: Northstar Performance SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MaddysCaddys
11-07-12, 03:22 PM
Still waiting on Northstar Performance..... :banghead: Has anyone else came up with another version of the head studs? I Just don't understand why it takes that long to ship some studs.. feel like I was getting the run around all the time. Just be up front with people, say your backed up and its going to be a week or two before I can get those shipped out.

Ranger
11-07-12, 03:59 PM
Carroll Custom Cadillacs now has a version as well. See his link in the Authorized Cadillac Vendors section.

Submariner409
11-07-12, 04:42 PM
...........and, in addition you can use Norm's Inserts with either ARP studs and nuts or OEM GM Northstar head bolts.

www.huhnsolutions.com

MaddysCaddys
11-07-12, 06:47 PM
Thank you! Just got off the Phone with Custom Cadillacs, Finally someone that answers the phone and could give me a straight answer! For all you out there that plan to stud your Northstar Call Tim down at Carroll Custom Cadillacs. Jake at Northstar Performance has the worst customer service EVER EVER EVER! I am sorry I wanted to like Northstar Performance but I should of read the reviews on here first! He charged my card a week before he even shipped my studs. Then told me he would overnight them! Lie after lie after lie..... STAY AWAY FROM NORTHSTAR PERFORMANCE PERIOD!

beebop01
11-08-12, 09:00 AM
head bolts and inserts work just as well as studs..

Manic Mechanic
11-08-12, 03:23 PM
I tried reaching Jake at N* Performance through his web-site that he set up to achieve better customer service and less online cat fighting. My post was never posted, it has to be approved by him, and he never responded to me in any way. So after a month I called Tim Carrol at CCC. I didn't get him the first day but a few days later he figured out he had a message on a cell phone and called me back. I ordered from him since and they are due here by mail any minute as I type this. I think I'm better off not dealing with Jake. I thought that now that he had everything settled he could ship in a timely manner but I guess not.

I just received the necessary taps and drill bits. Tim offered them at a price Amazon couldn't beat but I was looking for that cool ratcheting large tap-wrench he uses in his videos also and found it for a steal at ZoroTools.com. $85 is $20 less than Amazon wanted and I got everything there.

Vernon

----------

Just recieved my studs from Tim, I told you any minute. I ordered Monday from Oregon and recieved Thursday in Texas. They look pretty sturdy. Hopefully I will have them installed by next week. It's slow here so I can work on mine. Tim was really helpful and told me to call him with any questions. He seemed a lot more serious on the phone than in his videos.

Vernon

vincentm
11-09-12, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback Manic Mechanic and MaddysCaddys.

MaddysCaddys
11-09-12, 03:47 PM
Carroll Custom Cadillacs comes through as promised! Just got my Stud Kit, ordered it Wednesday afternoon got it before Noon Friday! "Express Mail" I do live in the same state but service and shipping was perfect! Time to get drilling and get this Deville back to its owner!

Thanks Tim!

http://www.carrollcustomcadillac.com

94CaddyConcours
12-01-12, 04:05 AM
Hey Manic, hows the repair going?

Manic Mechanic
12-01-12, 09:28 PM
SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
I got the bottom end back together and sealed up to short block, only the RMS is not in yet. Then I got covered up during the week along with other things to do on the weekends. Friends/Family/my other car repairs, a wedding, got sick, out of town trip, Festival, etc. and on and on. I have three other running vehicles for me and my wife to use so the DeVille is just waiting. I have everything to get to long block status I need. I decided not to experiment on the torque convertor and just replace the TCC solenoid and stop there. It was looking to be over another grand to open the trans and learn how to do it myself. Everyone who would know advised against it also, too much work.

I miss it. Hopefully by the end of the year, holidays are hard to break away from but usually the Christmas to New Years stretch is dead and if so I'll really push it. Next opportunity to wrench is going to be spent studding the block.

Thanks for asking,
Vernon

maeng9981
12-05-12, 04:42 AM
Sounds like me a lot. I have my 99 Deville opened up in my garage - since September - and it's still in pieces.

Good luck with your repair.

