: General Comment to Escalade Hybrid

european caddyfan
10-30-12, 02:16 PM
Dear Friends:

Fantastic: a car of nearly 3 tons of empty weight, a true Big Block V-8, but a small fuel consume like an old-fashioned Volkswagen Beetle (with its air-cooled 4-Boxer rear engine).

But I have two severe citics about:
* too small payload for a 8-people-car;
* not available in the more comfortable extended version of the Escalade line.

That's all for today,
yours truly:
European Caddyfan

MrHolland
10-30-12, 05:08 PM
Welcome to the forum. lots of good people and info in here. Enjoy your stay!!

evois
10-31-12, 06:27 PM
Dear Friends:

Fantastic: a car of nearly 3 tons of empty weight, a true Big Block V-8, but a small fuel consume like an old-fashioned Volkswagen Beetle (with its air-cooled 4-Boxer rear engine).

But I have two severe citics about:
* too small payload for a 8-people-car;
* not available in the more comfortable extended version of the Escalade line.

That's all for today,
yours truly:
European Caddyfan

I have an escalade hybrid and it is thirsty like a V6 and with towing of a V8 engine. since it is only a 6.0 L, the towing is not high for service warranty issues. other than that, a very reliable and solid truck.

Rustico
10-31-12, 09:06 PM
I have a general praise about Escalade ESV. Powerful like a bull. Thirsty like a drunk. Beautiful like a Swedish supermodel. Makes the teenyweenie "smart car" appear like paper tiger in Serengeti jungle.

-- I love you Escalade ESV

MrHolland
10-31-12, 10:55 PM
^^^^Thats one way to put it!":thumbsup:

vipermann1
11-02-12, 03:00 PM
Escalade ESV Hybrid, I have been wanting one for years.

Every year my dealership says, maybe next year..Maybe next year, Maybe next year.

This is the best idea, an ESV Hybrid. This thing drinks so much gas. A lot of road warriors like and many Soccer mom, would definately want the Hybrid with the extra space.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-05-12, 04:33 PM
Welcome, European Caddyfan, and thanks so much for your feedback! If you ever have questions and would like me to locate the Customer Service team nearest you, please don't hesitate to send me an email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

bagbklyn
11-06-12, 09:40 AM
I'm sure if they came out with a hybrid ESV it would cannibalize regular ESV. Everyone would get that over the regular ESV. I know I would. They should make it standard at this point.

european caddyfan
11-08-12, 02:51 PM
Never forget: modern V-6's, due to modern engine technique, are alrready much less thursty than 6-cyl.-engines of old cars. Fuel consume of an Escalade Hybrid is less than half of that of a Caddy Seville of the 70-ies. American car industry really has progresed.

Yours truly: European Caddyfan

Gunnar75
11-10-12, 12:22 PM
I balance our fuel mileage out by using a family auto average. My car is an 08 Camry (40mpg)Hybrid and the wife has an 07 Escalade ESV (13 mpg). So as a family we average about 26 driving equal miles. Makes the ESV mileage not seems so bad!

MrHolland
11-10-12, 07:05 PM
Not a bad way of looking at it.

Fast Eddie
11-12-12, 01:20 PM
I just wish they would give us a diesel! I just drove an x5 diesel which was fast, comfortable, quiet and around town I averaged 28mpg...

48Dodge
11-12-12, 01:58 PM
I just wish they would give us a diesel! I just drove an x5 diesel which was fast, comfortable, quiet and around town I averaged 28mpg...

I'd like that as well. Main reason I went with the esv is we can take extended family vacations and only need the one vehicle.

european caddyfan
11-23-12, 01:19 PM
I'm sure if they came out with a hybrid ESV it would cannibalize regular ESV. Everyone would get that over the regular ESV. I know I would. They should make it standard at this point.

And where's the problem about?

If GM would substitute the normal Escalade Hybrid by its ESV-version andt stop to make the standard,
anybody would become sad about?
The better always kills the good. That's life, so is business!
My personal comment would be "congratulations, GM!"

It would neither cause too much trouble, nor be too expensive for them.
Contrary to European car manufacturer, who always devellop model by model individually, the American GM always uses a construction kit like system: some few modifications to better quality and a Chevrolet becomes a Cadillac, some other slight modifications and a standard becomes an extended version.
So: dont worry about. Would be better for all customers.:)

DG2
11-23-12, 01:31 PM
Based on the raves about new Tesla and the fact that they can get 150 miles out of a 100% high performance /luxury electric car. I hope we do see a new and vastly improved Hybrid Escalade in near future

soulsea
11-23-12, 01:48 PM
We will not ... all the GM full size hybrid SUVs are being discontinued after the 2013 model year.

DG2
11-23-12, 02:04 PM
We will not ... all the GM full size hybrid SUVs are being discontinued after the 2013 model year.

