: 2006 Cadillac STS 3.6L V6 - Cold Air Intakes?

Nightshadow
11-13-12, 01:50 AM
Hey everyone,

So I finally purchased my STS, I am pretty excited about it and looking to add neat stuff to it. Unfortunately, after much researching online I've not been able to find good quality Cold Air Intakes for my 2006 V6 STS. There are plenty for the V8 version but no go on mine. Any suggestions?

I contacted Volant and they stated they don't have any offerings for the V6.
Injen only appears to handle a few for that make year.
Spectre I've seen has some pretty bad reviews on some sites, although I think they do have one available for my vehicle.

Etc, etc.

Help!

I also couldnt find Brembo brakes / rotors for my car. What gives? Is the V6 just not loved by 3rd party manufacturers?! I am pretty bummed out here, honestly.

Ludacrisvp
11-13-12, 02:45 AM
Cadillacs in general are not loved by any 3rd party manufacturers V6/V8 doesn't really matter much, Unless you have a CTS-V the aftermarket options are very limited.

You can change to the V series Brembo brake package on your car from the STS-V, you will need more than just calipers and rotors though since the V used 6 lug wheels.
It would be cheaper this route compared to trying to get a set from brembo directly from what I have read.

Intake wise, I've been told that the factory setup is already a cold air intake that provides more air flow than even the 4.6L V8 can use.
So all you will get out of changing it is a slight induction noise change.

Nightshadow
11-13-12, 09:09 AM
Darn, so no cool noise for my car then!

Ah well.

Now as far as the brakes I didnt quite understand, did you mean I can apply the same STS-V brakes to the regular base STS v6? Problem is, as you stated, mine uses 5 lugnuts vs the 6. So sounds like a much more costly thing than I care to deal with.

Any other brake brands that you might recommend?

1BadCadSTS
11-13-12, 09:12 AM
Hawk or EBC

eatyoursandwich
11-13-12, 10:04 AM
Guy, you bought a nearly 2-ton luxury sedan with a V6.

curtc
11-13-12, 11:57 AM
Look in the 1st Gen CTS forum, there are aftermarket upgrades out there for the 3.6, it's the same motor. Volant makes an intake for the LY7, Rx performance makes an intake spacer to help cool the manifold better which increases horsepower...

If you wanted to mod this car you bought the wrong one, not much out there unfortunately...The target market isn't exactly a tuner crowd.

1BadCadSTS
11-13-12, 01:45 PM
You say unfortunately I say fortunately. I rather not see my car riced out like a civic. Bad enough I see poser Vs with emblems running round.

curtc
11-13-12, 02:23 PM
You say unfortunately I say fortunately. I rather not see my car riced out like a civic. Bad enough I see poser Vs with emblems running round.

Classy/functional upgrades on an STS are worlds apart from a riced out Civic.

I hear ya on those V posers though, I laugh when I see one.

1BadCadSTS
11-13-12, 02:31 PM
Yes but if they made the junk you know some idiot would be slapping it on their car.

eatyoursandwich
11-13-12, 02:48 PM
I see an Autozone shopping spree in the op's future

Nightshadow
11-13-12, 03:34 PM
not much out there unfortunately...The target market isn't exactly a tuner crowd.

lol great point. Either way, Ill do what i can with it. I purposely switched from a V8 to a V6 but we will see whats available.

----------

I see an Autozone shopping spree in the op's future

I hate to tell you this buddy but Autozone is pretty bad quality. I wouldnt recommend it. If you check the forums you'll find all sorts of useful information on better quality products. Good luck! :)

eatyoursandwich
11-13-12, 04:10 PM
lol great point. Either way, Ill do what i can with it. I purposely switched from a V8 to a V6 but we will see whats available.

----------

I hate to tell you this buddy but Autozone is pretty bad quality. I wouldnt recommend it. If you check the forums you'll find all sorts of useful information on better quality products. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the tip, but you are the Op.

I said "I see an Autozone shopping spree in the op's future". The Op would be you.

Just giving you a hard time. CAI on a full-sized sedan with a V6? C'mon man.

curtc
11-13-12, 07:05 PM
I for one would like to see some N* performance bolt ons, like headers, intake manifold, throttle body, supercharger/turbo, etc...yes, I couldve bought a V, but good luck finding one for south of $20k...

Now the V6...the upgrade is the N*, lol...Spend a couple extra grand for 65 more HP...won't squeeze 320 from the LY7 without a serious bank account...no way, no how.

Submariner409
11-13-12, 07:41 PM
Curious that nobody caught the fact that the later STS line, drivetrain notwithstanding, has a perfectly good CAI installed at the factory - No, you get no bling or 13 hp window stickers, but as delivered the factory system flows more cold air than the engine can handle at WOT redline.

Any of us can get a ScanGauge-II, plug it into the OBD port, and watch any 4 of 12 engine gauges - I monitor ignition advance, intake air temp, coolant temp and MAP (inverse manifold pressure).

On the highway my Seville TS with factory CAI runs IAT of 5 - 9 degrees above ambient; suburban/traffic; 12 - 15 above ambient and in heavy traffic - up to 155 degrees IAT (and no CAI on earth will prevent heavy traffic heat soak). MAP gets to near zero at WOT, so there's no restriction to worry about. If you don't believe me, get your own temp monitor system.

I don't know, but does EBC make pads/rotors for the later "STS" ? Most righteous brakes.............. if you can accept the fact that you willl NOT be driving the 24 Hours of LeMans - ever.

curtc
11-13-12, 08:32 PM
I don't know, but does EBC make pads/rotors for the later "STS" ? Most righteous brakes.............. if you can accept the fact that you willl NOT be driving the 24 Hours of LeMans - ever.

Yes they do! And that's what I'll be purchasing in the near future, with the Red Stuff pads....

Mullah88
11-13-12, 08:45 PM
since we're discussing what will (and will not) work on a v6 3.6L. which exhaust systems will work on a v6? corsa cat-back, borla, magnaflow or flow master? i dont want to spend thousands (depending on which one) and it doesnt fit. i had a corsa in my 98 sts before i sold it

ITSQUIK
11-14-12, 11:40 PM
I just did full EBC setup on the front of my 05 V6--Dimpled/Slotted Rotors & Green Stuff pads.. The work absolutely phenomenal!!! Also, I've spoken to D3 about CAI's. They told me that their CTS-V kit will work on the STS V6. You just can't use the extra heat shield. I haven't done it yet, but when I do, I'll post the results. I have found them to be very helpful. I expected to get a Snobby attitude since I don't have a V but pleasantly surprised---not the case at all. I will be purchasing quite a few pieces from them!!