: Just a thought or (dream) regarding our halogen headlights

SrxNamja
10-30-12, 12:07 AM
For the amount of money that us base/luxury srx owners have paid we honestly deserve better lighting. If we were to be allowed to install after market lighting that were based on oem specification and dot compliant we as the consumer should have the right to have either service or those that are tech savvy install them. I dont see why not and with certain members already running hids with no issues. We deserve this without voiding any sort of warranty as long as no cheap after market/extreme high wattage kits or messing with factory wiring is done. Our housing is designed for hid light as it will not blind incoming traffic.

GM as in general would receive happier current customers and also generate more income for those that get them installed at the dealership. (ex; buy philips kit/eliminator have dealer install with labor of 200$ depending on location and bam we have 400-500$ hid upgrade without hurting any warranty as this would be considered a modification. I don't see this as a lose situation for GM and a win for us. sure this sounds like a dream but I will contact Cadillac and ask them there thoughts on this. Also with the help of forum members signing on to this then it could help. Just a thought and more likely a dream but why not. If any GM dealers or service workers have anything to say, please share your thoughts on this.
:thumbsup:
I love Cadillac and if a 20k car has stock xenon then we as the American luxury front runners should not be nickled and dimed for things that should have came standard.

(end theoretical rant) If I didnt have to drill a hole in the light housing then i wouldn't mind as much but we all know how warranty denials can be outlandish even if there was no relation to the actual problem.

Please post signed if you agree to this. You never know:yup:

----------

even if you own a premium and have the system yet agree then please sign.

SrxNamja
10-30-12, 04:45 PM
194 views and nobody remotely interested? I guess its not as important to some as it is to others. To each is own

allgm
10-30-12, 05:22 PM
I agree with you .I thought by model year 2013 Cadillac would make HID standard on the Luxury . After all it is a Cadillac. They might sell more. As for me if a car does not have HID's I will not buy it.

phunter1
10-30-12, 06:02 PM
I'd like to see a factory HID conversion kit as well, as long as it is not excessively pricey. Not keen on having to shell out big bucks for the factory HID headlight housings though. All of the after market kits that I have seen, won't turn the headlights on at reduced power for daytime running lights, you have to run the headlights at full power as daytime running lights. Not sure how a factory conversion would deal with this. Perhaps use the high beams as daytime running lights instead? In the meantime, I have installed Phillips Crystal Vision Ultra halogen bulbs in both my high and low beam headlights. I feel that they have greatly improved my headlights. Not quite as good as HID's, but certainly acceptable to me. If Cadillac can sell a fog light kit for our cars, then there is nor reason they can't offer a HID headlight conversion kit as well. My 2 cents.

Phil

SrxNamja
10-30-12, 07:08 PM
I agree with you .I thought by model year 2013 Cadillac would make HID standard on the Luxury . After all it is a Cadillac. They might sell more. As for me if a car does not have HID's I will not buy it.

Exactly, the problem is most assume they would come but dont really think about it until afterwards if they arent wary of what HID lighting is.

I'd like to see a factory HID conversion kit as well, as long as it is not excessively pricey. Not keen on having to shell out big bucks for the factory HID headlight housings though. All of the after market kits that I have seen, won't turn the headlights on at reduced power for daytime running lights, you have to run the headlights at full power as daytime running lights. Not sure how a factory conversion would deal with this. Perhaps use the high beams as daytime running lights instead? In the meantime, I have installed Phillips Crystal Vision Ultra halogen bulbs in both my high and low beam headlights. I feel that they have greatly improved my headlights. Not quite as good as HID's, but certainly acceptable to me. If Cadillac can sell a fog light kit for our cars, then there is nor reason they can't offer a HID headlight conversion kit as well. My 2 cents.

Phil

I'm waiting for my fogs to come in and be installed by the dealer and have the Philips crystal visions in for the low beams. How do they look? The only thing I'm worried about is that they will look cheap blue but from the reviews they sound like the opposite.