For now. Doesn't mean they aren't discontinuing now ( weak mpg anyway) to make room for new technology in 2015. I do not think GM is saying goodby for good to hybrid SUV
JMO.

Fast Eddie
11-23-12, 02:11 PM
Lets face it. In the end GM will screw the pooch and come up short. It's what they do best. It sounds like the next escalade will not have flat folding third row seats and I doubt they will be smart enough to come out with a diesel. If this is true I own my last (4th) escalade....

DG2
11-23-12, 02:31 PM
That is a big mistake if they do not put in a fold flat third row and surprising knowing how much the market demands. With the increasing popularity of Range Rover I would expect the next gen slade to be off the charts. So far the new GM has delivered great cars, let them go " no hold bar" on the flagship of GM. Escalade

My 2011 is my first Escalade and we love it. I have been blown over by how nice it rides, the style and dependability. It's the only car I have ever owned that had not one thing go wrong in over a year and 26,000 miles if ownership.

soulsea
11-23-12, 02:41 PM
If you install a fold flat 3rd row seat in these trucks you'll lose the solid rear axle.

Fast Eddie
11-23-12, 04:13 PM
If you install a fold flat 3rd row seat in these trucks you'll lose the solid rear axle.
Great!! Lets move past the 1800's. it is virtually the only truck line on the planet that doesn't have flat folding third row seats. Having to lugs those pieces of sh&t in and out of the truck will kill me one of these days. I have vowed to make any sacrifice necessary to never buy one again. Even if this is my last GM truck (after 8 in a row). I know MANY people who have said the same thing, and they all currently own a full size GM. If by the mid 2010's GM is still in the 1800's it will be over for their dominance in the truck market....

soulsea
11-23-12, 04:34 PM
Temporal hyperbole notwithstanding, I'd venture to guess that there are just as many folks who buy these SUVs (not just Eskys, but all their other variations) with towing in mind. Given that these large SUVs are somewhat of an anachronism to begin with, I'm sure those that tow appreciate these vehicles providing them a solid rear axle to do so more effectively. For many, the GM full size SUVs are the only option in this regard.

Btw, it is a moot point anyway, the next gen SUVs retain the solid rear axle feature.

I don't have a horse in this race, I neither tow nor do I schlep a large family, so I either take them off and stick them in storage or i just tilt them up and have all the cargo space I need. I think on this one I'll just do the latter, these bastards are too heavy carry to the attic. :)

Fast Eddie
11-23-12, 04:41 PM
Ford seems to do fine towing close to 10,000 pounds with an independent rear. Frankly, towing anything close to 10k is really pushing it on any SUV anyways...

soulsea
11-23-12, 04:48 PM
Mmm indeed ... no sra, so you got the fold flat seat + less wheel gap + you get that spiffy feature that allows the cargo side windows to open up an inch.

When you trading the platinum in for that awesomeness that is the navigator? :)

Fast Eddie
11-23-12, 05:06 PM
I will not buy Ford crap. I will probably have to look at a GL. Nice truck, but not as much cargo room as I would like. It looks like GM is sliding comfortably back into their old ways. There really is no other truck like the ESV out there so put out a mediocre product because people will still buy it. Out if the thousands of escalades sold how many people tow over 8000-9000 lbs regularly to make a SRA necessary? 1%? Probably a tenth of a percent. And that carries over to the Chevy versions. If you need that much towing you should get a crew cab with a diesel.

soulsea
11-23-12, 05:16 PM
I haven't been in a GL lately so I could be wrong ... but doesn't you ESV have more cargo room with the 3rd row seats flipped up than the GL does with its 3rd row seats folded flat?

Btw, if you ever drive down to S. Florida and most of the South, all you ever see is Escalades/XLs/Suburbans towing huge boats ... although I have no hard numbers, I'd venture to guess that your estimate as to how many folks tow with these SUVs is way too low.

Fast Eddie
11-23-12, 05:46 PM
Yes, the ESV has a ton of room. The GL is no small truck though, with the third row flat its pretty big. This is the only reason I don't currently drive a GL. In terms of everything else it embarrasses the E. The GL is much faster, handles like a car, gets better economy, is quieter, has a diesel available, is much more luxurious with far more features, has a folding third row, has a climate control that does not need the perfect alignment of settings to allow you to hit the recirculate button, has paint that is not an embarrassment to oranges, not to mention fit and finish that is beyond reproach. I am not ready to make the sacrifice in room yet, but to sacrifice everything else, it is getting harder and harder to justify...

It might be regional- up hear I have virtually never seen an escalade tow something. Except mine of course. Suburbans yes, but not that often. It is way too huge a sacrifice for too many people to go with an SRA (like I said, ford's EL tows 9200 lbs with folding seats, how much does an ESV tow?) GM truck sales have plummeted while GLs and RRs are up big. People want luxury...

