: Exterior Polish/Wax

brian-nicola
10-28-12, 07:23 PM
She's in the garage for winter. What wax and steps should I use to get the protection and deep shine?
2012CTS v Coupe Black Diamond TriCoat
Thanks!

rick g
10-28-12, 07:53 PM
She's in the garage for winter. What wax and steps should I use to get the protection and deep shine?
2012CTS v Coupe Black Diamond TriCoat
Thanks!

Pull it out and drive it! :)

brian-nicola
10-28-12, 07:56 PM
If we get a warmer sunny day, fur sure. But pouring rain and 36F here!

Mike02z
10-28-12, 08:01 PM
Everyone has their favorite wax/sealer so I will tell you what I do and 2 products I have had good luck with.

1.) I start off by washing the car. Some people will say use Dawn to get all the old wax off but step 2 makes that pointless. You do not need to dry the car.

2.) Get a good clay bar and detail spray. I have used Zaino, Griots and MeQuire's clay with either MeQuire's Showtime Detai Spray or Griots Speed Shine. You can also use regular water with some soap in it. Themost important part is that the paint you are claying is very wet to reduce friction. Without lots of lubrication, the clay can actually damage your paint.

3.) Glide the clay along the surface in a back-and-forth motion. DO NOT RUB. Let the clay do the work. Keep kneading the clay to always keep a clean section on the paint. If you drop the clay by mistake, toss it and get another. Anyhing that gets on the clay can damage your paint. Clay will remove all old wax and anything stuck to the paint. Do all painted surfaces. Stay away from matte textured areas. Do not clay anything but the paint.

4.) After I clay I was the car again but again, don't bother drying it. I then will use a machine polisher. There are many different brands and grades. If you car is very new, you can just use the least abrasive polish. I have used Zaino Z-PC and Griots #3. If your paint has lots of swirls you may need a more abrasive polish followed by the less abrasive. I currently use a Griots 6" RA polisher. Many people swear by the Porter Cable RA. The best polisher I have used is a Flex polisher but is a lot more expensive than the other 2 polishers.

5.) Remove polish, Wash and dry car.

6.) Apply your favorite sealer/wax. My favorite is Zaino Z5 but I have also had good luck with ReJex. Zaino leaves a smoother finish in my opinion but is more challenging to use. You MUST put Zaino on thin and if you use Z5 you need to add ZFX to it for the first coat. Many people prefer Zaino AIO as it is 1 step prep and sealer but I have never liked it and had mediocre results. ReJex does not have to be put on thin, it is cheaper and you don't need to worry about all the different Zaino "Z" Products. I don't think it leaves my cars as smooth as Zaino but it is less work for the folks not really used to dealing with Zaino. You can also get ReJex many places on line. With Zaino you need either a local distributor or purchase directly from their web site (Unless you live in NJ then you MUST buy from a local distributor).

7.) Repeat step 6 if you use Zaino Z5 or Z2 or ReJex as it layers. You cannot layer Zaino AIO. It's one-and-done.

As far as detail sprays, my favorite is Zaino Z6 between coats and Z8 as the final step. Z8 is expensive but one bottle will probably do 50 cars if used right. Make sure you use microfiber towels with the detail spray. I buy microfiber towels at Costco. 50 for like 20 bucks but I only use them once then toss them or use them for other things, but don't let them touch my paint again. They are so cheap, it's easier than washing them as they tend to pick up debris. Once a micro fiber towel gets debris on it, toss it or it may scratch your paint.

I know my routine is time intensive, I typically only do this one every couple years and just supplement with lots of hand washing and additional coats of Zaino Z5, Z2 or ReJex. I think the results speak for themselves and I have been using this routine for many, many years.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/jneon1/Mustang/81809/DSC_0007800x600.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/jneon1/Ocean%20City%20Boardwalk%20Corvette%20Show%202012/OC61092312Medium.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/jneon1/2002%20Z28/DSCN1044Medium.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/jneon1/2011%20CTS-V/9082012/CTS-V-12-mod090812Large.jpg

larry arizona
10-28-12, 08:35 PM
Totally agree with Mr. Mike. Been detailing for years. Zaino's line is by far the best I have used.