97EldoCoupe
12-18-12, 12:14 PM
Is it time for another update? Would everyone like to know what we've been doing to help the same Cadillac owners who have done nothing more than stab us in the back?

Evrett Janzen will be on here soon. He will be taking over the online customer communications as I am through with this. I have work to do, for those who have had a bit more understanding for the position I've been placed in and the challenges I've faced over the past few years. For those of you, I'm here to help you.

Maeng9981 you're a good man, I know this, but I do have enemies in this business and on facebook you are friends with one of the worst people I have ever dealt with. I have to question that. Do we owe you anything though? Did you not get your set of studs?

I couldn't care less what CF and the bunch thinks of me. When I needed help I was stabbed in the back. More than once. I did a test thread on here a while back and the first name to come up when questioned "what repair to use" was the same person who would like to see my lose the shirt on my back.

I will clarify again.

For those of you who have a bit of understanding what position I am in (believe me being in Canada does NOT make it easy doing business with the USA, try getting charged $1800+ to ship a stud kit GROUND, have the Purolator bills to prove they did this to me twice).

I almost gave up my house and home about a year ago to make sure this repair would be available to those decent people who are in need of it. Evrett knows. He's seen my finances.

Maeng9981, call me and ask to speak to me direct.

If I told anyone how many kits have shipped since July they would never believe me. And most arrived within a week's time.

I am making the necessary moves to ensure the success of Northstar Performance and to make sure that my loyal customers will be supplied in a timely fashion. This involves a location in the USA.

I may sound bitter. I have reason. All the people on CF only see one side of things. Spend a week in the shop and the office here. You'll get a very clear understanding. I love my job, I'm usually happy, but not after reading threads like this.

04GrandAmGT
12-18-12, 12:41 PM

This is Evrett J. any messages or concerns from here on will be directed through me, i will do the best i can to help you in any way. either email info@northstarperformance.com, or call 1-888-800-9470, leave a message if i do not answer and i will try to get back to you as soon as possible.

The attached photo is what we manufacture and ship in a typical day, these studs were manufactured last night and this morning, they will be sent out on the trucks today. We will do the best as we grow our business to supply the demand with the best products in a very timely manner, however when you are dealing in volumes like this, one part order that doesnt come in on time can delay up to 15 orders by up to 2 days.

Most customers who order their stud kit usually have there motor torn apart and are waiting for there studs, which means they are understandably more impatient to receive their kit. We understand this and we are doing everything we can to take care of our customers, this involves setting up distribution in the USA, which will come in place early 2013.

vincentm
12-18-12, 01:52 PM
Is it time for another update? Would everyone like to know what we've been doing to help the same Cadillac owners who have done nothing more than stab us in the back?

Evrett Janzen will be on here soon. He will be taking over the online customer communications as I am through with this. I have work to do, for those who have had a bit more understanding for the position I've been placed in and the challenges I've faced over the past few years. For those of you, I'm here to help you.

Maeng9981 you're a good man, I know this, but I do have enemies in this business and on facebook you are friends with one of the worst people I have ever dealt with. I have to question that. Do we owe you anything though? Did you not get your set of studs?

I couldn't care less what CF and the bunch thinks of me. When I needed help I was stabbed in the back. More than once. I did a test thread on here a while back and the first name to come up when questioned "what repair to use" was the same person who would like to see my lose the shirt on my back.

I will clarify again.

For those of you who have a bit of understanding what position I am in (believe me being in Canada does NOT make it easy doing business with the USA, try getting charged $1800+ to ship a stud kit GROUND, have the Purolator bills to prove they did this to me twice).

I almost gave up my house and home about a year ago to make sure this repair would be available to those decent people who are in need of it. Evrett knows. He's seen my finances.

Maeng9981, call me and ask to speak to me direct.

If I told anyone how many kits have shipped since July they would never believe me. And most arrived within a week's time.

I am making the necessary moves to ensure the success of Northstar Performance and to make sure that my loyal customers will be supplied in a timely fashion. This involves a location in the USA.

I may sound bitter. I have reason. All the people on CF only see one side of things. Spend a week in the shop and the office here. You'll get a very clear understanding. I love my job, I'm usually happy, but not after reading threads like this.

