: Here's a stupid question involving the TPS

Xaqtly
11-02-12, 01:49 PM
My original tires are wearing low now at ~24,000 miles, so I just bought a set of new tires to replace them. Pilot Super Sports, 265/30/19 and 295/30/19. My question is whether putting new tires on the same rims will do anything to the tire pressure sensors. Will they need recalibration or to be reset or anything like that? I know if you swap rims you have to reset them, but I wasn't sure about just swapping tires.

Can I just take them to any tire shop to have it done, or does the dealer have to do something with them? See, I told you it was a stupid question. But since I haven't done it before I thought I'd ask to make sure.

cruiser68
11-02-12, 02:09 PM
Not stupid. You can reuse the wheels and sensors. You just need to perform "relearn" of the sensors. Use the following procedure.

Key to run (engine not running)
Hold lock and unlock buttons on key fob. This will put it into learn mode.
Starting with the Driver side front, release air from the tire until the horn beeps once. This may take 20-30 second.
Once you hear the horn, move to the pass rear, wait for the horn, then driver rear, wait for the horn, then driver front.

You will get a double horn when it finishes. Then go put air in your tires.

Basically when you let air out, the sensor starts transmitting and the car lock onto it.

Lastly, if they put the SAME wheels in the SAME location on the vehicle, you do not have to relearn. Any competent tire shop should know how to do this and may even have a tool so you don't need to let air out to calibrate.

FLTRI
11-02-12, 02:26 PM
Can't help you on the sensors, but would like to see what you think of the PSS's. Do they protrude past the rim like the stock PS2's to protect the wheel? Is the outside diameter the same? Ride, handling, performance, tire noise? Pics???

Xaqtly
11-02-12, 05:04 PM
I haven't got them yet, just ordered them today. I should have them on Monday, they're shipping from tire rack's warehouse in Reno. I'll definitely share my impressions once I've got them on, or we can meet up somewhere if you want to see them in person.

mountainv
11-02-12, 05:39 PM
Remember to put your parking brake on before you start the process. I just did mine yesterday.

1997BlackETC
11-02-12, 05:54 PM
Why would it even be necessary to perform a re-learn if you just put the tires back on the same rims and in the same location (ie left front, etc) they came off? The sensor is part of the valve stem and just stays in that rim all the time right? I'd think if the tires were put back in the same corner the TPM would think nothing had changed?

larry arizona
11-02-12, 06:02 PM
Why would it even be necessary to perform a re-learn if you just put the tires back on the same rims and in the same location (ie left front, etc) they came off? The sensor is part of the valve stem and just stays in that rim all the time right? I'd think if the tires were put back in the same corner the TPM would think nothing had changed?

you are correct sir. If they put the rim back on the correct sides they came off of, no need for relearn.

Lenvo65
11-02-12, 07:52 PM
Does this work on 2012 models? Owners manual references a relearn tool. I am putting snow tire/wheels on with sensors the car has not seen before.

larry arizona
11-02-12, 09:14 PM
all V2's have the relearn process ONLY if you change the original rim position which there is no reason as rotation is pointless. Only if your installer mixes up side to side and that would indicate to me a retarded installer.

1997BlackETC
11-02-12, 11:31 PM
I do know the dealers use a re-learn tool that is a little hand held dohicky that they just walk around the car with and hold next to the valve stem of each wheel after the car is put into the TPS learn mode, no need to bother letting the air out of each tire with this tool, not sure if it's available to the public or not? If so I can imagine they get a few bucks for it. With new sensors such as going with separate rims for snows you'd have to perform a re-learn. In such an instance might just be best off having the dealer mount the snows on the new rims.

tedcmiller
11-02-12, 11:50 PM
The people who are supposed to know say that if the owner's manual says use the tool, then the tire deflation method will not work. The tool is available from the dealer (they might have to order it) for approx $65 - no small change. I have a 2009 CTS-V that doesn't mention the tool and the deflation method works. My wife has 2013 CTS-V, and the owner's manual says use the tool. I haven't tried the deflation method so I don't know for sure that it doesn't work. Also, supposedly the previous tool was simply a stong magnet and 5 or more RadioShack circular magnets over the valve stem would work. The people that supposedly know say this form of tool will also not work. Again I haven't tried it, so I don't know.

One question to the original poster. How did you get 24,000 miles out of the original tires? I have very low (less than 9000 miles) on my original tires and they are almost gone. I don't know of anyone who has gotten more that 12,000 miles out of a set of original PS2s. Anyway the sizes you give are not original sizes, but you don't say whether the the sizes you give are the old worn out tires (if they are the size you specify, they are not original) or the newly order tires.

V locity
11-03-12, 08:53 AM
Back to the OP...

No need to even touch the TPS's. The tire co just wants a "rebuild fee" from you.

Put the rims back on the original locations & the car will never even know.

Xaqtly
11-05-12, 12:00 PM
One question to the original poster. How did you get 24,000 miles out of the original tires? I have very low (less than 9000 miles) on my original tires and they are almost gone.

I have a decently long commute and I've taken a few long trips. Those things are not hard on the tires, and while I do enjoy carving up on-ramps or doing burnouts to impress friends at work (actually I've only done that maybe 4 times) I'm generally very easy on my tires. They are getting low though, the right rear especially is right at the wear bars pretty much. The tires on my car now are the original OEM PS2s that came on the car. The non-stock sizes I listed are my new PSS tires. They should be delivered today, and I'm hoping to get them put on tonight if I have time.

