: 2013 SRT Viper

Usernam3
10-28-12, 06:08 PM
I saw a blue on yesterday on some guy's driveway and I HAD to drive back to take a look at it. That had to be the most beautiful thing that I've ever seen. I didn't even think they were out yet. Do you guys like it so far, or do you hate it? If you hate it, what is it that you don't like?

thebigjimsho
10-28-12, 08:23 PM
I like it because it's not a stupid caveman car anymore.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-28-12, 09:09 PM
I picked up both Automobile & Motor Trend today, both with substantial articles on the '13 Viper. What a tremendous improvement!!! Finally, an interior that isn't filled with shame and the new Viper is gorgeous too!!

Usernam3
10-29-12, 12:00 AM
I know Lamborghini helped design all the previous Vipers, but did they help with this one? Honestly, I've never cared too much for Lamborghini, but I've liked the styling of all the Vipers. And Jim, yes, now it's actually at least somewhat practical. The previous ones were death traps.

truckinman
10-29-12, 12:23 AM
I like it because it's not a stupid caveman car anymore.

I liked the simplicity of the previous models. Just bare essentials. Closest thing to the old Shelby cobras you could get in a modern day car. Just you and that massive V-10 engine.

talismandave
10-29-12, 12:34 AM
Not that I would be in the market for such a car, but I always felt the same as truckinman, I admired the simplicity of the originals. But, as I say, I am not the target market they are looking to please.:lol:

truckinman
10-29-12, 12:45 AM
The viper I really would want if I were in the market would be a 93 or so RT/10. Don't even have exterior door handles! 450 hp. Just a freaking beast of a car IMO. In other words, I'd like the original viper over the new ones.

thebigjimsho
10-29-12, 01:12 AM
Original simplicity. Please. The cockpit was a pit. The top of the windshield was in my line of sight. It was uncomfortable, unwieldy, clumsy, hot and impractical. It sounded like a farting tractor.

Driving a Viper and Vette back to back shines the light on how much of a turd the Viper was...

orconn
10-29-12, 01:16 AM
A lot of automotive turds are big with collectors!

truckinman
10-29-12, 01:55 AM
Original simplicity. Please. The cockpit was a pit. The top of the windshield was in my line of sight. It was uncomfortable, unwieldy, clumsy, hot and impractical. It sounded like a farting tractor.

Driving a Viper and Vette back to back shines the light on how much of a turd the Viper was...

It was uncomfortable bc of it's simplicity. Lol. And no one who's ever seen a viper would call it practical. As I said, it was the closest thing to the old 60s Shelby cobras you could get in a modern day sports car. All about brute force and nothing else. They certainly didn't have cross country rd trips in mind when they designed it

thebigjimsho
10-29-12, 07:18 AM
Yeah, but I fit fine in a Cobra. For how big a Viper is, I should at least drive it with easy enough access to important controls...

truckinman
10-29-12, 08:56 AM
Yeah, but I fit fine in a Cobra. For how big a Viper is, I should at least drive it with easy enough access to important controls...

I gotcha. Hm. Looking at the two, yea you'd expect the Viper to be much easier to fit in.

GreaseMonkey
10-29-12, 11:05 AM

A Viper is big? :suspect:

I'm on the project, as I left GM a few months ago. Been up close and personal with several new Vipers and they are absolutely gorgeous cars inside and out. Absolutely incredible.

concorso
10-30-12, 02:01 PM
A Viper is big? :suspect:Relative to the Cobra, its huge!

GreaseMonkey
10-30-12, 03:03 PM
Relative to the Cobra, its huge!

A little bigger, but not huge.

1967 Cobra

inches

Wheelbase

Front Track

Rear Track

Length

Width

Height

2013 Viper

Wheelbase

98.8 (2,510)

Track, Front

62.9 (1,598)

Track, Rear

61.0 (1,550)

Overall Length

175.7 (4,463)

Overall Width

76.4 (1,941)

Overall Height

49.1 (1,246)

orconn
10-30-12, 03:35 PM
Hey, Grease Monkey, when it comes to "sports cars" a wheel base of 98 inches is huge. But then back in the days of the Cobra, sports cars didn't (couldn't) have to accomdate drivers that weighed 250 pounds! Hell, even the "luxury" GT cars would have been uncomfortable for most of today's heffalumps!