Now youre asking Harry to choose sides? Who cares about friggin facebook man, get over it. Lets just keep these engines on the road...

97EldoCoupe
12-18-12, 02:00 PM
This gets good.

Further research on our past orders reveals that MaddysCaddys is in fact Brandon Maddy out of Seattle WA. He ordered from us long before this post was ever on CF. His package was delivered Nov. 9, 2012

Enter this into your browser: http://www.northstarperformance.com/cfphotos/serverphoto2.jpg and you will see the package progress.

vincentm
12-18-12, 02:09 PM
Im so sick of this fighting between CCC and NP.

97EldoCoupe
12-18-12, 02:18 PM
Brandon ordered October 23, Delivered November 9th. Yes. I would like to see delivery times improve. This is still considered very reasonable in my eyes. I have to wait on parts too, I get parts shipped in from California, often it takes two weeks to get here. I'm waiting on an order of valves and threading taps right now. I guess it would help a great deal to call up the companies and b*tch them out or go on a public forum and complain.

You know what? I'm more decent than to do that. I will simply wait and next time order a bit sooner to account for any delays that may occur. A while back I had to wait 3 weeks for wheel bearings for my 2010 Sierra because of the hurricane that struck NY. My goodness I should be furious with RockAuto right? Nope. They provide me with good parts at reasonable prices, even if sometimes I have to wait.

As for customer service. We are busy. Beyond belief. Expanding at the rate we can.

We get very positive reviews from our products and since we started machining the studs in-house, we've had great feedback on them and great results.

Tim, Vince, many others (Ranger and Sub included it seems) would like to see us go down. No. It won't happen. I supply so many GM dealerships and repair shops, you don't hear all the good. Only the bad.

So either stay with me and help us to help our customers and fellow Cadillac owners or keep shooting at us. I don't care.

vincentm
12-18-12, 02:21 PM
Dont throw Ranger and Sub into this and start bad mouthing them man. I wont stand for that, theyve offered links to your company and CCC they just care about helping, and not being involved in this petty dispute, get over yourself man.

vincentm
12-18-12, 02:36 PM
Can we at least be a bit more mature in posting this? Personally id like to see this thread closed

MaddysCaddys
12-18-12, 03:13 PM
I ordered it on the 23rd of October and you shipped it out a week later. I had to call you guys repeatedly to find out what was going on with my studs.. NIGHTMARE DEALING WITH YOU GUYS!

----------

Close it then! Just speaking the truth here.

DirtyMax
12-18-12, 04:16 PM
Don’t delete this thread, I don’t see any false accusations here on behalf of the correspondence between MaddysCaddys and Northstar Performance. I personally know Maddy and I know the exact vehicle that he was working on at the time of this purchase. Maddy was simply trying to keep his customer happy (who was an expecting, mother to be) and relying on his vendors to help him accomplish that. If you, Jake, as a vendor cannot provide the service that you claim you can provide then GET OUT NOW because you WILL go under and not have a pot to crap in. You need to recognize you’re losses and run. Maddy simply found a vendor that stated a claim and held up to the responsibility of it by providing a better service than you. Carroll’s Customs told them that they would have the product to him by a specific date and they did which allowed Maddy to get the vehicle back to the customer. Northstar Performance gave Maddy’s THE RUN-AROUND! Making this claim, making that claim, telling him one thing and doing another, this is horrible business etiquette. Jake, I have no idea who you are as a person but you represent a company and that company is losing customer’s because of their lack of etiquette and service, this is not Maddy’s fault, he just came on here and told the truth. Keep in mind my friend, you stabbed him in the back, he had a customer harping on him to get the car done(keep in mind a pregnant woman) therefore he is harping on you to get him the parts(which he ordered before he even laid a finger on the car) you told him you would provide the service(promising overnight delivery) and you FAILED! Meanwhile Maddy now has the car torn down and ready for studs and he is waiting, not only taking up one bay in his shop, losing business, but creating an unhappy customer, not with Northstar Performance, but with Maddy’s. So he had to source other means of customer satisfaction, which is exactly what you should learn how to do, and found a company that can provide what they promised. Word of mouth is everything in this world, Jake, and the only things that I have seen and heard is Diarrhea of the mouth about you. The internet, text messages, phone calls and e-mails are all the facts of life and the modes of communication throughout daily business. Buck it up, suck it up, pull your tampon out, put your big girl panties on and apologize for your horrible customer satisfaction. Don’t make excuses; just make it right if you want to survive.

