we start out on our trip. I cannot do this with this system. Maybe it is my car that has a problem and if it is I apologize for beating up on the CUE system. My wife and I are approaching the point that we are no longer amused at this system. It is so time and focus consuming that it will lead us to an unpleasant place. Codeman please tell me that I am wrong and that it is my car that is the problem.

kevinr
02-24-13, 03:10 AM
I agree with quite a lot of what inspectorudy wrote -- but in spite of its flaws, I'm impressed the CUE team was able to try to make a product that was apart from all of the others. But I think that the pursuit of flashy UI features has stood in the way of genuine usability. I think the difficulties with favorites hide/reveal interaction supports that POV

For me, though, the good news is that at the end of the day, it's all software. It can be fixed if the organization allows it to be. I just hope the fixes are substantial, and not just technical. I think many components of the interaction design need to be reconsidered in the context of the limited attention one can devote while driving a car.

Touch screens, in my opinion, are not optimum for a car. You have to look at the screen for too long to guide your finger all the way to the control widget (as opposed to a knob, where you get your hand close and can do the rest by feel), and then you have to deal with the car as unstable platform for fine motor control. Anyone who has tried to write in a moving vehicle knows what I mean.

I think an in-car touchscreen can be made usable -- however one must design the screen with simple interactions and largish buttons -- among other things. Does that look 'sexy'? Probably not. But save the sexy for the functions, not the UI. Case in point: I love the favorites bar, even though the hide/reveal and scrolling through blank buttons drives me crazy -- the *function* of storing almost anything there is awesome.

The CUE team can succeed; look at how well the home screen works and how good it looks.

It's also worth noting that some of the issues I'm griping about are exacerbated by latent system responses to user interactions -- which (in my case) is in part because the car seems to be perpetually indexing. It's conceivable that more CPU cycles devoted to UI responsiveness might be sufficient to make a difference.

wsufans
03-03-13, 12:06 PM
The cue system is bound to have some teething problems. I never expected it to be perfect out of the box. But for a first effort it is pretty good. The good thing is that it is software and that it can be updated.

Some of my wishes.

-Access to apps on the phone or ??? so I could dictate a list of items for the grocery store or?
-A button on main screen for a display of all auto info such as all trip computer values, temps, voltage, amps, oil pressure, RPM, fuel economy, oil life et al
- vehicle service history records. I would like a function that I could keep track of fuel purchases, it would record odometer, date, time, fuel economy, I would enter gallons and price paid, maybe a comment or two. Maybe GPS coordinates, Then at a later date post it to USB stick for other record keeping purposes.
- a function to capture system data snapshots. The use case my SRX wouldn't start the other day (mass air flow sensor and high altitude) but I could take a snap shot while it cranked and didn't start but also overlay voice notes about observations of the event to help the service folks sort it out. But then again it would be cool if the system could sense that things are not going right like the engine is cranking too long and automatically take a snapshot of system parameters for service tech analysis. Maybe even send the snapshot directly to the service techs at your preferred dealer.
- when you save system settings to USB put it in a human readable format so one could compare the selections to the menu structure to confirm settings. It now saves in XML which is OK but.
- I have saved my settings to USB but would like to know how to reload them
- view trip meter in lower corner of main screen and allow a quicker reset. Could be trip B.
- instead of toggling thru media devices allow direct selection from a list or ?????
- When searching stations or song let up/down buttons on wheel scroll
- show compass arrow on corner of nav screen. The nav system in our 2003 Murano had this and we found it quite useful particularly with the heading up mode
- the beep or buzz seat setting appear to be global, allow different assignments for different functions. My example the parking proximity sensors seat buzz OK but i would like beeps indicating proximity like on the DIC but depending upon the wheel angle you can't see that display and really shouldn't be watching it. In general I like the seat buzz as it isn't as obtrusive to passengers et al than all the beeping that could be going on.
- allow selection of different beep tones for different warnings or functions

A few Problems.

- after update our iPhone4 won't pair to via blue tooth. The phone will connect to other bluetooth devices the service managers iPhone paired just fine. Our Android paired just fine as well. This one isn't consistent enough yet to sort out.
- some times the nav screen would end up with north down while heading north, toggle around on the nav icon and you would get it right again
- with passenger in seat or heavy bag on seat the audible seat belt warning activities but no lighted icon so it is hard to sort out why it is beeping.