As far as "machine wheeling" I use a 1400RPM orbital milwaukee that I have used for 20 years, trust me NO rookie should every try this without proper training. Several wool and foam pads and 3M and meguiars products for any machine work for paint correction and swirl mark removal, Zaino it up with a few coats of Z5pro, followed by a couple layers of Z2 pro with Z6 for up keep and quick detail and for special occasions Z8 grand finale. Black can be a masterpiece!!!!!

M5eater
10-28-12, 08:59 PM
For a beginer (like myself)
I'd pickup an orbital (no forced rotation) like a 7424XP, and some meguiars MF pads with some M105.

The caddy clear is hard as diamonds. It's pretty hard to even do minor correction.

One thing that should be made clear is you can NOT do any sort of correction by hand. You can use a glaze product that essentially fills in the swirls, but they'll return after 1-2 washes, or less.

Mike's step-by-step is an extremely high level process, but the context you won't get from a guide is that Paint correction is an art.

You have to evaluate your needs and start from the least aggressive pad/polish combo and work your way up as necessary (as I said the V has very hard clear, so you're pretty safe starting medium in aggressiveness depending on your paint condition.)

Besides those things mentioned, detailing can be as involved and time consuming as building an engine.

You have paint thickness to consider, humidity, experience level, pad cleanliness, pressure, and technique in applying that pressure, overlap technique and learning when to tell when you should stop chasing that deep scratch because you'd rather not thin the paint there.

A full correction on a car the size of the V can take anywhere between 10 hours to 40 depending on the paint's condition. Keep that in mind too when you've dumped 3 hours into a door panel and you've only just finished removing the swirls and still need to do another couple of passes on a less aggressive polish or jeweling compound.

If you're absolutely serious about paint correcting, you should search around on some of the detailers fourms, autotopia, autogeek.net or similar.

I know that my interest waned significantly after I realized how hard our clear is and how much time it actually requires to satisfy my attention to details illness.

it's also important to remember that like Art, this is not something you're born with or can read up on an internet forum on 'how to'

it's going to take a lot of hands-on time and years of correction before you can get comfortable in knowing what you're doing with the 7424XP, and *then* maybe you can start to use the rotary and cut (pun intended) your correction time down .

cruiser68
10-28-12, 10:02 PM
+1 on Zaino. Stuff rocks.

larry arizona
10-28-12, 10:30 PM
m5, it takes a lot of time and a lot of mistakes and paint burns to learn how to machine correctly, now its beyond second nature. i get a lot of friends asking to borrow my wheel and i say F no, just bring over you car or boat and some beer and i will just do it.

zaino z5pro has filler and it last a long time especially when you use the rest of the zaino system. dont fear zaino its really easy to use.

thebigjimsho
10-29-12, 07:21 AM
So is my Porter Cable with Griots...

M5eater
10-29-12, 08:31 AM
What you mostly pay for (in my experience) is ease of use-- the Americana I have looks GREAT, but it's such a PIA to work with (it hazes a very light color). Gloss is relative, and polishes all cut mostly the same if you're looking at comparable products (high cut to high cut/ low cut to low cut). Some take a lot of work before they flash, and some flash instantly (like M105).

The most important factor is how you use them. Not which $100 can of wax you buy.

I'm not saying Zanio is a bad product, just that it's not the only high-end game in town that works.

jft69z
10-29-12, 08:35 AM
I agree with MikeO2z, Cruiser68 & Larry A. Started using Zaino on the black cars last year and won't go back to the other stuff again. People complain about the cost but it's actually pretty cheap when you consider it goes on very thin. A half ounce of Z5 or Z2 can do a car 3 times. It goes on thin & comes off with NO streaking. If it is smearing a bit during removal, let it dry a bit longer as it may be too cold or high humidity. Use the ZFX additive per the instructions and also use the Z6 detailer after each coat of Z5 or 2 per the instructions. That stuff is amazing and also goes a LONG way, no need to over do it while applying.

Great shine, durable, makes bug removal easy & the detailer is supposed to have some anti static properties as well to keep the dust & dirt from attracting to the car. I have noticed that it does work quite well after applying it to the car the first time & since then. Oh, their car wash soap is great too, it has a bit of polish in it so it gives the car a mini tune up as you wash it. Quick detail it after the wash if you want & then put your sunglasses on, the shine is so deep & bright.

