: Hyundai Kia retract mileage claims-- not so much MPG eh?

M5eater
11-02-12, 05:39 PM
http://t.autos.msn.com/news/hyundai-kia-retract-mileage-claims-1

Automakers overestimated mpg, will compensate buyers

Hyundai and Kia overstated the estimated fuel economy on more than 900,000 U.S. vehicles sold over the past two years and will compensate owners for the faulty claims, a newspaper reported.

well well well.. dirty Koreans!
http://haveabadone.homedns.org/media/blogs/Wind-UpRubberFinger/north_korea/kim_jong-il_cd.jpg

Stingroo
11-02-12, 05:46 PM
That is very...

*puts on sunglasses*

Kim Jong-ILL of them.

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(Wrong Korea. I know; don't care.)

Jesda
11-02-12, 06:56 PM
Looks pretty minor

Submariner409
11-02-12, 07:17 PM
Mileage, unexplained surges, weird gas pedals, bad brakes, bad batteries, fuel tank recalls, mirror motors, lousy tires, squeaky brakes, and on, and on, and on.................. No one is immune, and not one "car maker" on earth tells the whole truth.

No matter how you cut it, Hyundai offers a lot of bang for the buck - and the fuel mileage is nothing to sneeze at, either - inflated or not.

gary88
11-02-12, 07:33 PM
Pokemon cars, apparently.

M5eater
11-02-12, 07:49 PM
Mileage, unexplained surges, weird gas pedals, bad brakes, bad batteries, fuel tank recalls, mirror motors, lousy tires, squeaky brakes, and on, and on, and on.................. No one is immune, and not one "car maker" on earth tells the whole truth.

No matter how you cut it, Hyundai offers a lot of bang for the buck - and the fuel mileage is nothing to sneeze at, either - inflated or not.

some people say they lie about the power output of their engines.

at what point do you cry foul instead of trying to defend them?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-02-12, 10:28 PM
Well that was a vague article. I've never heard any complaints from my Kia clients. Not saying that it doesn't exist, but it's not a catastrophe like the Ford/Firestone debacle or the Toyota unintended acceleration from 2008.

talismandave
11-03-12, 12:27 AM
some people say they lie about the power output of their engines.

I guess that would bother me if I bought my car mail order, if I have driven it and saw how it performed, who cares about numbers in a book? Bench racers? The gas milage would bother me more because that I can't check on a test drive. Even that would have to be a big difference. I don't know anyone who believes they are going to get the stated mileage on any car.

CadillacLuke24
11-03-12, 01:36 AM
Well, as the ol' saying goes, if you're not cheating, you're not winning :duck:

Kidding, kidding. That's somewhat entertaining though. They may not necessarily be the US's most fuel efficient car maker.

Submariner409
11-03-12, 01:23 PM

Not defending anyone or anything, merely stating fact based on personal knowledge of 3 Hyundai Sonata owners - one being a daughter of mine. Her Sonata is 2 years old, has 53,000 miles on it already (she's a chain jewelery store auditor and travels all over New England), has been dead nuts reliable and returns well over 30 mpg on 87. I've driven it and was suitably impressed - it's not a Beemer, it's a Hyundai.

truckinman
11-03-12, 01:45 PM
I guess that would bother me if I bought my car mail order, if I have driven it and saw how it performed, who cares about numbers in a book? Bench racers? The gas milage would bother me more because that I can't check on a test drive. Even that would have to be a big difference. I don't know anyone who believes they are going to get the stated mileage on any car.

Plus gas mileage really is a hard thing to debate here too bc there are SO many factors that goes into the mpg. So if you're not meeting the EXACT criteria that the manufacturer used, you aren't going to get the same mileage. I mean everything matters. From the PSI in each tire, to the driving habits, to the amount of passengers in the car.

CadillacLuke24
11-03-12, 03:18 PM
BINGO! We have a winner!

Most people are not willing to admit that there is so many variables that play into actual fuel mileage, such as truckinman just mentioned. For example, my DeVille is rated for 17 in the city and 26 on the highway. I've never EVER seen 17 city. Maybe 15 tops. I'm a leadfoot in town. :D Not a speeder, but I take every chance I can to mash the loud pedal. On the highway, though, I'm driving Miss Daisy. :D Set my cruise at the speed limit, run nothin' but 91 (at least I try) and my tires are inflated to 32 PSI. I reliably get right around 27-28 MPG.

cadillac kevin
11-03-12, 05:24 PM
BINGO! We have a winner!

Most people are not willing to admit that there is so many variables that play into actual fuel mileage, such as truckinman just mentioned. For example, my DeVille is rated for 17 in the city and 26 on the highway. I've never EVER seen 17 city. Maybe 15 tops. I'm a leadfoot in town. :D Not a speeder, but I take every chance I can to mash the loud pedal. On the highway, though, I'm driving Miss Daisy. :D Set my cruise at the speed limit, run nothin' but 91 (at least I try) and my tires are inflated to 32 PSI. I reliably get right around 27-28 MPG.

Yup...I get 16.5 (mostly city) in the equinox. EPA rating is 17 mpg city. I will say, the last tank was half city, half highway (coming back from columbia, then driving it around town for the week) and I got just under 25 mpg. I was happy.

77CDV
11-03-12, 05:28 PM
Back when, the Big Three used to increase HP from year to year with the stroke of the ad man's pen. No one so much as peeped. This really sounds like much ado about nothing.

Playdrv4me
11-04-12, 01:38 AM
This might be of some value if fuel economy was Hyundai/Kia's sole calling card anymore, but it isn't. The cars hold their own in way more areas than that.

Submariner409
11-04-12, 10:42 AM
All political posts moved to a new thread in Current Issues: "It's almost over ..........."