: Madtuner 05-06 tuning

1BadCadSTS
11-02-12, 02:29 PM
Got the cable today and tuning beings tomorrow. Will report results. Car is a 05 STS 1sg awd with volant and corsa.

Ludacrisvp
11-02-12, 03:02 PM
Sounds good. I'm sure the older STS owners will be very curious to see these.

malatu
11-02-12, 08:39 PM
Sounds good. I'm sure the older STS owners will be very curious to see these.

Yep. I can't wait and I'm holding my breath with anticipation!

:lies:

scott9001
11-02-12, 08:45 PM
Never herd of it should do some research where did you get it?

1BadCadSTS
11-02-12, 09:19 PM
He's the only one to hack the 04-06 n* tcm and ecm. We're tuning mine. Going to try and eliminate the shift pattern issues the Awd cars have as well as fix throttle response.

EChas3
11-02-12, 10:20 PM
Throttle response issue? I had one until I had a wiring issue fixed and TB cleaned. Top Tier gas helps, too.

1BadCadSTS
11-03-12, 09:52 AM
Never ran anything other than Sunoco 93 octane in mine.

----------

So far still trying to fix a glitch. His software is no communicating with the cable. After countless reinstalls and attempts to load on 3 different laptops I'm currently on hold until he answers my email on how to fix it.

1BadCadSTS
11-03-12, 11:14 AM
Different software fixed the problem. Should have street results by end of today on the tcm tune. ECM will likely be next week to test the tcm.

Subsailor613
11-04-12, 08:37 AM
Would you please explain the cable and software you described above,Laptops ?
I thought the MadTuner ONLY has swap out modules ?
Thanks

1BadCadSTS
11-04-12, 09:28 AM
He used to.

Since Im working with him to address several issues with these cars and his car is a RWD it is far easier to test by being able to tune on the go rather than keep swapping tcms sending them in etc...

He provided me a loaner cable with deposit and I am road testing cals until we get it dialed in. Then comes the dyno testing.

http://i48.tinypic.com/o8we3m.png

A little teaser pic to show what I mean.

Just finished sending him my stock ecm cal with my used tcm hooked up. He will make a tuned cal send it back I'll upload and test and then let him know my thoughts from there.

Main issues we are attempting to solve (at least my major concerns)

Throttle lag
Torque converter lock up "clunk" during coasting
Tiptronic shifting lag between selecting upshift and the car actually upshifting

Ludacrisvp
11-04-12, 11:02 AM
Throttle lag
Torque converter lock up "clunk" during coasting
Tiptronic shifting lag between selecting upshift and the car actually upshifting
Those bug me on my 08 too, not sure about the torque converter lock up though...
can you find out if there is any 'desired slip' when in 6th gear? the camaro or vette guys mentioned this of there being like a 100-200 rpm desired slip when in lockup and removing this slip improved mileage ... i may be a bit fuzzy on the details, might want to check the hptuners board on that. long long day today.

1BadCadSTS
11-04-12, 11:07 AM
Sure I can ask him

The 07+ uses a different ECM TCM and Transmission but he did say he could tune those as well.

1BadCadSTS
11-04-12, 01:41 PM
After a minor cable set back we have flashed my TCM back to factory (shipped) tune before the chuggle cal which netted better (but not perfect dialed in yet obviously) shift points.

He thinks and I agree since that seems to be the prefered cal for most on this forum we should attempt to build off that one.

EChas3
11-04-12, 03:38 PM
I agree with the methodology of building off the OEM TCM program. The original design engineers would have spent a lot of effort to make the best choices for a production car. How do you know for sure? Did you have a 'virgin' TCM?

Members have reported from multiple dealers that all they can get is the current approved program. There have been several.

1BadCadSTS
11-04-12, 05:53 PM
Exactly

He has access (not sure how) to all the TCM cals GM put out for these cars.

After driving around in my old orginal TCM cal for a bit to get used to it again he set me the 1st custom tune.

Things done on this tune

No torque reduction anywhere. 50% quicker desired shift times. 30% firmer in normal mode. 60% firmer in manual mode.

My responses to him based on 15 minute run....

He hit it spot on with the firmness, love it and Im sure most of the guys who DD their car will love it too, its enough to know its been done but not to the point that it feels like your driving an auto with a transbrake

Things I did notice:

1-2 WOT shift is perfect spot on crisp exact, I have requested he make no change at any throttle position on this

Manual mode

completely off throttle
2-1 downshift sucks still. I can upshift 1-2 at 45, it wont let me down shift until under 38 used to a manual and being able to "engine brake" the car I guess

Sport mode

WOT
2-3 and 3-4 shifts seem to come pretty early, car seems to be just below 5800 rpms before it shifts def feel improment could be made.

Again these are off a quick run, the drive back and forth to work will make better notes on things and get this 5000 lbs pig feeling a bit more trim and sporty.

We are definately on the right track....

studio caddi
11-05-12, 09:51 PM
Funny I know a tuner who has tuned the 06 with all-wheel drive and rear wheel drive with both the V8 and V6 along with the 08 with both the V6 and the V8 with both all-wheel drive and rear wheel drive with great results .

EChas3
11-05-12, 10:13 PM
Why not share contact info?

Sounds fishy to me.

