: Is it normal for the navigation to tilt all the time?

pongta
10-28-12, 10:17 PM
Hello all,

I was curious as to if this is normal. Everytime I open a door or the trunk... the navigation tilts to the flush position and then immediately to the position I have it set to. I believe it does it also(after a few minutes) when you turn the car off. Just seems like a strain on the motor and wasn't sure if this was standard or not and can't imagine the reasoning for this.

Thanks...

ddalder
10-28-12, 11:11 PM
Mine does this too. I don't think that is abnormal behaviour.

curtc
10-28-12, 11:44 PM
Mine only tilts when I press the tilt button, definitely not normal.

Neko98
10-28-12, 11:48 PM
Iv only seen it do that if I'm using fob 2 after using fob 1 the time before. Never knew it could be controlled, where's the tilt button?

ddalder
10-28-12, 11:51 PM
Mine only tilts when I press the tilt button, definitely not normal.
I've had two navs from 2008 model year cars and one out of a 2010. All three have done this and I doubt very much all three were defective (two were brand new). I think if you shut off your car, open and close your door and wait a short time you'll find your screen will tilt.

Ludacrisvp
10-29-12, 01:05 AM
Yeah mine resets to being flush after power off for a few minutes.
Possibly aesthetics, possibly theft reduction by just having a smooth black panel flush with the dashboard.

ddalder
10-29-12, 01:07 AM
Iv only seen it do that if I'm using fob 2 after using fob 1 the time before. Never knew it could be controlled, where's the tilt button?

This is also something that can be saved as one of your preferences. Adjust your screen, store your preferences and it will tilt to this position every time.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Miscellaneous/IMG_3172m.jpg

Ludacrisvp
10-29-12, 01:47 AM
An interesting side note, the Escalades have this button as well and a similar looking Nav unit but the button is only enabled for 07-08 models and present but disabled on all newer ones.
At least that is what I gathered from the thread about it in the Escalade section. Seems like a really odd decision to me to disable a button after production begins. It appears to be disabled in the radio itself as replacement units for early model Escalades also have the button disabled.

eatyoursandwich
10-29-12, 10:37 AM
The tilt position of the nav screen is saved whenever you save your memory seat preferences.

So depending on your config, the car will recall the stored nav position when unlocked, remotely started, fob is in range, etc.

Also, depending on your config, the nav will move the the 'flush' position when no memory settings are called.

*edit* just saw ddalder already said what I was going to. I'll show myself out..

Charles Warren
10-29-12, 04:14 PM
I like that feature, looks cool. I noticed it at the dealership when i pulled the door handle on a newer sts.

pongta
10-29-12, 11:19 PM
Well at least I'm not the only one. I was thinking mine was defective.... relief.
Sound like there is no way to stop it from tilting and just staying in the position it was left in, at least i couldn't find it in the preferences. Thanks for all the responses.

----------

I use FOB 2... is it possible that its resetting to flush... and then waiting to see which FOB is going to be used to access the car, and then it adjusts to whatever position was stored to that driver? Is that what you were explaining eatyoursandwich?

B1n2fra
10-30-12, 11:07 AM
Completely normal