Bertha D Blues
03-07-13, 08:42 AM
How does one save settings to USB? I read my manual cover to cover and must have missed that. Thanks. Bert

bungee91
03-07-13, 10:23 AM
How does one save settings to USB? I read my manual cover to cover and must have missed that. Thanks. Bert

I believe it is under settings, software information near the bottom it has that option.

Bertha D Blues
03-07-13, 02:30 PM
I believe it is under settings, software information near the bottom it has that option.
I checked the settings but there was no save-option in my software information menu. I'll keep looking. Bert

bungee91
03-07-13, 04:38 PM
I checked the settings but there was no save-option in my software information menu. I'll keep looking. Bert

As far as I noticed it is only in the new version of Cue and not the old one, so if you haven't taken the update yet you won't have the option.

marktanner
03-10-13, 12:20 AM
There are a few things I miss about my old Nav system from my CTS-V that are missing on CUE. First, my old system always told what street you were on at the bottom of the screen, and if you touched it, it would show the cross streets too. That was incredibly useful, and I really miss it, especially if I'm not on a route. Next, I actually miss the turn Gong. I don't miss the gong when passing exits that weren't supposed to be taken, but the gong at the turn helped a lot, especially if it was a complex intersection, or while talking to a passenger. My old system displayed time to destination and distance at the same time. Having to scroll through them seems needlessly complicated. I would at least like the option of displaying them all in a single window.

My old system had a very easy to use address book. The current one is difficult to enter data into, and then use. I don't necessarily have addresses in all of my contacts in my phone, and I would like better access to addresses in my car.

My old system had an icon that told of traffic conditions either nearby if not on a route, or if there were issues on a route. One button press and they were listed on the screen. If on a route, one press and you could see traffic not on the route. The current CUE requires too much work and attention to get detailed traffic information. I would like to see a traffic button on the Nav screen, and also a traffic icon on the home screen.

My old system would give you a choice of route if the car was stationary when inputting the destination, and show you the different choices on a map. I would like these options on CUE, and add the ECO choice, too. Plus, I would like to see the actual data used to select the choices, such as estimated time, distance, and fuel to be used for each route. The system has to know these things, so why not let us make more informed choices.

I also miss the XM categories listings on the radio.

Other wishes include keeping the clock and temp visible on all screens, as it often disappears during the split screen function. Also, return full capability to the system during split screen functions. Currently, one cannot change climate control during the split screen, which is annoying. Better yet, get climate control out of CUE altogether. The climate controls on the non CUE cars are simpler and superior, IMO, and it would eliminate having two different panels to stock and service.

I don't want to imply that CUE sucks, because it doesn't. These are just a bunch of things that I either miss from my old system, or were better implemented, IMO. I look forward to further updates, and some apps, too. I appreciate the fact that as the system is improved, we all get the updates, and that eventually, even CR might approve.

danscrim
03-10-13, 08:54 PM

Categories are available on CUE. Click on the browse button and click the 'Cat' in the upper left of the channel list.

codeman71
04-08-13, 03:22 PM
There are a few things I miss about my old Nav system from my CTS-V that are missing on CUE. First, my old system always told what street you were on at the bottom of the screen, and if you touched it, it would show the cross streets too. That was incredibly useful, and I really miss it, especially if I'm not on a route. Next, I actually miss the turn Gong. I don't miss the gong when passing exits that weren't supposed to be taken, but the gong at the turn helped a lot, especially if it was a complex intersection, or while talking to a passenger. My old system displayed time to destination and distance at the same time. Having to scroll through them seems needlessly complicated. I would at least like the option of displaying them all in a single window.

My old system had a very easy to use address book. The current one is difficult to enter data into, and then use. I don't necessarily have addresses in all of my contacts in my phone, and I would like better access to addresses in my car.

My old system had an icon that told of traffic conditions either nearby if not on a route, or if there were issues on a route. One button press and they were listed on the screen. If on a route, one press and you could see traffic not on the route. The current CUE requires too much work and attention to get detailed traffic information. I would like to see a traffic button on the Nav screen, and also a traffic icon on the home screen.