Thank You For Your Time In This Matter.
PS- Keep in mind just from what I have heard and read, Carroll’s Customs would be my first choice if I needed parts. But that’s all null and void, I’m a diesel guy, can’t stand gas pods!

Submariner409
12-18-12, 07:00 PM
Keep it civil, keep it factual and stop name-calling or the entire thing goes in the trash.

NO ONE in here is so thin-skinned that they can't recover from honest criticism - but please keep that criticism out of the gutter.

Public forum, public reply: "Jake, don't burn all your bridges." (Yes, I have personally done business with Jake and was very satisfied with the result - but when friendly acquaintances get in the way of the mission of CF, the "friendly" goes down the drain.)

tateos
12-18-12, 09:00 PM
I have nothing against Jake - he seems to be a well intentioned young man, and I think he has a good product. I have read many posts that relate problems that I would mostly characterize as customer service issues. If he has addressed and resolved those issues, that's great - I am truly happy to hear that. When I did my HG project, Jake's stud system was not available - I had the choice between Time-Serts or Norm's. I chose Norm's, received them in 2 days at no additional charge, installed them (and stock head bolts) without a hitch, and my stepson still drives the car (97 ETC) daily - 5 years later! I think Jake's system could theoretically be better than Norm's...but I wonder if that translates into any real world benefits? Again, I'm not talking smack about Jake - just telling you my experience and thoughts.

RM

Ranger
12-18-12, 10:19 PM
Tim, Vince, many others (Ranger and Sub included it seems) would like to see us go down.

:cop: Whoa, hold on there pardner. I have no dog in this fight and if you reread post #2 you'll find that I (and Sub) merely answered the question asked in post #1 and never said anything derogatory about you or your business in this or any other thread. Just for the record Jake, I DO NOT want to "see you go down". I wish you nothing but success. I am sure that I speak for Sub as well.

drewsdeville
12-18-12, 11:03 PM
I think Jake's system could theoretically be better than Norm's...but I wonder if that translates into any real world benefits?

This is a very important question that cannot be answered right now, and I've asked myself the same. There's some very tight competition between Jake and a few other alternatives. The product offered by all accomplishes the same thing - therefore the real difference in experience will lie on the customer service side of things. Whoever offers the customer the best overall experience will win, and the overall experience goes FAR beyond the product itself. The product does NOT define the experience.

It's all the beauty of free enterprise.

maeng9981
12-19-12, 03:41 AM
I would like to say first that this all started out of a simple miscommunication. This is a forum and I could care less about what the original poster said on the original post. Sorry if that sounded like I was talking bad about your company Jake - I didn't mean to say the delay was because of your company; when I originally wrote that reply, I was talking about how lazy I am and me not having any progress. You'll see this if you read the post before me, he was talking about how his repair is taking long because of too much work.

I received everything I need from your company as always, and I am satisfied. I'm sad to see threads like this, because the stud kits I've ordered always arrived in timely manner. But I see how you'd understand my reply like that since the topic started out as a complaint. Should've been more clear, or should've not replied on this at all.

Since Facebook is involved here - if you found me on facebook, don't just look and read what's available, add me as a friend. That's probably the fastest way to get in touch with me.

I wish not to take sides company wise- everyone's just trying to help other Northstar owners here. It IS tiring to see people posting about how bad one company is. If you have complaints, then file a complaint with the company!

Now let's rephrase post #11:

Sounds like me a lot. I have my 99 Deville opened up in my garage - since September - and it's still in pieces because I didn't do anything in Oct/Nov/Dec.

Good luck with your repair.

