: fsm. factory service manual advice

02603sec
11-12-12, 08:56 PM
I still have the 07 sts v8 1sf. Is helms the only choice?

MoistCabbage
11-12-12, 09:00 PM
For a "real" service manual? Yes. That, or subscribe to Alldata.

You know you posted in the Seville/Eldo forum, right?

basscatt
11-12-12, 09:03 PM
I still have the 07 sts v8 1sf. Is helms the only choice?
---------------------------
Is helms the only choice?
as far as hard-copy books go - YES - the FSM is the best/only choice -

you could also look into an AllData subscription

02603sec
11-12-12, 09:07 PM
Yep i know. Seems this forum has a.few guys that actually work on their cars. I still need a manual. Havent used alldata. Ill check it out.

MoistCabbage
11-12-12, 09:08 PM
Yep i know. Seems this forum has a.few guys that actually work on their cars.Ah, gotcha :yup: .

02603sec
11-12-12, 09:19 PM
Thanks!

EChas3
11-12-12, 10:19 PM
DVD versions of the shop manual can be purchased for little money on e-bay.

ddalder
11-12-12, 10:44 PM
DVD versions of the shop manual can be purchased for little money on e-bay.
I tried purchasing one of these once and found it to be pirated data from eSI (Service Information). SI is what the GM dealerships use. Personally I won't support the theft of or use of stolen information. It is my opinion that most offerings like this on eBay likely falls into this category.

As for other choices, I've used AllData and OnDemand5 (Mitchell). I still prefer the OEM sources to either of these. I guess it depends on what you are planning to do and how much you'll use it.

Submariner409
11-13-12, 08:07 AM
FWIW, I have used Alldata ( www.alldatadiy.com (http://www.alldatadiy.com) ) for 7 years now, on the car and 2 trucks. It's a good site with so much information that you have to get used to surfing around to get to the system/part/bulletin, but it's all there, as well as updated lists of all TSB's, RPO's, recalls, labor times, old parts pricing and repair info.

As posted, almost any "GM" DVD you get from eBay is an illegal pirated copy, most do not have all needed info and are hopelessly out of date.

The Helm/GM manuals are the "bible" and can be had for <$60 on eBay but they, too are not updated. I bought a new set for the car in early 2006, directly from Helm, Inc., and the print date is February 2002.

Chilton and Haynes can be had anywhere but they are far, far too generic and often give incorrect info for a specific car model or procedure. I would use one of them to find out where in the engine the spark plugs are; I would use another source to find out how to change them.

Ludacrisvp
11-13-12, 08:20 AM
Lol sub. I agree completely.

02603sec
11-13-12, 07:21 PM
Decisions decisions. For me, I just redid my garage office in all white melamine and big windows, lots of counter space. I would use my old laptop, if not, it's a lot of work to go from the garage to the house, upstairs to the computer. Alldata (DIY), says it doesn't have BMW. I/we have X3, 550i, Miata, Legacy GT Limited, Vette, F250 and the STS. for the year; $95.00? When I change cars, I don't have any souvenirs laying around. Helms is $200 for one manual that may not be up to date. OK. Early Christmas for myself. Technically, the only cars I wrench on are the truck, vette and caddy. The others have a rare issue now and then, and I guess I could always add a vehicle. I looked for a referral bonus for Sub and noticed AllData is owned by Autozone. :)

Submariner409
11-13-12, 07:36 PM
I looked for a referral bonus for Sub and noticed AllData is owned by Autozone. :)

THAT piece of info just ruined my entire dinner.

EChas3
11-13-12, 08:55 PM
I tried purchasing one of these once and found it to be pirated data from eSI (Service Information). SI is what the GM dealerships use. Personally I won't support the theft of or use of stolen information. It is my opinion that most offerings like this on eBay likely falls into this category.

I do not encourage or support any software piracy. Properly licensed manuals are available in electronic form at a lot lower cost. Some people prefer them. That's all.

sapien
11-13-12, 09:18 PM
I'm an IT guy and I still prefer leafing thru hardcopy service manuals. I have the one for my '05 STS and it's three huge volumes, publisher is North American Operations - General Motors Corp., (C) 2005.
Paid for itself after a couple uses, and no real need to update it since the car doesn't change.

ddalder
11-14-12, 12:15 AM
It is very unlikely that the paper manuals will not be up to date. What you won't have, is access to current and up to date service bulletins. You'll only get this with a good online subscription.

When I'm looking to undertake a project or repair, I'll take out a three day subscription to the genuine GM manuals, complete with all current service bulletins. This is available at a cost of $20 at www.acdelcotds.com. This is identical to what dealerships use. If you only tackle the occasional repair, this may be a perfect option.