: Any Macintosh Users Here? ?

chevyorange
12-20-04, 01:07 PM
Just wondering if there are any other Macintosh users in the forums. I figure we all love the top of the line cars, so some of us must like the top of the line OS.

I have a Dual 2GHz G5 with 2 Gigs (out of 8) of RAM and a 23" Apple HD Cinema Display. We also have a G4 iBook and AirPort Extreme wireless network in the house.

I'm mostly into music and photography but also play a few games (even though I'm not a big gamer) and some light video editing.

Speak up, Mac Heads!

Adam
??

Msilva954
12-20-04, 01:51 PM
Not at the moment....but we will be getting an iMac for our kitchen come summer next year....I love them but want to wait until the G5 becomes a lil more speedy for the iMac...say at least 2.0ghz......

I repaired an old G3 the other day and even at being 300Mhz it flew wayyyy past my PC laptop....

Ive learned a little about them but I love them...Macs are great.

chevyorange
12-20-04, 01:53 PM
Well, there is a 1.8 G5 in the iMacs as it stands :) 64 bit processors!

I hear rumors, though, that at MWSF there might be speed bumps for the iMacs.

danbuc
12-20-04, 01:54 PM
I used to have an old Aplle IIsi back in the day. That was when the internet was around 8 maybe 1 million pages and I had a 14.4kb modem attached to it. After that I had the original imac. Now I use PC's exclusively. Times change I guess.

lowscola
12-20-04, 02:35 PM
G4 Powerbook for work. Virtual PC with Windows 2000 & Fedora Core 2. .5 Gig with other 1.5 comming soon.

Playdrv4me
12-21-04, 03:16 AM
I wouldnt own one as my primary, but I DID just buy an ipod, best MP3 only player EVER. I must admit that even though I dont like to conform, I prefer PCs for every day work, and would own a G4 or G5 powerbook if I REALLY wanted a Mac. I also just picked up a T-Mobile (was a dyed in the wool Sprint guy) HP Ipaq H6315 tonight with the PocketPC 2003 OS and im just thrilled with it, it does everything Ive wanted a portable device to do, the WinCE stuff FINALLY got with the program. It was purely useless before, but with a phone attached its downright cool. The size is a downside, but it comes with a nice case so I think ill be ok.

Msilva954
12-21-04, 07:54 AM
I dont know about you guys but I just find the Mac OS X interface to be so much more relaxing then XP.....just everything from the desktop to actual work is much more pleasent on the Macs imo...

K2K
12-21-04, 09:02 AM
Just wondering if there are any other Macintosh users in the forums. I figure we all love the top of the line cars, so some of us must like the top of the line OS.

I have a Dual 2GHz G5 with 2 Gigs (out of 8) of RAM and a 23" Apple HD Cinema Display. We also have a G4 iBook and AirPort Extreme wireless network in the house.

I'm mostly into music and photography but also play a few games (even though I'm not a big gamer) and some light video editing.

Speak up, Mac Heads!

Adam
??

I have the same

evilrussian
12-21-04, 09:51 AM

Although I'm not a Mac fan, that must be a sweet setup you got overe there.
That monitor makes me drool.

sgilbert
12-21-04, 10:32 AM
I've been an Apple user since the days of the II.

Currently 3 in house. Mine is Powerbook Ti 1Gig-Dual boot. (others are Power Mac G4 dual 1.5's, and Powerbook G3 Pismo) All on line with Airport and/or ethernet to cable modem. (prefer ethernet as it is faster, but use wireless in bathroom, etc)

Really want new 17" powerbook, but the new ones only boot to X, and my preferred OS is 9. Say what you will about 9, but I can customize 9 many ways, and it works. Much more intuitive.

Vesicant
12-21-04, 10:34 AM
I dont know about you guys but I just find the Mac OS X interface to be so much more relaxing then XP.....just everything from the desktop to actual work is much more pleasent on the Macs imo...

:yeah:

Much more pleasin' to the eyes.

I had a couple macs once. A free Apple SE w/Superdrive (literally found completely operational in a roadside box). An LC III which I eventually just tore apart because it was useless :shhh: . Then, the last generation of the colored iMac family. G3 900mhz Superdrive OSX 40GB in "graphite". Lets just say it didnt get along with my advanced windows network and i returned it. :crying2:

Really like the iBook out now. Wish i had one.

