: Taking my roadtest in December. Any tips?

MattHatlee
11-14-12, 07:38 AM
I am going to take my roadtest on December 18th. Any tips for passing. I already came up with the theory that if I take it in my cadillac the examiner would automatically pass me because she would be so thankful for getting the expierence to drive in a Cadillac. :bouncy: haha. But in all seriousness. Any advice?

truckinman
11-14-12, 08:29 AM
I am going to take my roadtest on December 18th. Any tips for passing. I already came up with the theory that if I take it in my cadillac the examiner would automatically pass me because she would be so thankful for getting the expierence to drive in a Cadillac. :bouncy: haha. But in all seriousness. Any advice?

Don't hit the cones. Hope you can parallel park. Come to FULL stop for at least 2 seconds at every stop sign. No rolling stops! Automatic failure when I took my test. No kiss assing. They don't care if you're in an 88 tercel or a brand new Bentley. Long as you show responsible driving traits, you are good. I passed mine with a 100% score. In a 1994 Chrysler LHS in 2001.

Submariner409
11-14-12, 08:59 AM
Memories - When I took my test in December of '55 you could not use the new "turn signals" - you did the old left arm out the window signal drill. Had to parallel park twice. Driving was done on a public road course in Kensington, MD - one mile - and there were two tricky stop-turn-stop-turn corners that tripped everyone up because of the double set of hand signals required.

Out the open driver's window:
Left forearm/hand straight up = right turn
Left forearm/hand straight out = left turn
Left forearm down, palm flat = stop

ALL the neighborhood kids took their driving instructions from the local village cop, and he rode out to Kensington with you on test day. I had started driving Dad's Jeep when I was 12, as well as some pretty big John Deere tractors, so driving a car was a piece of cake.

truckinman
11-14-12, 10:02 AM
My driving test for the semi was fun. Had to parallel park a SEMI! I did it in one try. With a 53 foot trailer and a sleeper truck. When I hear people complaining about parallel parking a car, it makes me sick. Lol.

We also had to reverse lane change. Ally dock it. And had to point to and describe 90 points on the truck we had to do in our pre trip every day. And then of course the rd test.

rodnok01
11-14-12, 10:06 AM
Speed and stop signs will fail you, use the smallest car you can but in reality what ever car you feel the best driving.
OP prob doesn't need to parallel park anymore, alot of states dropped that. Oh yea, my tester did the spill my coffee you fail.... so drive smoothly.

truckinman
11-14-12, 10:13 AM
Posted in wrong thread

Ranger
11-14-12, 10:57 AM
Just know the rules of the road and follow them. It's that simple.

cadillac kevin
11-14-12, 11:24 AM
I had to parallel park my cadillac. Did fine. We also had to park in a parking spot in the DMV lot (but of course it was too small and had a lamp pole in it (wouldn't be a problem if I had a "modern" car), so I parked straight right next to the light pole (and was a foot out of the lines...instructor said I was fine because I parked straight and she could understand that I didn't want to chance hitting the pole.
I think we did a 1 mile road test through the neighborhood (including some super tight streets for my big caddy)

Obeying the speed limit and fully stopping are important.

----------

I had to parallel park my cadillac. Did fine. I also had to park in a parking spot in the DMV lot (but of course it was too small and had a lamp pole in it (wouldn't be a problem if I had a "modern" car), so I parked straight right next to the light pole and was a foot out of the lines...instructor said I was fine because I parked straight and she could understand that I didn't want to chance hitting the pole with my car).
I think we did a 1 mile road test through the neighborhood (including some super tight streets for my big caddy). No major roads.
I recall the first time I took it, the instructor was happy that I had a car with working AC (it was about 100 degrees out and she said the last few cars had no AC). I failed because I couldn't find the parking brake release (vaccum...duh) or defrost button (stupid digital climate control). Aced the road test though.

Obeying the speed limit and fully stopping are important.

brandondeleo
11-14-12, 11:34 AM
One thing my bitch of an instructor dinged me for was turning "too sharp" to the left. Like, really?

truckinman
11-14-12, 11:50 AM
One thing my bitch of an instructor dinged me for was turning "too sharp" to the left. Like, really?

Did you turn before the center line? As in did you kinda cross the wrong side of the rd you were turning onto? Bc ive heard of people being dinged for that b4

CadillacLuke24
11-14-12, 12:41 PM
Depending on where you live, you don't have to take the road portion if you enrolled in a Driver's Ed class. That's what I did.

