: Sunroof Stopped Working

chrisnlbc
10-28-12, 12:14 PM
Hey Guys,

My 2005's sunroof just stopped working out of the blue. It worked fine just a few days ago, and now the button does absolutely nothing. Luckily its in the close position. I checked the 25a fuse under the hood, and its still good. I replaced just in case. Still nothing. Any ideas where to look? Thanks!

the cadillac man
10-28-12, 12:42 PM
Hey Guys,

My 2005's sunroof just stopped working out of the blue. It worked fine just a few days ago, and now the button does absolutely nothing. Luckily its in the close position. I checked the 25a fuse under the hood, and its still good. I replaced just in case. Still nothing. Any ideas where to look? Thanks!

Module or motor

chrisnlbc
10-28-12, 02:31 PM
Thanks Cadillac Man, is that the BCM or it has a seperate module?

the cadillac man
10-28-12, 03:34 PM
Thanks Cadillac Man, is that the BCM or it has a seperate module?

It has a separate module that is above the front of the headliner.

chrisnlbc
11-02-12, 01:29 AM
Wanted to update on this thread, Dealer fixed it. Supposedly a wire was loose in the fornt kick panel that controls the "Sunroof Relay". Repaired and working. Thanks guys.

the cadillac man
11-02-12, 08:43 AM
Wanted to update on this thread, Dealer fixed it. Supposedly a wire was loose in the fornt kick panel that controls the "Sunroof Relay". Repaired and working. Thanks guys.

Glad to help

Finesc
07-01-15, 08:42 AM
Hi,

Sorry for using an old post, but I feel that I have a similar issue. The problem started from the passanger side floor getting wet. It happened after a heavy rain, while the car was parked on the driveway. It seems to be only water from the sky in my floor. Anyway, I was drying the floor and pouring water to the passenger side front corner of the sunroof to see if it drains properly. I could not see very clearly where the water was coming out, at least most of it came to the ground close to where it should, I guess. Question number one is; where excactly should it come out, should the end ot the tube be visible somewhere?

The other issue I propably generated myself, now the sunroof doesn't work anymore. Completely dead, I think I might have touched the wiring while trying to dry the passanger side floor. So the question number two is; which particular wires or connectors in that area relate to the sunroof?

Any help would be highly valued.

the cadillac man
07-01-15, 10:20 AM
The drains in the front are just in front of the doors
The rear drains are just behind the front doors

Before probing the wiring I would first check the fuses to make sure non are blown

Finesc
07-01-15, 10:35 AM
Thanks, is the end of the tube supposed to be visible. I spent some time under the car with a flashlight and still couldn't see where the tube ends. I saw water dripping somewhere between the front door and the wheel.

Sorry not to mention, but the fuse I checked already.

the cadillac man
07-01-15, 12:06 PM
Thanks, is the end of the tube supposed to be visible. I spent some time under the car with a flashlight and still couldn't see where the tube ends. I saw water dripping somewhere between the front door and the wheel. Sorry not to mention, but the fuse I checked already.

I think so
I will check to be sure

Finesc
07-01-15, 05:39 PM
I went on trying to solve the sunroof not working issue. I did all kinds of checking on the wires and connections, I also took out the reley, cleaned it and tested with an old battery that it works (at least I got it to click). Then I put the reley back and all of sudden the roof opened and closed! Not sure which of the things I did, made it work. Once I got it open, I continued to investigate the draining issue. I tried to clead the tube with a thin nylon wire, hoping to find the end of the tube at the same. One of the turns in the tube was too tight and I couldn't get the nylon wire trough... I thought that's it for tonight. Tried to close the roof, but the damn thing didn't work again. So back to square one, and the roof is now open. I will try to find a new relay tomorrow, just to see if that is the problem.

the cadillac man
07-01-15, 06:44 PM
Sure sounds like the relay is dying

You can swap them around and see if it still does it or not

Finesc
07-02-15, 06:19 AM
Do you mean that finding an another similar relay in the car and using that? Which one would be similar?

I found out that it would be hard to find an Omron relay in Finland. But I guess they are all pretty much the same, if I just replace the relay and the connector.

the cadillac man
07-02-15, 09:33 AM
Do you mean that finding an another similar relay in the car and using that? Which one would be similar? I found out that it would be hard to find an Omron relay in Finland. But I guess they are all pretty much the same, if I just replace the relay and the connector.

Example swap say the fog light relay with the sun roof relay and see if the problem is still there

Finesc
07-02-15, 11:58 AM
I already jumped 87 & 30 in the connector, and it works! So this proves that the relay is dead, thanks.

Now I can continue with the original problem of passanger floor getting wet. At the moment it seems impossible that so much water would have come thru the sunroof, and clearly most of the water from the sunroof drains to the ground, even I can't excactly see from where... I will search the forum and do some further investigation and open another thread for that.

the cadillac man
07-02-15, 01:15 PM
Well that's one problem solved

Now I suggest you get a helper to do this as you will need to be inside the truck

The best way to check for water leaks is to run water(high pressure can work also) while sitting in the truck

If it's coming in around the sunroof it will leave wet spots on the headliner
Other possible culprits can be onstar and xm radio antennas(both require the headliner to be dropped to get to)

godsdiablo
07-02-15, 05:21 PM
Is the sunroof factory or aftermarket ? Maybe the gasket swelled and went bad

Finesc
07-03-15, 01:15 AM
Sunroof is factory. But to describe the problem a bit more, I've been in the car during a car wash (high pressure) and in a heavy rain, but there are no visible leaks. I think the water finds a way to the floor somewhere in the area where the fresh air intake is, or from the bottom of the windshield. And it seems to me that some water is stored somewhere, since I saw the floor getting wet still a couple days after the heavy rain. So I have lifted up (not totally removed) all the carpet from the passenger's side and blown some warm air there. I thought it was all dry, and when I left the car in the garage for the night, next morning there was some water again. Not that much but still.

godsdiablo
07-03-15, 07:02 AM
How about the antennas on top? Do they feel loose? Windshield moulding looks Intact? Only other thing would be roof racks , can't see much else leaking inside

Finesc
07-03-15, 08:23 AM
I need to check, if the water would go in to the roof racks, where would it come out - would it be inside the A-pillar? Somehow I get the feeling that the water goes in to the frame somewhere and then slowly drains to the floor.

Are you able to tell/guess that if a lot of water would go in to the fresh air intake vents between the hood and windshield, where would it come out? I mean that is there just an open space there (where you cannot directly see) or is there a possibility, that it could end up staying in there and then find it's way to the floor inside?

the cadillac man
07-03-15, 09:37 AM
Check the hvac drain
It's may be stopped up

I know as I had this issue with my car and it was the hvac drain blocked allowing the condensation from the a/c to drain out in the car on the passenger side floor board

godsdiablo
07-03-15, 10:36 AM
I would start disassembling and see if you can trace it