: Pondering an XTS (or MKS)

hwitten
11-08-12, 01:50 AM
I currently have a 2011 MKZ and while quite happy with the car I plan to get a full size 2013.

One of the main reasons is that I want to tow a small trailer, under 1000 lbs. (The MKZ doesn't allow 'any' towing).

I have looked and driven the MKX and am also waiting to look at the SRX as an alternative.
The MKX was too SUV-like, I.e. not sufficiently comfortable. I expect the SRX to be similar but will wait to see/drive one.

I don't care about "sport". I don't want an "aggressive" vehicle.
I want a car that will pamper me with comfort. One that will glide over the railroad crossing without jarring teeth.

Maybe the days of the car I want are gone, but hopefully not.
Sorry to be rambling about the SRX but I'm hoping that maybe someone travelled this road already.

If I'm right, with the SRX I would be giving up too much "ride comfort" so the XTS Platinum seems to be a logical choice to explorer further.

Has anyone installed a hitch on a Cadillac Sedan? The XTS even?

I usually keep my cars for many years. Still drive my 2001 Buick.
While there may be some risk involved in getting a vehicle that has just recently come into being with fresh electronics, I think I'm going to take that chance as this may very well be a car that will last me a while and could easily be my last new car purchase unless I win the lottery.

So basically, has someone perhaps started researching the SRX and ended up with the XTS that is willing to share the "why".

CAPT Mike
11-08-12, 04:25 PM
Keep in mind that you cannot compare the "SUV/Soccer Mom Mobile" with a sedan. It doesn't matter if you are comparing Cadillacs, Lincolns or BMW's. The ride is different and the sedan is just a bit more luxurious. As far as XTS towing capacity, it's 1000 lbs; may be a little more with AWD. Your Lincoln counterpart is the equivalent to the Taurus just as its SUV is equivalent to the Edge. Towing capacity is similar. If this is going to be your "last new car," don't rely on a forum for ideas/decisions. Go drive each one; ask the towing capacity question by telling the salesperson that you want them to throw in the highest capacity hitch. And then make up your mind. My XTS Premium AWD is my "touring Sedan." My '04 Corvette is the "old man's toy." And my '04 F-150 is my tow vehicle.

DG2
11-08-12, 04:30 PM
Sounds like you may want Escalade if towing is great importance.

droptopron
11-08-12, 04:53 PM
Sounds like you may want Escalade if towing is great importance.

He said that the trailer is under 1K lbs. You don't need an Escalade for that.

hwitten
11-08-12, 08:21 PM
Unfortunately (for me) I have to make one vehicle do it all :)
Even the occasional trip to the dump (with trailer).

Guess I'll start test driving once some choices are available at local dealers.

DG2
11-08-12, 09:55 PM
He said that the trailer is under 1K lbs. You don't need an Escalade for that.

Good point. Under a 1k load , any car can handle that. My 50cc Puch moped can pull that !!!

Black Beauty DTS
11-08-12, 10:58 PM
I currently have a 2011 MKZ and while quite happy with the car I plan to get a full size 2013.

One of the main reasons is that I want to tow a small trailer, under 1000 lbs. (The MKZ doesn't allow 'any' towing).

I have looked and driven the MKX and am also waiting to look at the SRX as an alternative.
The MKX was too SUV-like, I.e. not sufficiently comfortable. I expect the SRX to be similar but will wait to see/drive one.

I don't care about "sport". I don't want an "aggressive" vehicle.
I want a car that will pamper me with comfort. One that will glide over the railroad crossing without jarring teeth.

Maybe the days of the car I want are gone, but hopefully not.
Sorry to be rambling about the SRX but I'm hoping that maybe someone travelled this road already.

If I'm right, with the SRX I would be giving up too much "ride comfort" so the XTS Platinum seems to be a logical choice to explorer further.

Has anyone installed a hitch on a Cadillac Sedan? The XTS even?

I usually keep my cars for many years. Still drive my 2001 Buick.
While there may be some risk involved in getting a vehicle that has just recently come into being with fresh electronics, I think I'm going to take that chance as this may very well be a car that will last me a while and could easily be my last new car purchase unless I win the lottery.

So basically, has someone perhaps started researching the SRX and ended up with the XTS that is willing to share the "why".

Since your main concern is getting a full size car that pampers you with comfort, you may want to consider a 2011 DTS. I know it's not a 2013, and it's not the most technologically advanced, but it is able to pull a trailer of that weight with no problem in comfort :cloud9:.

hwitten
11-08-12, 11:15 PM
I did think about the DTS or other 2012's but of almost equal importance to me is the 2013 technology. I know it's a bit risky but I'm a bit of a techno-geek I guess. I make my living doing software, which may frustrate me even more when CUE doesn't do what it should but I just have to take that chance.