There are already oem type conversions available but a lot of scare tactics from service sways customers. I had a deville that I used 5000k hid kit and they lasted up until I sold the car with no headlight melting issues or drl issues when running them during the day so I'm 100% sure ours would be more then sufficient. Philips makes our oem halogens so why not be able to use philips conversions to? As

phunter1
10-30-12, 08:03 PM
The Crystal Vision Ultras look fine. While the bulbs are blue, there is no blue in the light. I believe they are 4300K. In the low beam projectors you cannot see the blue bulb, but you can see it in the high beam if you look closely. I'm happy with them so far, but have no idea how long the will last. At this point, I'm not considering upgrading to HID's, but that could change, of course.
There is another type of bulb called a HOD bulb, which works in place of the halogen bulb. They are pretty new on the market and the reviews have been pretty mixed. There have been some good comments on the Camaro forum though. Personally, I'll wait for someone on here to give them a try and report back. Here is a link to the bulbs:

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/oraclehod.aspx

There are issues with the DRL's using the Phillips HID conversion. Inspectorudy on this forum, did that install and his DRL's didn't work. He had to add flicker eliminators which solved the problem by putting the DRL lights on at full power. If you search, you should be able to finds a lengthy discussion on his install. Perhaps he'll add to this conversation.

Phil

kiboater
10-30-12, 08:23 PM
I bought a 2013 SRX mostly because I was so satisfied with my 2011 Enclave company car. I admit I did not research the headlights when i bought the Cadillac because I assumed they would be included on the base model even though I bought a luxury. The Cadillac lights are pitiful compared to the lights on the Buick Enclave.

Problem is no one at Cadillac is aware because the company cars they drive are loaded models and all of them have the newer lights. I guess the only way we have to express our concern is the CSI survey and our choice of our next car. A kit to upgrade the lights would cost them nothing but I doubt if it will ever happen.

inspectorudy
10-30-12, 09:12 PM
The only physical mod to our cars when installing the HID low beam upgrade is the larger hole in the removable back plate of the headlight unit. If ever there was a warranty issue you could easily buy two unaltered plates and install them before a dealer visit. I cannot tell you how long the HID bulbs will last going full time but so far they are an eye catcher in the daytime and will probably do more to attract attention to your car which would mean less lane intrusion or pullouts from side streets. It is mind blowing that Cadillac has gone the cheap route when even cheaper cars have HIDs as standard equipment. There are several GM sycophants on this site who may have an inside comm channel that could be tapped to see what the GM thinking on this obvious failure is. As for your wish that GM would offer to do the work and install aftermarket HIDs and maintain the warranty I believe it is a wish that will never be answered. The whole dealer empire is based on GM training and manuals and cost manuals to decide their cost and charges. For them to start winging it and install someone elses equipment without the network back up that GM provides on parts and warranty makes your idea a money losing proposition for them. Like the position I am in now with my '11 SRX there are so many things that I would like to have but I know that going aftermarket is a loser in the long run. I am going to look at a '13 to see what the difference will be on a trade. I would love to have a supercharger, HIDs low and high, a good backup camera, heated wheel, a good NAV system that is user friendly and alterable, adjustable ride magnetic shocks, adjustable rear seats fore and aft, a sunroof switch that will work without having to study it each time a position is required, side mirrors that come with the convex area to see a car in your blind spot,(The Chevy Equinox offers this as standard equip), and a driver seat with side bolsters that hold you in without having to depend on a seat belt that allows side to side movement. I am amazed that the GM wizards thought that the instrument cluster needed to be alterable but not the NAV. How may ways do I need to know how fast I am going or how to display the engine readings in clever ways? How about a smart card slot on the front of the radio? Sure you can use the input in the glove box but that isn't very user friendly. I know you all have your on pet wishes so put them on this site and maybe someone at GM will read this meme.

SrxNamja
10-30-12, 09:51 PM
I haven't had a chance to contact them but I'd like to see what the response would be.. as far a longevity of the bulbs or ballast falls down to the actual kit. As stated earlier I had a 2003 deville that I ran 6000k hid conversions with them on during the day and never had an issue with overheating and a bulb burnout. I went 4 years with them so in essence there should be no problems for those that do decide to install them.

The thing that urks me the most is drilling a hole in the housing where as before I didnt need to do it and also the need to remove the entire bumper to do so. in essence you are correct that i could buy 2 unaltered housing units but that would be a alternative I'd rather not just in case I get in for a routine oil change or tune up under warranty and needing to swap them constantly.

I can't stress enough how the only American luxury car does not come standard with hid lighting.

hawkowl
10-30-12, 11:49 PM
I have a 2012 luxury SRX4; added the fog lights, but still really dissatisfied with the headlights. Plan to trade the car next summer/fall, but unless I can combine HID/fog lights with smaller rims (not interested in big hard riding rims for winter driving on gravel roads), I probably won't be buying another caddy. Hope Cadillac/GM is paying attention...love the vehicle overall, but in this competitive marketplace, I don't feel I should have to compromise!

SrxNamja
10-31-12, 12:46 AM
another valid point is why have projected housing on halogen bulbs as that will decrease visibility as opposed to having halogens on regular reflective housing.

daddie2k3
10-31-12, 08:59 AM
I agree with you that HIDs SHOULD come standard on ANY LUXURY car as its a common luxury these days, but I also see the CTS without them and many other luxury cars out there if you get base or second trim level because its draws the sale to the higher trim level as I went for the performance trim for HIDs and navi. It's crazy how you can see certain Buick and even Chevy with Hids and see a Cadillac without but I will never forget the day (a few weeks after buying my SRX) a KIA crossover commercial came on and starting naming almost all the features of my SRX "new panoramic roof, power folding mirrors, and push button start, etc)....also I might be wrong for this but GM does not make any money off a customer going to dealership to get something aftermarket installed but its just the dealer who makes profit and pay workers the labor because dealers have didn't hourly labor charges

300:29:1
10-31-12, 09:48 AM
I have a 2012 luxury SRX4; added the fog lights, but still really dissatisfied with the headlights. Plan to trade the car next summer/fall, but unless I can combine HID/fog lights with smaller rims (not interested in big hard riding rims for winter driving on gravel roads), I probably won't be buying another caddy. Hope Cadillac/GM is paying attention...love the vehicle overall, but in this competitive marketplace, I don't feel I should have to compromise!
YES! I don't want or need larger wheels and tires, and shouldn't have to opt for them (along with some other fluff) to get HID headlamps. As others have stated here, I didn't give it alot of thought before buying, and by the time I realized that I couldn't get the HID's I accepted that. I will say that I've only had the car for three months and have not driven it that much yet. I'm just not seeing the headlights as being bad, but I know how HID's are, having had them on my last 2 vehicles. I remember driving my first vehicle with HID's as a service loaner. When I turned them on leaving the driveway, it was like the sun had turned on. As non-base owners, we expect HID's to be available if not standard. I will also say that as far as I'm concerned, any HID retrofit seems like less than a good idea to me. I guess the best compromise would be brighter bulbs. I am not doing that for a while for 2 reasons. My bulbs are still new, and it seems like a bit of a job to get in there and change them.
BTW-I paid over $800 to have the factory fogs installed and I think they look good. Maybe there could be a "lighting option/package" that would give you fog lamps and HID's.

SrxNamja
11-01-12, 11:29 PM
I agree with you that HIDs SHOULD come standard on ANY LUXURY car as its a common luxury these days, but I also see the CTS without them and many other luxury cars out there if you get base or second trim level because its draws the sale to the higher trim level as I went for the performance trim for HIDs and navi. It's crazy how you can see certain Buick and even Chevy with Hids and see a Cadillac without but I will never forget the day (a few weeks after buying my SRX) a KIA crossover commercial came on and starting naming almost all the features of my SRX "new panoramic roof, power folding mirrors, and push button start, etc)....also I might be wrong for this but GM does not make any money off a customer going to dealership to get something aftermarket installed but its just the dealer who makes profit and pay workers the labor because dealers have didn't hourly labor charges

Funny you bring up the Kia because that was going to be my purchase before the Srx came into play but as being a prior Cadillac owner I couldnt resist. Its funny though that Gm has a kit for the fogs but not the hids. I need to find another dealership after tomorrow when I get my fogs installed as my dealer has been a nightmare as far as customer service after the sale. I had to call in almost 10 times to get things done. Oh but they sure did call me 10 times a day to get me in there for the sale.

daddie2k3
11-02-12, 02:23 AM
Funny you bring up the Kia because that was going to be my purchase before the Srx came into play but as being a prior Cadillac owner I couldnt resist. Its funny though that Gm has a kit for the fogs but not the hids. I need to find another dealership after tomorrow when I get my fogs installed as my dealer has been a nightmare as far as customer service after the sale. I had to call in almost 10 times to get things done. Oh but they sure did call me 10 times a day to get me in there for the sale.

