Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Brakes are starting to squeak, what do you recommend?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  GreaseMonkey 
#1 ·
She has around 60k, should I get new rotors as well? What kind of brakes do you have and what do you like/dis like about them? Are they hard to install? Thanks in advance!!

#2 ·
If the rotors are not scored/grooved, you don't need new rotors.
Changing the pads are the easiest I have even done.
I changed mine a while back... I used the UPDATED factory pads and all is well.
The brake pulsation I have had since the car was new went away.

I have been very happy with them.

Jim
I used the

#3 ·
Anytime you replace brake pads the rotors either need to be resurfaced or replaced. Both the pad and rotor are a friction surface and wear together. Replacing just the pads can result in poor braking performance and noise. With 60,000 miles on them, I wouldn't even bother getting them turned. For the cost to get them turned, and having a knucklehead behind a parts counter screw them up, you're better off just getting new ones. Most rotors go for $20-$40 a piece. Take it from a Master ASE Tech.

Here would be my recommended parts through rockauto.com:
Qty 1 10511590
Qty 2 12162099

About $106.

#4 ·
I have to respectfully disagree.
If the rotors are not damaged, they can be turned/resurfaceed.

When I replaced the pads on my car, I didn't even do that... the rotors were glass smooth and had no issues.
They did not need to be replaced.

My car had 110,000 miles on it at that time.

I just replaced the pads on all four corners.
My brakes work great.

Jim

#11 ·
Jay, I would recommend acdelco ceramic pads all around. They give off no dust and low noise. The only minor drawback, I have heard, is that you do lose stopping power when going with ceramics.

The other option would be Wagner QC784 Thermo Quiet Ceramic disc brake pads.

You do not need new rotors @60k. Make sure to get’m turned before using with the new pads. The brakes are not hard to install as long as you have the proper tools & the safety equipment. This would be a weekend job.

#12 ·
I am planning to keep this car until the wheels fall off as they are no longer making the DTS!! With that being said how hard is it to replace the rotors? I have seen how easy it was to do my wife's brake pads and thought the DTS would be just as easy. But I know nothing about rotors or how to install or remove. On the brake issue, I don't mind brake dust, I just want stopping distance to stay the same (or better) and NO squeaking or noise. Thanks in advance again!!

#13 ·
The quick rundown:

1. Remove wheels/tires (after jacking the car up and supporting it of course)
2. Remove the two caliper slide bolts, remove pads.
3. Remove the two caliper bracket mounting bolts, remove bracket and rotor.
4. Spray off new rotors (packed in plastic with oil to prevent rust) with brake clean.
5. Install rotor, reinstall caliper bracket, install pads, and reinstall caliper. You will have to drive the caliper piston back into the caliper using an old brake pad and c-clamp. You will also want to regrease the caliper slide pins, and replace the abutment clips which should come with the new pads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.