Oh, and if any of that scares you, Wyoming has a program where, if the student driver is under 18, they need 50 hours of experience with a parent in the pasengers' seat. That parent was my Dad. A good visual for that experience would be imagining learning to drive from R. Lee Ermey :sneaky:

EcSTSatic
11-14-12, 12:58 PM
Did you turn before the center line? As in did you kinda cross the wrong side of the rd you were turning onto? Bc ive heard of people being dinged for that b4

I see that all the time. Really pisses me off to have to stop short so an oncoming turner can cut into my lane!:mad2:

talismandave
11-14-12, 01:27 PM
Memories - When I took my test in December of '55 you could not use the new "turn signals" - you did the old left arm out the window signal drill. Had to parallel park twice. Driving was done on a public road course in Kensington, MD - one mile - and there were two tricky stop-turn-stop-turn corners that tripped everyone up because of the double set of hand signals required.

Out the open driver's window:
Left forearm/hand straight up = right turn
Left forearm/hand straight out = left turn
Left forearm down, palm flat = stop

...but that's the hand for holding your cell phone?:confused:

brandondeleo
11-14-12, 01:49 PM
I hate it when people do that, absolutely not... She also dinged me for not looking over my shoulder when backing around a corner. Which I did. That old hag was a joke.

truckinman
11-14-12, 02:08 PM
I hate it when people do that, absolutely not... She also dinged me for not looking over my shoulder when backing around a corner. Which I did. That old hag was a joke.

Ah. Yea I hate people like that. My tester for my CDL class A was like the one you described. Real hard ass. Made me nervous as hell

orconn
11-14-12, 02:45 PM

It's also the hand for other type signaling!. I too had to do the hand signal bit along with the parallel parking and the K turn .... all done on public roadways! All this in a Mercedes 300 D (no power steering, and bad rear vision, talk about not being able to see the corners of the car!).

Ranger
11-14-12, 02:47 PM
That was in the carrier pigeon days before cell phones. Todays driving tests have been modified to test for one handed driving while texting and applying make-up.

CadillacLuke24
11-14-12, 03:50 PM
You forgot the cheeseburger and fries Ranger :sneaky:

Submariner409
11-14-12, 03:57 PM
It's also the hand for other type signaling!. I too hand to do the had signal bit along with the parallel parking and the K turn .... all done on public roadways! All this in a Mercedes 300 D (no power steering, and bad rear vision, talk about not being able to see the corners of the car!).

Yep - I did mine in Mom's Chrysler Saratoga - like driving a Sherman tank with no power steering and it had the old Chrysler automatic transmission - with a clutch pedal. (TorqueFlight ???)

basscatt
11-14-12, 04:39 PM
My driving test for the semi was fun. Had to parallel park a SEMI! I did it in one try. With a 53 foot trailer and a sleeper truck. When I hear people complaining about parallel parking a car, it makes me sick. Lol.

We also had to reverse lane change. Ally dock it. And had to point to and describe 90 points on the truck we had to do in our pre trip every day. And then of course the rd test.
----------------------
Had to parallel park a SEMI!
OH - big deal -
how about doing a 3-point turn - with the trailer - now THAT would be impressive - :worship:

----------

Depending on where you live, you don't have to take the road portion if you enrolled in a Driver's Ed class. That's what I did.

Oh, and if any of that scares you, Wyoming has a program where, if the student driver is under 18, they need 50 hours of experience with a parent in the pasengers' seat. That parent was my Dad. A good visual for that experience would be imagining learning to drive from R. Lee Ermey :sneaky:
---------------------------
you don't have to take the road portion if you enrolled in a Driver's Ed class.
I already had my license before I took Drivers Ed -

truckinman
11-14-12, 04:49 PM
I hope you're being facetious about the 3-point turn as well. Lol

----------

That depends on your states laws. I had to have 50 hrs with a licensed adult, drivers Ed and had to take the rd test. Unless youre 18, then you only had to take a rd test. No drivers Ed or 50 hrs with adult.

Usernam3
11-14-12, 05:26 PM

I have to take the test for my license when I turn 16 in February. I believe that we still need to take the road test even if we took Driver's Ed, which we had to. In Illinois, you have to have 40 hours of day and 10 hours of night driving logged. I've logged like 3 hours at most, even though I've probably driven 100+. Dang CTS's are fun to drive.

ben.gators
11-14-12, 05:59 PM
I hate small cars, but to be honest, they are much better choices for roadtest.... Parallel parking or three point turning of a smart car should be way easier than a loooong Cadilac. Also turning radius of Seville is awful! But if you feel very comfortable and confident with Seville and you have been used to it, that would be another story....

