: underchassis undercoating does itwork or reduce salt rusting?

evois
11-08-12, 10:39 PM
escalade in the snowbelt,have you guys used undercoating in your rigs? did it help reduce or prevent rusting? which company did you guys used? thanks!

Royalton
11-09-12, 08:23 PM
My car has sat in salt water when my island floods and still good as new, happens a few times a year. The undercoatings is a thick almost like patrolium jelly coat on the whole undercarge, its like greece. I did not put this on so I do not know what kind it is. Im sure some undercoating services are some guy and a spray can, others are heavy duty so It depends on what they do I'd have to say.

Redpost
11-10-12, 06:12 PM
There are pros and cons to undercoating products and I'd say it also depends on what products are used to treat the roads in your area during the winter. Years ago companies like Ziebart and Rusty Jones offered full treatments of chassis and body, including inside the door panels and in lower rockers. Some held up well, in other cases the undercoating was alleged to have accelerated rust formation because it retained moisture and caused rusting from the inside out, or was not applied properly. On the last few vehicles I've owned I have treated the wheelwells and splash areas of the underbody and frame with either spray undercoating or one of the liquid bedliner products. Those are the areas whose paint/coating is prone to being abraded off by road sand and salt. It acts more as a sacrificial agent for a few years before the paint starts to deteriorate.

I noticed that in the last three years since the state and local highway departments migrated away from a sand/salt mixture to all salt, the latter is much more aggressive in forming rust and I saw rust areas forming on steel parts my four year old truck that looked more like what I would expect to see after ten years in the snowy North. It does not help that the factory installs more unpainted chassis parts as well these days. On my new truck I spent a couple of weekends painting the unpainted parts and applying liquid bedliner to the areas behind both rear wheels.

Other than frequent rinsing of the chassis during the winter that's all I plan to do.

evois
11-10-12, 11:52 PM
well, thanks for the input! after the dealership lifted the escalade, looked underneath and the body itself is clean and painted. I nearly cancelled the spray. the only visible exposed ares where the chassis and bolts. those got painted.

west-coast-escalade
02-01-13, 02:59 PM
in Norway tectylere (wax) the car chassis. must do so, since it is salted all winter.103230103231