: Which Tires provide a quieter ride ???

Rushnack
11-08-12, 04:39 AM
I have a 2008 STS 3.6 RWD..My ride has Michelin's on it with very good tread.. It seems that I am experiencing alot of road noise and I wonder if the type of tires may be a contributor ???

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-08-12, 09:24 AM
Maybe so, I've nothing good at all about the michelins

----------

*heard

1BadCadSTS
11-08-12, 10:02 AM
Conti dws

BulldogDaddy
11-08-12, 10:39 AM
Gotta go with 1Bad on this one. Just put Conti DWS's all around couple weeks back, and the difference is AMAZING! Had some worthless F1's on it when I picked up the car in March, and they were AWFUL. These baby's ride beautiful, grip great, and are nearly silent!

carter's_sts
11-08-12, 11:35 AM
Agreed. Put those on my V and they are excellent.

malatu
11-08-12, 12:00 PM
Conti dws

I concur. A quite ride is one of my top criteria in selecting tires. I am very, very please with this set of tires.

Sidewayz6.0
11-08-12, 04:16 PM
For what it's worth, I had 2 sets of Conti DWS' on my '06 STS and loved them. I have the stock Michelins on my '11 STS, and I can't wait for replacement time...I'll go with the Conti's again.

carter's_sts
11-08-12, 05:49 PM
The guy at the tire store told me the DWSs are the only tires he's seen Consumer Reports rate the highest in all categories

I didn't verify that myself.

EChas3
11-08-12, 10:59 PM
If you never see snow, the DW's are even better.

carter's_sts
11-08-12, 11:10 PM
I wish I never saw snow. Ha!

fly187
11-09-12, 12:57 PM
Just put a set of Bridgestone Turanza Sernity Plus on my STS. Love the ride, traction, braking. though haven't had them in the rain yet.

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-09-12, 04:37 PM
Just put a set of Bridgestone Turanza Sernity Plus on my STS. Love the ride, traction, braking. though haven't had them in the rain yet.

I have those too and I like them but that's all I know, they were on the car when I bought it

ddalder
11-09-12, 05:27 PM
I've been a pretty hard core Michelin consumer most of my life, but I have to agree that the Michelin/STS mix is like oil and water on the STS. I didn't care for the road noise at all with the original tires. I have a set of Michelin Sport A/S Plus on my Bonneville and really like them. They are very quiet and give me a great ride. So... I thought I'd try a set on my STS. I have to say I'm still very disappointed. Many people have commented on how much louder my STS is inside than my Bonneville (for low speed, in town driving). Of course this makes me wonder how much is the design of the STS.

I'm definitely going to look for an alternative when I need to purchase tires again.

Rushnack
11-09-12, 11:31 PM
On that note as well, I wondered also about the STS design.. Maybe not enough sound deadining if you will... Was also wondering if my STS should get some sort of undercoating sprayed on to help ???

ddalder
11-09-12, 11:41 PM
Interestingly, the STS has a lot more acoustical insulation than my Bonneville. In many respects it is much quieter. What seems to happen is that more low frequency noise passes through into the cabin. Higher frequency noise is better insulated than the Bonneville. I'm not sure what the best solution for this is. The carpet in the STS has very thick and dense foam, there is more tar based sound deadening material applied to the sheet metal than many other vehicles I've seen, along with a variety of other materials throughout the car. My car does have what looks like a limited amount of undercoating applied to the underside of the body. Without looking again I can't explain why, but there was some reason that made me think this was a factory application.

Rushnack
11-09-12, 11:51 PM
That being said maybe I dont need to add more material on the underside, just swap the tires out when the time comes... The Michelin's have alot of thread left on them...The road noise is the distraction tho.. My GF has a 2005 Subaru wagon and it seems quieter...

ddalder
11-09-12, 11:57 PM
I'd agree with the tire approach. It seems there are better solutions. I'm just a little disappointed with Michelin over this. Adding more sound barrier is okay, but without selecting the correct product and location(s) for the frequency of noise you're trying to eliminate, you may throw a lot of money at this with no measurable gain.

mckellyb
11-10-12, 07:26 AM
Chalk up another very strong positive vote for the Continental DWS shoes.

They are great tires. Even with my abuse, the rears will last 40K miles. They're warrantied for 50K, but I'm not the original purchaser, and for the first several months, and even occasionally, now, I have a heavy right foot.

At least with the limited-slip diff, they wear out evenly.

:p

curtc
11-10-12, 04:59 PM
Another vote for the Conti DWS's...Great tire and not bank breaking like those overrated, overpriced, Michelin's....Had a set on my CTS and the STS came with them (previous owner had good taste), love them!

mckellyb
11-10-12, 05:08 PM
curtc and I lucked into cars which has smart PO's!

BucShot
12-03-12, 10:11 PM
Conti dws

Agreed 100%. Best in class for comfort.

C&C
12-04-12, 07:25 AM
Some of you guys have almost convinced me to give the Conti's a try; does the soft quiet ride impinge much on handling. While not a canyon racer, I do like a firm connected road feel.

curtc
12-04-12, 01:10 PM
The Conti's are very sticky and definitely hold their own around corners, I will be buying a new set come spring time for sure.

C&C
12-04-12, 03:11 PM
Thanks Curt. Any other opinions?

curtc
12-04-12, 04:12 PM
Also are backed by a 50k mile tread warranty...Excellent in the rain as well.

EChas3
12-04-12, 08:29 PM
I love my 235/50R18's on my AWD but depending on how the car is optioned I might opt for 255/45's. With other wheels, who knows?