My old system would give you a choice of route if the car was stationary when inputting the destination, and show you the different choices on a map. I would like these options on CUE, and add the ECO choice, too. Plus, I would like to see the actual data used to select the choices, such as estimated time, distance, and fuel to be used for each route. The system has to know these things, so why not let us make more informed choices.

Other wishes include keeping the clock and temp visible on all screens, as it often disappears during the split screen function. Also, return full capability to the system during split screen functions. Currently, one cannot change climate control during the split screen, which is annoying. Better yet, get climate control out of CUE altogether. The climate controls on the non CUE cars are simpler and superior, IMO, and it would eliminate having two different panels to stock and service.

I don't want to imply that CUE sucks, because it doesn't. These are just a bunch of things that I either miss from my old system, or were better implemented, IMO. I look forward to further updates, and some apps, too. I appreciate the fact that as the system is improved, we all get the updates, and that eventually, even CR might approve.

I appreciate all the feedback about the features that you miss from the previous CTS navigation system. That system definitely was very powerful and is my favorite of our previous nav systems we've built before.

Just a few comments based on what you are missing.

For the current street, you can still access this information, just tap on the ATS vehicle on the map and a little window will show up to the right of the car showing your current street, city, and state. Then at that point you can tap the car again to hide this information, or if you'd like to mark your current location, you can tap this window and then tap the Save button to add it to your address book.

For traffic, we're working to make this a little bit easier to access by not having to scroll the Menu list down to access the Traffic menu.

For the multi-route option, we found that a majority of our casual users were confused by this screen and did not like having to complete another step, so this new flow is an attempt to try to simplify the navigation system a bit.

You should still be able to make adjustments to your climate control when in the split screens in the system. What exactly are you looking for that is not functioning?

As danscrim mentioned, you can access your XM categories by pressing the Cat button in the top left corner of the XM station list that comes up when you tap the Browse button in the center of the audio screen. In addition, you can press the View button to toggle between the Channel Name, Artist Name, and Song Name for what is currently being played on any station. That one little-known feature that I think is pretty powerful when trying to find what to listen to, or even to keep up on the sports scores of various games when you're up in the sports channels.

FormerBenz
04-09-13, 09:45 AM
Codeman71 - First, I think is incredible that Cadillac is leveraging social media in a way that is truly useful - funneling voice-of-the-customer feedback directly to engineering. And providing actual interaction with R&D engineers, such as yourself is an amazing reason to own a Cadillac. Many companies build their products in "silos" with little to no direct customer input. Please make sure your management knows how much value Cadillac's customer base places on the customer-outreach.

With that said, a couple of items for your cosideration...

1. Tune Select. Great feature. I also have this feature in a Ford vehicle with Sync. However, with Sync, you get an alert that a song is on a station in advance of it actually playing. This is good because when you tune to the station, you hear the song in entirety. With CUE, when you tune to the station the song is already well underway. I would imagine this has something to do with buffering and reacting to data that the sat radio is receiving in advance of actual programming material. Would this be a difficult fix?

2. Audio fine tuning. Great sound system in my XTS Platinum. How hard would it it be to increase the flexibility of audio adjustment. Years ago, GM had cars with graphic equalizers. How hard would it be to add another couple of bands of frequency adjustment? I have a Range Rover which provides separate control for the subwoofer. I just think that at times the audio could benefit from some fine adjustments that are sometimes too broad with the 3 frequency bands that are adjustable. I know there are bigger issues to attack, but just wondering on how difficult this would be.

3. HVAC: So, when remote starting the car, if CUE is set to pre-heat the seats, the seat heater indicator lights up for the back seats but not the front seats. My temperature gun tells me that the seats are on, but no indicator light fr the front seats, only the rear. how hard would it be to write some code that illuminates the front heated seat indicators? I would imagine a little bit of copy and paste from whatever makes the rear controls illuminate might do the trick :) BTW, same holds true for the front cooled seats -- they go on with remote start, but no indicator.

Again, many thanks to you and your team for listening to their customers!!!!

mechevar
04-09-13, 03:48 PM
As a firsttime cadillac buyer, I am very pleased with the CUE so far. Not so much a change for the system, but I would like to see to an application that simply carries voice commands to the phone. That way users can leverage all of the voice commands available on their device.

