: 2011 CTS-V Coupe Glitchy Rear View Camera

CTexaS-V
11-02-12, 12:28 AM
Been having issues with my back-up camera going a bit haywire on me recently and was wondering if anyone is having or has had the same issue.

Occasionally when I shift into reverse (manual transmission) my nav screen will switch over to the rear view camera as it should, but instead of the normal (moderately) clear image, I get an extremely dark image that has a bunch of static in it. I can still make out shapes in it, so I know there is an image there (the camera isnt just losing connection completely) but it is essentially useless, and a bit dangerous.

It will usually continue doing this if I shift out of reverse and shift back in, but it seems to clear up if I turn off the ignition and turn it back on again. I thought possibly it was caused by hot days, but cant prove any clear cause since it is such a sporadic issue right now, and it has kept doing it as the weather cooled down. Tried driving it to the dealer one time when it happened, but couldnt reproduce it when I got there.

Would appreciate any help or thoughts yall might have. Thanks in advance.

Only about 9k miles on the car also.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-03-12, 01:24 PM
CTexas-V, please let me know if you do decide to go back at the dealer at any point for a diagnosis! I can always follow up with them regarding your vehicle's status; email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com. In the meantime, I'll be sure to document your comment regarding your camera frustrations where GM departments can view it.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

oneman42
11-03-12, 07:10 PM
Been having issues with my back-up camera going a bit haywire on me recently and was wondering if anyone is having or has had the same issue.

Occasionally when I shift into reverse (manual transmission) my nav screen will switch over to the rear view camera as it should, but instead of the normal (moderately) clear image, I get an extremely dark image that has a bunch of static in it. I can still make out shapes in it, so I know there is an image there (the camera isnt just losing connection completely) but it is essentially useless, and a bit dangerous.

It will usually continue doing this if I shift out of reverse and shift back in, but it seems to clear up if I turn off the ignition and turn it back on again. I thought possibly it was caused by hot days, but cant prove any clear cause since it is such a sporadic issue right now, and it has kept doing it as the weather cooled down. Tried driving it to the dealer one time when it happened, but couldnt reproduce it when I got there.

2011 CTS-V Sedan MT 7k miles
Had the same issue once and it never came back.
George

CTexaS-V
11-03-12, 08:38 PM
Katie, thanks for the follow up. Been out of the country for a bit so I will be stopping back by the dealer and follow up with them again. Will tell you what I find out.

KFinnell81
11-05-12, 09:55 PM
I also have had this issue. Has happened a few times since I got my V. 2012 CTS-V Manual Coupe. 1900 miles.

BigDog001
11-06-12, 06:22 PM

I have the same issue was going back to the dealer -- happens alot to me -- but interestingly only in my garage it seems -- wondering if I could possibly be getting interference from Garage door opener?

kandyhunt
01-23-14, 02:04 PM
I am having the same issue. It is seems to be getting worse. 2011 CTS hardly any miles.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-27-14, 01:31 PM
I am having the same issue. It is seems to be getting worse. 2011 CTS hardly any miles.

kandyhunt,

Welcome to Cadillac Owners! I apologize for the rear-view camera concern you are experiencing with your CTS. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation. Please send us a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership name and location. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Wray
02-05-14, 11:35 PM
I absolutely love my 2012 CTS-V Coupe with a manual six speed, but it has the worse back up camera I have ever seen.
It only has about 5,000 miles and it has been back to the dealer twice.
during both trips to the dealer I asked that the back up camera be checked and repaired.
The first time the service writer said the mechanic said the problem was because I should be switching between the day and night setting.
What an insult to someone's intelligence!!!!!
When took it back for the first year service I told the service writer, who was real nice this time, about the problem and to not insult my intelligence again with that type excuse.
I told them to keep the car as long as they needed, since my wife and I have and enjoy a lot of different type vehicles, I didn't need the car for every day use.
The service writer got the mechanic and shop foreman to check out the back up camera system, but nothing changed or improved.
Bottom line I was told that the back up camera system on my CTS-V Coupe just isn't very good.
My wife and I have tried out several brands of vehicles and found that the cheapest Ford product has a back up camera system that far exceeds the back up camera that GM has on their top of the line model.
Recently I have seen a KIA TV commercial where the back up camera on the KIA is better than my CTS-V Coupe.
I have a very steep driveway and occasionally need to back the CTS-V up my driveway due to limited parking space.
Because the back up camera is so bad I have to ride the clutch, stop and open the door more than once to see where I'm going while stopping and starting.
The clutch over heats/burns and smells really bad.
The inadequate back up camera is going to significantly shorten the service life of my clutch.
I have primarily owned GM vehicles; but we also have/or have had M-B, Audi, BMW and Porsche vehicles.
The service experience we have experienced at the Cadillac Dealer is no where near as good as what we experience at the European vehicle dealers.
I would like the opportunity to contact the Cadillac Customer Care representative with my information.
Like I said the CTS-V is my first Cadillac and I absolutely love the car, but don't understand why GM would ever produce their top of the line vehicle with such an inferior back up camera system.

emperors6
02-10-14, 03:15 AM
Agreed, and it's positioned in such a way that road salt easily gets on it. I have a similar system on a Toyota Camry and it is light years ahead. Also, the picture quality on the V is worse, plus it has no guide lines. LOL.