1BadCadSTS
11-05-12, 10:34 PM
There isnt thats why

The V8 is hacked 07 Plus and the V6 hacked for all years. Only one on the 04-06 N* RWD is Madtune who is excellent thus far and an absolute pleasure to work with.

is3_ftw
11-07-12, 11:58 PM
Funny I know a tuner who has tuned the 06 with all-wheel drive and rear wheel drive with both the V8 and V6 along with the 08 with both the V6 and the V8 with both all-wheel drive and rear wheel drive with great results .

LMAO!!! Troll

Platinum06
11-08-12, 12:56 AM
You guys have my intrest...

1BadCadSTS
11-08-12, 07:21 AM
Whatcha need to know?

Platinum06
11-08-12, 04:34 PM
To start with, can this be done on my 07 with AWD? I think i have the 6L50...

1BadCadSTS
11-08-12, 06:04 PM
You do. And he can tune that as well.

Platinum06
11-08-12, 06:05 PM
Great news....I see the speed limiter can be bumped also.

1BadCadSTS
11-08-12, 06:34 PM
Yup. Great guy. I don't usually push but I've had hp tuners and hypertech. The support he gives and experience is too notch.

1BadCadSTS
12-20-12, 10:38 AM
Update

My car has been in the shop several times recently none of which is a result of the tunes (cam actuators coils and a bad abs pump) so it's been hard to dial everything in with a hard tune since the pas keeps having to relearn after every trip

We have a tune which I think is pretty solid for the oem stock factory cal. It holds gears longer when throttleing up which netted 2.8 mpg increase on my 1sg awd (up from 13). Issue with this that it does hold gear and thus has alot of pedal travel before the kick down.

We are now on a post surge cal based off the most recent tcm cal for those wanting performance over fuel Econ. This will likely be the tune I keep in my car.

V Force
01-06-13, 03:28 AM
Update

We have a tune which I think is pretty solid for the oem stock factory cal. It holds gears longer when throttleing up which netted 2.8 mpg increase on my 1sg awd (up from 13). Issue with this that it does hold gear and thus has alot of pedal travel before the kick down.

We are now on a post surge cal based off the most recent tcm cal for those wanting performance over fuel Econ. This will likely be the tune I keep in my car.

Any new updates? Been following this thread and was curious if there was anything out to help with fuel economy.

Thanks

1BadCadSTS
01-06-13, 09:16 AM
Answer to that is just above and in te reply you made. Don't really see how you could of missed it if you read the thread.

orange57
01-06-13, 12:23 PM
Is this tuning available to the public and everyone? I'd be interested in a little improved mpg's, as my commute is pretty short and all surface roads.

1BadCadSTS
01-06-13, 12:39 PM
Sure. Contact him say 1bad sent you and your interested in the pre surge cal tune

orange57
01-06-13, 01:05 PM
1Bad,

Is Madtuner a member on here. Apologies for my ignorance.

Thanks,

matt

Subsailor613
01-06-13, 01:50 PM
YES, He is.
Punch in "Mad Tuner" in the Google search
on the right hand top of this page.
Mentioned on here since Feb.2012
HE logged on here about Aug 2012 !
Happy Motoring.

V Force
01-06-13, 02:18 PM
It holds gears longer when throttleing up which netted 2.8 mpg increase on my 1sg awd (up from 13).

Answer to that is just above and in te reply you made. Don't really see how you could of missed it if you read the thread.

I didn't miss it, I just did not understand your numbers and lingo. I guess you were only getting 13mpg to begin with (the part I am shocked by) and that only a transmission tune netted you 15.8mpg which equates to an overall 21% increase in fuel mileage.

1BadCadSTS
01-06-13, 05:17 PM
Awd 18s cold climate out. Bout normal. My fwd Seville STS only got 16.5

V Force
01-07-13, 10:22 PM
Awd 18s cold climate out. Bout normal. My fwd Seville STS only got 16.5
Ouch!!! I'm bitc#ing about only getting 18.1 in my V8 STS4. If I do a lot of city driving it plummets to the 15's and I
am VERY light on the throttle. I have other vehicles for that.

Ludacrisvp
01-08-13, 02:13 PM
Don't baby her too much or she'll start drinking oil.

curtc
01-08-13, 08:55 PM
Don't baby her too much or she'll start drinking oil.

:yeah: carbon buildup will occur around the rings.

Nice N* saying;

A WOT once a day keeps the carbon away.

Ludacrisvp
01-24-13, 10:56 PM
How goes the tune after having it done for a while? Still seeing that mpg boost? How's the power now?

1BadCadSTS
01-26-13, 08:51 AM
Winter kills my testing.

Car is at 15.2 with new tune. Not as good with "overdrive" tune but it also kicks down closer to how I want it. Also winter air and "formula" gas will decrease mpg.

Not to mention the car is constantly at the dealer for cam codes. Last time I took it I forgot to pull the tune. Dealer called "do you have custom tuning"..."on my ECM currently no my tcm yes"... "Well the tech found some anomalies in your ECM which could be causing the false cam code we are reflashing it with a different cal to see if that helps"

1BadCadSTS
02-24-13, 11:19 PM
Bumping post for current members....

aliskerov
03-05-13, 01:36 AM
1BadCad,

Ive been dying to get a bit more power out of my N* and know that there isn't much out there. I wanted to see what your thoughts were on how close these tunes are to being finalized and what the difference ends up being when compared to stock. Thanks

1BadCadSTS
03-05-13, 12:49 PM
Awd or rwd?

aliskerov
03-09-13, 02:44 AM
I was hoping it wouldnt matter; mine is rwd.