: Need to pick some brains. Any info welcome!

T1nosky
11-12-12, 02:18 PM
Good morning everyone,

First I wanted to say hello! This is my first post on the forums. I have been looking around these forums for quite some time now and finally decided to register. I currently own a 2004 Cadillac Escalade, 65000 kms, It's in great condition and never had any issues with it. That is, until yesterday...

To give you a little background information, I was heading back home from work and stopped to grab a coffee. 3 minutes later I get back in my truck and try to start it. Turn the key and turns over a couple times but then quits. While this is happening all warnings and messages are going crazy. (this includes headlights flickering, interior lights flashing, horn going off for a split second). The NAV system is showing a white display but cant recall what it said. (looked like a company logo rather than an error). Either way, I never seen that before. The craziest part was when I pulled the key out of the ignition, the truck tried to start! Even with the keys out. All errors I have read were: Stability Control, Fuel System, and Power Steering? I could be writing them wrong but they are along those lines. I have never experienced this in my life. The truck was showing zero signs of symptoms and this suddenly just happened.

I left it for a while and tried to start the truck again. No luck. So the truck is still sitting in that parking spot. I am going back after my shift today. I just wanted to see if anyone on here had any suggestions? I searched the forum this morning. I found a couple of things that were similar but noting to this degree. I would tow the truck today to GM dealership but since it's a holiday in Canada, I cannot do so until tomorrow.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you, :thumbsup:

T1nosky

the cadillac man
11-12-12, 03:04 PM
Good morning everyone,

First I wanted to say hello! This is my first post on the forums. I have been looking around these forums for quite some time now and finally decided to register. I currently own a 2004 Cadillac Escalade, 65000 kms, It's in great condition and never had any issues with it. That is, until yesterday...

To give you a little background information, I was heading back home from work and stopped to grab a coffee. 3 minutes later I get back in my truck and try to start it. Turn the key and turns over a couple times but then quits. While this is happening all warnings and messages are going crazy. (this includes headlights flickering, interior lights flashing, horn going off for a split second). The NAV system is showing a white display but cant recall what it said. (looked like a company logo rather than an error). Either way, I never seen that before. The craziest part was when I pulled the key out of the ignition, the truck tried to start! Even with the keys out. All errors I have read were: Stability Control, Fuel System, and Power Steering? I could be writing them wrong but they are along those lines. I have never experienced this in my life. The truck was showing zero signs of symptoms and this suddenly just happened.

I left it for a while and tried to start the truck again. No luck. So the truck is still sitting in that parking spot. I am going back after my shift today. I just wanted to see if anyone on here had any suggestions? I searched the forum this morning. I found a couple of things that were similar but noting to this degree. I would tow the truck today to GM dealership but since it's a holiday in Canada, I cannot do so until tomorrow.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you, :thumbsup:

T1nosky

Sounds like the PCM is failing I had it happen to me(it can disable the starter)

Mine showed reduced engine power engine overheat, transmission overheat, change engine oil check washer fluid and the service ride control

So I had it towed home and checked all of the wiring no signs of any shorts in the wiring

First I suggest checking the battery cables and make sure they are tight(that might fix the interior issues)

Is the check engine light on?

Mine was on when the PCM failed and I pulled a throttle actuator data bus code

The worst part to my experience was I might have plowed through Walmart that day as the pedal sensor showed the pedal at 98.8% not good luckily the PCM shut the engine down before things went horrible.

FYI every message you listed points to the PCM and the nav system shows Delphi on the screen in the event something disrupts the data bus

T1nosky
11-12-12, 03:23 PM
FYI every message you listed points to the PCM and the nav system shows Delphi on the screen in the event something disrupts the data bus

That's correct! I recall it showing Delphi on the display. I already had a look at the battery and everything is secure, 100% fastened. I will search some things about the PCM. Do you know how much they are to replace/re-program? Sorry I wouldn't know what is needed in that process.

I appreciate your reply! Dealership tomorrow..

Thanks,

T1nosky.

----------

Would you be talking about the ECM? just wondering if the PCM is the same as ECM?

I found out how to reset the ECM via below:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7559456_reset-cadillac-ecm.html

You do think I can try this method and see if it works by resetting it?

the cadillac man
11-12-12, 05:17 PM
That's correct! I recall it showing Delphi on the display. I already had a look at the battery and everything is secure, 100% fastened. I will search some things about the PCM. Do you know how much they are to replace/re-program? Sorry I wouldn't know what is needed in that process.

I appreciate your reply! Dealership tomorrow..

Thanks,

T1nosky.

----------

Would you be talking about the ECM? just wondering if the PCM is the same as ECM?

I found out how to reset the ECM via below:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7559456_reset-cadillac-ecm.html

You do think I can try this method and see if it works by resetting it?

If you can get the mileage a parts store can order one but if you can't (I couldn't due to the reduced engine power message) then the dealer is the only place I think it close to 500.00 to replace mine give or take including labor

FYI the reset only clears the idle position and the learned driving style

T1nosky
11-13-12, 11:39 AM
Well it looks like everything is fine now? I went back yesterday and it started no problem, like nothing ever happened? I have an appointment tomorrow just to make sure. I just find it very odd.

I will update here once I hear back from them and see what it could be.

Thanks for you help!

T1nosky,