: Automatic light adjustment for xenon on STS

jakhar710
11-15-12, 05:34 AM
Hi y'all
I just brought back my Caddi from Georgia to Sweden it's a 2008 STS-V.
Now the authority demands automatic headlight adjustment on my xenon lights.
Is there any STS with automatic adjustments? European models??? Does it exist a kit make them automatic adjustable?
I am thankful for all answers.

/Jakob

ddalder
11-15-12, 08:11 AM
Please be more specific about what the definition of automatic headlight adjustment is. Can you post exactly what the requirement is in Sweden? Do you have any General Motors dealers or service centers there that you can consult?

jakhar710
11-15-12, 09:00 AM
Hi again
They say it should an automatic adjustment Vertically so if you have a heavy load in the car it should adjust to normal level and not point into the sky.

1BadCadSTS
11-15-12, 09:56 AM
I know the feature was available for export models. Wether yours is equipped with it depends on your build sheet.

jakhar710
11-15-12, 10:06 AM
Hello
No, mine is not equipped with this. So I need a rebuild kit.

BaTu
11-15-12, 10:43 AM
I thought the definition was satisfied by the self-leveling airshocks. If your car doesn't have that, I wouldn't think it would be such a difficult thing to add...

Shocks, compressor, and the height sensor.

targetSTS
11-15-12, 11:39 AM
all euro STS with hids have headlights with autoleveling.
none of US versions have it. Maybe the best way to find it at used junk yards in europe

Ludacrisvp
11-15-12, 02:57 PM
Exterior Lighting Systems Description and Operation

Automatic Headlamp Leveling - European Only

The Automatic Headlamp Leveling systems consist of the following components:

Headlamp leveling module
Headlamp leveling actuator - left
Headlamp leveling actuator - right
Suspension position sensor - LF
Suspension position sensor - LR

The automatic headlamp leveling system automatically maintains the vertical alignment of the headlamps when the vehicle load and driving conditions change.
The headlamp leveling module receives inputs from the front and rear suspension position sensors to determine vehicle pitch.
The suspension position sensors send an output to the headlamp leveling module as the vehicle suspension compresses and rebounds.
The headlamp leveling module calculates the difference in vehicle pitch and sends a command to the headlamp leveling actuators.
The headlamp leveling actuators drive the headlamps to the position commanded by the headlamp leveling module.
The headlamp leveling system also monitors the performance of the high intensity discharge (HID) bulb and ballast.
When the headlamp switch is placed in the ON position the headlamps will go down, and then back up to the center position.

Service and Repair

Headlamp Leveling Module Replacement

Important: The headlamp leveling module is not serviced separately from the headlamp assembly.
If the headlamp leveling module needs to be replaced, the complete headlamp assembly will need to be replaced.

Circuit/System Description

The headlamp leveling module receives inputs from the front and rear suspension position sensors to determine vehicle pitch.
The suspension position sensors send an output to the headlamp leveling module as the vehicle suspension compresses and rebounds.
The headlamp leveling module calculates the difference in vehicle pitch and sends a command to the headlamp leveling actuators.
The headlamp leveling actuators drive the headlamps to the position commanded by the headlamp leveling module.
The headlamp leveling module monitors the headlamp leveling actuator motor control circuits for proper circuit continuity and for shorts to ground or voltage.
If a malfunction is detected, a DTC will be stored in memory.

Diagnostic Aids

Important: When one of the suspension position sensor voltage reference or sensor signal circuits are shorted to ground, it may not be possible to determine which suspension position sensor voltage reference or sensor signal circuits, front or rear, has failed.
If this condition occurs, all suspension position sensor voltage reference and sensor signal circuits will have to be tested for a short to ground.

Circuit/System Verification

Ignition ON, with a scan tool perform the headlamp motor test and observe the headlamps. Both headlamps should move UP and DOWN as the test is performed.

If both head lamps do not move UP and DOWN when commanded, refer to Headlamp Leveling Actuator Malfunction.

If both head lamps move UP and DOWN when commanded, refer to Suspension Position Sensor Malfunction.