CadillacSevilleSTS
12-19-12, 09:34 PM
When does Sal finally say enough is enough and send Jake down the road? Too many forum members have been done too dirty by this guy....

vincentm
12-19-12, 10:17 PM
By saying Tim Carroll, Sub, Ranger and myself wanting to see Northstar Performance go down, is playing the victim card. Id love to see a single post from any of us mentioned stating so

DirtyMax
12-20-12, 11:38 AM
I have been doing this stuff a long time and so has Maddy. Maddy's shop was started in the 50's by his grandparents and he has been there since he was probably 15 years old. Vendors are your life force in this business and customer service is everything. I wouldn't expect anything less than to comment on the experience he had on a public forum to notify others before they make the same mistake! I wish no one the dive in this day and age, hope Jake takes this post as constructive criticism and does something about it instead of coming on here and bad mouthing the people that he owes an apology to. Just sayin.

Submariner409
12-20-12, 05:16 PM
When does Sal finally say enough is enough and send Jake down the road? Too many forum members have been done too dirty by this guy....

Are you aware that Sal no longer owns the site ? Go back 8 months in Site News and feedback.

CadillacSevilleSTS
12-22-12, 03:05 AM
Are you aware that Sal no longer owns the site ? Go back 8 months in Site News and feedback.

Okay so whomever is in authority should take care of it then.

Submariner409
12-22-12, 02:43 PM

Okay so whomever is in authority should take care of it then.

Blunt question, and anyone is free to respond: CadillacSevilleSTS, Have you personally had any business dealings with any of the parties in this thread ?? I went back through your 198 posts in CF and you don't seem to have had any head gasket problems....... (and, according to your posts in other threads, you haven't owned the STS for 2 months now.)

JoeTahoe
12-22-12, 10:56 PM
just my two cents, I have delt with Northstar performance several times and all has been very good. Jake is a young man that loves cars and does car about his company. If all young peaple had his ambition this would be a very good thing. I have used Northstar Performance studs on 3 Cadillacs now. With the original plate, tap and drill. When the time comes I will use the same tooling on the next one. I have had zero problems with any studs not lineing up, cracked blocks or failures on any. They all run strong dont overheat or leak. I am a gm man always will be. If it was not my dealings with Jake two Cadillacs would have been scraped. I would not have ever bought my 99 STS and I would have never been a cadillac lover. But I did find out about Jake on this forum. This forum is a awsome tool and there are some very helpful people on here.
I hope all works out for every one and happy holidays and have a great new year, Joe

97EldoCoupe
12-22-12, 11:30 PM
If that's what this forum wants is me out, go for it. I can register again, and again, and again, from 200+ IP addresses. I can comment and post all I want.

For those people who are seeing this as a first, to re-cap:

1) I invented the Sure-Grip dual-diameter stud repair system that I sell
2) I fix Cadillacs for a living using this repair kit
3) I've never had a stud FAIL, ever. I've had ONE head gasket fail in all the time I've been doing this due to a damaged (knicked) cylinder head) and I repaired under warranty no charge
4) my suppliers who used to make the studs for me failed to come through for me on timely delivery and quality standards so I purchased my own equipment to produce. There was a supply problem in late 2011/early 2012 because of this.
5) during this time, someone else decided it was perfectly alright to copy, use, and re-sell something I have a patent pending on. Yes, the patent is still pending and will be until the USPTO says yes or no. For proof of this, so you don't all think I'm full of ****, search the patent database, Jacob Wiebe, Altona, CA for stud fasteners.....you will find me.
6) because of the shortage of studs and the financial bind that put me in, and a couple of engine deliveries that I could not make in time because of this, I've gotten a bad reputation.

For those of you willing to give me the chance to prove I'm in this business to serve my customers and get their Northstars fixed properly with the best parts, I am here to help. Call or text me direct on my cell, 204-216-0011. Just please be reasonable with hours, that's my personal phone and I'm in central time.

For those who will listen to all of this backstabbing B.S. before learning the whole story, since I won't be getting your business anyways, good luck to you.

I used to spend $200/month to advertise on this forum + my platinum vendor fees. I've fixed XXX amount of Northstars (Only God knows right now, it's going to be hitting the four digits soon

I'm not asking for fame (nor do I want it) for inventing this stud kit design. All I've ever asked for is simple respect and a bit of understanding. I wasn't born rich. I'm not rich now. What I was born with is a hard work ethic, an appreciation for honesty and good people and a love for mechanics.

