: Installed Super Chip Cortex Programmer

sprink60
11-02-12, 08:20 PM
I had considered doing this for some time and pulled the trigger today. Installation was super easy and the results are phenomenal. I went with the performance tune and the stock shift pressure plus 18 PSI. I also removed the Speed Limiter.

The first thing I noticed was how smooth and effortless the ESV accelerates...even at part throttle. On the highway it seems to run 90 as effortlessly as it runs 70 with the stock programming. All of the shifts are precise and crisp...but not jerky. The user interface is very simple and easy to use. If I want to go to an economy 87 octane mileage tune or a "Tow" tune it only takes a few minutes to change the programming.

I called the Super Chip tech support guys for some tips on how to get the most out of the programmer and they were very helpful. They also explained how to download the latest updates and encouraged my input as to any future program changes I would like made in future revisions.

This is a lot of bang for the buck for $350 + tax.

PS my issue now is keeping my foot out of this thing. I drive 40 miles each way to work and I have to say...with the 22's and the Bridgestone Duelers and now with the programmer...this rig eats the road up like candy!! It zooms past 100 with ease....if I find myself in a traffic situation where I have to sprint into triple digits (I am not advocating this!!) to get clear of tailgaters...the ESV easily gets it done!!

And yes I have a good radar detector!!

mikedyk43
11-02-12, 10:36 PM
Sounds like you're having fun! I realize that this next question is not at the forefront of your mind right before you install a performance chip, but what have been the effects on your gas mileage?

sprink60
11-02-12, 11:26 PM
Sounds like you're having fun! I realize that this next question is not at the forefront of your mind right before you install a performance chip, but what have been the effects on your gas mileage?

No way to tell yet...just did it this AM so give me a few days to get a reading.

Seriously...I do plan in the next week or two to dial it back to economy and drive it like "Grand Dad" to see what it will actually do.

the cadillac man
11-02-12, 11:37 PM
I had considered doing this for some time and pulled the trigger today. Installation was super easy and the results are phenomenal. I went with the performance tune and the stock shift pressure plus 18 PSI. I also removed the Speed Limiter.

The first thing I noticed was how smooth and effortless the ESV accelerates...even at part throttle. On the highway it seems to run 90 as effortlessly as it runs 70 with the stock programming. All of the shifts are precise and crisp...but not jerky. The user interface is very simple and easy to use. If I want to go to an economy 87 octane mileage tune or a "Tow" tune it only takes a few minutes to change the programming.

I called the Super Chip tech support guys for some tips on how to get the most out of the programmer and they were very helpful. They also explained how to download the latest updates and encouraged my input as to any future program changes I would like made in future revisions.

This is a lot of bang for the buck for $350 + tax.

PS my issue now is keeping my foot out of this thing. I drive 40 miles each way to work and I have to say...with the 22's and the Bridgestone Duelers and now with the programmer...this rig eats the road up like candy!! It zooms past 100 with ease....if I find myself in a traffic situation where I have to sprint into triple digits (I am not advocating this!!) to get clear of tailgaters...the ESV easily gets it done!!

And yes I have a good radar detector!!

I may get a tuner like yours sometime sounds fun (I already have a radar detector as I have been over the speed limit without knowing it before like doing 90 in a 65 I know I have a heavy foot but I don't like tailgaters)

jnrsesv
11-03-12, 06:56 AM
"She's so fine my LQ9...."

:) good one!

MrHolland
11-03-12, 10:01 AM
Street racing is illegal on the streets as well as in the forum. If this thread moves in that direction more so than it already has I'll be forced to lock it and possibly issue infractions to those involved. Thank you all for understanding.

the cadillac man
11-03-12, 10:06 AM
Street racing is illegal on the streets as well as in the forum. If this thread moves in that direction more so than it already has I'll be forced to lock it and possibly issue infractions to those involved. Thank you all for understanding.

