: Rattling sound from the dash & when turning

docjay
11-10-12, 08:12 PM
Are you experiencing any rattling noise around the speedometer at slower speeds (10-30 mph) when going on roughly paved roads? It bothers me VERY much because the car's cabin is so quiet otherwise. Also, when making sharp turns in a parking garage, there is this clicking noise from around the tires.

I took it to the dealer, and they said they fixed this along with about 6 recalls. Unfortunately, the rattling and the noise during turns are still present despite some major work on the axle.

DG2
11-11-12, 11:48 AM
Very disappointed to hear this. For a car company that is trying to dethrone BMW they have to do better especially in this department. GM lost too many customers for annoying rattles and creeks. The German and Japanese would like nothing better then for the newest top of line Cadillac to have creeks and rattles like a 1980 model. Please , Cadillac engineers and UAW leadership fix this fast. !!

BreakThrough
11-11-12, 01:45 PM
I had a clicking noise in the front wheels on my CTS-V coupe (which I still have) which occurred at full lock while parking, and it was cured through replacement of the front rotors with a different rotors of different composite, which eliminated the clicking. That said, it took quite a while to diagnose what the problem was for affected cars, and of course doesn't mean that is the problem on your XTS, or if it occurs on more XTS's. I pick mine up tomorrow, i shall keep a watch out.

CAPT Mike
11-11-12, 06:08 PM
You hear the rattling with the windows closed? It must be unbelievably loud with the windows down. Did you return and demonstrate for the dealer/service person/?
It must be something unique to your vehicle like something is loose and hitting the rotor or wheel itself when turning. Whatever it is, informing us on the forum to keep an eye on our xts's is fine, but you need to bug your dealer regarding the problem. Your report back to this forum regarding your dealer's actions will be appreciated.

docjay
11-16-12, 01:20 PM
BreakThrough: Thanks for letting me know what it was on your CTS. I let the dealership know to look out for that too.

Mike: I hear the rattling on the dash when the windows are up, not the clicking noise by the wheels. Two separate issues. I've taken it back to the dealer and demo'd the sounds and the car has been there for a few days now.

My volume simultaneously went up on my radio to max and every time I'd bring it back down, it'd go back up to max. So I mentioned that and they are saying they need the car until Tuesday because they had to order a new radio...

Cadjiek
11-16-12, 02:28 PM
Doc,

My dashboad made a rattle today. I was stopping while on rough pavement. Sounded like plastic vibrating. When I got home I started hitting areas around the dash with my fist. Then I hit the side if the counsel where yourright knee area is. I heard what I beleive to be the culprit. The storge door on the left side of the dash is vibrating. I have heard it a couple of times while driving. Next time Iam on the same stretch of pavement I will keep my hand on that storage door and see what happens. Does yours sound like vibrating plastic too!??

Cadjiek

Cadjiek
11-19-12, 12:14 PM
The fold down storge door was it for me. I took a little piece of adhesive backed felt the kind you put under furniture legs and stuck on the left inside edge of the door. Right where it lines up with the little rubber nipple. When I first heard it I thought it was the clear plastic lens that covers the gauges. It shows you how sound travesl around in a car.

docjay
11-20-12, 03:36 AM
The fold down storge door was it for me. I took a little piece of adhesive backed felt the kind you put under furniture legs and stuck on the left inside edge of the door. Right where it lines up with the little rubber nipple. When I first heard it I thought it was the clear plastic lens that covers the gauges. It shows you how sound travesl around in a car.

I'm supposed to pick it up from the dealer tomorrow. I suspect the problem won't be fixed. If not, I'd really love to see pictures of what you've done to fix it. I'll report back. I got a new cue system coming tomorrow to solve the spontaneous increasing radio volume.