Get the starter kit if you're interested as it pretty much has everything in it to get going, including the clay bars, applicator pads, car wash, polishes and detailer. Don't let the cost scare you, you will be able to do dozens of cars with that starter kit since the product goes on thin. It's not rocket science, just follow the directions. I chose to wash the cars with Dawn first, clay & then machine buff the entire car with a combination of wool & sponge pads, and a variety of 3M compounds depending on what I was trying to clean up (I also do collision work & restorations so using a buffer is second nature, be careful with that one). Good luck & check back if you have any more questions about the stuff, it seems there are enough of us here who like the stuff that can help you out.

Joe

larry arizona
10-29-12, 02:16 PM
Starter kit will last you longer than it will stay good. Shelf life is about 2 years and it would be hard to go through full bottles of Z5 and Z2 on one or even two vehicles in two years time. 100% agree that the price is not that bad when you figure out how far it goes. The thinner each layer the better, this is a product where less is more. light layers are more of them is better than heavy layers and less of them.

I am addicted to Z6 and Z8 as well. Buy lots of these as they are so good. I skip alot of washes by using Z6, just amazing stuff. I looked deep at the car the other day in the sun and I really have no reason to even do a light foam pad wheel with a swirl remover while its in storage this winter. Does not need it. I have a couple light spot repairs from where the window tinter knees rubbed on the rear qtr while cutting the tint on the rear glass and the hood has some light rail dust pits from when I originally clay barred it but other than that zaino has done an amazing job of swirl protection .

cdog533
10-29-12, 03:02 PM
While Zaino is a good product, there are certainly other products (Meguiars, Optimum, Duragloss) that will deliver similar results.

As stated, I agree it's a good 20 hour process to do a compound-polish-wax. Then figure interior, wheels, and engine bay, and you can quickly approach 30-40 hours for a full detail.

Vincentc112
10-29-12, 04:45 PM
I'm a big fan of zaino.... Also wolfs chemicals makes great products.. Their hard body if flat out awesome

larry arizona
10-29-12, 09:04 PM
regardless of what brand or system you use, the key is using one and putting in the work. It won't take care of itself.

----------

btw, does anybody still use butter errrr grease errrr wax???? Carnuba is the worst.

hcvone
10-30-12, 06:22 PM
Been using Zaino for 20 years and selling it for 15 years, there are many good products, we had 36 shops in the 80's and 90's and used mostly Meguair's products, they are good but customers wanted something that lasted longer, in the 80's your only real choice was Liquid Glass if you wanted durability, now there are several that offer durability, but none outlasted Zaino in terms of durability, or I would be using it on my cars and boats. With any product as said prep is the key to getting the best results and making the product last the longest

----------

Starter kit will last you longer than it will stay good. Shelf life is about 2 years and it would be hard to go through full bottles of Z5 and Z2 on one or even two vehicles in two years time. 100% agree that the price is not that bad when you figure out how far it goes. The thinner each layer the better, this is a product where less is more. light layers are more of them is better than heavy layers and less of them.

I am addicted to Z6 and Z8 as well. Buy lots of these as they are so good. I skip alot of washes by using Z6, just amazing stuff. I looked deep at the car the other day in the sun and I really have no reason to even do a light foam pad wheel with a swirl remover while its in storage this winter. Does not need it. I have a couple light spot repairs from where the window tinter knees rubbed on the rear qtr while cutting the tint on the rear glass and the hood has some light rail dust pits from when I originally clay barred it but other than that zaino has done an amazing job of swirl protection .

Zaino shelf life

I found that room temperature gave the best longevity for Zaino
products... so that's what I prefer... The optical additives I use do
not like
extreme heat or cold. It will decrease there gloss enhancing properties.

When stored in a cool dry place. Avoiding extreme heat or cold. Shelf
Life is as follows.

Z-2 For optimum results use before 3 years.
Z-3 For optimum results use before 3 years
Z-5 For optimum results use before 3 years.
Z-6 5 years +
Z-7 5 years +
Z-8 5 years +
Z-9 5 years +
Z-10 For optimum results use before 2 years.
Z-12 For optimum results use before 2 years.
Z-14 For optimum results use before 2 years.
Z-16 3 to 5 years
Z-18 5 years +
Z-CS 5 years +
Z-AIO 3 years +
Z-PC 3 years +
ZFX For optimum results keep tightly capped and use before 24
months.

larry arizona
10-30-12, 07:24 PM
hcvone,

GREAT info. Thank you!