: 2005 Escalade Lost power to gauges, windows, locks, heater

RexCaroll
10-30-12, 02:59 AM
Hi,
I went to start my 2005 Escalade this morning and it started and runs fine but not much else is working. The lights are ok and the turn signals are working. The gauges are all dead. the speedometer worked but all the rest stayed at the bottom of there reading. The heater is going on and off. windows are dead. power locks are dead. The message bar under the speedometer was giving messages to check traction control, Rear ride control, abs. I had to get to work so I started driving and the gauges and everything came back to normal for a short time and then back to crazy. When i got to work I tried shutting it off and restarting it. It started every time but the gauges, locks and windows still do not work. The battery must be ok because it starts the motor. I cant see it being a fuse because it came back for a short time. I am thinking a bad ground but not sure where to start looking.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

the cadillac man
10-30-12, 08:22 PM
Hi,
I went to start my 2005 Escalade this morning and it started and runs fine but not much else is working. The lights are ok and the turn signals are working. The gauges are all dead. the speedometer worked but all the rest stayed at the bottom of there reading. The heater is going on and off. windows are dead. power locks are dead. The message bar under the speedometer was giving messages to check traction control, Rear ride control, abs. I had to get to work so I started driving and the gauges and everything came back to normal for a short time and then back to crazy. When i got to work I tried shutting it off and restarting it. It started every time but the gauges, locks and windows still do not work. The battery must be ok because it starts the motor. I cant see it being a fuse because it came back for a short time. I am thinking a bad ground but not sure where to start looking.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Does the radio do anything when this happens?

It sounds like the bcm has a loose connection if it ain't failing I have a wiring diagram and if you want I will see where the ground point is for the bcm.

RexCaroll
10-30-12, 10:54 PM
HI,
I drove it about 6 short trips today. The radio is dead. The moon roof works and the map lights work. Windows are dead, seat heater dead. I put a volt meter on the battery 12 volts with engine off 13 when engine is running. Seems low but i feel it is charging. let me know anything you can.

the cadillac man
10-30-12, 11:25 PM
HI,
I drove it about 6 short trips today. The radio is dead. The moon roof works and the map lights work. Windows are dead, seat heater dead. I put a volt meter on the battery 12 volts with engine off 13 when engine is running. Seems low but i feel it is charging. let me know anything you can.

Sounds like the bcm is failing (it's a wonder you can even drive the truck) FYI the charging is done by the PCM

But if you want me to I can see where the ground point is for the bcm in the truck.

RexCaroll
10-30-12, 11:48 PM
Please take a look at this. I am going to check this tomorrow. Getting late.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/1412982-anyone-know-anything-about-escalades.html

the cadillac man
10-31-12, 01:01 AM
Please take a look at this. I am going to check this tomorrow. Getting late.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/1412982-anyone-know-anything-about-escalades.html

Ok I looked at it and I have wiring diagrams along with a few data sheets which might help you locate the grounds in the truck(just let me know your email)

As far as the location of the bcm it is under the dash on the drivers side near the brake pedal you might want to check the connection at the bcm

But I had a car that did this and it sounded like a bad connection at the bcm or the bcm was failing as there was times I couldn't start the car

FYI a bad ground at the battery terminal can cause stuff like this at times so check there too

RexCaroll
10-31-12, 06:43 AM
Thank you for all your help. The connections at the battery look good and I have taxmen them off a few times thinking I was resetting the computer. It did not seem to make a difference. My email is aandmsigns@gmail.com

jnrsesv
10-31-12, 07:07 AM
Hopefully its the ground wire that is mentioned in the link.

the cadillac man
10-31-12, 10:18 AM
Thank you for all your help. The connections at the battery look good and I have taxmen them off a few times thinking I was resetting the computer. It did not seem to make a difference. My email is aandmsigns@gmail.com

Give me some time I will email you the wiring diagram sometime today(I have a a midterm test today but it should last too long)

RexCaroll
10-31-12, 12:25 PM
I took the black and gray off at the back of the engine and is was a not too bad. I wire brushed it and it looked good wire brushed the block and put it back on and it made no difference.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz225/cvx20/BCC6B119-C851-445C-A0A1-010D2E171227-1714-00000121DEBC73D3.jpg

I was looking on ebay at BCM and there are many. I did not see any that had the blue square. What is the color square for?

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz225/cvx20/22799916-66A6-4AF0-A2CC-F5EA659DC34E-1714-00000121EABE5AA7.jpg

the cadillac man
10-31-12, 03:59 PM
I took the black and gray off at the back of the engine and is was a not too bad. I wire brushed it and it looked good wire brushed the block and put it back on and it made no difference.

I was looking on ebay at BCM and there are many. I did not see any that had the blue square. What is the color square for?

Rex give me a few minutes and I will email you the stuff you need

RexCaroll
11-02-12, 12:50 PM
Thanks for sending me the Wiring diagram. I have not had a chance to work on it,it's been raining here for the past couple days. I had to drive into work this morning and when I started out it was still not working the gauges the windows and the door locks. A mile down the road everything came back on. This makes me think even more that there's a bad ground or positive connection somewhere. I am going to drive it to lunch now we'll see how it goes.

Well it went on and off twice in a half mile drive. :-(

the cadillac man
11-02-12, 04:50 PM
Thanks for sending me the Wiring diagram. I have not had a chance to work on it,it's been raining here for the past couple days. I had to drive into work this morning and when I started out it was still not working the gauges the windows and the door locks. A mile down the road everything came back on. This makes me think even more that there's a bad ground or positive connection somewhere. I am going to drive it to lunch now we'll see how it goes.

Well it went on and off twice in a half mile drive. :-(

I am glad to help and I hope the wiring diagrams help you out as they have me so far

Lets hope that is a loose connection(unlike my DVD player which is throwing a lost communication code and is doing crazy stuff)