: Tire Pressure Monitoring System Sensors - anyone have them or found best source?

packardv8
11-13-12, 04:06 PM
Found a deal on take-off OEM 18" wheels but the seller removed the TPMS sensors and installed them on his ChiCom aftermarket 20"s.

Anyone have any sensors for sale or know the best source to buy same?

jack vines

classiccars
11-13-12, 06:56 PM
Find out the correct part number from the dealer. Then search eBay.
eBay will have the best price for NEW sensors.

allgm
11-13-12, 07:25 PM
Bought a new set of four on E Bay. Paid $42.00 free shipping. Did same thing 18's for winter & 20's for summer. The 18's all season go a lot better than the 20's in the snow. I have a FWD.

packardv8
11-13-12, 11:40 PM
Thanks, yes I found the sensors on eBay also.

FWIW, I needed to get the snow tires mounted and balanced today. The manager of the local tire shop I always use told me it was against the law for them to mount tires without sensors. I did my due diligence, showed him the NHTSA rule which says the shop cannot disable any TPMS but if the customer brings in a wheel with an inoperative or missing sensor, they are allowed replace with a standard valve stem and mount the tire. Finally the manager had to admit it was just company policy not to mount the tires. "If you had a wreck due to a low tire, we might get sued." Turns out is also company policy to charge $114 each for new tire sensors which can be had for $42 for all four. I took my business elsewhere.

Since the tires and wheels didn't conveniently fit in my wife's car, I had them in the back of my truck. I just drove around the corner to the next tire shop, was careful not to mention what they were for, just had them mount and balance ($108 !!) brought them home and hung them on her car myself. This second tire shop might have put them on the car, but I didn't want to go through that argument again. The counter guy didn't ask if the wheels had TPMS, probably didn't ever see the wheels and the tire buster probably didn't even notice.

jack vines

bwclemons
11-16-12, 10:36 AM
I got mine at "The Tire Rack".

packardv8
11-16-12, 12:20 PM
Hi, allgm,

Do you have the eBay contact info for the seller from whom you bought your sensors? Were they for OEM or are your Chrome Techs aftermarket wheels?

The sensors I'm finding for OEM wheels seem to be about $25 each.

Anyway, we've driven without TPMS for fifty years, so it's not urgent, but it is handy in the winter.

jack vines

----------

Hi, allgm,

Do you have the eBay contact info for the seller from whom you bought your sensors? Were they for OEM or are your Chrome Techs aftermarket wheels?

The sensors I'm finding for OEM wheels seem to be about $25 each.

jack vines

allgm
11-16-12, 04:10 PM
Sorry Jack looks like I put some misinformation out there. I bought 4 sensors on E Bay from european-motorwerks $99.00 free s&h. Can't remember if they were OEM but they looked the same and have worked fine
My SRX came with the painted 20's, bought a set of chrome techs from GMParts Direct. Sold the painted 20's with the factory sensors

packardv8
12-09-12, 06:12 PM
Still looking for best source/best price for TPMS sensors.

thnx,

jack vines

kanundrum
12-09-12, 11:21 PM
Hi to another 9-4x Member

----------

http://store.gmpartshouse.com/parts/2011/CADILLAC/SRX/PERFORMANCE/?siteid=214638&vehicleid=1447711&diagram=BN10220&diagramCallOut=1

Part # is 12768826

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=12768826&_sacat=0&_from=R40

classiccars
12-10-12, 07:49 AM
You may want to check with your dealer to make sure on the part number. Some have #20922900

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=20922900&_sacat=0&_from=R40

packardv8
12-10-12, 01:45 PM
Part # is 12768826

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

That's a much better price, but one of the sellers listing specifically says that P/N 12768826 does not fit 2011 SRX, however, the Dorman universal replacement part 974009 says it replaces both 12768826 and 20922900.

Guess I'm going to have to go to the dealer to get a ruling.

jack vines

DTurmel
12-10-12, 04:53 PM
I just bought some wheels and snow tires on-line for my new 0'12 SRX and the tire company said their supplier doesn't have any tpms sensors that fit that year model and that I need to buy from GM.......even though it seems that there are many aftermarket tpms sensors out there they told me that it is not guaranteed to work with my car so have to be careful....whats so special about the 2012 model? anybody have the same experience?

The fact that a learning tool is now required for reprogramming and now this...this part is disappointing.

packardv8
12-10-12, 10:46 PM
To add insult to injury, the SOB TPMS is a consumable item. Every one of them is battery powered and the battery will go flat in 3-5 years. I'm not sure if the warranty treats them like tires, belts and batteries; not covered. This means the 12-18 million cars sold each year are going to be needing four new TPMS sensors at a retail of $460 plus installation labor. No wonder the tire store industry is so excited about this great new profit builder.