Jonsey
12-21-04, 11:14 AM
Yes I have a Mac 1GB with a router for a second computer (Dell in back bedroom for Grandson) all going out on Comcast Cable. Both year old. I am of the older generation and these new contraptions have not caught on 2 me yet. Mentioning games I play them on "its your turn" anyway there are macs out here. Jonsey Mobile Al

chevyorange
12-21-04, 11:50 AM
Very cool to see the Mac love out here. I'm pretty expert on either platform but wouldn't spend a dime on any other machine.
A DIME!

Going from a G3 iMac DV SE to a 23" Cinema Display was almost embarassing when it got here the box was SO big I was afraid the neighbors were going to think I was rich or something.

http://www.apple.com/switch

daacon
12-21-04, 12:48 PM
I got a question for the Mac heads. I like to video editing and well with my PC it is better than it was , but still pretty much hit and miss.

I know the Macs are awsome at this particular chore - my question relates to memory. On my PC I have 1gb - most off the shelf Macs comes with 256 - I assume an upgrade is required ? How is the Mac on memory ?

evilrussian
12-21-04, 12:53 PM
http://www.apple.com/switch
:histeric: I don't see that happening anytime soon, or EVER? I'm more into tinkering with my machines. After becoming more and more dissapointed with Windoze I started exploring my options elsewhere, like *nix platforms for instance. Now I'm running FreeBSD :lildevil: for my gateway/NAT/Webserver and trying to get more proficient with Slackware as my primary machine, yea still changing back and forth with W2K...

chevyorange
12-21-04, 12:54 PM
Oh, man, treat yourself right and swtich. It is true - Macs come with miserably low amounts of RAM stock... most mail order places give you an extra 256 or 512 if you order through them.

Don't buy RAM from Apple, though, they charage a ton.

But you do have to use quality aftermarket RAM to keep the system working optimally, Corsair or Kingston.

In the end, in my experience, memory is as important to Mac OS as processor speed is to Wintel.

Adam

chevyorange
12-21-04, 12:58 PM
:histeric: I don't see that happening anytime soon, or EVER? I'm more into tinkering with my machines. After becoming more and more dissapointed with Windoze I started exploring my options elsewhere, like *nix platforms for instance. Now I'm running FreeBSD :lildevil: for my gateway/NAT/Webserver and trying to get more proficient with Slackware as my primary machine, yea still changing back and forth with W2K...

I'm sure you know that Mac OS is built on a BSD Unix Core!

I have a dual boot OS X/ YD Linux on my machine, although, to me it is a waste of time and next OS update I'll probably scratch the Linux side.

I like tinkering too - but it is nice to not have to when I wanna get something done.

Good luck -

Adam
http://homepage.mac.com/chevyorange

evilrussian
12-21-04, 01:12 PM
I know, it's just the pretty interface what puts me off and propriotary hardware which is so damn expensive. There is something that attracts me to the C/L and prehistoric machines that can still can get a lot done if properly set up. I never spend any money on computers or parts, everything gets donated to me from friends and relatives, who are suckers for NEW stuff.

chevyorange
12-21-04, 01:33 PM
I know, it's just the pretty interface what puts me off and propriotary hardware which is so damn expensive. There is something that attracts me to the C/L and prehistoric machines that can still can get a lot done if properly set up. I never spend any money on computers or parts, everything gets donated to me from friends and relatives, who are suckers for NEW stuff.

I didn't start the thread to argue about OSes! However, the proprietary parts on a Mac are limited - RAM, Hard drives, optical drives, processors can all be upgraded (on their pro lines) along with graphic cards. I know the logic board (motherboard in Applespeak) is the key thing that isn't upgradeable but it is really unnessary.

Finally, the wicked smooth interface. Windows is just a poor rip off of the Apple OS. I think if you had some time in front of a modern Mac, you'd probably understand why Apple keeps its user base. You may not switch, but you'd understand.

There was a time when I was running Mac OS, Win 2000, Win XP and Linux all on one machine. That is incredible!

And a waste of time and resources.

Good luck with your builds and such! :)

Adam

chevyorange
12-21-04, 01:38 PM
I've been an Apple user since the days of the II.