Thanks everybody for the TPS info, much appreciated. Since there is no reason to rotate the rim position, hopefully I won't have to do anything with the sensors.

larry arizona
11-05-12, 01:55 PM
X,

Just tell your installer to put them on the same corner they came off of. Saves youy the headache and him the work.

Xaqtly
11-05-12, 06:40 PM
Tires acquired, going to try to get them installed tonight.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh238/xaqtly/tires.jpeg

FLTRI
11-05-12, 06:49 PM
Nice! Anxious to hear your review, and installed pics...

flatrockguy
11-05-12, 08:49 PM
Will the tires fit in the car to transport to tire shop? I'm going to get some snow tires but have concerns wether I can fit the old tire in the trunk and back seat to get home. In plastic bags of course!

thebigjimsho
11-05-12, 08:56 PM
4 tires will fit in the back seat.

tedcmiller
11-05-12, 11:25 PM
TWICE the mileage that anyone else has gotten! Pretty far out. I still find it hard to believe.

Xaqtly
11-06-12, 12:21 AM
Yeah I can't explain it but those PS2s were definitely the original tires. I bought the car with 8k miles on it, and when I got it the tires looked about half worn or so. Then I personally put the other 16k miles on it. I think it just has to do with the type of driving, since it's pretty mellow most of the time. They might have died sooner if I had done rolling burnouts to the grocery store and back, haha.

I got the Super Sports put on tonight, haven't driven on them enough to form a good opinion yet, my initial impressions are that the ride is *slightly* harsher but almost unnoticeably so, turn-in is sharper and I actually have traction in 2nd gear now. Road noise seems to be the same as the PS2s, i.e. fairly quiet. more impressions tomorrow, I'll get some pictures too. They stick out *very* slightly more than the rim, they actually look pretty flush.

I put all 4 tires in the back of the wagon with the rear seat down. I had to stack one of them on top of two of the others to get all 4 to fit, but it wasn't a problem.

Xaqtly
11-06-12, 02:25 PM
Here are pics of the tires. Because they're wider than stock, you can see they're a little "puffy", going over the rim a tiny bit. But it's almost unnoticeable. The sidewall is obviously shorter than the stock PS2s, and that does lead to a bit more hardness in the ride, but it's pretty slight. I had to really pay attention to notice the difference. Turn-in is quicker now which is nice, and the rears to appear to be grippier because I don't just go sideways in 2nd gear any more. I think the tires are still a little greasy so I'm going to give them a couple days to break in before really testing the limits of grip. They're not any louder than the PS2s - in fact they might even be quieter.

I had no issues with the tire pressure sensors as the guys at Big O were familiar with the issues and put the wheels back on the car in their original positions.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh238/xaqtly/tires1.jpeg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh238/xaqtly/tires2.jpeg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh238/xaqtly/tires3.jpeg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh238/xaqtly/tires4.jpeg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh238/xaqtly/tires5.jpeg

tedcmiller
11-06-12, 03:35 PM
I don't do burnouts, go to the track, or anything else that would use up a tire, and, like I said, I have less than 9000 miles on them. My tires are mostly gone on the rear (the front is OK). I doubt that I will get 12,000 miles on the rear. I still find it hard to believe.

FLTRI
11-06-12, 06:24 PM
I don't do burnouts, go to the track, or anything else that would use up a tire, and, like I said, I have less than 9000 miles on them. My tires are mostly gone on the rear (the front is OK). I doubt that I will get 12,000 miles on the rear. I still find it hard to believe.

Just checked my stock PS2's. 8623 miles, 7/32 left both front and rear. Maybe it's a Vagon thing...

----------

Here are pics of the tires. Because they're wider than stock, you can see they're a little "puffy", going over the rim a tiny bit. But it's almost unnoticeable. The sidewall is obviously shorter than the stock PS2s, and that does lead to a bit more hardness in the ride, but it's pretty slight. I had to really pay attention to notice the difference. Turn-in is quicker now which is nice, and the rears to appear to be grippier because I don't just go sideways in 2nd gear any more. I think the tires are still a little greasy so I'm going to give them a couple days to break in before really testing the limits of grip. They're not any louder than the PS2s - in fact they might even be quieter.

I had no issues with the tire pressure sensors as the guys at Big O were familiar with the issues and put the wheels back on the car in their original positions.

Nice! Thanks for the pics! Is the outside diameter the same as the PS2's, they look smaller???

Xaqtly
11-06-12, 07:24 PM
Yeah these are 30 sidewall tires, meaning the sidewall (vertically from rim to tread) is 30% of the tire's width. The OEM PS2s are 255/40 in the front and 285/35 in the rear, so the sidewall on those measures 102mm in front and 99.75mm in the rear.

On the new tires, the sidewall measures 79.5mm in front and 88.5mm in the rear. They're kind of like rubber bands on those wheels, haha.

FSTMRFR
11-06-12, 10:17 PM
Subscribing....

Lenvo65
11-07-12, 10:28 AM
Relative to the original posting- I was going to buy the $65 tool - but my dealer said they will do the resets for free regardless of where I got the tires - stopped in this morning, in and out in 10 minutes, including getting a free cup of starbucks coffee and a bagel in the dealer's lounge. Snow forcast for tonight so perfect timing for me.

Xaqtly
11-07-12, 12:09 PM
That's good to know too, especially if you're planning on changing rims.