CadillacLuke24
11-14-12, 06:23 PM
I did say it depends on where you live :duck:

I had to have 40 day hours and 10 night hours.

Usernam3
11-14-12, 06:35 PM
I wonder if the person will be more lenient if I take the driving test in my stickshift CTS. I know about three others that are my age that can drive a stick.

Jesda
11-14-12, 07:40 PM
Make sure your weed isn't in an obvious location.

cadillac kevin
11-14-12, 07:51 PM
I wonder if the person will be more lenient if I take the driving test in my stickshift CTS. I know about three others that are my age that can drive a stick.

Highly doubt it. If riding around in a luxo barge cadillac with ice cold AC on a really hot day wasn't enough to get me to pass, I doubt driving a stick in a mini caddy would.
Just know where everything is in your car, and obey traffic laws, and you should pass.

77CDV
11-14-12, 11:43 PM
Just don't hit anyone or anything, and you should be fine. :)

CadillacLuke24
11-15-12, 12:07 AM
Have confidence. That helps :D

The-Dullahan
11-15-12, 12:29 AM
New York, eh? You actually HAVE to be able to drive to pass the test there (though interestingly, while still living there, my Mum drove herself to the DMV in my Father's '79 Cadillac to apply for her learner's permit...and it didn't arouse any suspicion)

Just make sure to make everything you do VERY obvious. Exaggerate it if you have to.

In Florida, the test is (literally)

Back out of parking space, looking over shoulder.
Go to stop sign and stop.
Turn right, remembering to signal.
Get to 35 mph.
Come to complete stop in an effective manner.
Pull into parking space forward, staying within lines.

And there you have it. License!

I really threw the instructor giving my test off. Pulled up in a '67 Chevelle, parked in a Handicapped spot. though it was the only red car and it was only ten feet from us, right out the front door, I had to point and explain exactly which automobile I was referring to, as after I said "The Red One" three times, he still kept scanning the parking lot. I suppose he presumed there was no way a kid like me...and a car like that...

Would have taken the Cadillac except;

A) It was literally a last minute decision, while my Father and I were out in the Chevrolet.
B) While I have never tested, I am about 100% certain that my Cadillac is too large to actually make it to the office where the test is issued.

talismandave
11-15-12, 01:33 AM
It's also the hand for other type signaling!.

Guess Sub forgot to list that signal!

CadillacLuke24
11-15-12, 03:06 AM
Guess Sub forgot to list that signal!

Hey you! Yeah, you who damn near spun me out! YOU'RE NUMBER ONE! :rtfinger:

truckinman
11-15-12, 03:36 AM
Hey you! Yeah, you who damn near spun me out! YOU'RE NUMBER ONE! :rtfinger:

I get told I'm number one a LOT!

CadillacLuke24
11-15-12, 06:07 PM
Yeah, but I'd imagine that's from retarded drivers who don't understand the physics of tractor-trailers.....

.....unless you're a, um, ahem, spirited driver :duck:

truckinman
11-16-12, 01:16 AM
Yeah, but I'd imagine that's from retarded drivers who don't understand the physics of tractor-trailers.....

.....unless you're a, um, ahem, spirited driver :duck:

There may have been a time or two where I deserved the one finger solute. Hehe. But, for the most part, it's just impatient pricks that simply believe they are to good to drive behind a big truck

brandondeleo
11-16-12, 09:54 AM
I'm such a friendly person that I tell lots of people they're number one. It just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, eh? :lol:

EcSTSatic
11-16-12, 10:16 AM
Speaking of number one; I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these for Christmas. No offense to drivers that pay attention and observe the law. I also like the bumper sticker "Guns don't kill, people that drive with cell phones do", or something to the effect. Saw one on a truck the other day.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HyBUqVQdL._SS400_.jpg

CadillacLuke24
11-16-12, 12:46 PM
I usually don't salute. I do like my 4-note freight train like Cadillac horn though :D

brandondeleo
11-16-12, 12:48 PM
I usually don't salute. I do like my 4-note freight train like Cadillac horn though :D
I miss that...

cadillac kevin
11-16-12, 12:55 PM
I miss that...

Put caddy horns in sebring...problem solved

CadillacLuke24
11-16-12, 02:43 PM
Put caddy horns in sebring...problem solved

:histeric:

Imagine the look on the offending driver's face. He wouldn't know what to think!

brandondeleo
11-16-12, 03:43 PM
That sounds like a decent Christmas present for it... A new set of horns.