: Alarm?

jdubh25
11-11-12, 07:14 PM
Do our escalades come pre-installed with an alarm system that requires activation?

MrHolland
11-11-12, 07:25 PM
They have a factory alarm pre-installed but requires no activation. When you lock the door with the FOB the alarm is set.

wesyder
11-11-12, 08:53 PM
Do our escalades come pre-installed with an alarm system that requires activation?

Sounds like something the car dealer would say "the alarm is pre installed but needs to be activated for a nominal fee"

MrHolland
11-11-12, 11:58 PM
Onstar does need to be activated before it can be used, but not the alarm.

johnpg
11-12-12, 12:07 AM
This "alarm" is basically useless. It only prevents someone from hot wiring your car I think.

I recently had someone bust the door handle off on my EXT and get inside the door to unlock it. "Alarm" was set, doors locked. Still they got it and took my iPod an other stuff. If you want real security, get a Viper Alarm. I got one and its deterred one theft already. Plus extra range for unlock/lock and remote start.

If someone wants to explain exactly what the factory alarm does, go ahead. But I wouldnt trust it at all.

hannity
11-12-12, 02:06 PM
This "alarm" is basically useless. It only prevents someone from hot wiring your car I think.

I recently had someone bust the door handle off on my EXT and get inside the door to unlock it. "Alarm" was set, doors locked. Still they got it and took my iPod an other stuff. If you want real security, get a Viper Alarm. I got one and its deterred one theft already. Plus extra range for unlock/lock and remote start.

If someone wants to explain exactly what the factory alarm does, go ahead. But I wouldnt trust it at all.

You are correct, the alarm system is completely useless. And if you look under the front wheel wheel (i forget which side) you can see the battery cable and disconnect it, but only an inexperienced gm truck theif would do that. When I had my 3rd row seats stolen, I had no idea how they got in the truck , because the alarm was still set. The officer that arrived told me how they get into these trucks, they took something and pried my door handle up a bit and was able to wiggle it and open the door. They did this with the alarm set and it never went off. They went into my glove box and my opened my tail gate, stole the 3rd row seats. Never ever thought about someone stealing them, the officer explained to me he has seen it alot with these trucks. The best security is an aftermarket alarm or a detachable steering wheel.

lee88
11-12-12, 03:17 PM
You are correct, the alarm system is completely useless. And if you look under the front wheel wheel (i forget which side) you can see the battery cable and disconnect it, but only an inexperienced gm truck theif would do that. When I had my 3rd row seats stolen, I had no idea how they got in the truck , because the alarm was still set. The officer that arrived told me how they get into these trucks, they took something and pried my door handle up a bit and was able to wiggle it and open the door. They did this with the alarm set and it never went off. They went into my glove box and my opened my tail gate, stole the 3rd row seats. Never ever thought about someone stealing them, the officer explained to me he has seen it alot with these trucks. The best security is an aftermarket alarm or a detachable steering wheel.

Went into your glove box and opened the tailgate?[COLOR="Silver"]

That's not where the button is. Hmmmm

MrHolland
11-12-12, 03:42 PM
^^^You are correct, that is not where the switch is located.

------ Regardless if you have a factory alarm or a custom install, the thieves will always be one step ahead. If someone wants your car or something in it bad enough, they'll take it.

That said, I find the factory alarm and onstar sufficient for my needs.

lee88
11-12-12, 04:53 PM
^^^You are correct, that is not where the switch is located.

------ Regardless if you have a factory alarm or a custom install, the thieves will always be one step ahead. If someone wants your car or something in it bad enough, they'll take it.

That said, I find the factory alarm and onstar sufficient for my needs.

I agree. The factory alarm seems just fine for me! I've even had it go off on me a few times lol

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-12-12, 04:59 PM
Jdub, your question generated some very interesting discussion so far, so thanks for starting this thread. I'm going to document everyone's feedback where the appropriate GM teams can view it.

Johnpg, I'm so sorry you went through that! If you would ever like me to document your specific feedback further, then please don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

jdubh25
11-12-12, 06:34 PM
Yeah it did! MrHolland regarding the Onstar, what can it do alarm-wise? I have been really considering activating it for the extra piece of mind while traveling.

lee88
11-12-12, 07:09 PM
Yeah it did! MrHolland regarding the Onstar, what can it do alarm-wise? I have been really considering activating it for the extra piece of mind while traveling.