Mrholland I wasn't street racing just didn't realize I had got at the speed

sprink60
11-03-12, 10:22 AM
Mrholland I wasn't street racing just didn't realize I had got at the speed

Me either...I was at Moroso Motor Sports Park for test and tune...

http://morosomotorsportspark.com/todays-events/eventdetail/3776/-/test-tune

rfishoutofwater
11-03-12, 06:19 PM

Wow really? No where did he promote street racing! And what if he lived in Texas where the speed limit is 85 on the freeway. He was just saying how easy it was to get to a certain speed with out even realizing it. I find myself having to really watch my speed as it doesn't seem to be going 70 when I should be going 60. Does that mean I am promoting speeding. I think NOT!

chrisnlbc
11-04-12, 01:13 AM
Lol. Everyone knows Escalades are just the best suited car for street racing!!! Its so funny to read that an admin thinks he was promoting street racing. Come on. Really? He is telling us how he tuner reaponded.

the cadillac man
11-04-12, 01:23 AM
Lol. Everyone knows Escalades are just the best suited car for street racing!!! Its so funny to read that an admin thinks he was promoting street racing. Come on. Really? He is telling us how he tuner reaponded.

The resion is the engine is like the ones in the corvettes if not the same engine(performance breed and built) with the Cadillac logo(my uncle worked for gm that is how I know)

MrHolland
11-04-12, 01:38 AM
I am simply upholding the rules of the forum gentlemen. The post in question was deleted before you all had an opportunity to read it. I appreciate your concerns.

sprink60
11-04-12, 07:30 AM
I am simply upholding the rules of the forum gentlemen. The post in question was deleted before you all had an opportunity to read it. I appreciate your concerns.

I know....and I we appreciate you position, but I can't hep but say that I feel like I got sent to the principle's office and almost got licks for something that I didn't do!!!:hmm::nono:....but at least I didn't get suspended.:helpless::helpless:

At least you have to admit that WE have a lot of passion on this forum...which means that it's very healthy.!!:D

Cadillac...The Standard of the World...Again

sprink60
11-12-12, 09:53 PM
OK...after a week of commuting with the programmer I have some mileage figures.

When I set up the programmer my average MPG per the on board computer was 13.7 MPG. I played around the weekend I installed it which included a Saturday night at the drag strip. Sunday afternoon I reset the mileage computer. I drove 512 miles in 7 days and read the computer....15.3 MPG!! So an increase of 1.6 MPG with no other changes. My commute takes me along a route that includes 9 miles of surface streets and 31 miles of Florida Turnpike that I can run 70~75 MPH. I have the programmer set on the performance setting requiring 91 octane gasoline...I use 93. The 22" rims and tires I installed are .2" taller than the OEM 17" rims and I set the tire height in the programmer accordingly.

BTW...in the mix was approximately 20 miles of towing my 7500# boat!!

So far so good.

----------

MrHolland
11-12-12, 10:05 PM
Wow, not a bad increase and its a performance tune!!! Sounds like you made a good choice. Congrats!!

90limited
12-23-12, 06:22 AM
Are you still happy with the tuner?

sprink60
12-23-12, 08:29 AM
Very happy. I am also very pleased with the after sale support I received from Super Chips. They were very patient and helpful in helping through customization steps to set my ESV up for "my" needs and the way I drive. As good as the out of the box set up is, the ability to easily customize the programmer is a tremendous bonus.

The Super Chips tuner really unlocks the total performance potential of these vehicles. My partner has a 2007 Escalade with no mods. After he drove mine one day he came back with a smile on his face and said "A man could get in trouble driving your Escalade...it feels a lot stronger than mine does". He plans to do his soon.

90limited
12-23-12, 12:03 PM
Great... thanks for the feedback...

boge
05-09-13, 10:01 PM
Thanks sprink60 for letting me know how much fun the cortex programmer is after reading this thread I pulled the trigger on one also.I also went with the performance tune. Despite reading about it before hand I was surprised with the results better than I imagined, my escalade is now a true beast uncaged.I plan on going economy after this weekend as of now I avg 15.4 mpg ill run eco for a week and post results

the cadillac man
05-09-13, 10:36 PM
Thanks sprink60 for letting me know how much fun the cortex programmer is after reading this thread I pulled the trigger on one also.I also went with the performance tune. Despite reading about it before hand I was surprised with the results better than I imagined, my escalade is now a true beast uncaged.I plan on going economy after this weekend as of now I avg 15.4 mpg ill run eco for a week and post results

