: Speed limiter 07 Escalade...

JackIt007
11-13-12, 02:39 PM
Couldn't find any current posts on this subject.
What's my best and easiest option to remove the limit.
My truck cuts off at 105 mph.

Thanks!
Jack007

lee88
11-13-12, 02:48 PM
Just curious, why do you want to go any faster than that?

texas1
11-13-12, 02:59 PM
speeding ticket , crash brake something be on tv high speed chase lol just some options :bouncy:

MrHolland
11-13-12, 03:40 PM
^^^LOL!!!

----- Hand held programmer/scanner. Removing the speed limiter will allow the car to go faster than what is considered safe for the tires (stock) or brakes to be effective.

JackIt007
11-13-12, 03:53 PM
While some may think 105 is fast...I do 90 -95 as a matter of routine on the Interstate. There are stretches that 125-130 is nothing (in my Eldorado).

I understand its a programmer. I was hoping someone could point me to a specific one that they may have had experience with?

Thanks.

Jack007

MrHolland
11-13-12, 03:59 PM
If this thread turns into admitting to breaking the law more than it already has I'll be forced to close it. Thank you for understanding.

K9Caddy
11-13-12, 04:00 PM
Diablosport Intune.

wesyder
11-13-12, 06:17 PM
If this thread turns into admitting to breaking the law more than it already has I'll be forced to close it. Thank you for understanding.

Im sure no one here breaks the law :) they must mean off road use only

MrHolland
11-13-12, 07:31 PM
^^^I can respect that!!!

JackIt007
11-13-12, 09:06 PM
Are these programmers a one time use, or do they require to be permanently plugged into the OBD port?
There seems to be a plethora of disinformation on how these units work.
Also I noticed that some retailers advertise them as being "unlocked". What do they mean?
Am I going to regret it if I purchase them directly from the manufacturer?
Thanks.
Jack007

Redpost
11-13-12, 10:44 PM
Many of these programmers (Diablo, Hypertech) can only be used on one vehicle at a time. The programming is linked to the specific VIN. If you want to use them on a different vehicle, you must restore the first vehicle to its stock configuration by removing the Diablo/Hypertech programming. If you buy one of these programmers used, you need to know that the owner has in fact reversed the programming process so the programming has been removed and the tool is not locked to another VIN, preventing its use on your vehicle. Thus the term unlocked means that it can be used on another vehicle. If you are buying used and are local to the seller, you can actually plug the programmer into your OBD port to check if it will work.

That said, I have been unimpressed with these units relative to their performance claims. Much of the transmission shift programming is effective only at full throttle and some are limited in being able to compensate for changes in rear end ratio if you change gears. You can remove the top speed limiter. I didn't notice any significant increase in performance when I installed this type of tuning in a Silverado and didn't think it was worth the money. It would be money better spent to get a custom computer tune to suit your engine/trans combo and the intended use (off-road, racing, etc.).

GreaseMonkey
11-14-12, 09:26 AM
I really hope you plan on buying tires with the correct speed rating. Otherwise removing the speed limiter with the stock tires isn't very bright.

JackIt007
11-14-12, 10:35 AM
Well, I've studied tires for years.
The speed rating is mostly a scam.
When I got my Eldo it had Z rated tires. I went to replace them with Z tires and EVERY tire expert I spoke with said that unless I was planing on running 150 mph for an hour, I was wasting my money. I could run my R rated tires 120-130 with ZERO issues. Moreover, even being honest about it rarely cost them sales, as some people want the ego boost of expensive tires.
If people feel better buying high speed rated tires...its their money to burn. :-)

Jack007

GreaseMonkey
11-14-12, 11:20 AM
Well, I've studied tires for years.
The speed rating is mostly a scam.
When I got my Eldo it had Z rated tires. I went to replace them with Z tires and EVERY tire expert I spoke with said that unless I was planing on running 150 mph for an hour, I was wasting my money. I could run my R rated tires 120-130 with ZERO issues. Moreover, even being honest about it rarely cost them sales, as some people want the ego boost of expensive tires.
If people feel better buying high speed rated tires...its their money to burn. :-)

Jack007

Just about everything has a safety window built in. It will probably be fine.

However, repeatedly exceeding specs can lead to failures. Just like the 300 lb. individual who keeps using the ladder rated at 250 lbs. and eventually breaks it.

The issue is that you're putting your tires into a situation they were never tested or designed for. Just because on one set of tires you owned on another vehicle you didn't have an issue, doesn't mean that applies to all vehicle models and all tires. Not to mention, the speed rating of a tire takes into account other things than just what speed the tire can maintain without failure. I'm curious if the "experts" you talked to are individuals working at Discount Tire or actual vehicle engineers...

hcvone
11-14-12, 01:37 PM
Just about everything has a safety window built in. It will probably be fine.