Merry Christmas, from Jake @ Northstar Performance.

vincentm
12-22-12, 11:51 PM
Oh crap here we go again....can we close this f'n thread already?

97EldoCoupe
12-22-12, 11:55 PM
Can you learn to ignore something and click on other threads? This involves me, and not you. My company name is in the title. You're not involved.

vincentm
12-23-12, 12:09 AM
Can you learn to ignore something and click on other threads? This involves me, and not you. My company name is in the title. You're not involved.

Youve mentioned my name and others in this thread, and tossed about ad-hominems and false accusations, so yes, it does involve me

CadillacSevilleSTS
12-23-12, 04:32 AM
Blunt question, and anyone is free to respond: CadillacSevilleSTS, Have you personally had any business dealings with any of the parties in this thread ?? I went back through your 198 posts in CF and you don't seem to have had any head gasket problems....... (and, according to your posts in other threads, you haven't owned the STS for 2 months now.)

You misread. I still own an STS, but trying to sell it. A little hypocritical assuming I can't comment here? Have you ever had a Northstar head gasket failure? You are commenting as well. I'm simply a concerned citizen.

Submariner409
12-23-12, 10:16 AM
I have not had a head gasket failure in my car. Helped rebuild 3 other 1998 - 1999 Northstars up at Charlie's (the transmission man) - up the road. Big shop. Lifts.

The comment was NOT about the mechanical failure, but about the parts delivery times............... and I have been there, done that. You have not, so you're critiqueing hearsay, as in: Monday morning quarterback.

I have had some really long wait times from quite a few engine parts manufacturers - the Northstar head stud business is not the only aftermarket supplier type to run into problems - and when you're trying to get a commercial waterman back on the oyster beds, they don't take kindly to delays which cost them around $1,000 a day.

Ranger
12-23-12, 01:30 PM
If that's what this forum wants is me out, go for it.
:cop: That was one persons comment. NOT the view of "the forum".

CadillacSevilleSTS
12-23-12, 01:33 PM
The comment was NOT about the mechanical failure, but about the parts delivery times............... and I have been there, done that. You have not, so you're critiqueing hearsay, as in: Monday morning quarterback.

I also have dealt with long waits on parts. Hearsay? I think any jury would take Jake's bad customer service to be fact at this point. This has been going on for at least 3 years that I know of. I lurked for years before I ever created an account. I can't count the number of complaints on both hands. There have been numerous threads with complaints about Northstar Performance that were deleted throughout the above mentioned timespan.

What Jake doesn't get is the biggest problem from an observer and potential customers standpoint is not the complaints, but how he responds to them. Anyone with business sense knows in a public forum they should simply publicly apologize and offer a resolution. Yet Jake always acts like a teenager. He gets upset, makes excuses, acts like everyone is out to get him, and does everything in his power to get the complaint removed. The worst is I have saw him on more than one occasion give the customers name out without permission and even location. I am not sure if that is illegal in Canada, but he is violating US privacy laws doing so.

Ranger
12-23-12, 02:01 PM
Just for the record, the only time threads where closed or removed was when they got out of hand and into name calling and bashing.

CadillacSevilleSTS
12-23-12, 02:07 PM
Just for the record, the only time threads where closed or removed was when they got out of hand and into name calling and bashing.

Why were they not just closed?

Ranger
12-23-12, 02:17 PM
I can't recall anymore. I believe some where closed and some deleted for varying reasons.

Submariner409
12-23-12, 03:06 PM
There have been numerous threads with complaints about Northstar Performance that were deleted throughout the above mentioned timespan.

Why were they not just closed?

Read: Posts. .......... and you neglected to mention the posts from others - including Jake - on the same subject which were deleted when the tone of the conversation went into the gutter. Pardon my French, but when threads forgo information and degenerate into a "pissing contest" between antagonists either the thread gets closed or really inappropriate posts get deleted/edited. It takes nearly an Act of Congress to merely delete an entire thread of information.

No one denies that there has been a lot of business contest between the stud manufacturers and their delivery times arguments. My take ?? Put the antagonism to bed and let the market determine the winner.