: Buick/GM steering column question

Jesda
10-30-12, 10:47 PM
Figured I'd ask here since the same column was used for so many years. My 92 Riviera has a short in the column.

First, when I yank down on the steering wheel, it turns on the high beams. Then recently, it started turning the gauges on by itself. The shop it was at said the horn blared on its own. Additionally, the turn signal does not cancel itself.

I picked it up after having the harmonic balancer and serp belt tensioner serviced and got home fine after a jump start. I shut it off and checked around the cabin to make sure no lights were on. The following afternoon, I went to start it but got faint lights on the dashboard and it didn't have enough juice to crank. The battery is on a trickle charger now.

Is this a common issue for these steering columns? Is it hard to remove the wheel and service the wiring or is there likely a bigger problem with a broken intermediate shaft or column? It steers just fine and drives quite well.

This diagram I found looks rather intimidating:
http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/exploded/6008.png

Stingroo
10-30-12, 10:55 PM
I've torn into my column twice. It's not SUPER hard, but if it's wiring, it would probably be easier and more labor effective to just replace the column from a junkyard car and keep its keys.

CadillacLuke24
10-30-12, 11:43 PM
Jesda translation: take it to the shop.

Man, he must be getting attached! Actually trying to fix it!

cadillac kevin
10-31-12, 12:01 AM
Jesda translation: take it to the shop.

Man, he must be getting attached! Actually trying to fix it!

he's not attached...he just had to find another reason not to come buy speakers from me. First it was harmonic balancer (oh no...car is ticking), now the steering column (oh no...dash lights were on and car won't crank over because the battery is dead.) pfft...such excuses. whats next?

Jesda
10-31-12, 09:56 PM
Sheeeeeeit.

Stingroo
10-31-12, 09:59 PM
Column replacement isn't that hard at all. Find one with a set of keys and you're golden. If not, all you have to do is remove the wheel, clock spring, and lock plate to swap a lock cylinder into it.