Currently 3 in house. Mine is Powerbook Ti 1Gig-Dual boot. (others are Power Mac G4 dual 1.5's, and Powerbook G3 Pismo) All on line with Airport and/or ethernet to cable modem. (prefer ethernet as it is faster, but use wireless in bathroom, etc)

Really want new 17" powerbook, but the new ones only boot to X, and my preferred OS is 9. Say what you will about 9, but I can customize 9 many ways, and it works. Much more intuitive.

sgilbert - I understand your love of OS 9.x. I ran it up until OS 10.1 came out... and while I don't even use classic anymore in 10, my wife has a few apps that run under it.

Perhaps the day will come when the "killer app" comes out for you and you'll make the jump. Feel free to email me any time with questions or if you are ready!

It takes about 5 minutes to figure out the changes from 9 to 10 and then you are off and running!

Adam

Msilva954
12-21-04, 02:05 PM
I myself would never "Switch"....but I have to agree that im not biased towards one particular system.

We have a scatter of G4's throught our Networking class and about 30 Dells.....I love working with the dells as much as the next windows lover but its a treat to work on the Macs....

I figure why switch....just have one or a couple of each...we have 2 pretty slow AMD computers now...a notebook and a desktop.....we plan in the year or so to get a NEW Windows Desktop, Windows Notebook, iMac 20", and down the line sometime a Powerbook...(when G5 comes out) {damn cooling}

Myself....id never run a new G5 on anything less then 1gig of RAM.....imo on the PowerMacs I cant figure out why at least 1gig does not come standard.....or for godsakes at least 512Kb....

All in all I wouldnt go as far as saying Macs are better then Windows based systems (i dont know either far enough to say this) though I know more than the average user, I would go as far as saying a Mac is a much better system for a normal every day computer user for Internet etc......much more pleasent to deal with like said above.

evilrussian
12-21-04, 02:42 PM
Hey, I gotta give Mac credit where is due. They are superior systems for media editing - gfx/audio/video... It's just not my thing, don't get me wrong.

chevyorange
12-21-04, 02:46 PM
I myself would never "Switch"....but I have to agree that im not biased towards one particular system.

We have a scatter of G4's throught our Networking class and about 30 Dells.....I love working with the dells as much as the next windows lover but its a treat to work on the Macs....

I figure why switch....just have one or a couple of each...we have 2 pretty slow AMD computers now...a notebook and a desktop.....we plan in the year or so to get a NEW Windows Desktop, Windows Notebook, iMac 20", and down the line sometime a Powerbook...(when G5 comes out) {damn cooling}

Myself....id never run a new G5 on anything less then 1gig of RAM.....imo on the PowerMacs I cant figure out why at least 1gig does not come standard.....or for godsakes at least 512Kb....

All in all I wouldnt go as far as saying Macs are better then Windows based systems (i dont know either far enough to say this) though I know more than the average user, I would go as far as saying a Mac is a much better system for a normal every day computer user for Internet etc......much more pleasent to deal with like said above.

As you can tell, I'm very biased! There are many reasons for my bias but most of them come down to plain old reliablity, power, and ease of use (as you can do anything on either platform). I like not having to give up processor power running anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc in the background or the risks you run if you choose to not do so. I like the power that Macs have without having to tweak or manage stuff (if you don't want to).

As for RAM, I am certain that Apple sells their Macs with less RAM than one desires to either support their own store to sell that RAM or support the Mac aftermarket! Yes, I pay a little more, but my Macs run 24/7 when asked to and my last Mac went 5 years before buying a new one (not because it was not working or to slow... just had to have a G5)! It also looks good while doing its job which is a bonus.

That's why I'll always run Apple.

Adam

chevyorange
12-21-04, 02:54 PM
Hey, I gotta give Mac credit where is due. They are superior systems for media editing - gfx/audio/video... It's just not my thing, don't get me wrong.

That is not their only strong points but it is an area where they are looked at seriously.

I know the Star Wars DVDs that came out were remastered on 500 Dual 2.5GHz G5s. Even then it took 30 seconds PER FRAME of movie to clean scratches and dust from the frame.

One PowerMac G5 would take 30 minutes, I belive is what I read in the story. That is some heavy duty stuff! I have the set and I have to say it looks like it was just shot this year. Kudos to the people that did the work.