Circuit/System Testing

Headlamp Leveling Actuator Malfunction
Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the headlamp leveling module.
Ignition OFF, scan tool OFF, exterior lamps OFF, test for less than 5.0 ohms of resistance between the ground circuit terminal 24 and ground.
If greater than the specified range, test the ground circuit for an open/high resistance.
Ignition ON, test for B+ between the voltage circuit terminal 12 and ground.
If less than the specified range, test the voltage circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance.
Ignition OFF, reconnect the headlamp leveling control module harness connector.
Disconnect the harness connector at the inoperative headlamp leveling actuator.
Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp illuminates between the low reference circuit terminal 2 and B+.
If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the low reference circuit for a short to voltage or and open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
Ignition OFF, connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal 1 and the low reference circuit terminal 2.
Ignition ON, headlamps ON, perform the headlamp motor test with a scan tool. The test lamp should turn ON then OFF as the motor test is performed.
If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit terminal 1 for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit terminal 1 for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
Ignition OFF, connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal 3 and the low reference circuit terminal 2.
Ignition ON, headlamps ON, perform the headlamp motor test with a scan tool. The test lamp should turn ON then OFF as the motor test is performed.
If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit terminal 3 for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit terminal 3 for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
Ignition OFF, connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal 4 and the low reference circuit terminal 2.
If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit terminal 4 for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit terminal 4 for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
Ignition OFF, connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal 6 and the low reference circuit terminal 2.
If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit terminal 6 for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit terminal 6 for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
If all circuits test normal, replace the inoperative headlamp leveling actuator.
Suspension Position Sensor Malfunction - Front
Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the LF suspension position sensor.
Ignition OFF, verify that a test lamp illuminates between B+ and the low reference circuit terminal C.
If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance.
Ignition ON, test for 4.8-5.2 volts between the 5-volt reference circuit terminal A and ground.
If less than the specified range, test the 5-volt reference circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
If greater than the specified range, test the 5-volt reference circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
Verify the scan tool front leveling position sensor parameter is less than 0.5 volts.
If greater than the specified range, test the signal circuit terminal B for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
Install a 3A fused jumper wire between the signal circuit terminal B and the 5-volt reference circuit terminal A. Verify the scan tool front leveling position sensor parameter is greater than 4.49 volts.
If less than the specified range, test the signal circuit for short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
If all circuits test normal, test or replace the LF suspension position sensor.
Suspension Position Sensor Malfunction - Rear
Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the LR suspension position sensor.
Ignition OFF, verify that a test lamp illuminates between B+ and the low reference circuit terminal C.
If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance.
Ignition ON, test for 4.8-5.2 volts between the 5-volt reference circuit terminal A and ground.
If less than the specified range, test the 5-volt reference circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
If greater than the specified range, test the 5-volt reference circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
Verify the scan tool rear leveling position sensor parameter is less than 0.5 volts.
If greater than the specified range, test the signal circuit terminal B for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
Install a 3A fused jumper wire between the signal circuit terminal B and the 5-volt reference circuit terminal A. Verify the scan tool rear leveling position sensor parameter is greater than 4.49 volts.
If less than the specified range, test the signal circuit for short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the headlamp leveling module.
If all circuits test normal, test or replace the LR suspension position sensor.

Leveling actuator left
http://i.imgur.com/JY3zz.gif

right
http://i.imgur.com/2JKsN.gif

Place on headlamp (2) (4)
http://i.imgur.com/BhGhV.gif

Leveling module connector
http://i.imgur.com/wj1wU.gif

Pinout
http://i.imgur.com/KAEBd.gif

Module location (5)
http://i.imgur.com/6H9I4.gif

suspension sensor rear
http://i.imgur.com/rozMx.gif

front
http://i.imgur.com/utrDV.gif

diagnostic code guide malfuction
http://i.imgur.com/skIjm.gif

ddalder
11-15-12, 03:41 PM
I have been looking at adding this option myself for quite some time. Unfortunately, it is not a quick plug and play solution. Part of this depends on which suspension option you have. No matter how you look at it, this isn't going to be inexpensive.

Ludacrisvp
11-15-12, 04:03 PM
Supposedly there is a hella made product that is an aftermarket solution...
Not really sure if its legit, cannot seem to find much about it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyAxnRKT5FQ

Here is a site / blog? in German that talks about doing this:

http://wp1016621.wp027.webpack.hosteurope.de/fotost/f01516/f01516.htm

truckinman
11-15-12, 04:52 PM
I'm surprised it doesn't have auto leveling. My STS does not have the xenon at all, but every car I've ever had or driven with them, come standard with auto leveling. The two Lexus I had, my parents 06 Avalon Limited. I just figured that was part of having factory xenon lights :shrug:

KRSTS
11-15-12, 05:34 PM
Supposedly there is a hella made product that is an aftermarket solution...
Not really sure if its legit, cannot seem to find much about it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyAxnRKT5FQ

Here is a site / blog? in German that talks about doing this:

http://wp1016621.wp027.webpack.hosteurope.de/fotost/f01516/f01516.htm

This is not German, it is Russian

Ludacrisvp
11-15-12, 07:53 PM
This is not German, it is Russian
When i had the video on I had no sound on...
So the Video is in Russian, but the blog that I posted after the video is in German.

jakhar710
11-20-12, 12:57 PM
Thank you Ludacrisvp.
I don't know why I need it since the car have automatic rear suspension levelling and MagnaRide suspension. (this would do it)
This should take care of this.
But maybe it's one of those european jokes........

eatyoursandwich
11-20-12, 02:50 PM
Thank you Ludacrisvp.
I don't know why I need it since the car have automatic rear suspension levelling and MagnaRide suspension. (this would do it)
This should take care of this.
But maybe it's one of those european jokes........

If you don't mind me asking, what was the import tax Sweden charged you for importing an American car? I have a friend in Norway who imported a US-spec Lexus and the tax was near the value of the car ($40,000 or something).

ddalder
11-25-12, 04:33 PM
I thought the definition was satisfied by the self-leveling airshocks. If your car doesn't have that, I wouldn't think it would be such a difficult thing to add...

Shocks, compressor, and the height sensor.
The problem is that the load leveling in the North American STS is not a real-time solution. There can be a delay of up to 17 seconds before the rear compressor will adjust rear height.

With the auto-leveling headlamps, data from a front and rear sensor is fed directly to the leveling module (in the absence of magnetic ride control). With the F55 option, data is provided over the high speed GMLAN Bus. This system compensates not only for weight in the rear, but driving conditions.

For the OP, have you come up with an acceptable resolution to this yet?