ThumperPup
10-30-12, 04:06 PM
I picked up both Automobile & Motor Trend today, both with substantial articles on the '13 Viper. What a tremendous improvement!!! Finally, an interior that isn't filled with shame and the new Viper is gorgeous too!!

thats because fiat now owns dodge thats why they changed the interor up finnaly
i thought the 2013 doesn't come out untill next month
guess i was wrong

also i hear they are going to be putting things like TC and other saftey issues in it

my uncle had an 08 and it had no TC he could be cruising at 40 and stomp the gas more and light up his tired and wreck very easy that way

orconn
10-30-12, 04:15 PM
^^^ Supposedly if you buy a Cobra (of yore) or a Viper you are assumed to be an experienced and skilled driver of cars of this type. The fact that many idiots who have no business owning or driving these cars buy them and injure themselves is not a reflection on the cars themselves .... but rather the stupidity the buyer!

There is something to be said for mastering a truly high performance automobile and being able to drive it safely without the all the electronic "safety" aids that most cars come with today covering for the driver's ignorance and inexperience.

concorso
10-30-12, 04:43 PM
A little bigger, but not huge.

1967 Cobra

inches

Wheelbase

Front Track

Rear Track

Length

Width

Height

2013 Viper

Wheelbase

98.8 (2,510)

Track, Front

62.9 (1,598)

Track, Rear

61.0 (1,550)

Overall Length

175.7 (4,463)

Overall Width

76.4 (1,941)

Overall Height

49.1 (1,246)

You consider 20" difference in length to be 'a little bigger'? The E92 3-series is 180" long and the F01 7-series is 200" long. 20". The difference between the Cobra and Viper is the same as the difference between the 3-series and 7-series. We wont even start with the 8" difference in width. 20" is a lot in the car world.

thebigjimsho
10-31-12, 12:21 AM
Old Viper is still garbage.

GreaseMonkey
10-31-12, 08:51 AM
You consider 20" difference in length to be 'a little bigger'? The E92 3-series is 180" long and the F01 7-series is 200" long. 20". The difference between the Cobra and Viper is the same as the difference between the 3-series and 7-series. We wont even start with the 8" difference in width. 20" is a lot in the car world.

You used the word "huge" which is really subjective. One care compared to the other being huge, to me, is comparing a Smart car to a half ton truck.

I agree with you that 20" is a lot in the car world, but the Viper is nowhere near being a big car. To me it isn't a "huge" difference to the Cobra. Sit in one and then the other, let me know how "huge" it feels.

truckinman
10-31-12, 11:27 AM
People get to technical sometimes. Lol. Just sayin.

GreaseMonkey
10-31-12, 11:56 AM
People get to technical sometimes. Lol. Just sayin.

Yep. Apparently the length of a computer keyboard is huge!

Stingroo
10-31-12, 12:27 PM
Old Viper for the win.

truckinman
10-31-12, 01:24 PM
Yep. Apparently the length of a computer keyboard is huge!

Well it's only huge compared to a laptop keyboard. Other wise, neither ones really THAT huge. Hehe

93DevilleUSMC
10-31-12, 03:14 PM
Just describing the evil things I would do to own that car would get me permabanned...

concorso
10-31-12, 04:42 PM
You used the word "huge" which is really subjective. One care compared to the other being huge, to me, is comparing a Smart car to a half ton truck.

I agree with you that 20" is a lot in the car world, but the Viper is nowhere near being a big car. To me it isn't a "huge" difference to the Cobra. Sit in one and then the other, let me know how "huge" it feels. I didnt use the word 'huge' by itself. I said "Relative to the Cobra, its huge." It is. Ive driven both (replica Cobras...not the real thing, but have sat in the real thing) and while they did offer similar amounts of space inside, nooone with eyes would ever consider them to be similarly sized vehicles when looking at them from the outside.

----------

Yep. Apparently the length of a computer keyboard is huge!IT most certainly is...relative to the keyboard on my cell phone. You're not grasping my use of 'relative'... Oh well...

gary88
10-31-12, 05:26 PM
Pokemon car.