Adam

RealmCenter
12-21-04, 06:22 PM
Caution! Not appropriate for children, however extremely funny.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=apple.wmv

chevyorange
12-21-04, 06:30 PM
Another jealous Wintel user! We can see this in their expert manipulation of Error messages, which are near non-existant on the Mac OS and in the use of Windows Media to create!

Funny, though. I won't post anti-MS stuff, as I wanted to keep this just a disucssion of those who use it... not to bash it or bash Microsoft. :)

sgilbert
12-21-04, 07:39 PM
That was fairly funny, RealmCenter, but I haven't had those crashes since Mac OS 7!

chevyorange, I DO use OSX, just not primarily. I prefer 9. Far easier to troubleshoot; tweak; customize; and "fool" into doing what normally can't be done.

Want to help? Can't figure out how to get MS Word documents to stop trying to open in the X version when I'm in 9. Have to drag them to Word to open, rather than double-click. (been thru File Exchange/PC Exchange thoroughly)

chevyorange
12-21-04, 07:45 PM
sgilbert,

Funny, I had the same problem except my Office X documents were opening in Classic!

I'm pretty sure if you click on the Word doc, and then Get Info, and do "open with" and browse to Office Mac ('98?), then choose apply to all - that would seem to work? (Might have to do this in 10).

Or have you tried that? It sounds like you know exactly what you are doing, sorry to think you were a noob! I thought you were ONLY running OS 9!

That is my first best guess on how to make it work the way you wanna. :)

Adam

sgilbert
12-21-04, 11:21 PM
"Noob" ??? Dweeb, Ol' codger, even MacAholic! But Noob?

Hey, I think you're on to something! I'll switch to X and give it a shot! However, I'll not be able to open the MS docs in X when I DO want to. Hummmm---I'll work on that. (Thing is, type & creator are the same for both. Damn MS!)

BTW: Office 2001 in 9; Office 2004 in X

If Appleworks were a bit more professional, I'd use it more. Just downloaded "StevePerfect 6" from MacUpdate.com. Haven't played with it yet, but it looks promissing. Doesn't say so, but it opens in 9. I'll play with it for a few days and make up my mind then.

chevyorange
12-22-04, 10:58 AM
"Noob" ??? Dweeb, Ol' codger, even MacAholic! But Noob?

Hey, I think you're on to something! I'll switch to X and give it a shot! However, I'll not be able to open the MS docs in X when I DO want to. Hummmm---I'll work on that. (Thing is, type & creator are the same for both. Damn MS!)

BTW: Office 2001 in 9; Office 2004 in X

If Appleworks were a bit more professional, I'd use it more. Just downloaded "StevePerfect 6" from MacUpdate.com. Haven't played with it yet, but it looks promissing. Doesn't say so, but it opens in 9. I'll play with it for a few days and make up my mind then.

OH! I meant OS X Noob - not a Mac noob!

I haven't got Office X 2004 yet, the original Office X works Ok for me. I also have Keynote, which in my book, is much better than PowerPoint as you can USE it!!

Sorry for the confusion,

Adam

sgilbert
12-22-04, 03:16 PM
Getting info in X and attempting to have all Word open in 9's version won't work--won't recognize it. I'll keep tryin' There's always a way to fool Macs---just gotta find it! Signed, Noob-NOT :D

jersey dude
12-22-04, 04:39 PM
You've seen my posts previously praising the brilliant Macs. As a designer I am enamored of the consistently elegant product that Apple produces. My G4 12'" PowerBook is the latest (July past) addition to my stable and aside from flawless interface and stunning 'less-is-more' presence it is nothing short of a pure joy to utilize on a daily basis. (Sadly, this week I left the power 'brick' up in 'Jersey-right by the kitchen door-and have not been able to recharge.) Stereotype I will, OFTEN individuals of a creative bent are not the most technically adept and I find the Mac OS to be far more intuitive than Windows. It just does what it should. There are known issues, (check the boards) but I have personally encountered none. And I am the first to question the rather obscene pricing of all products Apple.

It is a sexy machine to boot! I was on a recent job interview (fingers crossed) and while most of my portfolio was presented old school, I presented the remainder via PowerBook using Keynote (Apples answer to Power Point). I was not expecting that jaws would drop and others (not essential to the interview) would be called in as I repeated the presentation. So much impact out of basically a slide show assembled from scratch in less than half an hour the night prior-drop, drag, bam, DONE!