----------

It looks like the ESV only tows 7600 pounds. That's not good considering the 9200 lb rating on the EL with an indie rear

soulsea
11-23-12, 05:51 PM
We have slightly derailed this thread. :)

Anyhoot, the GL is a nice vehicle, but it's really apples and oranges even with a SWB Escalade like mine, nevr mind an ESV like yours ... it's basically the size of an Acadia, maybe a smidgen bigger. The only options for full size SUVs are ours and submodels, the Exp/Nav, QX/Armada, LX/Sequoia, and the full size Range Rover. The new ones of the latter look nice if you want to spend $100k and have it parked at the LR service bay 1/3rd of the time.

On topic ... I'm going to miss those hybrids. It was really a vehicle ahead of its time in many ways. Now it's probably going to be replaced with some sort of V6 ecoboost type thing.

Oh well.

Fast Eddie
11-23-12, 08:06 PM
Size wise it is in the same category as the others, but more on the inside than the outside. It is not a body on frame truck and as such it sits lower, but it is big inside. The LX is actually small inside. The QX is now a solid competitor, except it looks like melted cheese.

Back on topic- they should put all of their focus into diesels- better gas mileage than hybrid trucks without sacrificing performance.

sdgc
11-23-12, 09:09 PM
we can land a man on the moon, but cant get mpg's figured out......

maybe there was no moon landing after all.... oh boy......

DG2
11-23-12, 10:19 PM
Let's see maybe we will all be surprised A Tesla like system pared with fold flat seats. Standard of The World. Oh yeah !!

european caddyfan
11-30-12, 04:07 PM

Dear Friend:

If Cadillac Escalade Hybrid will be discontinued, it has been a commercial flop for the GM.
But to discontinue the making of full-size-cars with hybrid power trains is a fatal mistake.
The future question will not be: "How expensive our fuel might become?"
But even more serious: "How much fuel willl be allowed to burn and how much CO2 may be allowed to produce within the engine of our cars, by the authority of Law?
Car manufacturers that do not accompany political changes, will stop to make full-size-cars at all. If the GM does so, it will mean the death of all full-size Chevrolets and Cadillacs. GM, do you wish this?
Even if commercial return using alternative technologies like the hybrid power-train inicially gives more loss than profit, to continue and develop it even more is an excellent future investment.

Gm's acual Escalade Hybrid has been its first attempt.
They should try to make it more perfect:
* even more efficient gasoline V-8 engine and a more efficient energy recovery by the electric system,
* a cheaper battery,
* substitute as much steel sheet as they can by aluminium, to lower the empty weight of almost 3 tons close to only 2 tons.
Car will become much less thursty. And its maximum payload, which is to low for an 8 seat car, might be quite higher.

Now it's not the time to stop with the Escalade Hybrid, but to make an even better one!!!

soulsea
11-30-12, 04:09 PM
I agree you ... but it's not my decision to make, I'm just passing on the news.

evois
11-30-12, 11:38 PM
not true. they will keep the escalade hybrid but not the tahoe hybrid or the yukon hybrid.

soulsea
11-30-12, 11:52 PM
It be true.

Nevertheless, we can speculate till the marketeers come home ... we'll know soon enough.

HyHoe will always be in my heart tho. ;)

evois
12-01-12, 02:02 AM
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079004_gm-may-kill-two-mode-hybrid-pickups-suvs-report

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/heard-gm-cancels-next-generation-hybrid-trucks-suvs-113163/

they will keep the escalade hybrid like it should. check your sources.

soulsea
12-01-12, 10:58 AM
Evois, I'm the one that gave you the second link on my thread on greenhybrid when it was first published, so I'm kinda aware of what it says.

I happen to have other sources.

Like I said, we shall see ...

No one will be happier than me if I'm wrong.

european caddyfan
12-01-12, 11:50 AM
It sounds like the next escalade will not have flat folding third row seats

Dear Friend:

According to American car press they began with an Cadillac Escalade, the 3rd. seat row of which was not foldable and laborios to remove. It was substituted by a foldable one. Now is it substituted again by a not foldable. I see some helplessness in it: the GM seems to be not totally satisfied with the Escalade conception.

I think they are pretty right: it should always be made in its extended version and should be a 4-in-1, not only a 3-in-1:
* Cadillac is synonymous for comfort. There cannot be a car without any seating comfort at all in the 3rd seat row. So the standard version of the Escalade should die and only the ESV continued.
* It`s already a 3-in-1: with 3 seat rows its a luxury mini-bus, without the 2nd and the 3rd it is a luxury and powerful van, with the 2nd but without the 3rd it's a 5-seat family car with a very large luggage space.
If the 3rd seat row were as luxurious as the 2nd or if the 2nd could be put in the place of the 3rd: without the 2nd seat row and only the 3rd in its place, the Escalade could be a limousine with a very large leg room, like an extended Rolls Roce Phantom, just a true 4-in-1. Why not?

Yous truly: European Caddyfan

evois
12-01-12, 12:28 PM
deleted...