: towing 24 x 8 enclosed car trailer

2MCHPWR
11-08-12, 07:29 AM
sup - i have been towing my 18 ft open trailer all year with no issues.
it weighs about 5500 lbs with car and gear.
Might get enclosed trailer over winter which would bring total weight to about 7000 lbs.

Typically using the trailer once a month for 2-3 hour drive to race track on friday. come back sunday. Not usually a flat drive (mountainous sections in the north east).

Escalade has separate transmission cooler (no longer integrated with radiator) and new transmission from Aamco.
New rear arnott/bilstein shocks and compressor.
I would purchase a good load leveling hitch from Draw-Tite or Reese and anti-sway bars before doing the long trips if I decide to use the escalade.

Tires are brand new Falcon Rocky Mountain with the higher load rating than the normal version of the tire (121 SR versus 113 S for the normal version).

Tow rating is 8100 lbs so 7000 should be acceptable. Who has done this and what is your experience?

wesyder
11-08-12, 09:00 AM
sup - i have been towing my 18 ft open trailer all year with no issues.
it weighs about 5500 lbs with car and gear.
Might get enclosed trailer over winter which would bring total weight to about 7000 lbs.

Typically using the trailer once a month for 2-3 hour drive to race track on friday. come back sunday. Not usually a flat drive (mountainous sections in the north east).

Escalade has separate transmission cooler (no longer integrated with radiator) and new transmission from Aamco.
New rear arnott/bilstein shocks and compressor.
I would purchase a good load leveling hitch from Draw-Tite or Reese and anti-sway bars before doing the long trips if I decide to use the escalade.

Tires are brand new Falcon Rocky Mountain with the higher load rating than the normal version of the tire (121 SR versus 113 S for the normal version).

Tow rating is 8100 lbs so 7000 should be acceptable. Who has done this and what is your experience?

Don't forget the brake controller,i have the tekonsha prodigy p2. i have towed that size enclosed to vegas which is 250 miles from me a number of times with no issues, i have the long wheel base awd 6.0, no leveling hitch or sway control but it wouldn't hurt to have, kinda nervous pulling grades but no overheating so i guess it was ok, I'm in California so its far from flat here. Hope that helps

2MCHPWR
11-08-12, 09:21 AM
awesome. thats what i wanted to see. real life experiences.
I do have a brake controller too :)
Curious if the long wheel base version that you have (I guess built on suburban chassis) makes a difference? Mine is normal version (tahoe).

the cadillac man
11-08-12, 10:53 AM
Curious if the long wheel base version that you have (I guess built on suburban chassis) makes a difference? Mine is normal version (tahoe).

It don't make much of a difference as the power train is the same(all wheel drive only)

wesyder
11-08-12, 12:48 PM

The short wheel base towing capacity is 200 lbs more than mine