: OnStar Issue

dfinkw
10-29-12, 08:21 AM
Hi -newbie here to Caddy forum. Just purchased a 2008 Escalade EXT. Only one issue - the OnStar isn't working. When either the Onstar button or Emergency button is pushed the light to the right blinks red. Spoke with the OnStar folks and they suggested going to the dealer. I'm wondering if there is a fuse (didn't see one listed in the owners manual)? Also have heard there is a seperate battery that can be replaced. Can anyone direct me to where the fuse(s) would be if there is one and/or how to replace the spare battery? Also - where is the "unit" located? Could it be pulled and replaced without dealer involvement? direction/picture links would be helpful. Thanks in advance -

krieghoff
10-29-12, 10:35 AM
OnStar is a great waste of money! Whenever anyone calls them they tell you to take it to your dealer.

You can call me and I can tell you that.

I could never figure out why anyone would pay for OnStar.[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

K9Caddy
10-29-12, 12:56 PM
If you have ever been in an accident, you would have different feelings. I was in a nasty head-on collision a couple years ago and Onstar probably saved the guys' life that hit me. As I gained consciousness from the impact, Onstar was on the phone with me as my cell phone was nowhere to be found. I had an ambulance on site in a matter of minutes as the guy was hanging out his windshield. Also, the sheer size and the airbags of the Escalade saved my life as well, I came out with no scratches, instead there was 32k in repairs.

DG2
10-29-12, 06:00 PM
OnStar is a great waste of money! Whenever anyone calls them they tell you to take it to your dealer.

You can call me and I can tell you that.

I could never figure out why anyone would pay for OnStar.

----------

I just purchased a 2013 Buick Verano for
my 17year old daughter. The safety and security Onstsr provides me is priceless. Should she ever breakdown , run out if gas etc. Onstsr knows exactly where she is and will send help. Ditto an accident. The other night she hit the blue button for an alternate route as the way home ( the road she knows) was closed for construction). Not only did Onstar set up a route and download to
Her car but the Onstsr advisor stayed on the call with her until she was safe at home.
Now that is Wirth every penny of the more the reasonable cost for this type of safety & security.

MrHolland
10-29-12, 08:44 PM
^^^^That!!!

ELUSIVE
10-29-12, 09:54 PM
Onstar is worth the piece of mind. I like having it.

evois
10-29-12, 09:57 PM
now you can locate your vehicle it it has been moved from your parking spot, e.g.airports, workplace, etc. like a find my iphone!

DG2
10-29-12, 10:39 PM
now you can locate your vehicle it it has been moved from your parking spot, e.g.airports, workplace, etc. like a find my iphone!

And remote start from your iPhone miles away. Perfect for traveling when plane lands in winter. Start from the runway. Cool stuff

chakde
11-01-12, 07:25 PM
About a month ago we had both our escalades stolen but thanks to onstar both were in police custody within 45 minutes of me finding out that they were missing. I had onstar on my 2003 denali till i replaced it with the escalade and for me it is worth every penny. Not to mention some of the conveniences mentioned above. I definitely like the remote start app and use it everyday in the winter.

kazza93203
11-01-12, 09:14 PM
Hi -newbie here to Caddy forum. Just purchased a 2008 Escalade EXT. Only one issue - the OnStar isn't working. When either the Onstar button or Emergency button is pushed the light to the right blinks red. Spoke with the OnStar folks and they suggested going to the dealer. I'm wondering if there is a fuse (didn't see one listed in the owners manual)? Also have heard there is a seperate battery that can be replaced. Can anyone direct me to where the fuse(s) would be if there is one and/or how to replace the spare battery? Also - where is the "unit" located? Could it be pulled and replaced without dealer involvement? direction/picture links would be helpful. Thanks in advance -

Most likely it's your VCIM. Does it ring or communicate at all? Usually if it doesn't means the cellular part of it took a dump, which needs replacement.

jlawsonz
11-02-12, 01:00 AM
Are you sure someone didn't install a newer vcim to get Bluetooth? That will disable onstar, but give you bluetooth phone sync ability.

vipermann1
11-02-12, 01:50 PM
OnStar is definately worth it.

Here are my positive experiences:

1 - At the mall, my Escalade wouldn't start. Onstar sent a tow truck.

2 - While driving the Transmission light came on, I did not even notice. But an incomming call came from Onstar stating there is a problem with my car. I checked, yup, Tranny light was on. I drove straight to dealership. They called the Dealership and setup an immediate appoinment and a loaner car was ready to go when I arrived.

3 - On time my ex-Gielfriend stole my Escalade, I called On-Star, they promptly sut down the engine. And provided me the location of the vehicle.

I love On-Star!!!
By the way, I believe Lexus Link uses On-Star for their service (different operators).

OnStar Advisor
11-02-12, 02:37 PM
Hello dfinkw,

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with your system. Typically the blinking red LED means that the vehicle system in not connecting properly and only a Dealer can physically check the system connections in the vehicle. I'd love to help, if you have any questions just send me a message with some additional account information so I can look up your account.

-Jessica, OnStar Adviosr
Social Media Group

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-03-12, 08:35 AM
Welcome to the forum, dfinkw! I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress when you get the chance. It's great to have an OnStar presence on the forum now, so I hope you'll be able to connect with Jessica regarding your OnStar concerns. And if you ever have future vehicle questions you'd like me to investigate for you, my email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

chakde
11-07-12, 09:30 PM

Hey Evois, how do you track your vehicle with the app (I am assuming you are talking about the OnStar/Cadillac App)