: Creaking sound

B1n2fra
11-06-12, 08:41 AM
I have a 2007 awd northstar 1sg and ive been getting a creaking sound on the drivers side and it feels like it's right under my left foot on the drivers side. It has to be something thats moving because it only creaks when I accelerate from stop when I turn right or when I brake. Somethings moving back and forth ever so slightly. I had the front end looked at and everything is tight and the way it's supposed to be. They can't seem to find it. Any advice or fixes. Would like to know what it is, it's irritating the shit out of me.

Ludacrisvp
11-06-12, 08:49 AM
is it coming from the driver side front caliper?

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-06-12, 08:51 AM
Open the door and wiggle the bar on the strike and see if it moves and makes a pop noise...i just found a loose one mine over the weekend...or maybe a motor/transmission mount

Cadjiek
11-06-12, 09:20 AM
My 07 did that when the lower control arm bushing went.

2Lamafia5
11-06-12, 09:37 AM
My 06 does that also, but it's on the right front side. I only hear it when it turns r run ova a bump. I'm thinkN, shocks...

B1n2fra
11-06-12, 09:50 AM
Not the caliper or anything in the door jam. It's under the car. I suspected maybe some kind of mount also.

06WhiteDiamond
11-06-12, 09:53 AM
My 06 does that also, but it's on the right front side. I only hear it when it turns r run ova a bump. I'm thinkN, shocks...

Same issues in my 06 except its been getting worse and louder over the last few weeks. I thought control arm bushing too but had my GM tech buddy look at it and everything seemed tight.

At some point the car will be in a friends shop for an oil change and wheel balance so I will look around at the bushings with a flash light, particularly the lower control arm bushings.

2Lamafia5
11-06-12, 01:09 PM
Same issues in my 06 except its been getting worse and louder over the last few weeks. I thought control arm bushing too but had my GM tech buddy look at it and everything seemed tight.

At some point the car will be in a friends shop for an oil change and wheel balance so I will look around at the bushings with a flash light, particularly the lower control arm bushings.

Keep me updated on what u find.

Charles Warren
11-06-12, 07:50 PM
Mine does this, i sprayed silicon on everything and seemed to stop it but not a fix. I wanna know whats causing the noise because its nothing loose

1BadCadSTS
11-06-12, 08:10 PM
Lower control arm bushings!

VZDog
11-07-12, 07:07 PM
My 06 does this too. I agree - control arm bushings are starting to wear out/get loose.

fly187
11-09-12, 12:01 PM
Start with a cheap replacemnt before the control arms. replace the sway bar mount bushings!!

06WhiteDiamond
11-09-12, 01:45 PM
Keep me updated on what u find.

Had it one the hoist a few days ago, both lower control arm bushings shot. Damn car rides like a old buggy.

1BadCadSTS
11-09-12, 05:47 PM
Told ya.

B1n2fra
11-10-12, 07:08 AM
So to change the bushings you have to change the whole control arm?

curtc
11-10-12, 10:58 AM
So to change the bushings you have to change the whole control arm?

Yes, it's all one piece, the bushing is pressed in.

1BadCadSTS
11-10-12, 01:32 PM
No one makes the bushing is why.

2Lamafia5
11-11-12, 07:40 PM
Had it one the hoist a few days ago, both lower control arm bushings shot. Damn car rides like a old buggy.

Thanks

----------

No one makes the bushing is why.

About how much would the repair cost be?

1BadCadSTS
11-12-12, 12:12 AM
Just under 450. My warranty covered it.

2Lamafia5
11-12-12, 01:57 PM
Just under 450. My warranty covered it.

That's not bad, thanks

06WhiteDiamond
11-15-12, 12:33 PM
What about the upper control arms? Do they see a lot of wear as well? I tried checking the bushings but couldn't really see.

Cadjiek
11-15-12, 01:58 PM
My 07 STS was built with defective upper and lower control arms. The upper one rattled. I jacked the car up and rotated the wheel from front and back in a jerking motion . I could see the whole arm sliding back and forth. The dealer at that point couldn't figure out what was rattling. So I showed them. Control arm was replaced and no more rattle. However there was still a jiggle in the front end at slow speeds. For example, pulling into the garage where the floor was a little higher than the driveway. Finally when the lower arm went. the car sounded like an old buggy going down the street. All covered under warranty so I have no idea how much the repair cost was. All was quiet after that. Took 2 years from date of delivery. Ridiculous!

06WhiteDiamond
11-15-12, 02:19 PM
My 07 STS was built with defective upper and lower control arms. The upper one rattled. I jacked the car up and rotated the wheel from front and back in a jerking motion . I could see the whole arm sliding back and forth. The dealer at that point couldn't figure out what was rattling. So I showed them. Control arm was replaced and no more rattle. However there was still a jiggle in the front end at slow speeds. For example, pulling into the garage where the floor was a little higher than the driveway. Finally when the lower arm went. the car sounded like an old buggy going down the street. All covered under warranty so I have no idea how much the repair cost was. All was quiet after that. Took 2 years from date of delivery. Ridiculous!

Thank you for that information, i will jack up the car and see if it has any play as you described. So even with cost +10% at my local Cadillac dealer the lower control arms will set me back $630.00 for the pair. Brutal!!!
Does anyone know of the cheaper alternative? I don't mind paying the Cadillac labor rate but the prices for these lower control arms are just ridiculous, not to mention it seems to be a dealer only item.

Cadjiek
11-15-12, 02:34 PM
The jiggle I mentioned was caused by the lower control arm. Iam curious if you felt the same symptom.

06WhiteDiamond
11-15-12, 02:45 PM
I do, i have the same jiggle along with the creaking/binding sound when braking/turning in parking lots at slower speeds. The front end feels completely sloppy, i was planning on replaced both front struts and the control arms to bring back the stiff ride i once had.

EChas3
11-15-12, 10:06 PM
Check with Chris at Rippy's. He can quote as good a price on new parts as you're likely to find. Most any good shop could do the job.

rnkath08
12-02-12, 05:21 PM
are the control arm bushings a warranty item or out of pocket? Just started to hear an occassional creak before I put the car up when stopping or turning. Intermittent for sure, but creaking is the perfect word for it....

fly187
12-04-12, 02:18 PM
Yep, control arms. Sway bar bushing didn't fix mine. Bought new control arms and replaced them myself. Sad thing is it wasn't the control arm bushings. When I got them out you could clearly see the "third" bushing where the strut attaches to, it was way worse than the actual control arm bushings.