: front differential 02 awd

louieco4
11-04-12, 08:48 PM
i have a 02 6.0 awd the front differential went bad was wondering which other ones can be interchanged if any from yukon/tahoe suburban if they had to be awd or not i know mine has 373 gear in front if anyone could help i have looked cant seem to find out anything online thanks

sprink60
11-04-12, 09:02 PM
I don't know why there would be a difference between AWD and 4WD front differentials. I can't see GM tooling up a different differential just because the transfer case is full time.

louieco4
11-04-12, 09:13 PM
i know there are 2 different gears they use a 342 and 373 dont want to put one with wrong gears ratio in

mikedyk43
11-04-12, 10:15 PM
i have a 02 6.0 awd the front differential went bad was wondering which other ones can be interchanged if any from yukon/tahoe suburban if they had to be awd or not i know mine has 373 gear in front if anyone could help i have looked cant seem to find out anything online thanks

I believe the only ones that will swap in MUST be from an AWD of the same body style. Perhaps from the Silverado SS as well. There is a difference in the 4wd variants as they have an electronically controlled mechanism to engage and disengage them. It would be a lot more economical to just rebuild the one you have. I just did mine for about $200 which includes all bearings, races, seals and 3 quarts of 75w 90 synthetic gear oil with friction modifier additive. I do have to warn you, it is not a job for the faint of heart and I did have to fabricate a tool to torque down the backlash adjustment nuts. I have a digital service manual that could get you through it if you want to take a look. I was able to purchase all of the replacement parts from O'Reilly's.

sprink60
11-05-12, 06:16 PM

Don't know how deep you want to get in to it but there is a guy here in West Palm Selling everything from the transfer case forward from a 2004 for $2200.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/pts/3331374533.html

Includes the LQ9, transmission and everything!!!

like_a_rock
11-07-12, 11:42 PM
different diff housing as there is no axle engagment actuator , cheap bearing kit, not for low skill level though. usually the carrier bearings are what wear out.

ericdery
11-10-12, 08:33 AM
I believe i have the same moaning sound coming from the front diff. Already changed Brake Pads with Rotors and both hub assembly`s no luck. Im going to flush the fluids today to see if theres anything suspicious. I suspect carriers bearings to be the problem. I never did a rebuild on a differential but i think i can work this through. You said you had a digital service manual you could share it would be of great help. Thanx

the cadillac man
11-10-12, 10:32 AM
I believe i have the same moaning sound coming from the front diff. Already changed Brake Pads with Rotors and both hub assembly`s no luck. Im going to flush the fluids today to see if theres anything suspicious. I suspect carriers bearings to be the problem. I never did a rebuild on a differential but i think i can work this through. You said you had a digital service manual you could share it would be of great help. Thanx

Have you checked the transmission fluid it can cause the transmission to whine if it is low(and is a cheap fix) how to tell is get the truck up to speed to where it makes the whine and put the tranny in neutral if the whine goes away then it ain't the front diff

mikedyk43
11-10-12, 10:11 PM

Here is a download link to the digital manual I used:

https://www.box.com/shared/luccglfch1pfiel4y22j

Here is a picture of the tool I fabricated to properly adjust the backlash. It's just a 1/4 inch thick 3x2 steel that I cut with an angle grinder then put a grade 8 bolt through it. You will have to apply100lbs of torque through this tool so it has to be strong:

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u669/mikedyk43/IMG_20121110_190224_zps62a3d708.jpg

Ensure you set the backlash and torque correctly or you will be doing this again before you think. If you have any issues or problems feel free to PM me or post here again and I'll do my best to help.