RippyPartsDept
04-09-13, 05:03 PM
if you have an iPhone you can use siri... just have to engage the conversation on the phone as you normally would (hold down the home button)

eventually GM will add the "eyes free" feature where you can engage siri from the steering wheel

CDN XTS
04-09-13, 07:58 PM
- when you save system settings to USB put it in a human readable format so one could compare the selections to the menu structure to confirm settings. It now saves in XML which is OK but.
WOW so it does work. as per my 03-20-13 post and following posts under http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-user-experience-cue/279518-cue-update-status-13.html#post3265071 I was unable to get it working. Received finally a call from GM late last week while I was out, but have not been able to get to that person, only the answering machine. I'll keep on trying. So anyway if you read those posts, what did I do wrong and how did you get it working? While as you state it is in XML format, it will be readable and better than nothing.

codeman71
04-10-13, 11:04 AM
Codeman71 - First, I think is incredible that Cadillac is leveraging social media in a way that is truly useful - funneling voice-of-the-customer feedback directly to engineering. And providing actual interaction with R&D engineers, such as yourself is an amazing reason to own a Cadillac. Many companies build their products in "silos" with little to no direct customer input. Please make sure your management knows how much value Cadillac's customer base places on the customer-outreach.

Thank you FormerBenz, and I really like your screen name, hopefully there are more of you :). We wanted to take a totally different approach with CUE and wanted to make sure it was customer driven, rather than technology or wishlist driven. We conducted several rounds of user research before we started designing a thing to make sure we understood our customers and how they were using their vehicles and what was important to them.

1. Tune Select. Great feature. I also have this feature in a Ford vehicle with Sync. However, with Sync, you get an alert that a song is on a station in advance of it actually playing. This is good because when you tune to the station, you hear the song in entirety. With CUE, when you tune to the station the song is already well underway. I would imagine this has something to do with buffering and reacting to data that the sat radio is receiving in advance of actual programming material. Would this be a difficult fix?

I think this difference has to come down to a difference in the way Sirius receivers work versus XM receivers work. We don't receive any preview information from XM about what is going to be playing on a channel before it begins playing, whereas it sounds like Sirius radios are giving a slight preview. So, our system is always scanning through the channels and when it finds a match, that's when you get the alert. That's why sometimes it jumps into a song that has already started.

2. Audio fine tuning. Great sound system in my XTS Platinum. How hard would it it be to increase the flexibility of audio adjustment. Years ago, GM had cars with graphic equalizers. How hard would it be to add another couple of bands of frequency adjustment? I have a Range Rover which provides separate control for the subwoofer. I just think that at times the audio could benefit from some fine adjustments that are sometimes too broad with the 3 frequency bands that are adjustable. I know there are bigger issues to attack, but just wondering on how difficult this would be.

I'm not certain how big of a tear up this would be, but I know it would impact several parts in the vehicle which would make it quite a complex change at this point.

3. HVAC: So, when remote starting the car, if CUE is set to pre-heat the seats, the seat heater indicator lights up for the back seats but not the front seats. My temperature gun tells me that the seats are on, but no indicator light fr the front seats, only the rear. how hard would it be to write some code that illuminates the front heated seat indicators? I would imagine a little bit of copy and paste from whatever makes the rear controls illuminate might do the trick :) BTW, same holds true for the front cooled seats -- they go on with remote start, but no indicator.

The display of the heated seat status is controlled by the climate control module and isn't a part of the CUE system so I'm not certain as to why it doesn't indicate the status on the front seats. This has been on my list of things to check with that team when I get a chance as I have seen it come up over and over.

FormerBenz
04-10-13, 03:14 PM
Thank you FormerBenz, and I really like your screen name, hopefully there are more of you :).

You're very welcome and thanks for the detailed response. Really nice to know where things stand internal to GM - very helpful that Cadilllac is this conencted to their customers.

Regarding my former rides... I've been driving nothing but Benz product since 1995. Great cars up until about 2000, then they lost their edge, particularly around electronics. My 07 S550 was an electronics nightmare. Terrible UI (wheels and clicks versus touch), not intuitive at all and lacked competitive features, all for significantly more cost. While the XTS is not an S550 in terms of ride quality, as far as UI and electronics, it is light-years ahead of any current Benz product. Of course, given the electronic suspension issues on the S, maybe I shouldn't say that :) Imagine purchasing a $100K+ vehicle and not getting touch screen or many of the features that are standard on an XTS.

