: Wild Parrots, any in your neighborhood?

orconn
11-08-12, 06:30 PM
While i haven't lived in Los Angeles in many years, I remember the massive flock of brilliant green parrots that would occasionally fly over my house. At the time this flock of parrots must have numbered in the several hundreds and when they were in the air they couldn't be missed because of their bright green color, loud squawking and the very strange "Keystone Cop" look to the way they flew.

These were not parakeets but green parrots about the size of a an ordinary pigeon, but with shorter tails.

Back in the eighties I used to see this flock go over three or four times a year. At the time it was reported that the flock was resident in a condemned swath of South Central Los Angeles that was awaiting a freeway to be built.

Today they say Pasadena is home to a large parrot flock, but from what I have seen of that bunch they are smaller and not so noisy as the West Los Angeles flock.

The-Dullahan
11-08-12, 06:35 PM
:pwn: ...?

In Pennsylvania I had murders of Ravens numbering in the hundreds. Of course, this is due to being in The Holy Land.

Also, had lots of turkeys.

In Florida, I have Sandhill Cranes which are large, silly-looking birds that block the roadways, lots of Vultures and a single American Bald Eagle, which lives at my job, because it likes us.

I have SEEN a Parrot just sort of out in the wild here once. Not in my town, but in business district of Downtown Orlando, there was an African Grey Parrot just sort of hanging out with no sign of an owner nearby.

bigm57ict
11-09-12, 11:01 AM
This time of year, the Ravens flock together so thick, they'll make a bare tree all black as well as covering surrounding power lines.

Around my part of town, our roads get blocked by flocks of Canadian Geese. They don't mind the cars at all - just take their own sweet time crossing the street. In a line. One at a time...

No parrots in KS, except maybe the occasional escaped pet.

Stingroo
11-09-12, 01:15 PM
In Deerfield Beach, FL, where I used to live, there was this one particular street corner across from my dad's friend's restaurant where "wild" parrots (likely just released by owners who did not realize how long they could live, etc) would gather. On any given night you could see the most exotic of birds. I distinctly remember a pair of Scarlet Macaws that stuck together and always perched themselves on top of the sign in front of his business around sunset.

330GT
11-09-12, 01:21 PM
While i haven't lived in Los Angeles in many years, I remember the massive flock of brilliant green parrots that would occasionally fly over my house. At the time this flock of parrots must have numbered in the several hundreds and when they were in the air they couldn't be missed because of their bright green color, loud squawking and the very strange "Keystone Cop" look to the way they flew.

These were not parakeets but green parrots about the size of a an ordinary pigeon, but with shorter tails.

Back in the eighties I used to see this flock go over three or four times a year. At the time it was reported that the flock was resident in a condemned swath of South Central Los Angeles that was awaiting a freeway to be built.

Today they say Pasadena is home to a large parrot flock, but from what I have seen of that bunch they are smaller and not so noisy as the West Los Angeles flock.

I'm not sure about LA, but it's being said that there's a flock in LB area. In Orange County, there's a few in the Cypress area (10-less than 20) that fly over our place regularly and that group goes to the Circle in downtown Orange where they spend most of their time. There's a smaller flock (8-15 sometimes less) that's around the Federal building in downtown Santa Ana but they're not regulars. Yes, they are loud but great to have around us in such a densely populated area.

CadillacLuke24
11-09-12, 03:36 PM
I didn't know parrots were wild like this! Kinda cool :D

vernlittlefarmer
11-09-12, 11:34 PM
First Post from a New member, about parrots! (Just joined after getting some excellent help on an oil pan gasket issue, saving me a lot of $) Having lived in Southern Cal since my birth in 1948, I was among the Pasadena City College students in 1966 to 68 to see the very first two of the bright green parrots in Southern California, a Mexican species identified by a red spot on each wing. The two new residents were flying back and forth with nesting materials to fix up a honeymoon cottage atop "C Building" on the campus. Rumor was they'd made a jail break from their cage during a fire in a Pasadena Pet shop. (Alternate version I heard a couple of years later was a cage fell off of a truck coming back from Tijuana, but tehy were popular enough to get some newspaper articles with photos.) by the next year mom and pop were flying around to "Shop Pasadena" with 3 To 4 young'ns. A couple of years later the flock was a couple dozen. Every winter they'd disappear back to Mexico, to return in the Spring. Before long I'd see one of several flocks anywhere in Los Angeles County and Inland. They seem to return only to areas where there are ample food sources like walnut and carob trees, so replanting newer decorative trees has forced them to seek food elsewhere. Around '76 I was living in an apartment northwest of Pasadena City College when woke on a Saturday am to loud squawking just outside my street view window. Around 100 were completely filling a carob tree out by the street, and they were well into breakfast, tearing up and eating carob pods, some even crawling upside down along slender branches. Glad to know their fan club has grown over the years. If you ever hear high pitched squeeknig going over look quick and you might see some of their relatives. Oh yeah: We have a Pearlescent-White 1996 Seville SLS Northstar which we love to take to see my wife's college friends in San Diego, and relatives up Bakersfield (Their area is called, no joke, "Green Acres". If you've never heard of it put that in YouTube)

