: What should i do to prepare my car for the winter?

MattHatlee
11-10-12, 10:40 PM
I have a 2003 Cadillac STS. What should I do to keep it in good condition during the winter. By the way. It is kept outside. (My parents have to much stuff in the garage) thank you in advance for all the advice. It is greatly appreciated.

gary88
11-10-12, 10:44 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/community-lounge-introductions-general-discussion/273918-winter-storage-tips.html

drewsdeville
11-11-12, 01:43 AM
I don't think he's asking about storing it, though he doesn't specify.

Assuming that you'll be driving it, most of it is self-explanatory. Make sure tires and brakes are in good condition. Glance at the underbody and check for any major corrosion - ice and snow hanging off of rusty fuel/brake lines driving through deep snow with a rusty exhaust can create come problems. Everything should be solid. If you are unsure of the coolant condition and you can't remember the last time it was changed, change it. If it's been changed recently, just test it to confirm safe protection.

Submariner409
11-11-12, 11:27 AM
:yeah:......... and if the battery (under the passenger side rear seat) is more than 5 years old, consider installing a new Group 79 battery and checking the vent tube manifold that carries off charging gases - it goes through a grommet in the floor pan. One good, cold night can kill a weak battery. You push back on the rear seat pad and lift strongly at the same time. The connector for the heated rear seats is on the passenger side - disconnect it - it doesn't have much slack once you lift that seat a tad.

Also, consider keeping the fuel tank nearly full if the car will sit for more than 2 or 3 days. The tank vent on these cars goes through a charcoal canister, but a full tank causes less air movement due to expansion and contraction thus lessening the chance of getting condensation moisture in the tank - and ethanol-based fuel simply LOVES water.

dkozloski
11-11-12, 03:15 PM
Where are you located? What temperatures are you anticipating; 45 above or 45 below zero?