: Just tried '11 luxury-level -ride very 'rough' =any ideas?

SHOWGIRL
11-05-12, 04:19 AM
i know i'm mixing apples & oranges but i still had to ask ...
For the last 1.5 years, we've been driving a '10 DTS/Premium trim (w/o MRC) -first experience with a FWD (very little feel of the road) and what i call ''loose steering'. (can't think of the 'technical term)
but because we'd like to get back to a RWD, we just tried a 2011 STS Lux /17' wheels/33K ...liked everything about the car except we felt every little 'bump' in the road.
For 'reference', prior to the '10 DTS we had a '10 CTS Performance--sports-suspension FE2 for a short period of time and found it far 'smoother' than this STS. (if memory serves us)
Of course we realize nothing will feel like the DTS's 'ride'..but i was wondering if you in STS-land currently have a 'smooth' (but still sporty) ride with your STS?
Or perhaps we're just too used to the ride of the DTS by now and anything after it would feel like we're driving a old taxie without shocks ! but...we still don't like the ride/handling of the DTS!... LOL
Any input would be appreciated ....SG

Ludacrisvp
11-05-12, 04:23 AM
Find a STS that has FE1 or FE2 suspension on it and you may get the feel you are looking for. Also tires (and pressure) can make a huge change in how the road feels.

C&C
11-05-12, 05:19 AM
I have an '11 STS (Luxury) and that planted feeling is what I cherish about the STS. Some have stated that STS stand for Seville Touring Sedan, but I remember when the STS was a model (off the Seville) and stood for Seville, Sports Touring Sedan (and that is what I was, and am, looking for). On a smooth road the drive (to me) is still very smooth, but will admit on less-than-smooth roads the ride can be felt (but I still wouldn't characterize it as "very rough"); more like 'connected'. Of course, JMO. And as mentioned above, tires and inflation, while not extreme, can make a noticeable difference.

SHOWGIRL
11-05-12, 08:10 AM
Find a STS that has FE1 or FE2 suspension on it and you may get the feel you are looking for. Also tires (and pressure) can make a huge change in how the road feels.
-----------------------
thanks - would that info be included on the 'code/build' sticker (i guess somewhere in the trunk?) ... thanks about the tires /pressure

----------

I have an '11 STS (Luxury) and that planted feeling is what I cherish about the STS. Some have stated that STS stand for Seville Touring Sedan, but I remember when the STS was a model (off the Seville) and stood for Seville, Sports Touring Sedan (and that is what I was, and am, looking for). On a smooth road the drive (to me) is still very smooth, but will admit on less-than-smooth roads the ride can be felt (but I still wouldn't characterize it as "very rough"); more like 'connected'. Of course, JMO. And as mentioned above, tires and inflation, while not extreme, can make a noticeable difference.
----------------
I know what you're describing using the term ''connected' - that's what i meant also ( you don't feel 'connected' to the road in a DTS)...but what we experienced was far more than that ...even on '95 it was 'harsh' and forget about any uneven road situations, etc. it was totally 'bouncing' inside the car... but didn't think about tire pressure - will ask about that !!! i think the tires are OEM... 17.7.5 P235/50/R/17: Michelin V-Rated All Season

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-05-12, 08:30 AM
I don't think I've heard good things about the michelins. I have Bridgestone turanza tires on mine at 33psi. To me they feel great but that's what was on the car when I bought it. Fe1 suspension is what I have and I love the ride :)

Ludacrisvp
11-05-12, 09:13 AM
Yes on the build sticker in trunk. Lift up the cover over the spare to see it.

1BadCadSTS
11-05-12, 09:43 AM
Also the stock sport Michelin tires suck.

dkozloski
11-05-12, 10:35 AM
Drive faster. The ride smooths right out when you are flying over the bumps.

EChas3
11-05-12, 07:50 PM
I don't think I've heard good things about the michelins. I have Bridgestone turanza tires on mine at 33psi. To me they feel great but that's what was on the car when I bought it. Fe1 suspension is what I have and I love the ride :)

On my AWD with MRC & 18" wheels, I run Continental DWS at 30 psi front & 29 psi rear. The OEM Michelin's belong in Bedrock with Fred Flintstone. Many members would say the ride is too firm.

My wife's RWD & 17" wheels is a Hertz car and has a cushy ride. It was downright dangerous on the OEM tires, but handles decently on Summer rubber. We get snow, so she gets Blizzaks in the Winter. Do you ever get snow?

studio caddi
11-05-12, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE="Ludacrisvp"]Find a STS that has FE1 or FE2 suspension on it and you may get the feel you are looking for. I'd say that the FE2 is the better option for what your looking for . If that's still not what you are looking for you could replace the springs with new springs from D3 like I did then try different rims and tires .

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-05-12, 09:52 PM
On my AWD with MRC & 18" wheels, I run Continental DWS at 30 psi front & 29 psi rear. The OEM Michelin's belong in Bedrock with Fred Flintstone. Many members would say the ride is too firm.

My wife's RWD & 17" wheels is a Hertz car and has a cushy ride. It was downright dangerous on the OEM tires, but handles decently on Summer rubber. We get snow, so she gets Blizzaks in the Winter. Do you ever get snow?

No E I'm in FL

EChas3
11-05-12, 10:33 PM
Nice!

Tires make more difference in ride & handling than any other single factor. If the car you want has some traits you don't like, tell the seller to make an allowance for the cost of new tires. Everybody likes the feel of new shoes!

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-05-12, 10:42 PM
E how do your tires wear at that psi? I know that's what the door sticker says to put them at but I just can't bring myself to keep them that low :/

EChas3
11-05-12, 10:59 PM
I have them rotated every oil change (about 10,000 miles aka annually).

No worries!

PS: 5 year old tires need to be replaced even if they still have tread.

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-05-12, 11:10 PM
Ok I'll keep that in mind when I get a new set

1BadCadSTS
11-05-12, 11:16 PM
Conti dws ftw.

DarkMingBlueSTS
02-07-13, 09:26 PM
I have them rotated every oil change (about 10,000 miles aka annually).

No worries!

PS: 5 year old tires need to be replaced even if they still have tread.

Changed the oil today and had the tires rotated...the "old" Cadillac drives like the dream it once was...thanks E