talismandave
11-10-12, 12:03 AM
Cadillac Owners Forum...come for the oil pan gasket...stay for the parrots!:lol:

:welcome5:

dkozloski
11-10-12, 12:30 AM
No parrots but lots of ravens. Around here they stand about two feet tall and have about a 4 1/2 ft. wing span. They hang around McDonalds, Taco Bell, and the landfill during the day but KFC not so much . They spend the night and make a hell of a mess at Lowe's garden/outdoor department which is closed in the winter but are up bright and early to go foraging at the fast food places. Winter, summer, -50F, they're out there going about their business.

The-Dullahan
11-10-12, 01:21 AM
Ravens > Parrots.

Smarter, Nicer, Prettier.

In fact, I named my Cadillac after one.

Aron9000
11-10-12, 04:25 AM
No parrots in Tennessee, but there is a huge colony of ferral cats at my one buddy's work. Probably 20 of those buggers that have lived in that area for over a decade according to his co-workers who have been there a while. The warehouse where he works backs up to some woods which then backs up to a really nasty trailer park, which is where I'm assuming the fresh kitties come from to keep the colony alive.

ben.gators
11-10-12, 06:42 AM
http://slackstack.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/AsISeeIt-13.png

Jesda
11-10-12, 10:52 PM
Yes but I ate them.

orconn
11-10-12, 11:33 PM
^^^ A Siamese parrot eater among us! Will wonders never cease?

EcSTSatic
11-12-12, 04:32 PM
No parrots, but two summers ago we were driving out to the boat and saw a peacock out in a farmer's field. The zoo is about 15-20 miles from there so I thought he escaped. When I called the zoo they said none of theirs were missing and that it was not uncommon to see peacock in Kansas! :hmm:

MrHolland
11-12-12, 04:44 PM
Ravens > Parrots.

Smarter, Nicer, Prettier.

In fact, I named my Cadillac after one.
Sam?!?!?!???

CadillacLuke24
11-12-12, 06:24 PM
Sam?!?!?!???

Wut?

Koooop
11-12-12, 08:13 PM
There are a ton of parrots in orange county. Damn things bird poop is so acidic that it burns the concrete in your yard or the paint on your car in minutes. One pooed on my Vette a couple weeks ago, I had it washed off in 5 minutes, but the damage is done.

EcSTSatic
11-13-12, 01:25 PM
There are a ton of parrots in orange county. Damn things bird poop is so acidic that it burns the concrete in your yard or the paint on your car in minutes. One pooed on my Vette a couple weeks ago, I had it washed off in 5 minutes, but the damage is done.

Pigeons are just as bad. Ruined shingles on my roof. I eliminated them around my place with my trusty Crosman pellet pistol with scope.

GizmoQ
11-16-12, 01:57 AM
Had a small flock of parrots in southern Austin, TX for quite a while. Bet the construction of Circuit of Americas ran the out.

talismandave
11-16-12, 03:32 AM
In Florida, I have Sandhill Cranes which are large, silly-looking birds that block the roadways....

The International Crane Foundation is 40 miles north of me here and is responsible for re-populating the Sandhill Crane and using ultralight aircraft to teach them to migrate to FL.
So...um...you're...welcome?... :noidea:

Around here...lot of wild turkeys, cranes, bald eagles, and falcons. Non of which we ever saw in the 70's when we moved here. I almost got a peregrine falcon in the face wed afternoon at my folks house. we both came to the corner of the house at the same time, me heading to backyard, him trying to land on railing next to sidewalk. Were about 3 feet apart, not sure which of us was more shocked.(But he took off much faster than I did.)

vincentm
11-16-12, 05:13 PM
My mom had a pair of macaws growing up, meanest, crankiest sons of bitches id ever met.

CadillacLuke24
11-16-12, 05:37 PM
Did you learn that the hard way?

talismandave
11-16-12, 06:57 PM
My mom had a pair of macaws growing up, meanest, crankiest sons of bitches id ever met.

You are talking about the birds I hope....