: front shocks.

Jets
11-06-12, 11:06 PM
I have a 2008 STS AWD with 83000 kms, and the front shocks were making clunking noise. I had the dealer check it out ($75 cost). They determinded my front shocks need replacing and gave me a quote of $ 2300 for the job. I had the front shocks replace at 68000 kms. My question is, On a top of the line GM product, (cadillac) why am I having to replace the front shocks after only 15000kms. GM customer service told me they can't do anything. Not very happy.

ddalder
11-06-12, 11:59 PM
Rear shocks, that price might not be out of the question. Fronts, I'm not so sure. I had mine replaced under warranty so I can't speak to the exact cost, but the front, although magnetic ride control, are not auto leveling. The part number is likely going to be 19150444. These sell at online GM dealers in the US for about $330.00. I've found that Canadian retail GM prices are usually about double. It's still a stretch coming up with $2,300.

Since these were replaced only 15,000km ago, I would call the Canadian GM Customer Care line and explain what has occurred. In instances like this, I've found them to be quite reasonable if you approach the situation with a level head. Without any remaining warranty you might be out of luck. You can make the argument that the parts are clearly defective since they should last no less than 80,000km. All they can say is no.

Good luck!

----------

As I recall, there is also a TSB relating to some 2008 vehicles where the front calipers clunk. I'd be interested to know if this problem was actually diagnosed properly. The fix for the caliper clunk is lubrication and is quite inexpensive. There have also been other "clunk" like noises reported. You may want to look at such things as your door strikes. Sounds kind of crazy, but this has occurred for at least a couple of us here on the forum. If you grab the bar that the latch catches onto and wiggle it fairly aggressively, you should not have any movement. If it pops or clicks, this can be transmitted through the body as more of a clunk sound. These too are a fairly inexpensive item.

B1n2fra
11-07-12, 10:46 AM
Can these be changed without removing the front springs. I need a set of front shocks also. Magnetic ones. I recently replaced the rear at 360.00 each. Did them myself, fairly easy job. Wonder how hard the fronts are

1BadCadSTS
11-07-12, 02:55 PM
No. The springs mount to the strut. Which is why it's called a strut not a shock.

DG2
11-07-12, 05:04 PM
That's for shocks and struts I need to do my fronts end as well. First time . 8 years and 180,000 miles guess I can't complain

Angus Young
11-08-12, 02:31 AM
Can these be changed without removing the front springs. I need a set of front shocks also. Magnetic ones. I recently replaced the rear at 360.00 each. Did them myself, fairly easy job. Wonder how hard the fronts are

Where did you find the rear MRC shocks for $360.00?

1BadCadSTS
11-08-12, 10:08 AM
Had to be aftermarket or used.

B1n2fra
11-08-12, 07:01 PM
No. The springs mount to the strut. Which is why it's called a strut not a shock.

I know the difference between shocks and struts, what I meant is does new STRUTS come assembled with the spring as a whole unit.

1BadCadSTS
11-08-12, 07:03 PM
Nope. Only Monroe quick struts do that.

----------

Nope