My other Mac is the dual G4 with the 22'' screen and why I have no problem with the efficient 12" screen of the PowerBook. If I need a really large screen-occasionally the case for gaming or video work-I plug the PowerBook into the Hitatchi 50V500 and all is good. Again, simple...just plug in and play...never a problem that I have encountered.

All of my music is now either on the Dual G4 or the PowerBook and I play it on the sound system through iTunes and Airport Express with awesome results (and impressing a date or two). Another brilliant interface. (Use Express to print to my printers as well...as wired-or unwired as one wishes to be). Setting up printers by the way? Plug in and print. I have become extremely spoiled by the ease of interface with these machines and am always amazed at the hoops and hurdles through which I must pass when on a Windows based machine. I don't understand peoples willingness to accept routine tasks being turned into the Byzantine.

Then the iPod-just a mini-but another workhorse that has changed my habits of daily life. Certainly the only choice for the gym but with iTrip I blast it in the Caddy as well. Not the best fidelity at that point by any means but does a more than adequate job and only hints at what is yet to come.

My mother is getting a new Dell for Christmas (keep it quiet-don't spoil the surprise!) and I dread the prospect of setting the thing up. (Why the Dell?-blame my brother and a light of content wallet). Wizzard this and wizard that, execute this, run that, C drive...all too much for my simple mind. I shall need a drink by the time I am done (and I don't drink). Little else puts me in so foul a humor. I could be wrong though...maybe this one will be different...

chevyorange
12-22-04, 04:49 PM
Jersey Dude - what a good and fair representation of Apple. The thing I run into most often is that people think Macs are for "dumb" users just because apparently "power users" must use PCs because they are more of a pain to operate. I can't help it that when I don't wanna mess with my machine, I just want it to work! I can break down and build up a pc in 30 minutes... but I'm done with 'em!

As far as the Dell, my mom bought a P4 Dell 1.5 years ago. Needless to say, for Christmas this year she is getting an eMac! No more phone calls or trip up to mom's house to be stuck "fixing" something with a driver or whatever.

I know how much fun you are in store for, that is, unless your mom is computer literate. My mom is afraid of computers! Not anymore!

Oh, and jaws drop when I boot WinXP up in a window on my machine, have Linux in another window, all open as if they are just mere applications running under OS X. But it is surprising for people who think they are in for a generic PowerPoint presentation and get wowed by the Quartz graphics and cool goodies that come with Keynote!

Adam

BR549
12-23-04, 05:05 AM
Wow, I'm happy and amazed to see that this discussion hasn't become a flamewar! :)

I've always been a PC user and I have two homebrew PCs at home running Windows XP. But about a year ago I bought a 15" PowerBook G4 out of curiosity. I'm not a total convert or a switch, but I can tell you that I'm really loving the Apple hardware quality and Mac OS X. It's a class act! I've been using the laptop for presentations for the past 4 months using the Apple's excellent Keynote slideshow program. The templates, fonts, and transitions are very classy without being distracting. I keep getting asked "how'd you make PowerPoint do that?" :) More recently I've been starting to use it for storing family pictures in iPhoto and editing home videos to DVD with iMovie and iDVD. I'm very happy with my little aluminum toy... I've even been using it to learn about Unix!

I haven't bought an iPod yet, but I might soon as I've heard there is a company that makes a car docking station for the iPod. It takes the place of a CD changer so you can change virtual "CD" (playlists) and "tracks" (individual songs) right from the car's stereo controls. Apple and BMW were advertising this awhile back, but now there's a generic adapter kit available that's supposed to work with most common CD changer interfaces.

So I guess I'm not the switch that Apple is hoping for... but I am a happy switch hitter! :)

chevyorange
12-23-04, 12:45 PM
I think Apple is more than pleased with you if you buy any one of their products.

I didn't start this to become a flamewar... those are all over the place! We're classy Cadillac drivers!

Jesda
12-23-04, 08:43 PM
Owned many Macs, including a PowerComputing clone. Being broke puts me in an Athlon 700 for now. Saw a 30" cinema display at the mall... oh man.

chevyorange
12-23-04, 10:12 PM
Yeah, the Apple Cinema Displays work with PCs, too, you need DVI connectors. They are amongst the tops in the industry!