: cataclean info

eldoedwardo
11-08-12, 01:49 PM
Hello everyone, I just saw this product on powerblock site. Its called cataclean by prestolite. It has recieved great remarks from the car mags. but I won't believe anything until its been pushed around here. Has there been a comparison against techron yet? How can something strong enough to clean cats and injecters be safe for sensors? Will there still be enough oil film in the cylinders to guard the rings and walls? Is Techron safe or does it strip the oil off those parts also?I use techron 20 oz one time in between oil changes/100%-5% life.Am I doing myN* good or hurtin' it? Setting at 128K it's a daily driver,and most of the time it gets 1,000 miles a month, unless I'm skirt chasin'. Well I've said enough.:thumbsup: thanks in advance...Ed

Ranger
11-08-12, 10:14 PM
If that stuff is real strong, I'd be more worried about it destroying the insulation on the injector and fuel pump windings. I don't use any additives and have never had a problem, but if you are so inclined, stick with Techron.

SC2150
11-09-12, 09:48 AM
Have to agree w/Ranger. We have a injector cleaning/flow matching machine and we see over use of "clearners" destry the injectors quite often.

eldoedwardo
11-09-12, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys, do you think a 20 oz in 20 gal in a 5000 mi regiment is too much?Will a bad injector show up on a check engine light?
Thanks again for your reply..Ed

Ranger
11-09-12, 10:41 AM
According to the manufacturer, that is not too much. Personally, I see no need for it, but to each his own.

Injectors are not monitored so they will not trip the check engine light, but would cause a misfire that will set a P0300 (misfire detected) code and trip the light. Then it's up to you to figure out what caused it.

Submariner409
11-09-12, 10:53 AM
TECHRON is a component of Top Tier gasolines. Used as directed it will not harm the injectors or upper cylinder/piston ring oil film. As you posted, a 20 oz. bottle once in 5,000 miles is more than enough, especially if you run Top Tier.

Every time you dump some additive into gas or oil you also increase the cost per mile to drive the car - does the cost of the additive save you MORE than the so-called increase in "power and mileage" ???

I dump a bit of TECHRON in the car/truck once in a long while, but I run Shell gasolines, so that's covered. I DO use TECHRON and fuel stabilizer in the log splitter, chain saws, lawn mowers, 4-cycle leaf blower and tractor - but those are operated and stored under some horrendous conditions - apples and oranges.

To paraphrase SC2150: "In the automotive engine field, if a little is good, more is usually harmful."

CadillacLuke24
11-09-12, 02:20 PM
To paraphrase SC2150: "In the automotive engine field, if a little is good, more is usually harmful."

Does this apply to Northstar WOT operation? :duck: :stirpot:

tateos
11-14-12, 08:57 PM
This is interesting - I came across this while researching a P0420 code on my wife's 2004 Grand Prix. I did what he suggested (1 gallon lacquer thinner = $19.65), cleared the code, it didn't come back in the next few days before my wife got t-boned last Monday and totaled the car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE