: To V or not to V?



dennych
10-28-12, 03:26 PM
Hey guys,

I've come across a crossroads at this point in how I should proceed with my next vehicle.
I'm in the process of finishing a deal with a private party seller for an optioned up 2012 CTS-V wagon at 59k (4k mileage and 3 1/2 years left on the b2b warranty). 45k of it is a 1.49% loan and the rest is cash. On top of that I'll be shipping it for around 1.1k and tax will be around 4-5k. That makes it about 20.1k cash up front and 45k loan over 3 years (about 1k interest in that loan)

My parents just called me today and said they want to lease my brother's 2010 fully optioned up m3 coupe for 500 a month for 2 years. Over 2 years that'd be only 12k... but of course no vehicle at the end unless my brother decides to stay in china and then I can purchase the vehicle. Or if not by then the new ATS-V will be out probably or new corvette or something.

What do you guys think?

M5eater
10-28-12, 03:58 PM
You either want the Vagon because it's something you're going to hold onto for 40 years or... you're not, because you're not a wagon guy.

There is no middle ground.

If the wagon doesn't make your root thingie tingle. Best wait for an ATS-V or C7. The 2nd gen CTS/CTS-V is pretty dated by car terms, an M3 is even more so.

neuronbob
10-28-12, 04:53 PM
If you want the wagon, do it. It's a once in a lifetime car. You will regret not doing it if you cancel your commitment now. Your parents can always use Swap-A-Lease or another service if they are interested in divesting themselves of the M3.

dennych
10-28-12, 06:34 PM
True.

I'm estimating depreciation on the wagon will bring it down to 30-40k in 3 years.
Also technically I could still buy a used V wagon after 2 years as they still have 2013's hitting the lots.

IBMike
10-29-12, 02:18 AM
At this level it all comes down to what you want (M5eater said it best!). This decision isn't based on finances, because there is no rational justification for spending this type of money on a car. So if the V trips your trigger, go for it. If it is just something to get you by until the next cool thing comes along, invest your cash, drive the M3 for a couple years and move on. If you're doing it because you feel obligated to help your parents/brother out, as mentioned above, there are other options out there to get them out of the lease.

dennych
10-29-12, 02:59 PM
I admit I do love most of the CTS-V Wagon besides for the typical nitpicks about the diff, some amenities, and Cadillac's general customer service.
Plus like I mentioned I still can get the Wagon in the future and I hear there may be hope for a next generation CTS-V to eventually get a wagon.

If I do buy the Wagon now, it is def for the long term. The lease proposition seems less attractive comparing other lease rates. I think I saw a deal for a 2012 G37x fully loaded with nav for $259 a month.

I'm leaning towards the wagon currently.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-31-12, 01:55 PM
If you want the wagon, do it. It's a once in a lifetime car.
Exactly, neuronbob!


I'm leaning towards the wagon currently.
:thumbsup:

Dennych, let me know if you'd like any further assistance along the way! I'm always happy to research questions for you while you decide. Email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service