Try resetting the average mpg meter at next fill up and see if it changes before you mess with the tuning again

sprink60
05-11-13, 09:43 PM

Yeah I know...it really is remarkable!!!:worship:Now just TRY to keep your foot out of it!! LOL

the cadillac man
05-12-13, 01:29 AM
Yeah I know...it really is remarkable!!!:worship:Now just TRY to keep your foot out of it!! LOL

I know I couldn't he he(I know I have a heavy foot the 345 horses make me sometimes)

boge
05-20-13, 08:10 PM
Well its been a week of driving with the eco setting on the cortex, I kept a close eye on my avg mpg and it varied a lot depending if I was driving on the expressway or city driving I never seen it move so much so fast.during interstate driving it would go as high as 15.6 mpg to a low of 12.4 mpg city.over all judging from the amount of cash spent on fuel and my fuel gauge there was no improvement. I'm not upset I did not buy the thing for improved mpg just to wake the engine up a lil and that's what I got so to me it was defiantly worth the $

sprink60
05-21-13, 09:46 PM
Well its been a week of driving with the eco setting on the cortex, I kept a close eye on my avg mpg and it varied a lot depending if I was driving on the expressway or city driving I never seen it move so much so fast.during interstate driving it would go as high as 15.6 mpg to a low of 12.4 mpg city.over all judging from the amount of cash spent on fuel and my fuel gauge there was no improvement. I'm not upset I did not buy the thing for improved mpg just to wake the engine up a lil and that's what I got so to me it was defiantly worth the $

OK...don't trust the computer totally for real numbers. do the math the old way...miles traveled since last fill up divided by gallons purchased. I ran mine for a week on economy running 87 regular. I got 15.5. I changed back to performance requiring 92 premium and got 15.3 driving sanely. Driving without an eye for mileage I got 14.9. With no tune in factory mode I average 13.9.

I did a test on 100 miles of Interstate with High performance tune...running 90 octane RV gasoline (no ethanol) with the cruise set on 65 mph. I got 18.7 mpg. After running that tank out I filled up with 93 10% Ethanol and ran the same 100 miles at 65 mph with the cruise control. I got 16.9 MPG...thats a difference of almost 2 MPG which is significant.

As a comparison...my boat with twin 425 horse Vortec Chevy Small blocks will run 76 MPH on 90 Octane real gasoline and 72 on 93 Octane 10% Ethanol gas.

My conclusion: If you can buy and run 100% non ethanol pure gasoline...at around $3.90~4.00/gallon...run it...that's the best bang for the buck. The truck seems to perform better on the pure gasoline also. The tuner will maximize the result of what ever you use.

JamieD
05-22-13, 02:34 PM
OK...don't trust the computer totally for real numbers. do the math the old way...miles traveled since last fill up divided by gallons purchased. I ran mine for a week on economy running 87 regular. I got 15.5. I changed back to performance requiring 92 premium and got 15.3 driving sanely. Driving without an eye for mileage I got 14.9. With no tune in factory mode I average 13.9.

I did a test on 100 miles of Interstate with High performance tune...running 90 octane RV gasoline (no ethanol) with the cruise set on 65 mph. I got 18.7 mpg. After running that tank out I filled up with 93 10% Ethanol and ran the same 100 miles at 65 mph with the cruise control. I got 16.9 MPG...thats a difference of almost 2 MPG which is significant.

As a comparison...my boat with twin 425 horse Vortec Chevy Small blocks will run 76 MPH on 90 Octane real gasoline and 72 on 93 Octane 10% Ethanol gas.

My conclusion: If you can buy and run 100% non ethanol pure gasoline...at around $3.90~4.00/gallon...run it...that's the best bang for the buck. The truck seems to perform better on the pure gasoline also. The tuner will maximize the result of what ever you use.

So does this mean that the stock factory tune you get 13.9 mpg, and when tuned you increased your mileage to ~15.5? That seems to make it definitely worth the money in the long run; not even considering the fun factor!