: Oil leaks

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-10-12, 07:40 PM
Have any of you guys had rear main seal leaks or any other leaks from the lower end of the motor? What was the cost of those repairs? I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm up against :/ Thanks

EChas3
11-10-12, 09:22 PM
Are you sure it's a rear main seal? I think other causes are more common.

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-10-12, 09:29 PM
No E I'm not sure just asking is all. I think awhile back when I got the oil changed they said it could be the crank I think?

Ludacrisvp
11-10-12, 10:00 PM
Oil Leak? ... What oil leak? ... That puddle under the car is just sweat from all that horsepower.
:)

Perhaps next time you are there see if they will show you and you can take some photos?
Also are we talking a leak? or more like seepage?

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-10-12, 10:06 PM
Lol Luda the bottom of the motor used to only be wet with oil but now it's dripping on the driveway

----------

Like 3 spots on the driveway that are like 2" diameter

Ludacrisvp
11-11-12, 06:47 AM
Lol Luda the bottom of the motor used to only be wet with oil but now it's dripping on the driveway

----------

Like 3 spots on the driveway that are like 2" diameter

Based on where you park and assuming its a completely level surface can you tell where it's dripping from? If you park on a hill it may be coming from one spot on the motor and dripping from a place that is ok.

You can clean it up then add a dye to the oil to use to find out where it's coming from.

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-11-12, 07:25 AM
Ok I'll try parking in the garage, the driveway has a slight slope to it

dkozloski
11-11-12, 12:47 PM
It's not leaking until you can't get enough oil in it to get to where you're going.

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-11-12, 01:49 PM
Lol ok koz that's what I'm going with ;)

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-14-12, 04:53 PM
Ok I parked the car on a level surface for awhile. The oil pan is covered with oil. The reason I noticed multiple spots is because its running down both sides of the sub frame. Maybe I'll get lucky and it's only the oil pan gasket.

truckinman
11-14-12, 04:59 PM
Ok I parked the car on a level surface for awhile. The oil pan is covered with oil. The reason I noticed multiple spots is because its running down both sides of the sub frame. Maybe I'll get lucky and it's only the oil pan gasket.

That's what I'd guess if only your pan is wet

Ludacrisvp
11-14-12, 05:29 PM
Sounds like it might not be as bad as you were thinking.

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-14-12, 07:29 PM
I hope that's all it is

pedrolaval
04-06-13, 08:31 AM
How it is cost to repairand change an oil pan gasket, Do they have to take off the transmission ?
thank you for the answer

Submariner409
04-06-13, 08:50 AM
pedrolaval, What year is your STS ? Oil pan work is different for the new 2005 and later models. You also appear to be located in Europe, so that also makes a difference.

Please reply in this thread, and if necessary, I will move your question to the proper forum. Please update your profile to show the model and year of your car.

pedrolaval
04-09-13, 07:03 PM
I'm in Canada, in Laval city Quebec Province, the car is a STS 2008 RWD V8N*
Thank you for your answer

ddalder
04-09-13, 09:10 PM
I'm in Canada, in Laval city Quebec Province, the car is a STS 2008 RWD V8N*
Thank you for your answer
Keep in mind that your engine is a different beast than the one being discussed here by the OP. It isn't reasonable to try and make a comparison between repairing the 3.6L and the 4.6L. If your problem is the rear main seal, the transmission must come out to replace it. You really need to determine the source with certainty before anyone will be able to provide a meaningful answer to cost or time involved.

pedrolaval
04-10-13, 06:26 PM
I live in Canada in Laval city near Montreal, quebec, My STS is a 2008 RWD V8 4,6