: Front passenger side "clunk"

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-31-12, 10:48 AM
When I go over speed bumps I get a clunk, when I put the the drivers side in the break of a speed bump I get the noise, passenger side in the break of a speed bump no noise. I also notice that the passenger side front tire is starting to feather. Anybody have an idea of what this could be?

truckinman
10-31-12, 11:30 AM
Worn strut and/or strut bushings possible.

Ludacrisvp
10-31-12, 11:31 AM
don't drive over speed bumps .... :) problem solved. (this is basically the same answer I get to my speed limited to 120MPH message)

Have you replaced any shocks and how is your alignment?
Anything bent under the front passenger side?
I don't remember if you have AWD or not....

1BadCadSTS
10-31-12, 01:00 PM
Lower control arm. There's a tsb on it. Check the bushings. They are not serviceable requires replacing whole control arm.

DarkMingBlueSTS
10-31-12, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys...lol luda...have not replaced shocks/struts, alignment seems to be good...should I remove the wheel and wheel well liner and look for leaks and feel for lose parts? It's a rwd, fe1 suspension I think...

ddalder
10-31-12, 11:21 PM
Have you checked your door strikes?

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-01-12, 12:08 AM
Have you checked your door strikes?

No but I do remember reading that

ddalder
11-01-12, 12:28 AM
I've been chasing a clunk for a very long time. The technician addressed the service bulletin about clunking calipers, GM replaced one of my rear shocks and the spindle (with a little resolution). I was nearing the end of my rope when I read MCNE's thread (below). The strikes are bolted securely to the car, it's the cross bar that the latch catches onto that loosens slightly. Sure enough, all four of mine were bad. Once they were replaced, no more clunk. I'm actually enjoying my STS again (it was really grating on me for a long time though).

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/269331-interior-noise-driving-me-nuts.html

Grab the cross bar and (fairly aggressively) pull up and down on it. If it makes a clicking noise, it's loose. Over bumps, this is amplified into a clunk like noise through the body. In speaking with a GM tech, they have had a few different vehicles where these have been a problem.

----------

This was most noticeable and annoying driving over some speed bumps and slightly recessed manhole covers or potholes. It was very common at slower speeds (although not exclusive to this).

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-01-12, 07:29 PM
I haven't checked the strikes yet but that doesn't explain the tire starting to "feather"

1BadCadSTS
11-01-12, 07:30 PM
Pretty sure I told you check the lower control arm. That would explain the tire.

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-01-12, 07:36 PM
Yes you did badcad but look up in the thread alil to where I was saying something about "removing the wheel" will that tell me what's wrong?

ddalder
11-01-12, 08:16 PM
I haven't checked the strikes yet but that doesn't explain the tire starting to "feather"
Understood. The reason I mention this is that sometimes focus is put on trying to associate multiple symptoms to a single problem. This isn't unlike an ambulance call where the complaint may be chest pain and some symptoms don't fit the problem, only to find that there is also another concurrent but unrelated problem. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's always important to consider that something else may be causing the tire problem. It's very possible the problem is related to steering or suspension. If this was my car, I'd have it in for an alignment as the first step. This clearly needs to be checked, along with the front end. This will depend on how much work you can or will do on your own.

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-01-12, 08:46 PM
Trying the alignment was exactly my thought too dd. But I will also check those strikes :)

1BadCadSTS
11-01-12, 09:27 PM
No you do need it up in the air for a good look though.

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-01-12, 09:39 PM
Ok I'll see what I can do badcad

1BadCadSTS
11-01-12, 09:57 PM
See attachment.

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-03-12, 11:34 AM
Dd guess which strike had the wiggle and pop noise in it?....yup the front passenger side door...badcad I checked the strut (no leaks), jacked up the car and no wiggle in the wheel but like you said I couldn't get it high enough with the jack to check all of the bushings. So I'm gonna take it to an alignment shop and have them check it

1BadCadSTS
11-03-12, 11:40 AM
Make sure they check the front lower control arm bushing. Look for a tear like I showed. There is a tsb on it GM knows of the deign flaw. Newer arms have a larger bushing with less missing material.

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-03-12, 12:14 PM
Ok, will they be able to tell me what's wrong at the alignment shop?

1BadCadSTS
11-03-12, 12:33 PM
Depends if there's an actual mehanical failure and if your shop is competent.

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-03-12, 12:59 PM
They should be they build custom mud trucks and have one of those laser alignment machines

ddalder
11-04-12, 04:17 PM
Dd guess which strike had the wiggle and pop noise in it?....yup the front passenger side door...badcad I checked the strut (no leaks), jacked up the car and no wiggle in the wheel but like you said I couldn't get it high enough with the jack to check all of the bushings. So I'm gonna take it to an alignment shop and have them check itI'll be interested to hear what the final outcome is with this. Personally, for the cost, I'd replace all four strikes. If your car is anything like mine, I'm sure the others will follow. Since they aren't and expensive item, it might be worth the reduced future aggravation.

DarkMingBlueSTS
11-04-12, 04:40 PM
I will update after I get some results, thanks again

1BadCadSTS
11-04-12, 05:56 PM
goodluck