: finally test drove an STS, still undecided

mhamilton
11-04-12, 07:50 AM
Been a long time since I've posted here, I had asked a while back about opinions of the STS compared with my old fwd Eldorado.

Finally ready to buy something new. Still undecided between a last generation Jaguar XJ8 (long wheelbase) and an STS. I actually leaned toward the Xj because I want the extra rear leg room. But, not to be going in blind, I went to the Cadillac dealer to have a test drive. An '08 Luxury package N* model... surprisingly, it changed my entire opinion on going with the Jag. The STS may be a more viable contender.

Really love going back to RWD, and the updated N* is so nice with the 6 speed. Was really impressed with the handing and precision of the steering and suspension, while still giving me the road isolation I like. Though I have to say, considering this car has 45 more hp, 15 more ft.lbs of torque, and 6 gears, I felt like it wasn't really much different than my old LD8 N* (275hp). Much better off-the-line performance, but I nailed it once and it didn't seem to shoot off like a rocket the way my old car does. I was expecting to be better with that much difference in spec.

Still have to go test drive an '07 XJ8 in the next week or so, but I'm not sure. I think the Cad will be better long-term with reliability. The Jag has air suspension issues, no remote start, and possibly no Bluetooth. And I have to see what the driving dynamic is like. I am completely over the wallowly ride of my Eldo (I like soft, but not jello). But, the STS isn't quite as large a car as I wanted, and lacks the auto parking brake, trunk pulldown (minor, I know, but these are features I like), and could easily be mistaken for a CTS. Hmmm...

Any suggestions or thoughts on the two?

-Michael

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-04-12, 07:58 AM
I have a 2005 sts that I bought in January and I love it. The car is a perfect size for me, not cts small or dts big

Ludacrisvp
11-04-12, 07:59 AM
the throttle response you mention i think relates to the electronic throttle control that is used now compared to your physical cable ESC ...
Also having the 6 gears usually when you punch it you have to down shift from 6th to 3rd or maybe 2nd depending on your speed.
Compare that to being in 4th and dropping to 3rd or possibly 2nd, so a lot less gear changes.
Try driving it in Sport or Manual mode?

truckinman
11-04-12, 11:08 AM
the throttle response you mention i think relates to the electronic throttle control that is used now compared to your physical cable ESC ...
Also having the 6 gears usually when you punch it you have to down shift from 6th to 3rd or maybe 2nd depending on your speed.
Compare that to being in 4th and dropping to 3rd or possibly 2nd, so a lot less gear changes.
Try driving it in Sport or Manual mode?

Yea sport mode you'll tell a huge difference in acceleration from a rolling start because you can down shift into that low passing gear b4 you stomp on the gas. That way you aren't waiting for the computer to do it for you. I've noticed that with my 05 V6. It really makes a world of difference. Not so much off the line, but, as I said, when you're already rolling at 30 mph or what ever.

EChas3
11-04-12, 12:33 PM
Older models with the 5-speed and lower ratios may demonstrate different throttle response. These cars do vary a lot between differently equipped examples. If you do move ahead with an STS, don't assume it will have all the same characteristics of the one you test-drove.

Have fun!

is3_ftw
11-04-12, 01:23 PM
Im doing some research as well.
Hope you get the STS and let me know how you felt about your decision

Good Luck

mhamilton
11-05-12, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the info... I did not try sport mode, didn't really play with any buttons or the nav system on my test drive.

On these cars, the different option groups (lux, sport, premium) had different axle ratios, right? So this lux car probably had a higher gear for better economy?

Was adaptive cruise only available with the heads-up display?

Also, on this particular car, I pressed the heated steering wheel button, the light did not turn on and I had no heated wheel. I remember reading these are a common failure item?

EChas3
11-05-12, 08:01 PM
Some heated wheels are hard/impossible to find. Get an IOU and it's the dealer's problem (or $$$$).

You have to play with the options to know these cars. Gearing is optional on most trim levels except that all AWD's have 3.23:1 (testing my memory!)

ACC requires HUD. Later years were available with HUD w/o ACC. V6's never got ACC (best of all IMHO).

mhamilton
11-06-12, 12:45 PM
The heated wheel was the 1st thing I wanted to try and it didn't work... salesman didn't know what to say about that.

Is the N* oil consumption really fixed on this gen engine? I can put up with a quart between oil changes, but not a quart every 1000-2000 miles.

curtc
11-06-12, 09:11 PM
Is the N* oil consumption really fixed on this gen engine? I can put up with a quart between oil changes, but not a quart every 1000-2000 miles.

Mine seems acceptable, just changed her after 8k or so, 15% OLM, only poured a quart in after about 6k.

EChas3
11-07-12, 04:45 PM
Mine doesn't use more than a few ounces betweeen changes (about 10,000 miles). My wife's uses about a quart in the same period.