: Shocks and Struts needed

DG2
11-12-12, 05:34 PM
I have a 2005 STS with all-wheel-drive and MRC. After 181,000 miles I need to replace front struts and shocks. Anyone performed this on their '05 or newer STS with MRC and if so how much did you pay ??

Thx

02603sec
11-12-12, 08:08 PM
its going to be more then your car is worth. FSM manual for procedure from Helms and do it yourself with sourced used parts from car-part.com. Save thousands.

EChas3
11-12-12, 11:17 PM
Opinions vary.

Some members contend that an expensive repair such as a set of MRC shocks is a waste of money.

I contend that the real question is how much you will spend to replace your car.

Check with Chris at Rippy's and/or your favorite salvage yard for the parts. Ask around for an independant's price to replace the shocks. Compare costs with a good dealer. DIY or pays your money and takes your chances.

DG2
11-12-12, 11:20 PM
I have been trying to ignore this issue because if
Mileage on the car. But, it still runs great and I am going keep for my youngest kids to learn ti drive. But I am really noticing the bumps on the road.its becoming a jarring experience.

carter's_sts
11-12-12, 11:34 PM
Lots of people make the mistake of thinking that you shouldn't spend more on your car than its worth. That makes no sense financially.

It will almost always cost you way more to buy a different car.

It's time to get a new car when the body or frame is rusted too much, you are sick of repairing your car or there is too much down time, you can't get the parts, you don't like your car anymore (for whatever reason...looks like crap, drives like crap), or you just want a new car.

DG2
11-12-12, 11:51 PM
Lots of people make the mistake of thinking that you shouldn't spend more on your car than its worth. That makes no sense financially.

It will almost always cost you way more to buy a different car.

It's time to get a new car when the body or frame is rusted too much, you are sick of repairing your car or there is too much down time, you can't get the parts, you don't like your car anymore (for whatever reason...looks like crap, drives like crap), or you just want a new car.

Great point. If I put $2k into suspension work that would represent about 4 months payments on a new XTS. Still love the STS and want to keep until the 2014 CTS Twin Turbo comes out !

carter's_sts
11-13-12, 12:09 AM
Sounds like a good plan. I'm always looking for my next car just because I like cars, but my taste is way too expensive.

But I love my STSs and and plan to keep them for a while. I also hope the updated CTS is nice and hopefully bigger (I don't like small cars). I also hope they improve the XTS.

Now that I have a V I think I'll have to have at least one fast car.

I love certain Lacs, but I have to admit I regularly look at the CLS class MBs.

DG2
11-13-12, 12:13 AM
Any car buff has to admire the MB especially CL class. They are beautiful. I have a feeling this new CTS is going be off the charts. Judging how well Cadillac did on the ground up ATS and the interior layout /quality of XTS it has to be awesome.

Ludacrisvp
11-13-12, 06:49 AM
Dealer price for one front MRC shock was $680 part only for my AWD 08.
The decision to replace needs to be made by if you spend the $2k to do this do you feel that you will get $2k worth of use out of the car? Is it worth the money? Assuming its paid for would you rather deal with a car payment which may also include you putting a down payment of more than $2k, not to mention all the car payments that will follow.