However, repeatedly exceeding specs can lead to failures. Just like the 300 lb. individual who keeps using the ladder rated at 250 lbs. and eventually breaks it.

The issue is that you're putting your tires into a situation they were never tested or designed for. Just because on one set of tires you owned on another vehicle you didn't have an issue, doesn't mean that applies to all vehicle models and all tires. Not to mention, the speed rating of a tire takes into account other things than just what speed the tire can maintain without failure. I'm curious if the "experts" you talked to are individuals working at Discount Tire or actual vehicle engineers...

The stock 22's are rated to 130 mph (H), of course at that speed these trucks are not very safe, of course my ZR1 tires are rated to 186 mph, but the car does 200, oh yea they passed the test. ;)

GreaseMonkey
11-14-12, 03:23 PM
The stock 22's are rated to 130 mph (H), of course at that speed these trucks are not very safe, of course my ZR1 tires are rated to 186 mph, but the car does 200, oh yea they passed the test. ;)

I didn't know the stock tires had that rating. If that's the case, speed away.

As far as the ZR1, the tires carry a Z rating but also have a special designation after in parentheses that indicate the tire passes speeds in excess of 186 MPH. For example in the case of your tires, they carry the service description of (87Y) which means 87 load rating and Y speed rating which is 186+.

hcvone
11-14-12, 04:44 PM
I didn't know the stock tires had that rating. If that's the case, speed away.

As far as the ZR1, the tires carry a Z rating but also have a special designation after in parentheses that indicate the tire passes speeds in excess of 186 MPH. For example in the case of your tires, they carry the service description of (87Y) which means 87 load rating and Y speed rating which is 186+.

I didn't know the stock tires had that rating I didn't know either until I was changing to winter tires and saw it.

JackIt007
12-06-12, 02:06 AM
UPDATE:
I purchased the Diablo. The incredibly improved performance amazed me. While I was happy to only have the speed limit removed, I'm actually loving the new ride!
Thanks to all for the help.
Jack007

SouthernCaddy
12-11-12, 11:21 AM
How fast have you been since you got the programmer...off road of coarse :)

Tec80
12-11-12, 02:16 PM
Not only tire rating, but driveshaft stability. The driveshaft can begin to jump-rope at a high enough speed (and with enough imbalance). Depending on which end lets go first, you could be OK or wishing you had not messed with it. Like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZXBjVIrR08

JackIt007
12-11-12, 06:23 PM
Well, on a clear stretch of PRIVATE road, I took it up to 110 just to ensure it was fixed.
I appreciate the warnings, but I'll take my chances that Cadillac didn't design a drive train that would fall apart at 100 mph. :-)

Its bad enough that our lawyer infested society has eroded our rights, but what I can't fathom is...why in the HELL wouldn't Cadillac optimize their vehicles stock? This truck should shift and run like this off the showroom floor. Is it optimized for soccer moms? Let them learn how to drive!
So, I have to spend $400 in order to be able to drive MY truck like it was designed?
Okay. Rant over. LOL
Now, back to enjoying my "new" truck! :-)
Jack007

SpyShops NY
02-12-13, 01:21 AM
Leave it, its there for a reason. If you unlock do it for 115mph more than that I would not trust

Salvage101
02-12-13, 08:46 AM
Well, on a clear stretch of PRIVATE road, I took it up to 110 just to ensure it was fixed.
I appreciate the warnings, but I'll take my chances that Cadillac didn't design a drive train that would fall apart at 100 mph. :-)

HA! they cant even design an a pillar rite, what makes u think they can design something like that? Baby steps, baby steps

hcvone
02-12-13, 10:20 AM

Our cstv coupe has seen almost double that speed and it has not fallen apart. ;)

JackIt007
02-12-13, 05:18 PM
Our cstv coupe has see almost double that speed and it has not fallen apart.
That's what I.m talking about! LOL
But, the improved performance with the Diablo tune has been more than worth it!
Jack007

hcvone
02-12-13, 05:39 PM
That's what I.m talking about! LOL
But, the improved performance with the Diablo tune has been more than worth it!
Jack007

It's a good product, we did the 2007, 2010 and 2012 tune for the Escalade for them, it's just what happens when you get the trucks before anyone else, you get to be the guinea pig ;)

JackIt007
02-12-13, 11:09 PM
I'll be honest with you...I really believed it was just a bunch of snake oil. I bought the product strictly for the purpose of removing the speed limiter. The guy I bought it from was nice enough to install it and that's when I learned of the different options. I can't recall the name of the particular tune up, but I really feel it is much more responsive. I tend to drive my truck like a sports car. LOL Now when I step into the gas it jumps, and when I lay into it, like merging onto the interstate, it shifts much nicer. Its almost as if the truck was factory tuned for soccer moms.
I don't know if my mpg is much less. I don't think so, and I really don't care. :-)
Jack007