And my perception is that MB does NOT want to hear from, nor react to what their customers want. CUE is what swayed me to the Cadillac camp and have been pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoy the vehicle as a whole.

You've nailed it with CUE, but it will be VERY important to continually update and refine the system - don't let it stagnate. I sure would like to get that SMS icon that I saw on the ELR video on cadillac.com!!!The recent update was apparently hugh, but nothing too visible other than the changed climate control icon. Of course I'm sure there were tons of bug/fixes addressed.

Suggestion: Let your customers know what the updates consist of on a more granular level. At least put the information out there. Although many won't read it, many will. And, use the updates/fixes as a marketing tool -- think Apple :cool:

Thanks again for your interaction with your customers!

CDN XTS
04-10-13, 05:23 PM
WOW so it does work. as per my 03-20-13 post and following posts under http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-user-experience-cue/279518-cue-update-status-13.html#post3265071 I was unable to get it working. Received finally a call from GM late last week while I was out, but have not been able to get to that person, only the answering machine. I'll keep on trying. So anyway if you read those posts, what did I do wrong and how did you get it working? While as you state it is in XML format, it will be readable and better than nothing. To all interested in this new feature (downloading CUE data to a USB stick), you would like to read my 04-10-13 -4:18PM post under http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-user-experience-cue/279518-cue-update-status-13.html#post3265071 and perhaps WSUFANS could you outline the type of info you did download - XML is not the best but's readable and you can tell what type of data you did download to your USB stick. Thanks.

----------

Suggestion: Let your customers know what the updates consist of on a more granular level. At least put the information out there. Although many won't read it, many will. And, use the updates/fixes as a marketing tool -- think Apple :cool:

Thanks again for your interaction with your customers! Agree. Might I also suggest an updated CUE manual in line with the latest CUE update and incorporating some additional details based on questions by users and answers by others including GM personnel could be posted on line and would certainly of better use for new customers when receiving cars being produced now. The somewhat poor documentation has been an often voiced issue by me. Educating customers one by one on this forum about CUE's features, while appreciated, is not the most productive way. And yes the interaction by GM personnel on this forum is great and very, very much appreciated and certainly would help GM to improve its products but should also be hint/tool to improve documentation. And yes I agree also that many will not read the manual anyway and quite a number of questions would not be asked it the manual had been reviewed and understood. It's difficult to keep calm when as a customer one has to explain the functions of the car to the person who one is asking for help and noting that they clearly have way to little knowledge. I agree, it's difficult if those employees do not themselves drive such a car, but it looks like they don't have sufficient information available to them either (may be it's just the Canadian arm we must use as the US side is not allowed to help us yet the English version of the manuals are generic for CDN and US users). A case in point, it took over 2 weeks after asking for information on the new line for CUE downloads to USB sticks (which I was unable to use) to get an answer. It took a long time to explain what I was talking about and a call back to me for further clarification. Then 2 weeks to get this answer: It's only for European customers to download data for Tax purposes. Not to be used by Canadian Users. See my above reply for more info on that. Enough rambling.

Sir CussFreq
04-11-13, 11:53 PM
Which settings menu is the Auto-heated seats option under? Vehicle > Comfort and Convenience?

I can't seem to find this setting since the update. Didn't realize it was missing before today... My audio prompts keep reverting to long on their own as well. Been acting a bit quirky lately...

bungee91
04-12-13, 08:23 AM
My audio prompts keep reverting to long on their own as well.
Same here.

strongewok
04-15-13, 07:37 PM
Since the update my shuffle has been working strangley. I can't seem to suffle an artist or album, it continually goes to the entire music collection on my ipod classic.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

AtlantaGuy00
04-19-13, 11:01 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if we could could change the voice to be that of Majel Barrett? :)

Sir CussFreq
04-21-13, 02:29 PM
Which settings menu is the Auto-heated seats option under? Vehicle > Comfort and Convenience?

Can anyone please confirm if this is correct? I haven't had the chance to get back to the dealer, hopefully will sometime this week. I'm curious what else I'm missing...