: Trailer Towing Concern

latrae75
10-30-12, 01:08 AM
Ok, so I use to own an '04 Escalade 6.0 AWD, and towed a car on a rented uhaul auto transport trailer with the Caddy from the east coast to Colorado with absolutely no issues at all, and I mean no issues. It pulled the $@&! out of the load with ease and the rear suspension remained level and kept the slightly tail high attitude even with the 7,000 lbs trailer. now, I now own a 2008 Escalade, and am planning on doing the same thing with it very soon. My question? Has anyone with the new 07+ Caddy ever pulled a 6,000 lbs + trailer with it? Have you had any issues with the rear air suspension not doing it's job and "sagging" like many SUVs with unsupported suspensions do when towing? Any overheating, transmission, or engine issues? I know the new Caddy has more power than the 2nd generation, but I do realize that in conjunction with power, you need a capable platform as well. Bottom line? Can my '08 Caddy handle this task as well or better than my older '04 Caddy did? Please Advise. Help!

MrHolland
10-30-12, 09:29 AM
Lots of people tow with their Cadillacs. It'll handle it, no problem!!! Enjoy your trip!!

----My only problem with mine,,,,is feeding it!!!!!

cutterman
10-30-12, 12:01 PM
Should be fine. You may want to consider putting some fresh gear oil in the diff's if they have not been maintained lately.

hcvone
10-30-12, 05:23 PM
I towed the same trailer with my 03', 05', 07's, 08 (you get the picture) all the way and including my 12's, the 03' and 05' had the same basic air lift as the 07's and up do in the rear. My trailer loaded is about 7k lbs, I have towed all over the US and Canada in the winter, the 07's and up tow much better because of the extra power, but just like with the 02-06 models, if you tow then adding Hotchkis sway bars are a must IMO, and big brakes too if you are in the mountain, and want to stop.

turbocobra
11-14-12, 01:38 AM
I installed a set of Wilwood 16" brake kit on the front of mine bc it will not stop when pulling a trailer with any kind of weight. As for power I thought it was annoying with the constant downshifting with cruise set at 70 mph. My EXT would get hot when pulling up hills. I ended up putting a 72mm turbo kit on and now it will tow a house nd that annoying downshift is gone. Also, I get better MPG with the turbo. Not saying you need a turbo but It does help significantly!

shag766
12-09-12, 05:14 AM
i pulled a 1/2 ton truck on a u-haul trailer from the east coast to central ontario and was impressed how it did the job. 07 esc. i drove truck for years, not easily impressed.

36dbldz
12-09-12, 04:17 PM
I installed a set of Wilwood 16" brake kit on the front of mine bc it will not stop when pulling a trailer with any kind of weight. As for power I thought it was annoying with the constant downshifting with cruise set at 70 mph. My EXT would get hot when pulling up hills. I ended up putting a 72mm turbo kit on and now it will tow a house nd that annoying downshift is gone. Also, I get better MPG with the turbo. Not saying you need a turbo but It does help significantly!

What made you choose Wilwood over Baer brakes?

hcvone
12-10-12, 08:43 AM
I had Baer and Wilwood, with Wilwood you will have to use slightly smaller rear rotors, but I have found their kits much better fitting than the Baer because of the center hat that Baer tells you to use with the kit, I believe Mr. Murphy had some issues, I did not because my shop switched out the centers of my fronts, but later they were removed because of ice damage. :(

36dbldz
12-10-12, 06:25 PM
I had Baer and Wilwood, with Wilwood you will have to use slightly smaller rear rotors, but I have found their kits much better fitting than the Baer because of the center hat that Baer tells you to use with the kit, I believe Mr. Murphy had some issues, I did not because my shop switched out the centers of my fronts, but later they were removed because of ice damage. :(

But will be good only if it's a front upgrade?

Fast Eddie
12-10-12, 10:21 PM
Shouldn't be a problem. Use tow haul mode when facing hills and I prefer a little extra tongue weight to keep it stabile. If you have a lot of miles on the fluids I'd recommend a change. As hcvone mentioned- sway bars help out a lot....

36dbldz
12-10-12, 10:29 PM
Thanks yall

Royalton
12-10-12, 11:08 PM
Here's a link to the sway bars many of us here have on. It's the lowest price of any site i believe.
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Cadillac&autoModel=Escalade&autoYear=2009&autoModClar=AWD&brand=Hotchkis+Sport+Suspension