: Suspension issue

vicb
11-02-12, 10:12 AM
Was driving my wifes escalade yesterday for the first time in a while. I think i recall when you start it, it would make a noise in the back from the air suspension getting ready. When i started yesterday i heard no noise from the suspension at start up, but i am not getting any error messages.

when you start the escalade, does the suspension make noise as if it is filling with air, or do we have an issue?

the cadillac man
11-02-12, 10:56 AM
Was driving my wifes escalade yesterday for the first time in a while. I think i recall when you start it, it would make a noise in the back from the air suspension getting ready. When i started yesterday i heard no noise from the suspension at start up, but i am not getting any error messages.

when you start the escalade, does the suspension make noise as if it is filling with air, or do we have an issue?

Try this turn the key on with the engine off and see if you hear the compressor if not then something isn't normal and you should be getting the service ride control message(and a code would be in the system that the tech-2 can read)

vicb
11-02-12, 12:07 PM
Did as you suggested. No noise from compressor and no service ride control message. About 6 months ago we had new tires put on..could that have caused an issue?

the cadillac man
11-02-12, 04:52 PM
Did as you suggested. No noise from compressor and no service ride control message. About 6 months ago we had new tires put on..could that have caused an issue?

It depends on if they used a lift but I doubt it really causing the issue.

What year is the truck?

Maybe the compressor motor has failed from age.

vicb
11-02-12, 05:10 PM
2005..Have about 80,000 miles on it.

the cadillac man
11-02-12, 08:48 PM
2005..Have about 80,000 miles on it.

Something seems odd have you checked the fuses?
There is a relay for this next the fuse box under the hood

TLMC
11-02-12, 10:16 PM
The only way the compressor would run every time you started the truck would be if you had a leak in the system. If there is no leak the compressor will not run on start up.

mikedyk43
11-02-12, 11:54 PM
The only way the compressor would run every time you started the truck would be if you had a leak in the system. If there is no leak the compressor will not run on start up.

I don't mean to thread jack, but I've read this quote several times from several different members and I have a related question. I have noticed that when I shut my Escalade off and get out I can hear the air pressure from the rear end release. It is usually about 1 minute after getting out and it is a distinctive rush of air, not a leak. Naturally since the air pressure releases when i get out, the compressor must run and fill the bags up again when i start it. I have always assumed this was supposed to happen. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

the cadillac man
11-03-12, 12:32 AM
I don't mean to thread jack, but I've read this quote several times from several different members and I have a related question. I have noticed that when I shut my Escalade off and get out I can hear the air pressure from the rear end release. It is usually about 1 minute after getting out and it is a distinctive rush of air, not a leak. Naturally since the air pressure releases when i get out, the compressor must run and fill the bags up again when i start it. I have always assumed this was supposed to happen. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I am thinking the shocks has a leak that is sealed when a certain amount of wight is in the truck

This how I checked mine get some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray the shocks fully where the bladders are then start the truck (while sitting in it) wait till the air compressor shuts off wait a few minutes,

then get out and watch and wait till you hear the air noise and see if there is bubbles if there is any there there is a leak and the shocks need replacing(mine blew out at night I inspected the shocks but till I soaked them with the soapy water I didn't find the leak) I hope I have helped

mikedyk43
11-03-12, 01:59 AM
I am thinking the shocks has a leak that is sealed when a certain amount of wight is in the truck

This how I checked mine get some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray the shocks fully where the bladders are then start the truck (while sitting in it) wait till the air compressor shuts off wait a few minutes,

then get out and watch and wait till you hear the air noise and see if there is bubbles if there is any there there is a leak and the shocks need replacing(mine blew out at night I inspected the shocks but till I soaked them with the soapy water I didn't find the leak) I hope I have helped

I thought about that, however if that were case, the pressure would release immediately after exiting the vehicle. It just seems too controlled for it to not be intentional. It sounds like a valve opens and lets the air out.

the cadillac man
11-03-12, 11:03 AM
I thought about that, however if that were case, the pressure would release immediately after exiting the vehicle. It just seems too controlled for it to not be intentional. It sounds like a valve opens and lets the air out.

It depends on where the leak is at but if it is a valve then the module may be the culprit(this is next to the rear air system) the best way may be to probe the system and see what's up

vicb
11-03-12, 03:25 PM

I could have sworn in the past at start up the compressor would make noise. So you are saying that isn't the case and I have no problem?

TLMC
11-03-12, 08:41 PM
You have no problem

wesyder
11-03-12, 08:55 PM

I would say Perfectly normal mine does the same, also my compressor pumps up every time because it dumps the air a few minutes after i turn off the vehicle i have the long wheel base so probably more activity then the short wheel base due to more weight over the rear wheels

the cadillac man
11-03-12, 10:16 PM
I would say Perfectly normal mine does the same, also my compressor pumps up every time because it dumps the air a few minutes after i turn off the vehicle i have the long wheel base so probably more activity then the short wheel base due to more weight over the rear wheels

That isn't how the compressor does on my dads h2 as you can hear the valve clicking as it levels out the rear(even after the truck is off)

wesyder
11-03-12, 11:48 PM
That isn't how the compressor does on my dads h2 as you can hear the valve clicking as it levels out the rear(even after the truck is off)

The h2 is a different setup if i remember correctly theres no spring right? only bags which is why it doesn't dump the air

the cadillac man
11-04-12, 12:19 AM
The h2 is a different setup if i remember correctly theres no spring right? only bags which is why it doesn't dump the air

You are correct it does have air bags in place of the coil springs

I can see why it doesn't do the air dump(cause if the back of that truck drops quick it may be a scary event given the wight of it) plus the h2 has a duel compressor setup vs single setup that the rest of gm s suv's have.