: Cadillac the most reliable domestic carmaker

CadillacLuke24
10-30-12, 07:55 PM
Consumer reports came out with their rankings. Cadillac is 11th overall, and Toyota was first. Cadillac did move up 14 spots, which is good.

http://www.freep.com/article/20121029/BUSINESS01/121029054/Consumer-Reports-reliability-Toyota-Ford-GM?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Kad4Life
10-30-12, 07:58 PM
I love my car .

truckinman
10-30-12, 08:11 PM
I love mine as well. I love the drive to work. Everything is so smooth! Love driving it!

ThumperPup
10-30-12, 08:28 PM
Consumer reports came out with their rankings. Cadillac is 11th overall, and Toyota was first. Cadillac did move up 14 spots, which is good.

http://www.freep.com/article/20121029/BUSINESS01/121029054/Consumer-Reports-reliability-Toyota-Ford-GM?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

was having lunch with my dad today he is old school still reads his paper during every meal lol
but he was reading and said cadillac was 11 on the list
i asked him what number are they out of american auto makers
he said number 1 i was like right on
now thats why you need to drop the MB's and and Jag's and and get a caddy he said no thank you

CadillacCastle
10-30-12, 09:10 PM
How do they rate a car as American made? 50% 80% 90% ? I thought when buying my Cadillac I was buying an American car. But when I bought some parts for my car from the Cadillac dealer they had made a in CHINA sticker on them. Are any GM cars or trucks completely made in the USA?

ThumperPup
10-30-12, 09:51 PM
How do they rate a car as American made? 50% 80% 90% ? I thought when buying my Cadillac I was buying an American car. But when I bought some parts for my car from the Cadillac dealer they had made a in CHINA sticker on them. Are any GM cars or trucks completely made in the USA?

i am not sure i belive any cars are compeltly built ever 100% by parts of the country of origin

weather they are built in the U.S or assembled in the U.S.A the way i look at it is its an American company
its an American car
makes the M-Class and GL-Class SUV and R-Class wagon at its factory in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama. do i consider that an American car hell no
its a German car built in the U.S but i bet atleast one of the parts on that car is built here in the u.s weather its a bolt that is forged here in the u.s a nut that is threaded here in the u.s or anything els carpets that are made here in the u.s for the flooring
but still its a german car

CadillacLuke24
10-31-12, 12:52 AM
That's open for debate. There's several Hondas, Toyotas, and Volkwagens built stateside. On the flipside of the coin, the GMT 800 SUVs (i.e. 2000-2006 Suburban, Escalade ESV) were assembled in Silao, Mexico. My guess would be that the rating is based on the location of the vehicle's paretn company HQ.

talismandave
10-31-12, 01:31 AM
They may be built here but profits go back to the company's country of origin.

CadillacCastle
10-31-12, 04:24 AM
They are really global made cars then. Like when I bought a new 1979 Harley 80CI Low rider $5500.00 It had parts made in at least 5 countries even though it had made in the USA all over it. The starter was a Hitachi Japan, Kehein carb, Showa brand forks Japan, rear shocks Canada, rear brake light switch Germany, rubber prake pedal pad Italy, and parts made in the USA.

CadillacLuke24
10-31-12, 01:07 PM
Exactly. It all depends on the parent company's country of origin. I'm sure many of Alexandra's parts are Chinese (cough cough ACDelco cough cough). Despite the horror stories concerning the Seville, she rolled off the Hamtramnck line in Detroit. Designed here, put together here, and most importantly, maintained here BY ME. :D

93DevilleUSMC
10-31-12, 03:15 PM
Made my day!

vincentm
11-01-12, 06:45 PM
*hugs his 15yr old Eldorado* Love you, you pain in the ass!

CadillacLuke24
11-01-12, 07:16 PM
^THAT should be the motto of CadillacOnwers.com :histeric:

The Raven
11-01-12, 10:08 PM
How do they rate a car as American made?

Simple...is it made by an American company?
Yes = American car
No = not an American car

There's really nothing else to it. No percentages needed.

Nightshadow
11-03-12, 11:49 AM
*hugs his 15yr old Eldorado* Love you, you pain in the ass!

Dude, I wish I didnt have to get rid of my 1995 Eldorado, it is an unbelievable ride, as I am sure you know. I have the ETC model, so the torque on that thing is just unreal... people always comment on it when they first ride in it.

Aron9000
11-03-12, 08:17 PM
I take these "Consumer Reports" and "JD Power" surveys/studies with a grain of salt, especially when they're talking about reliability/durability of a whole car company. Every manufacturer builds great cars and they also build turds. The only real way IMO to determine what cars are really "bulletproof" is to do research on a forum like this one. Sometimes there are certain model years to avoid(2007 Escalades and the then "new" 6l80e tranny come to mind), certain models to avoid, or certain powertrain configurations that are more problematic.

Jesda
11-03-12, 08:22 PM
Which model year does this survey apply to? JDP's long-term study goes back three years.

If this does the same, then it means the CTS, DTS, STS, XLR, and Escalade were surveyed rather than the latest models.

talismandave
11-03-12, 10:55 PM
I take these "Consumer Reports" and "JD Power" surveys/studies with a grain of salt, especially when they're talking about reliability/durability of a whole car company. Every manufacturer builds great cars and they also build turds. The only real way IMO to determine what cars are really "bulletproof" is to do research on a forum like this one. Sometimes there are certain model years to avoid(2007 Escalades and the then "new" 6l80e tranny come to mind), certain models to avoid, or certain powertrain configurations that are more problematic.

The other thing to remember is they are not weighted as to severity of the problem. A trim screw falling out and a head gasket are both a single event failure.

Aron9000
11-04-12, 03:11 AM
The other thing to remember is they are not weighted as to severity of the problem. A trim screw falling out and a head gasket are both a single event failure.

THIS . . . . .

People having problems with their MyFordTouch(which IMO is a PITA to use) is not the same as the transmission falling out of their brand new $70,000 Escalade. That being said, I wouldn't buy a car that pisses me off every time I try to adjust the heat or change the radio station, aka a new Ford with their stupid screen system. Thank goodness that it is an option.

Now on to my rant . . .

Personally I loathe cars with a big touch screen in the dash. Smart phones have made factory installed navigation screens obsolete IMO. If I don't know where I'm going, I google the address on my I-phone, study the map for a minute, and go. I also have a friend with a garmin GPS that I've borrowed a couple of times I drove to Atlanta, thing worked like a charm and cost less than $200.

Maybe I'm a bit obsessed, but I did spend about 20 minutes on google maps the first time I went to Atlanta, just looking at what roads went where. I also printed off some directions on the places I needed to go. I found out that every road in the city was named Peachtree with a different word after it. AKA Peachtree Street, Peachtree Blvd, Peachtree Center Blvd, Peachtree Drive, etc were not the same thing.

MattHatlee
11-15-12, 05:55 PM
carcomplaints.com is a really good website to get a idea of what cars to steer away from. I love that site. It stopped me from buying multiple cars. And thats how I ended up with my amazing Seville.