: attaching front license plate

simgolfer
11-04-12, 07:18 PM
Living in a state with that requirement sucks. And since I don't want to put holes into my V, has anyone found a way of attaching a plate without holes or damaging the paint? Thanks.

CadillacLuke24
11-04-12, 07:37 PM
Zip tie it to your bottom grille. DO IT.

Cadillac Kid03
11-04-12, 08:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0r0x8l6GS4

CadillacLuke24
11-04-12, 08:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0r0x8l6GS4

That is BADASS!!

simgolfer
11-04-12, 09:25 PM
Yeah but I want to attach a European style plate. Zip tie may be an option if I can get hole in a euro plate.

Cadillac Kid03
11-04-12, 09:30 PM
Yeah but I want to attach a European style plate. Zip tie may be an option if I can get hole in a euro plate.They do make them for a European style plate. Just do some searching you'll find em.

The-Dullahan
11-05-12, 02:02 AM
Alternatively, I am sure Lowes is like...ten minutes from your house. They sell sheet metal.

jayoldschool
11-05-12, 06:39 PM
I use all weather velcro on my Impala SS. Custom fiberglass bumper, so I didn't want to drill. Has held up for 7 years, and is not garaged for six months.

Kev
11-05-12, 08:45 PM
JB Weld ...

:coffee:

cadi509
11-05-12, 09:58 PM
Just another reason why front plates should not be required

CadillacCastle
11-06-12, 11:59 PM
Just another reason why front plates should not be required I don't like front plates either but I think it help catch a lot of crooks. I am just glad Texas does not have the inspection sticker in the middle of the windshield. At least I don't see my license plate when I am driving my car. A front plate does not look good.

The-Dullahan
11-07-12, 04:49 AM
Hmmm. My Cadillac would look funny without a front plate. Generational difference.

Can you get away with leaving it on the dash in the window? I mean, people do that with REAR plates all the time, leaving them visible, but inside the rear window.

Rolex
11-07-12, 08:37 PM
:moved: out of the lounge.

Bigron
11-09-12, 12:32 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/229893-license-plate-holder-tow-hook-kit.html

M5eater
11-09-12, 12:33 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/229893-license-plate-holder-tow-hook-kit.html

I have this.

Do yourself a favor, the threaded rod and washers are bare Iron. paint them.

I've got nice rust stains dripping down my $130 piece of aluminum that I need to clean up this weekend.

You'll also figure out that because the plate doesn't sit flush to the holder, that it 'bends' around the bolt holes.

The statement about being adjustable is also false.

SoCalCTSV
11-11-12, 05:22 PM
Save 50% and the paint.

http://www.rhoplate.com/

soon to V
11-11-12, 06:13 PM
I take mine off a lot for track days and hot summer days with it in this location. I fold over the plate top and bottom (much the same as what a frame would cover - sorta!), put in some christmas tree fasteners. cut a rectangular piece of plex behind the grille with four holes that the christmas tree fasteners press into tightly, and then I cut 3 sides of the car's undertray to create a living hinge trap door that is held down with velcrow. I just reach up, pull off the plex piece, remove the plate from hangin in the grille, and I'm good to go. Too many tickets for running without front plate. Note one shot is from my first gen V. Similar use there.

bobrules
11-12-12, 02:08 AM
I take mine off a lot for track days and hot summer days with it in this location. I fold over the plate top and bottom (much the same as what a frame would cover - sorta!), put in some christmas tree fasteners. cut a rectangular piece of plex behind the grille with four holes that the christmas tree fasteners press into tightly, and then I cut 3 sides of the car's undertray to create a living hinge trap door that is held down with velcrow. I just reach up, pull off the plex piece, remove the plate from hangin in the grille, and I'm good to go. Too many tickets for running without front plate. Note one shot is from my first gen V. Similar use there.

Not too shabby. I'm pretty sure the front plate law requires the whole thing to be visible so they could still give a ticket if they want to be a jerk about it. And lets be honest, the cops who go out of their way to give front plate tickets are jerks. I've got a couple cop friends, who aren't jerks, and they don't bother people for front plates unless they're doing something illegal (speeding, expired paperwork etc).

soon to V
11-12-12, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. My argument will be that it has all the information they need to see. The state's (crapy logo), the registration sticker, and the license number. The fact that I have dark window tint over it (so that it blends better with the car) won't endear them to my plight (car's design over state's design), but so be it; at least for now! I think I heard that Illinois has passed (or is passing) a law that won't allow any covering over the plate. I guess photo blockers are catching up with them. So I think my time is quite limited anyway. Ugh!