: Oil Change Timing

dsciola
11-13-12, 02:05 PM
Methinks this is gonna be a super-nube question, but here it goes...

when should I get the oil changed in my 2005 Escalade regular? The sensor is set to ding for an oil change @ 5,000 miles. Jiffy Lube tells me better to get it earlier at about 3,000 miles, Consumer Reports says you can wait till 10,000 miles...

So who's right, my car's sensor, CR, or JL? I dont wanna have to waste money on an earlier than needed oil change, but I more importantly dont wanna jeopardize the longevity of my
car's life by skimping on essential maintenance.

Thanks!

Dom

the cadillac man
11-13-12, 02:11 PM
Methinks this is gonna be a super-nube question, but here it goes...

when should I get the oil changed in my 2005 Escalade regular? The sensor is set to ding for an oil change @ 5,000 miles. Jiffy Lube tells me better to get it earlier at about 3,000 miles, Consumer Reports says you can wait till 10,000 miles...

So who's right, my car's sensor, CR, or JL? I dont wanna have to waste money on an earlier than needed oil change, but I more importantly dont wanna jeopardize the longevity of my
car's life by skimping on essential maintenance.

Thanks!

Dom

The oil life meter is what I go by as it measures the oil life(I have got up to 7500 miles between oil changes

dsciola
11-13-12, 05:01 PM
Ic, so by 'oil life meter' you mean the digital display on the dashboard, correct? Lists a % of oil life left, counts down to 0% eventually?

If so, mine currently says 'change engine oil', guess its about that time!

the cadillac man
11-13-12, 06:08 PM
Ic, so by 'oil life meter' you mean the digital display on the dashboard, correct? Lists a % of oil life left, counts down to 0% eventually?

If so, mine currently says 'change engine oil', guess its about that time!

You are correct i suggest changing it before it gets to 0

Normally I change it at 22% as a preventive measure.

zapconj
11-17-12, 12:06 AM
FYI if you're a member of Costco, they have Mobile1 5 quart bottles for $26 until the 1st. I picked up a few bottles today and will prob go back to get 4 more before the months out. I have to do changes for my EXT and the wife's STS4 so it gets expensive every few months! lol

the cadillac man
11-17-12, 12:27 AM
FYI if you're a member of Costco, they have Mobile1 5 quart bottles for $26 until the 1st. I picked up a few bottles today and will prob go back to get 4 more before the months out. I have to do changes for my EXT and the wife's STS4 so it gets expensive every few months! lol

Keep in mind you need 6 quarts of oil I wish there was a Costco in my area which is coming soon but I don't know when yet

yamla_jatt806
11-21-12, 03:53 PM
Using Mobil 1 synthetic oil and Napa Gold/Wix filter, I go 7500-8000 miles between oil changes, comes out to 2x a year. Been doing this for 6+ years, over 107,000 miles, with absolutely no issues. The truck runs like it's brand new.