: 2007+ transmission flush

mkosharkii
11-13-12, 01:29 PM
All,

I just finished doing a filter change / flush over the weekend. It took about 5 hours total with a clean slate approach (no manuals or other information). I'm sure I could accomplish it in about 2 hours having done it once. I read about someone disconnecting at the radiator to do this, but I wanted to include the trans cooler, so off came the front end.

If anyone wants more info, I'd be glad to share. Just let me know. It wasn't as bad as it looks.

turbocobra
11-14-12, 01:04 AM
mkosharkii,

I'm getting ready to do this in the next couple of weeks and would appreciate a step by step process if you dont mind. Were you able to get the fluid out of the torque converter? Thanks for your help!!

----------

mkosharkii,

I'm getting ready to do this in the next couple of weeks and would appreciate a step by step process if you dont mind. Were you able to get the fluid out of the torque converter? Thanks for your help!!

SouthernCaddy
11-14-12, 07:33 PM
Getting mine done in the morning. Dropping it off at transmission shop...no charge to me....LOL

jdubh25
11-14-12, 09:12 PM
Getting mine done in the morning. Dropping it off at transmission shop...no charge to me....LOL

Any transmission shop will do?

48Dodge
11-15-12, 01:47 PM
Going to try this soon. How many quarts of fluid did you end up using. I've been seeing people using about 15 for a good flush and refill. I'm guessing you dropped the pan and replaced the filter. Did you need a new gasket?

SouthernCaddy
11-15-12, 07:02 PM
Any transmission shop will do?

I know the owner of the shop and he does my work for no charge. He also changed my Diff's fluids out to. But any trans shop can do this and they also changed out the filter. Just make sure you go to a good one that is not crooked.

IgotGAME
11-16-12, 01:12 PM
To each their own, but no way I would spend 5 hours of my time on something I could have a reputable place accomplish for $100-$125. But that's just me...

mkosharkii
11-16-12, 03:34 PM
mkosharkii,

I'm getting ready to do this in the next couple of weeks and would appreciate a step by step process if you dont mind. Were you able to get the fluid out of the torque converter? Thanks for your help!![COLOR="Silver"]

Turbocobra,
If you feel comfortable doing so, it would be easier to explain over the phone while you're looking at your truck. You can shoot me an email with your number to (my user name)2002@yahoo.com with a good time to call if you want. Based on the amount of dirty fluid that came out (easily 12 quarts), yes, the torque converter is now bathed in brand new fluid.

Going to try this soon. How many quarts of fluid did you end up using. I've been seeing people using about 15 for a good flush and refill. I'm guessing you dropped the pan and replaced the filter. Did you need a new gasket?

48Dodge,
I ended up using 17.5 quarts. 15 seems about right though, I was just being extra extra sure I was getting a good flush. I reused the stock gasket. It was in good shape and ribbed, which I prefer to the flat one I got with the filter.

To each their own, but no way I would spend 5 hours of my time on something I could have a reputable place accomplish for $100-$125. But that's just me...

IgotGAME,
I figure that even the most honest shop doesn't care about my cars as much as I do. Not to mention, at $100-$125, one has to wonder where the cost is being cut. I spent $100 on fluid alone, and about half of that was the cheapest Dexron VI approved stuff I could find.

48Dodge
11-16-12, 04:35 PM
48Dodge,
I ended up using 17.5 quarts. 15 seems about right though, I was just being extra extra sure I was getting a good flush. I reused the stock gasket. It was in good shape and ribbed, which I prefer to the flat one I got with the filter.

IgotGAME,
I figure that even the most honest shop doesn't care about my cars as much as I do. Not to mention, at $100-$125, one has to wonder where the cost is being cut. I spent $100 on fluid alone, and about half of that was the cheapest Dexron VI approved stuff I could find.

I appreciate it. I have 18 quarts ready for me, but that includes what needs to go in the transfer case so I should have more than enough. I've got the filter and kit waiting for me at the store. I'll compare the gasket to the stock. I agree, there are a lot of things I enjoy doing that may cost me more in time than what a shop would charge. I know what comes out and what goes back in. I'm thinking for $100, they're probably switching out 5 quarts and calling it good. Maybe they're replacing the filter and gasket, but the cheapest kit I saw was about $20.

turbocobra
11-16-12, 05:07 PM
Turbocobra,
If you feel comfortable doing so, it would be easier to explain over the phone while you're looking at your truck. You can shoot me an email with your number to (my user name)2002@yahoo.com with a good time to call if you want. Based on the amount of dirty fluid that came out (easily 12 quarts), yes, the torque converter is now bathed in brand new fluid.

48Dodge,

IgotGAME,

Exactly! 9 out of 10 shops will pull the plug and replace whatever fluid comes out with a no name fluid. That's exactly why I'm willing to spend a few hours of my time to know that it's done correct.

----------

Turbocobra,

48Dodge,

IgotGAME,

Exactly! 9 out of 10 shops will pull the plug and replace whatever fluid comes out with a no name fluid. That's exactly why I'm willing to spend a few hours of my time to know that it's done correct.

SouthernCaddy
11-16-12, 09:49 PM
You may be correct, but not the shop I go to. They flushed it with a transmission flushing machine that cleaned out everything including the cooler, Then they pump new clean fluid through it and then the changed the filter and filled it back up with clean brand new fluid. Transco Transmission in columbus Ga does the job right the first time. You just need to find a good shop with the right equipment and you are good to go. Also why can they do it so cheap? well 2 reasons the machine does the flushing, and they buy the fluid in bulk at very cheap prices as well as the filters. It took the 2 hours to do it and they changed the diff fluids to while I waited nad watched. very professional!!

MrHolland
11-16-12, 10:50 PM
Some people will say the transmission flush machines are inferior because they use solvents to clean the system.

------Link to a previous thread discussing this same issue of flushing transmissions

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/245778-trans-fluid-change-tips.html

48Dodge
11-19-12, 11:54 PM
Just did the transmission and transfer case tonight. Transfer case was even easier than the front diff. Transmission wasn't bad but the pan was a bear to remove. Removing the dipstick first is key. Don't ask me how I know that. Transfer case took about 1.5 quarts. I used probably about 13 quarts for the transmission. Going to recheck the level after some driving. I can already tell a huge difference in the smoothness of the shifting after a quick drive around the neighborhood. Old fluid was dark but not burnt so I was never in a rush to change it.

mkosharkii
11-20-12, 10:30 AM
Just did the transmission and transfer case tonight. Transfer case was even easier than the front diff. Transmission wasn't bad but the pan was a bear to remove. Removing the dipstick first is key. Don't ask me how I know that. Transfer case took about 1.5 quarts. I used probably about 13 quarts for the transmission. Going to recheck the level after some driving. I can already tell a huge difference in the smoothness of the shifting after a quick drive around the neighborhood. Old fluid was dark but not burnt so I was never in a rush to change it.

Fortunately, I read somewhere about the dipstick clearance prior to... I actually had a harder time getting the pan back in than taking it out, but I'm sure everyone has different tolerances to the exhaust.

48Dodge
11-20-12, 10:51 AM
Pan going back in was much worse. I think it was mainly because I popped the filter off while I tried to figure out why I couldn't get the pan off. Sine the filter had to be in place going back I didn't have as much wiggle room. I had to pop the hard lines loose and the pan finally went in. One trick is figured out was to close the latch with a screw driver so the it thinks the hood is closed. Then you can remote start and kill the engine while flushing the old fluid out.