Some shops are lying to customers and telling them it is against the law for them to work on a car which needs the sensors replaced. They say they have to replace the sensors before they can fix a flat or mount a tire. Not true at all - they are only prohibited from disabling the TPMS. No prohibition against working on a car with an already non-functioning system.

jack vines

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-11-12, 02:44 PM
Jack, I'm sorry to hear about your series of frustrations! If you would like to involve your dealership at any point and would like assistance working with them, please let me know. I'm always happy to call your dealer on your behalf to set up an appointment and check on your vehicle's status. My email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

packardv8
12-11-12, 10:16 PM
Hi, Katie,

Many thanks for the kind offer. It is my own fault for buying the wheels without verifying the TPMS sensors were still on them. Doubt there is much you can do about the cost of the parts.

Any new technology requires an adjustment from us old guys. We're just not ready for a little gizmo inside the tire which we can't see which will fail every few years.

jack vines

beachcad
12-12-12, 09:18 AM
It may not be as bad as you fear. I have a 2001 Corvette that still has the original 'functioning' TPMS. Granted, it only has about 12K miles, but I think we could expect a much longer lifespan for these gizmos.

packardv8
12-12-12, 09:42 PM
Yes, 12kmiles is about one year's cycles. The TPMS systems cycle on a regularly scheduled basis every few seconds when the vehicle is operating. If they're not running, the battery will last longer, naturally.

One random fact is some research indicates warm temps kill the TPMS batteries more rapidly than cold temps. Just the opposite of what my conventional wisdom would expect. The main system battery lasts longer in warm climates than cold.

jack vines

bwclemons
12-13-12, 10:23 AM
Sensors should last for many years. My Dad's CADY has over 175000 mi and is coming up on ten years old and has not had a sensor fail yet.
I do know that the sensors on the Cadillac are different than the sensors on some other cars. The average price is about $50 per sensor vs about $25 for other sensors. I would go to THE TIRE RACK and ask them about what sensors will work for sure. When I put new wheels and snows on our car they were about $50 per wheel.

TheCaptain
12-14-12, 06:19 AM
Here's a question. Has anyone took wheels from a 10-12 and put them on a 13 to see if the 13 recognizes the sensors? I hope I don't have to get new sensors for my winter tires when my 13 arrives...

bwclemons
12-15-12, 11:28 AM
I just called "The Tire Rack" and they said that the sensors from the 10-13 use the same sensors. They also show that on the 12-13 that you need the tool to program them to the car, but we knew that. I beleive it was discussed before, but you could use a magnet to do the programing. Not sure about that though.

RippyPartsDept
12-15-12, 11:43 AM
2010-2013 SRX use the same part #22854866

Saab 9-4x uses SA#20-922-900

upon further investigation 20922900 appears to be a good GM part number sold for much less on the GM side than on the SA side

i have all three in stock

TheCaptain
12-16-12, 09:32 AM
Thanks guys. Just the 13's need the tool to re-learn rather than doing it through the DIC is all?

bwclemons
12-17-12, 09:10 AM
Yup,
12's and 13''s need the tool.

packardv8
01-02-13, 08:11 PM
A numbnuts car writer does a syndicated column for the newspapers. His last two weekly columns perpetuated the myth tire dealers are by law prohibited from working on cars with non-functioning TPMS sensors. This is not at all true. Like emissions controls, they can't do anything to disable the system, but they can work around it, say replace spark plugs, even if part of the emissions system is missing.

Same with a missing TPMS sensor; they can fix a flat, but they can't disable the TPMS warning light, even if the customer should request it.

jack vines

packardv8
12-07-13, 02:31 PM
Update - finally bought four Dorman sensors for approx. $100. The local Tirerama charged $153 to mount and program the sensors and rebalance the tires.

The bad news is their programming doesn't seem to stick. The warning light keeps randomly coming on. At first, it wouldn't find any of the four. Most recently, it loses the left front.

We're having zero degree weather just now, so I'll wait until it warms up before having them take another shot at it.

I also bought my own Chicom TPMS programmer and I'll be working with that as well.

jack vines

DTurmel
12-07-13, 09:48 PM
Update - finally bought four Dorman sensors for approx. $100. The local Tirerama charged $153 to mount and program the sensors and rebalance the tires. The bad news is their programming doesn't seem to stick. The warning light keeps randomly coming on. At first, it wouldn't find any of the four. Most recently, it loses the left front. We're having zero degree weather just now, so I'll wait until it warms up before having them take another shot at it. I also bought my own Chicom TPMS programmer and I'll be working with that as well. jack vines

I was told to be careful about third party sensors as they are not always compatible. I bought GM sensors on eBay for my winter wheels at half price.

packardv8
12-09-13, 11:38 AM
Dorman has been an OEM supplier and replacement parts source for a hundred years. I've never used anything of theirs which wasn't as good or better than the factory packaging. This could be a first time Dorman didn't have the right part, but we do know GM doesn't make TPMS sensors, correct? It's possible Dorman was their supplier.

jack vines