I'm sure holland can tell you more, but I know that onstar can locate and disable a stolen vehicle. One of the main reasons I keep the service.

MrHolland
11-12-12, 07:53 PM
With OnStar you can also use your mobile phone as a key fob, a feature I especially enjoy. You can send driving direction directly to the car from your phone or computer after you customize the route of travel to your liking. The system can do many more things also, but what Mr Lee88 mentioned, the above that I mentioned along with knowing my wife is safe with OnStar make it worth it to me. Figure out the pros and cons and how you'll use it. Some will say its overpriced and you can get more with an aftermarket set up. It just depended on the person and their own personal needs. OnStar is negotiable if you're one to negotiate. Good luck with your decision!!!

evois
11-13-12, 10:57 AM
as for the seats being stolen, I have bought a device that locks it in place.

hannity
11-13-12, 10:33 PM
Went into your glove box and opened the tailgate?[COLOR="Silver"]

That's not where the button is. Hmmmm

You completely missed what I wrote I realize not everyone has the same capacity so here goes.

Someone broke into my truck, they went into my glove box. (they left it open)
Someone one opened my tailgate (they left it open)
Someone stole my third row seats (the 3rd row seats were gone)

Can't break it down anymore than that.

johnpg
11-13-12, 10:47 PM
In his defense, the sentence in question could have been worded differently and commas placed better. "They went into my glove box and my opened my tail gate, stole the 3rd row seats". Probably should have been, They went into my glove box, opened my tail gate and stole the 3rd row seats. Something like that.

On topic: The Viper alarm I have goes off whenever any doors are opened, so getting in through the door handle will back fire. I also have the tilt sensor which is very sensitive. Lift the truck above an inch and it goes off. Cost about 400 total for parts and labor. Totally worth it and everyone should have one. Hopefully the newer alarms are better or they have fixed this door handle BS. My EXT is an 07

wesyder
11-13-12, 11:16 PM
In his defense, the sentence in question could have been worded differently and commas placed better. "They went into my glove box and my opened my tail gate, stole the 3rd row seats". Probably should have been, They went into my glove box, opened my tail gate and stole the 3rd row seats. Something like that.

On topic: The Viper alarm I have goes off whenever any doors are opened, so getting in through the door handle will back fire. I also have the tilt sensor which is very sensitive. Lift the truck above an inch and it goes off. Cost about 400 total for parts and labor. Totally worth it and everyone should have one. Hopefully the newer alarms are better or they have fixed this door handle BS. My EXT is an 07

They go for the door handle because it disarms the factory alarm simulating you unlocking the door with the key thats why your alarm didn't go off. i went into my door and disabled that wire so that the factory alarm would not disarm, even if you used the key to unlock the door you must have the fob, but i have since installed a viper with smart start and gps tracking

lee88
11-14-12, 08:23 AM
You completely missed what I wrote I realize not everyone has the same capacity so here goes.

Someone broke into my truck, they went into my glove box. (they left it open)
Someone one opened my tailgate (they left it open)
Someone stole my third row seats (the 3rd row seats were gone)

Can't break it down anymore than that.

No I think you've never owned an escalade and finally got caught!

That's not how the sentence read.

Trolls 😏

hannity
11-14-12, 12:50 PM
No I think you've never owned an escalade and finally got caught!

That's not how the sentence read.

Trolls 

If that is what you want to believe that is perfectly fine with me.

lee88
11-14-12, 01:01 PM
If that is what you want to believe that is perfectly fine with me.

The truth hurts:)

Biig O
11-20-12, 10:05 PM
as for the seats being stolen, I have bought a device that locks it in place.
Please share

ESCALADE132
11-24-12, 12:15 AM
Hannity is a poser

hannity
11-24-12, 03:24 AM
Please share

http://www.sdcda.org/preventing/auto-theft/ratt-tales-mar-2011.pdf

Click the picture

http://img250.imagevenue.com/loc404/th_741618584_Untitled_122_404lo.jpg (http://img250.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=741618584_Untitled_122_404lo.jpg)

Spkey
11-21-13, 11:01 AM
Which Viper alarm is a good one?