DG2
11-08-12, 11:26 PM
I did think about the DTS or other 2012's but of almost equal importance to me is the 2013 technology. I know it's a bit risky but I'm a bit of a techno-geek I guess. I make my living doing software, which may frustrate me even more when CUE doesn't do what it should but I just have to take that chance.

Sounds like XTS would be a perfect fit. What are you waiting for ??

thebigjimsho
11-09-12, 09:17 AM
Tow ratings?

hwitten
11-09-12, 10:47 PM
Sounds like XTS would be a perfect fit. What are you waiting for ??

Trying for a bit more due diligence than when I bought the MKZ :)
Mind you that was an end-of-year purchase with good discount.

I'll probably wait until the 2012's are all gone. Maybe there'll be some incentives coming down the pipe and I've given myself until April, so no hurry. Have to make sure the next one is a true keeper :)

blue_skies
11-10-12, 12:59 AM
Trying for a bit more due diligence than when I bought the MKZ :)
Mind you that was an end-of-year purchase with good discount.

I'll probably wait until the 2012's are all gone. Maybe there'll be some incentives coming down the pipe and I've given myself until April, so no hurry. Have to make sure the next one is a true keeper :)

Why not consider the 2013 MB E350? Either as BlueTEC diesel or 4MATIC wagon. The wagon has 2,500lbs towing capacity.

CAPT Mike
11-10-12, 08:22 PM
Just a thought: Keep your money in a US business. Germany doesn't need it; Japan doesn't need it; Korea doesn't need it. I bought a Cadillac as part of my new philosophy to buy American. BTW I traded in my fifth BMW on the Caddy. Yeah I know half the foreign cars are made in America; I'm talking parent company.

hwitten
11-10-12, 11:06 PM
Was it a good trade?
I.e. comfort, etc.
Was it a trade up or down in that regard?

CAPT Mike
11-11-12, 12:12 AM
All Good. Love the car and ride. I'm even getting used to the CUE; the learning curve is the same as it was for the BMW's iDrive.

tzydzy
11-11-12, 05:35 AM
Has anyone here considered the Lincoln MKS and finally purchased the XTS? If so what was the basis for the final decision?

CAPT Mike
11-11-12, 11:36 AM
I liked the MKS, but just couldn't get the fact out of my head that I would be buying a luxury Taurus. It actually boiled down to going to a Taurus SHO or the MKS. I then took a test drive in the XTS. The XTS won (price difference was 8500 and I feel it was worth it plus my BMW trade would have been 3500 less with the Ford product).

BreakThrough
11-11-12, 01:49 PM
Ford use to have many stand alone Lincoln Mercury dealers. That said, Cadillac has dedicated dealers to Cad only, which for me makes a difference. A Ford/Lincoln dealer in my opinion, is not geared for the "Lincoln" end of service for their customers. Stand alone Cadillac dealers (theorectically) are geared for the high end of the car market and the expectations that come with the price point and customer expectations. Service expectations for a Ford Fiesta will be different than for an MKS.

CAPT Mike
11-11-12, 06:01 PM
Ford use to have many stand alone Lincoln Mercury dealers. That said, Cadillac has dedicated dealers to Cad only, which for me makes a difference. A Ford/Lincoln dealer in my opinion, is not geared for the "Lincoln" end of service for their customers. Stand alone Cadillac dealers (theorectically) are geared for the high end of the car market and the expectations that come with the price point and customer expectations. Service expectations for a Ford Fiesta will be different than for an MKS.

You hit the nail on the head. When I went into the Ford/Lincoln dealer dressed in jeans nd a Harley T-shirt, It was assumed that I could only afford a Focus. When I told him that I wanted to test drive the MKS, he looked at me as if to say "really?" The moron didn't know until later that I am a retired Navy Captain and an eyedoc and then he was ...well you know the rest of the story. The scenario was indeed different at the Caddy dealer - and I had the same jeans on with a different Harley T.

tzydzy
11-17-12, 10:57 PM
I d test drives yesterday, the MKS Elite (the package with just about everything ) at a dedicated Lincoln dealer and the XTS Premium at a Cadillac, Buick GMC dealer . Both cars were font drive. The Lincoln had 20" wheels, not sure about the XTS and reviews note a louder and less cushy ride with thoe wheels. The Cadillac was slightly quieter, (my 1999 Seville was also a bit quieter). Ride quality was good with both cars. I had a new Lincoln salesman who wasn't all that familiar withe car's features. I've had a similar experience at my servicing Cadillac, GMC Buick dealer with a rookie salesman (I'd recommend that they read tho owners manuals when there are slow periods in the showroom).

With incentives and similar equipment, Elite MKS vs a Luxury XTS with driver awareness, navigation & spare tire the Cadillac costs about $6000 more.s

BreakThrough
11-18-12, 03:27 AM
Concur about the salespersons studying up on the functionality. I mean come on, there are cars right there at the dealership to practice with, AND the CUE app for the Ipad is a perfectly simple way to bone up.