Yes I must say I was a little upset when I seen all those features for over 20k less than what I paid but I have always own nobody but GM and I know I bought the Cadillac name, quality, and warranty so I guess you can say all that is worth 20k and of course know your vehicle will hold its valve a whole lot longer than a Kia :)

tmw
11-03-12, 08:39 AM
I can't imagine installing hids would cause a problem. I did a retrofit on my F150 without issues, projectors and all (theretrofitsource). Installed them in new housings because the ones had yellowed. But worse case if I ever had to undo it, I could just swap the old housings back in. Even if you added a conversion, The wiring was all plug and play. Heck I even mounted the ballasts with Velcro, so I think I could remove the entire hid setup in 30 minutes.

As for melting, I think and my hands fell hids actually put out less heat than halogens...certainly use a lot less power (which I would translate to heat)l. If I recall halogens highs use, 65 watts and my hids startup with like 30 and run at 8 watts of draw.

Point is...just do it :)

SrxNamja
11-05-12, 12:18 AM
I can't imagine installing hids would cause a problem. I did a retrofit on my F150 without issues, projectors and all (theretrofitsource). Installed them in new housings because the ones had yellowed. But worse case if I ever had to undo it, I could just swap the old housings back in. Even if you added a conversion, The wiring was all plug and play. Heck I even mounted the ballasts with Velcro, so I think I could remove the entire hid setup in 30 minutes.

As for melting, I think and my hands fell hids actually put out less heat than halogens...certainly use a lot less power (which I would translate to heat)l. If I recall halogens highs use, 65 watts and my hids startup with like 30 and run at 8 watts of draw.

Point is...just do it :)

dont think they have retrofits just yet for the 2nd gen. I could do aftermarket but drilling a hole in the housing is something I'd rather not do just yet on a car with 150 miles on it and a risk of anything going wrong during warranty period. I could just buy some extra housings but seems like a hassle to swap them everytime I go in for a routine oil change or something else. i was looking at the kit from kbb and the review install on the srx but what didnt make sense is that there was no drilling required mentions on the install review http://www.kbcarstuff.com/2012-Cadillac-SRX-Volt-6000k-HID-kit-s/245129.htm . several members on here stated that it had to be done because of how the housing was built. Ill have be be patient and make due with the philips ultra vision to give a whiter and clearer view until the future or if something changes.

SrxNamja
11-05-12, 05:10 PM
Just got back from the dealership and had my fogs installed and replaced my stock halogens with the philips ultravision. they are actually decently white and do have an off yellow at certain angles but with them on full blast they look pure white. Ill post pics as soon I can resize. Is there a restriction to when I can post them up? I havent seen anybody post the philips yet so I figure I give people an idea

jimpeddycord.com
11-14-12, 09:18 AM
I installed Sylvania H11 SilverStar zXe High Performance replacement bulbs. They were $50 on Amazon. They aren't HID but they are much brighter than the stock headlights. They produce 4200K color.
I tried to install them myself but apparently as one gets older they lose all mechanical ability. I brought them to an oil change place and the guy did the job for me in 2 minutes for free so I threw $10 into the tip jar.
HID is now on my list for my next vehicle purchase.
Jim

300:29:1
11-14-12, 10:37 AM
I installed Sylvania H11 SilverStar zXe High Performance replacement bulbs. They were $50 on Amazon. They aren't HID but they are much brighter than the stock headlights. They produce 4200K color.
I tried to install them myself but apparently as one gets older they lose all mechanical ability. I brought them to an oil change place and the guy did the job for me in 2 minutes for free so I threw $10 into the tip jar.
Jim

Thanks for the feedback Jim. I too am concerned about my ability to install replacement bulbs, particularly after reading both in the manual and here about the details. I must say that the stock headlights do not seem all that dim to me, but I would like the brightest option available without having to make any modifications. I have had HIDs on my past 2 vehicles but couldn't bump up to the next trim level. I will almost certainly have them on my next vehicle, but it may be a while.

SrxNamja
11-14-12, 12:21 PM
Jim

wow, they managed to remove the bumper and install the lights that quick? i wish I could fin a oil change place that did that but I'm still under warranty so oil changes are free