: 97 catera wont shift

thatgurllizz
11-10-12, 02:39 AM
Just wanted to post this in hopes it might help someone else out. I purchased a 97 catera yesterday and it seemed as if it was driving great. Then today, it would not shift gears automatically. It would however shift manually. Earlier I had notice a new light on the dash that looked like an s with a circle around it. Turns out I had accidentally hit the button on the shifter makijg the car go into sport mode. All I had to do was press the button on the top of the shifter again and the light went off along with the car shiftiny automatically again. I thought my transmission was gone but it was just the sport button! Hope this helps somebody!

MoistCabbage
11-10-12, 02:20 PM
The "Sport" button should make the transmission hold gears longer, not keep it from shifting automatically.

Was the light on steady, or blinking?

kaustein
11-10-12, 05:51 PM
Read owners manual...and save up some money.

gvjv3
11-10-12, 07:01 PM
The S bottom is for sport drive, it makes the car start in 3th gear, for more power, if not press, car starts in first gear, if the car has hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd when cold, try changing the trans fluid and filter, thats what work for me.

MoistCabbage
11-10-12, 07:41 PM
it makes the car start in 3th gear, for more powerWhat???

investor74
11-10-12, 09:37 PM
The S bottom is for sport drive, it makes the car start in 3th gear, for more power, if not press, car starts in first gear, if the car has hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd when cold, try changing the trans fluid and filter, thats what work for me.

Not to jump in here, but to avoid further confusion in this thread, let's distinguish between the "sport mode" (s button on the shifter) which gives more responsive downshifts and the "snow" button (on the center console) which gives a third gear start. :duck:The s button holds the gears to a higher RPM when accelerating while the snow button (which looks like a snowflake) delivers less torque to the wheels in snow when starting so that you don't spin the wheels.

elvin315
11-12-12, 11:31 PM
SPORT raises the transmission shift point to redline (6500 RPM) in all 4 gears. SNOW blocks 1st & 2nd gears and begins movement in 3rd gear. This limits torque to rear wheels in snowy or icy conditions. It disengages once 30 MPH is reached. Snow will have to be reengaged at next dead start unlike SPORT which disengages by repressing sport button or engine shut off.